Photo

You Want To See Cortisone Atrophy? I'll Show You Atrophy.

210 replies to this topic

#1 ughhhhh

ughhhhh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

My (ex) dermatologist injected what he thought was scar tissue with 8mg solution of kenalog, only for me to find out later that is WAY TOO MUCH. It has looked like this for 6 weeks now and I feel like it's still getting worse. It has jagged edges and the skin feels very unhealthy. I have a plastic surgery consult tomorrow, based on pictures he thinks the entire area will need to be excised. I WANT TO SUE, I have cried over what that horrible man has done to my face. My new derm thinks it will fill in. YEA RIGHT.

The best part? I've got this on the other side of my mouth as well, a long line running down the side of my face. I'm a freakshow.

Attached Thumbnails

• photo.JPG

#2 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

You may want to wait with the excision. I've heard that steroid atrophies usually fill in, although it can take a few months or even up to a year. I've never got cortisone shots myself, so I haven't done extensive research or anything though. However, I've really understood that they would reverse on their own once the kenalog's effect wears out. You might want to look into saline injections to help it fill in sooner though.

Sorry this happened to you and good luck.

#3 DamnLife

DamnLife

The Great One

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

Stupid dermatologists they're all the same...

They know nuthin' bout scars, they call hypertrophic scars keloids.

I feel ya, I would not sue him cuz that wouldn't work out.

I have a feelin' you're good looking, if I ever met you I wouldn't mind your scars at all :)

#4 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

I feel you. My atrophy is mostly from cortisone injections I stupidly ran out and got in a frantic state when I had a breakout a year and a half ago. I should have known better as I had 2 previous ones that caused atrophy. I don't know if it was the technique or what - as she didn't use that much, but I went in a bunch of times. I would get a second and third opinion on the excision - you may be able to fill it with something. I have read saline works well.

#5 ughhhhh

ughhhhh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

You may want to wait with the excision. I've heard that steroid atrophies usually fill in, although it can take a few months or even up to a year. I've never got cortisone shots myself, so I haven't done extensive research or anything though. However, I've really understood that they would reverse on their own once the kenalog's effect wears out. You might want to look into saline injections to help it fill in sooner though.

Sorry this happened to you and good luck.

I will have to wait no matter what because I'm finishing up on accutane, so I can't have any surgery for at least 6-12 months. I know they say they usually fill in, but the pictures I've ever seen of people complaining of atrophy are like tiny indents, nothing like this. Its the size of a dime! You can really see the fat loss when I smile, its just gone.

Stupid dermatologists they're all the same...

They know nuthin' bout scars, they call hypertrophic scars keloids.

I feel ya, I would not sue him cuz that wouldn't work out.

I have a feelin' you're good looking, if I ever met you I wouldn't mind your scars at all smile.png

I know I can't sue, I'd never win. I hate him so much though...

I used to think I was pretty until this horrendous breakout :( Thank you though :)

I feel you. My atrophy is mostly from cortisone injections I stupidly ran out and got in a frantic state when I had a breakout a year and a half ago. I should have known better as I had 2 previous ones that caused atrophy. I don't know if it was the technique or what - as she didn't use that much, but I went in a bunch of times. I would get a second and third opinion on the excision - you may be able to fill it with something. I have read saline works well.

I did ask my new derm about saline and she though that since it had been a month that there was no point. I think I'm really going to push for it though, even though it seems like every time I try to fix something I make it worse. The skin is really thin and unhealthy feeling, it makes me so sad..

#6 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

Yeah I think the remodeling can occur for quite some time so I would push for it. I'm not sure the risk is too high with that stuff, but I haven't researched saline extensively. I would also just make back to back appointments with different docs if you can. And you are still pretty - everything will work out and be ok.

