Photo

Aloe Vera Juice Is Proving To Be Useful For My Oily Skin And My Acne Scars...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#21 Oilygirl1980

Oilygirl1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

Aloe is still working well. The lemon oil is better, but it causes a rash so I can't use it. 

Right now, I'm experimenting with different herbs/tea like saw palmetto, black cohosh and spearmint tea to see if maybe working from the inside out is more effective. I saw a slight difference within a week and that has continued. I'm hoping the longer I'm on all of this, that maybe it will get even better. At least I'm off of all sugary drinks so that was a definite victory. 

I may also try peppermint oil. Hoping I'm not allergic to that too...

#22 Tom Busby

Tom Busby

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

Oilygirl1980, I just bought the most interesting essential oil --  Holy Basil (called Tulsi in India) -- a very pleasant clove and cinnamon smell with a touch of fresh cut grass. 

Tulsi is not the same as culinary basil, or ordinary basil essential oil, but the two plants are related.  I had to mail order it, and only found one US-based webseller that sold it, named Floracopeia.   Tulsi is the number one plant in India, and the plants and leaves are used for all kinds of holistic and aesthetic purposes.  It's slightly photosensitizing, so wear it at night or indoors, rather than in sunlight.

Five drops of Tulsi in 1.5 ounces of Aloe Vera doesn't oxidize the Aloe, and the two synergize so that the fresh cut grass smell becomes a slight "aquamarine" aroma (the principal characteristic of Chanel Blue cologne for men).  It still smells primarily like clove and cinnammon though, just as a heads up before you buy it, but the clove/cinnammon smell recedes and includes a "clean" smell after an hour or so.

#23 Oilygirl1980

Oilygirl1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

Wow this sounds great! What is it helping for you? Acne or oily skin?

#24 Tom Busby

Tom Busby

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

I'm trying to tame a malassezia-induced skin condition, characterized by red bumps and white flakes. The generic diagnosis is seborrheic dermatitis but a better description would be oily dandruff caused by malassezia yeast and a kind of immune deficiency. This can be co-existing condition with acne, and the red bumps look similar but without any comedones.

I'm also getting good results with Aquaphor, which is 41% petrolatum. I just figured out how to blend Aquaphor, which is really simple -- heat 5 grams in a small bowl in a pan with an inch of water to 120 degrees F, and it changes from a gel to a liquid.  Then blend in 5 grams Cetaphil lotion, stir for a minute, and then add the blend back into the full bottle of Cetaphil.  This way, the Aquaphor becomes part of the emulsion instead of remaining a clump.

Aquaphor must be blended into something else because it is way too greasy by itself, but it's still an interesting oil, because its principal ingredient, petrolatum, is a very long carbon chain oil, running from C-25 to C-30. Most oils run from C-12 to C-20, which are the medium length carbon chain oils that malassezia feeds on.   This Aquaphor blend is indigestible by the trouble-maker yeasts and it really softens my skin, more than anything else I've found.  More than Aloe even.

Edited by Tom Busby, 18 July 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#25 Oilygirl1980

Oilygirl1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:33 AM

Wow, i never would have thought of blending the two that way but it makes sense. Im surprised that doesnt clog your pores but im glad its helping with the issue. What causes the yeast infection? What is used to treat it?

#26 Tom Busby

Tom Busby

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

Yeah, I'm surprised Aquaphor is non-clogging to the pores, but blended at 2% it isn't. It's very pleasant and hydrating.

Malassezia isn't an infection, it's an immune system deficiency, or it's simply a yeast cell that evolved a long time ago and before humans even existed, in a way that allows it to tinker with the host's immune system and avoid detection.  

It's treated with Nizoral 1% shampoo (OTC in the US but you can buy it only online), and OTC 2% Nizoral everywhere else.  The active ingredient is ketoconazole.  Nizoral is effective on malassezia yeasts and nothing else. 

Hegor 150 climbazole shampoo, where the active ingredient is climbazole, is sold in the US only on eBay, but is OTC in Europe, is milder to the skin and more effective than Nizoral on malassezia

You can easily do a differential diagnosis for malassezia.  About 3-4 days after using Nizoral 1% shampoo on a daily basis (where you let the shampoo-lather stay on your head for 5-10  minutes), dry off, get dressed, and then stand in very bright sunlight and scratch your scalp -- if the air around you has a small cloud of dandruff looking skin flakes, then you have a good diagnosis for a malassezia-induced skin condition, which most people call seb derm because it appears as red bumps on the skin or around hair follicles, or as slightly thickened areas of skin that are itchy.  It hides from detection so you can't really determine whether or not it's a problem, except by trying to treat it and then seeing what happens.

#27 Oilygirl1980

Oilygirl1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:37 AM

Ive never heard of this but im kind of wondering if my symptoms match any of malassezia's symptoms. My scalp doesnt get super itchy, but when it is, i scratch the itch and generally pull out whats kind of like a blackhead. I worry that its blocking my hair from growing or making it thinner. (I have an oily scalp, and very fine blonde hair)
I recently threw out all of my favorite redken shampoos that i had been using for 15 years and went to johnson and johnsons baby shampoo and i no longer use conditioner. Just the detangler spray when i comb it out. Im not getting near the same scalp build up and it seems less oily too which is kind of weird. Wasnt expecting that result but im happy with it.
I tried some medicated shampoos but i have very long hair and its too drying even though i only wash the top of my head. The bumps that i did have were red and itchy from time to time, but they are nearly gone. I think discontinuing use of the stronger sulphates is what my problem was. Ive read so much about sulphate free shampoos lately so i think it was a good switch for me.