Photo

You Want To See Cortisone Atrophy? I'll Show You Atrophy.

213 replies to this topic

#101 hopeful503

hopeful503

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

Hey everyone!  As you may know I had my indentations filled in with boletera.  They're about 90% better now.  However I'm wondering if filling them in will have slowed the natural healing process?  Is it too late to do saline as well?  Maybe I should have tried that first.  I was just so desperate.  The filler will only last 6 months max.  

#102 Supernova30

Supernova30

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

Hopeful,

I would probably just leave it for now if I were you. I bet 6 months will be long enough for it to mostly heal on it's own and if it hasn't then go for the saline. The people in the Goldman study had it done many, many months after the cortisone injection (13 months for one) and it still worked, so I don't think there's a strict timeline for using saline. And 90% improvement is pretty good!

#103 mrsrobinson

mrsrobinson

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

what is boletera?  is that a temporary filler?  if that is the case I wouldn't add the saline to the mix now...

#104 hopeful503

hopeful503

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

Another thing--Arnica does wonders to help with bruising.  You can buy it a a whole foods or a natural foods store.  Or maybe a drug store.  You take 5 tablets a day 3X a day for about a week leading up to your procedure.  I've used it for surgery and for my filler injections and I didn't bruise at all.  

Ok thank you everyone.  I guess I can always try saline once my filler wears off.  I just hope that won't be necessary and it would have healed on it's own by then. Hoping the filler doesn't affect the healing process.  Boletera is a temporary injection that works for fine lines and depressed (untethered) acne scars.  

If you fill something in, how will my skin be able to fill back in when there is a foreign substance blocking it from plumping back up?  If that makes any sense..

#105 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

Hopeful503: I also have filler in my atrophy (Perlane). I was told that your body will still generate fat/collagen even if the filler is there.ni was told that by the time the filler wears off, the atrophy should be resolved. I can tell my atrophy is still there (it's only been about 9 weeks since the atrophy) because I can still see subtle lines on both sides as well as thinned skin in that area. But I THINK it's slowly getting better. It looks like my body has recovered some fat/collagen in some spots. But still thin in some. It's hard to explain but the tissue in that area still looks slightly sickly.

#106 hopeful503

hopeful503

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

Hopeful503: I also have filler in my atrophy (Perlane). I was told that your body will still generate fat/collagen even if the filler is there.ni was told that by the time the filler wears off, the atrophy should be resolved. I can tell my atrophy is still there (it's only been about 9 weeks since the atrophy) because I can still see subtle lines on both sides as well as thinned skin in that area. But I THINK it's slowly getting better. It looks like my body has recovered some fat/collagen in some spots. But still thin in some. It's hard to explain but the tissue in that area still looks slightly sickly.

Thanks JennaBean!  My doctor didnt' seem to think the filler would affect the healing process but I just had my doubts.  My skin where the indentations are is very thin too.  I'm hoping the skin goes back to normal.  It's been 2 months since I had the cortisone injections.  How big was your indentation?

Did anyone have their indentations fill in without the help of saline?  

#107 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

I know. I honestly have a VERY hard time trusting doctors now. But all filler is, is hylauronic acid, and our body naturally produces it, so I don't see why it would slow/stop the healing process. Sounds like yours happend right around the same time as mine did. I'll send you a picture of mine.

#108 Supernova30

Supernova30

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:16 PM

I actually think most people have their indentations fill in without saline, including Ugghh on this thread. I think the saline can speed up healing in general, and for people whose indentations aren't healing on their own over many months it can kick start the process. I think you'll see good healing (if not complete) over 6 months.

#109 hopeful503

hopeful503

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

I actually think most people have their indentations fill in without saline, including Ugghh on this thread. I think the saline can speed up healing in general, and for people whose indentations aren't healing on their own over many months it can kick start the process. I think you'll see good healing (if not complete) over 6 months.

Thanks so much!  

#110 Sems

Sems

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

if the saline injections work, are they a permanent fix to the indentation? or will it wear off just like fillers?

#111 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:45 AM

Ughhhhh: I hope your right. I'm so over this. Even though I had the filler put it, the skin still looks uneven and just sickly. I also have discoloration in that area.

Has anyone else experienced this? (The uneven ness and discoloration.? Or just overall sickly looking skin in that area?)

#112 Supernova30

Supernova30

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

if the saline injections work, are they a permanent fix to the indentation? or will it wear off just like fillers?

The saline will be absorbed by your body within hours and might leave behind a temporary swelling effect for a few days but the point of injecting saline is to spur your body into developing collagen to fill the area - so it is a permanent fix. 

Ughhhhh: I hope your right. I'm so over this. Even though I had the filler put it, the skin still looks uneven and just sickly. I also have discoloration in that area.