#7 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

I'd push for saline injections. I was reading about cortisone dents a few weeks ago (not very intensely though, since it didn't concern me personally), and I read that saline can "wash out" the leftover kenalog in the indent, so that it would stop affecting the skin and the skin would return to normal (even after several months, if I understood correctly). And they're probably okay during Accutane. I would think it has a good chance of filling in since the atrophy isn't really caused by scarring but just a physical hormonal response to the cortisone. But well, do some research on the forum and elsewhere and try to get saline injections. Good luck and keep us posted :)

#8 Coppedsynergy999

Coppedsynergy999

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:00 PM

I would jump on the saline injection bandwagon as quick as possible. Im really sorry you are going through this but please heed my advice, toughen up now and get to the bottom of this. No matter what except nothing except your skin reverting back to a position where you are comfortable. Theyre are ways to battle this.  Ive been in your position and I wish I hadnt sulked about it and done something to fix it sooner. I would not go the excision route yet. I would explore saline injections or collagen injections first. Just me. Always go least invasive to most invasive.

#9 ughhhhh

ughhhhh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:37 PM

I would jump on the saline injection bandwagon as quick as possible. Im really sorry you are going through this but please heed my advice, toughen up now and get to the bottom of this. No matter what except nothing except your skin reverting back to a position where you are comfortable. Theyre are ways to battle this.  Ive been in your position and I wish I hadnt sulked about it and done something to fix it sooner. I would not go the excision route yet. I would explore saline injections or collagen injections first. Just me. Always go least invasive to most invasive.

Did you have atrophy or did you experience something else? I just had another freakout looking in the mirror. He disfigured me, and I'm afraid this isn't going to stop.

#10 Coppedsynergy999

Coppedsynergy999

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

Did you have atrophy or did you experience something else? I just had another freakout looking in the mirror. He disfigured me, and I'm afraid this isn't going to stop.

You are not disfigured. A simple restylane injection would work woners. Just sop bieng so negative if you can and put all that energy into a solution. Because anything other that fixing it is a waste of time. Ive had cortisone injection atrophy before. But ive also had scarring.

#11 ughhhhh

ughhhhh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

A plastic surgeon today told me he thought this was scarring, and that fillers would not help because its bound down. Not sure I believe him, he went straight for the laser sell. I still called my derm about the saline injections, hopefully she will call back. And I have plenty of scars all over my cheeks, as well as a huge sebaceous cyst my old derm misdiagnosed as acne and then called it a keloid scar, which I can have removed in a few months apparently. I've been through a hellish year and this just tops it off with the cherry.

You are not disfigured. A simple restylane injection would work woners. Just sop bieng so negative if you can and put all that energy into a solution. Because anything other that fixing it is a waste of time. Ive had cortisone injection atrophy before. But ive also had scarring.

#12 Pianina

Pianina

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Teaching piano, singing, programming, web-design, photography, nutrition

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

Ouch, so sorry this happened to you... Did you sign any papers where you accepted the risks of the procedure before doing it? 

#13 mazgan

mazgan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

i know its hard but u must not panic over this at it will not help at all.

from what i see it doesnt look that bad at all...

i have no idea what is Atrophy  .. only entropy lol...

#14 ughhhhh

ughhhhh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

Ouch, so sorry this happened to you... Did you sign any papers where you accepted the risks of the procedure before doing it? 

Months ago I did, of course I didn't know he would use such a high dose... but obviously I have learned my lesson! NEVER AGAIN.

Atrophy is loss of the fat and tissue :) Steroid injections can eat away at healthy skin. How can you say it doesn't look bad! You're just like my husband!