Has anyone else experienced this? (The uneven ness and discoloration.? Or just overall sickly looking skin in that area?)

I definitely have bluish discolouration - I've read that your veins can be affected by the cortisone as well and might be causing this bluish discolouration? Regardless, I think it should heal over time as well.

#113 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

Supernova: when did your atrophy occur? I'm at 12 weeks since the kenalog injection. And about 10 weeks since the atrophy occurred. It does look better but the discoloration is still there. I've done 2 IPLs and 2 mild glycolic peels. Not sure if its helped.

#114 Supernova30

Supernova30

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

Supernova: when did your atrophy occur? I'm at 12 weeks since the kenalog injection. And about 10 weeks since the atrophy occurred. It does look better but the discoloration is still there. I've done 2 IPLs and 2 mild glycolic peels. Not sure if its helped.

I had the cortisone injection about 16 weeks ago (May 8th) and the atrophy started about 14 weeks ago. It got worse for a few weeks (hard to say exactly, and for anyone else reading this and potentially panicking, it got worse but not like dramatically worse) and has been improving slowly since.

I had one saline injection 3 weeks ago, which definitely helped the dent immediately (by about a third I'd say) and a second saline injection a few days ago. Not sure yet if that one helped - this time the effect hasn't been immediate. In fact the dent almost seemed a bit worse for a couple of days! But at least this time I iced right afterward and have only had minimal bruising (the first saline injection, when I didn't ice, I had dark black bruising for nearly 2 weeks).

Right now I'd say the dent is probably about 60-70% better than it was at its worst. The edges are much softer, the depth is shallower, and I can't feel quite so much of a canyon under the skin as before. The discolouration is still there. Will keep updating with how things progress with the saline.

Edited by Supernova30, 27 August 2013 - 05:32 PM.

#115 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

Thanks Supernova for your reply. I did have filler put it so I have no idea if the depth is improving. But, the skin was/is thinner in that area. It seems to be improving slowly. But hard to tell since I look at it every day.
I have read that atrophy usually does improve. But I'm very curious to know why in some people it doesn't. Does anyone know why?

#116 Supernova30

Supernova30

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:18 PM

Thanks Supernova for your reply. I did have filler put it so I have no idea if the depth is improving. But, the skin was/is thinner in that area. It seems to be improving slowly. But hard to tell since I look at it every day.
I have read that atrophy usually does improve. But I'm very curious to know why in some people it doesn't. Does anyone know why?

I don't think anyone knows - I don't think doctors fully understand why cortisone even causes atrophy to begin with! It's humbling when you realize how much of medicine is a crapshoot - we do things that work but often don't totally understand WHY they work. Or what other processes we're affecting at the same time. 

#117 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:22 PM

Supernova: ain't that the truth! Geez! Get rid of one problem (the cyst) to replace it with another (the atrophy)! I will never get another kenalog injection. I've had about 8 in my life and the atrophy never occurred. All the other times I went to a derm....this time it was a doctor at a med spa who I'm sure doesn't have nearly as much experience injecting with kenalog. He did use the standard amount (.5) so maybe it was just coincidence. Who knows. But I can't wait for it to be gone.....if it ever does.

#118 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

I have a question for everyone to had/has atrophy. What does yours look like as its starting to go back to normal? I can't tell if mine is! It looks like part of it has or is trying to go back to normal but other parts don't!

#119 Supernova30

Supernova30

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

I have a question for everyone to had/has atrophy. What does yours look like as its starting to go back to normal? I can't tell if mine is! It looks like part of it has or is trying to go back to normal but other parts don't!

Mine is just very gradually getting shallower - like the fat is very slowly adding underneath and a little bit around the edges. The skin is still a bit bluish. But it's REALLY hard to see changes, which is what makes this so discouraging. 

I have my own question for anyone who has had saline injections to treat their cortisone atrophy. I've had two saline injections so far: the first one (4 weeks ago) helped by about a third but the second saline injection (1 week ago) doesn't seem to have done much so far that I can tell. Does it take a while after the saline to see progress? Does having more injections keep helping? I've had this indent now for more than 3 months and am getting so discouraged waiting for it to heal :-(

#120 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

Supernova: thanks for your reply. That's how I feel mine is. Even with the filler put it, it obviously doesn't help with the kenalog induced thin skin in that area. I'm coming up on week 11 I think. But I know mine got worse that first month so I don't think I should be counting that whole month. My skin is also a bit blue/grey, hard to explain. But it seems like its SLOWLY filling in. Maybe in another month or two it will be better??
As far as the saline injections, I haven't had any yet because of the filler. I'm going to my derm on Tuesday (one month follow up on Sprionolactone) and I'm going to ask her if I should bother with the saline or just wait it out since it seems to be improving.

I've heard the progress of these is measured in months....not days unfortunately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users