#15 TaylorC

TaylorC

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

Hi Ugh, I completely understand what you're going through.  I had a derm a few years ago give me a shot, I had no idea there was different strengths of cortisone.  It was by my upper lip and it turned a grayish color and sunk in.  I hated looking in the mirror.  It did take about 6 months to return to normal, but it finally did.  I actually right now have atrophy from a cyst i had shot a few weeks ago, but its small, and each day it gets better.  I don't blame my derm that i use now bc he uses such a weak strength.  I  really think you have a chance for it to be ok.  When mine happened I thought there was no way it would go back to normal, but it did, it just took a long time, which I know sucks!  I have heard about saline injections, and how they can really help, I was just too scared to have the area shot with something.  If you do get it done, please update!  Oh and btw, my boyfriend sounds just like your husband,  I can have a cyst the size of a quarter, and he will be like..you can hardly notice it, drives me crazy!  And for all the people that are going to say, you're very lucky you have someone that loves you the way you are...I know that, I do, but still drives me crazy! :)

#16 Coppedsynergy999

Coppedsynergy999

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:14 AM

A plastic surgeon today told me he thought this was scarring, and that fillers would not help because its bound down. Not sure I believe him, he went straight for the laser sell. I still called my derm about the saline injections, hopefully she will call back. And I have plenty of scars all over my cheeks, as well as a huge sebaceous cyst my old derm misdiagnosed as acne and then called it a keloid scar, which I can have removed in a few months apparently. I've been through a hellish year and this just tops it off with the cherry.

Well it seems were in a relatively similiar situation. I just had subcision for bound down scars a couple weeks ago. I have had some improvement and im happy about that. Youll be ok. its hard going through this stuff but it feels much better when you make "educated" decisions on treatments.

#17 mazgan

mazgan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:36 AM

Months ago I did, of course I didn't know he would use such a high dose... but obviously I have learned my lesson! NEVER AGAIN.

Atrophy is loss of the fat and tissue smile.png Steroid injections can eat away at healthy skin. How can you say it doesn't look bad! You're just like my husband!

no.. but maybe hes just like me ^^. 

its not bad u dont have like real scars as icepick or box ..and its also  looks like something that will fade away with time.

good luck.

#18 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:36 AM

Damn plastic surgeons and the laser sell. What an ass. I really doubt it is bound down because it is a direct result of the cortisone shot. But if it is, you can still do filler with subcision. The one doctor I consulted with said he sometimes will inject filler into a scar and then subcise as needed for it not to donut.  So if you go for filler just go to someone who is also familiar with that technique - but again, I think a straight filler would work fine if it doesn't just fill on it's own, or with saline.

#19 ughhhhh

ughhhhh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

Damn plastic surgeons and the laser sell. What an ass. I really doubt it is bound down because it is a direct result of the cortisone shot. But if it is, you can still do filler with subcision. The one doctor I consulted with said he sometimes will inject filler into a scar and then subcise as needed for it not to donut.  So if you go for filler just go to someone who is also familiar with that technique - but again, I think a straight filler would work fine if it doesn't just fill on it's own, or with saline.

The part that sucked was that I really researched, he was Ivy league, did charity work like scar revision for abuse victims, so I really thought he'd understand how I felt about what had been done to my face. I know that lasers are the gold standard, but it was 5k for full C02 and other than the damage my derm did to my face (the one pictured now kind of looks like an arrow, I'm so scared of it) my scars aren't that bad. Well at least I'm not bothered by acne scars, I'm bothered by a chunk missing from my face. With all the surgeries they do for skin cancer, you'd think they could fix something like this.

Oh and my derm is not calling me back :( I dont see her for another two weeks, I dont want to make an appointment just for her to tell me no again!

Edited by ughhhhh, 10 May 2013 - 11:53 AM.

#20 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

dont worry at all i had the same thing happen to me. i had a cyst injected near my jawline that was like the size of a nickel and then after it went away i got another cyst pretty much in the same area and they injected it way too much and i got a nice size dent. i remember freaking out because i could run my finger over it and feel like this major indent and even though it was near my jawline it looked terrible and i couldnt hide it at all. i think for the first month it got worse and then after that each month it got better. its been about 3 months now and its totally filled in. i did also take 1000mg of vitamin c twice a day and massage the area too. i can assure you that most times these dents totally fill in so just try not to get too stressed and let it heal. hugs to you!!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users