40 replies to this topic

#21 dizzyabby

dizzyabby

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, singing, playing piano, my pets

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

I think most people say they see results with Spiro around 2-3 months..so definitely give it time. I think I am seeing a little earlier than the average…which I would  guess to be due to that fact that my testosterone is already on the low side and I had mild acne (mostly closed comedones, only occasional swollen ones). Have you had your hormones checked? If you are having cystic breakouts I think it should really benefit you. You should look up SkinDeepStory on here and read her logs. She had pretty bad cystic hormonal acne and it took a good 4 months – 5 months to get her clear but now she is like 100% better! She was taking 200 mg. Thats weird about your derm not wanting to give you Spiro, my doc raves about it and so does my friend who is a dermatologist. She even takes it herself. Especially since it has so much lower side effects than Accutane…I would think your doc would want to avid that route again. Also, Often when Accutane doesn’t work for women, it’s because it is hormonal and Spiro ends up working better. Maybe it is not as accepted in the UK? Annoyingly, I think patience is key with these things but I bet you will improve! Tell us how your derm apt goes. Also, it has taken a good 4 months on a retinoid to really start seeing clearing. Those seem to take quite long, but do work in the end. I had to get on antibiotics for a bit (am currently tapering off) to control the swollen ones that the Retin a was bringing up during the purge but I haven’t had a swollen one in over a 1.5 months. Are you on an antibiotic? 

Ah yes iv seen her story, it's very inspiring!

So today i saw my derm. I had a hormone blood test last time I saw her and she said it all came back fine. I had to have another blood test this time to check my potassium levels. She wants me to take 75mg, i don't know why I can't have 100. In the Uk spiro is barely prescribed and is pretty much unheard of as an acne treatment. The first time I asked a doctor about it she looked at me completely gone out. So i went to a dermatologist who was very reluctant as she has never prescribed it before, that's why shes being very cautious with it and i'm having lots of blood tests and things.

Thing is, i had read all over the internet and in books about how effective it was so really badly wanted to try it and thought it sounded much better than going back on accutane or taking the pill (which gave my sis a blood clot).

I'm not taking an antibiotic, im quite wary of them as i took them for years when i was younger and they made me quite poorly and didn't help.

Today the derm gave me some differin gel to use, it should be a bit gentler than the epiduo i'm using, that was irritating my face too much.

Anyway, trying to stay positive!!! :)

#22 lifeinfaith

lifeinfaith

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

I am going back up to 100 mg. I feel like my face was the least oily it's been in my life on that and now it has progressively gone back to being oily by mid morning since I lowered the dose to 75 mg. Hopefully my period issue will sort itself out. I have heard that for some it can after a few months. Some bcps cause your period to go away so not having a period can't be that bad.

PM - Clean face with water and cotton rounds. Spot treat with Finacea.
AM- Wash face with Aveeno Gentle Foaming Cleanser and apply Sanitas Oil Free moisturizer
30mg Absorbica for 8 months

#23 dizzyabby

dizzyabby

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

My skin is still rubbish! Think I will push for 100mg next time i see my derm as my hair and skin are still really oily.

I'm still getting new spots but they aren't quite as big as before so that is positive. I am also really liking differin, its absorbs nicely, doesn't sting and smells okay! Have no idea if it's doing anything beneficial yet tho!

#24 Dee3

Dee3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

hi, how are you getting on? i am from the uk and just got a prescription from my gp for spiro. luckily he said he was aware of it being used for acne but it's his first time prescribing it to someone for this purpose lol. i am just glad i am getting to try this as I have previously done 2 courses of roaccutane and acne keeps coming back.

i was going to suggest as retin a is discontinued in the uk, u should ask for topical isotretinoin which is sold as Isotrex. it pretty much works the same way as retian and is as strong where as differin and other retionoids are said to be abit milder, so if you wanted something as strong as retin a, definately look into isotrex.

from what i have read the skin converts the isotretinoin into tretinoin once applied, so it should work the same as retin a which is tretinoin. :)

Current Routine

Morning

Spironolactone (started 1/06/2014)

Evening

Isotrex 0.05mg gel (started 1/06/2014)

Other things that help: Sugar-free diet, a teaspoon of oily fish oil with added vitamin A + D3 every other day and a daily vitamin supplement.

Exercise: 30-45 minute brisk walk 4 times a week.

#25 dizzyabby

dizzyabby

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

Hey, thanks so much for your message! Sorry it's taken me a few days to reply, my internets been down.

You are lucky, my GP looked at me like i was crazy for asking for a blood pressure medication so she referred me to a derm who took a lot of convincing!

And I have been on the Spiro for about 2 months now, and the differin for about 3 weeks or so, and I have to say, i think i am finally seeing improvements!! Not had a new spots for a few days so feeling positive! What dose did they start you on?? xxx

hi, how are you getting on? i am from the uk and just got a prescription from my gp for spiro. luckily he said he was aware of it being used for acne but it's his first time prescribing it to someone for this purpose lol. i am just glad i am getting to try this as I have previously done 2 courses of roaccutane and acne keeps coming back.

i was going to suggest as retin a is discontinued in the uk, u should ask for topical isotretinoin which is sold as Isotrex. it pretty much works the same way as retian and is as strong where as differin and other retionoids are said to be abit milder, so if you wanted something as strong as retin a, definately look into isotrex.

from what i have read the skin converts the isotretinoin into tretinoin once applied, so it should work the same as retin a which is tretinoin. smile.png

Edited by dizzyabby, 28 June 2013 - 10:11 AM.

#26 Dee3

Dee3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:08 AM

Hey, thanks so much for your message! Sorry it's taken me a few days to reply, my internets been down.

You are lucky, my GP looked at me like i was crazy for asking for a blood pressure medication so she referred me to a derm who took a lot of convincing!

And I have been on the Spiro for about 3 months now, and the differin for about 3 weeks or so, and I have to say, i think i am finally seeing improvements!! Not had a new spots for a few days so feeling positive! What dose did they start you on?? xxx

from what i have read the skin converts the isotretinoin into tretinoin once applied, so it should work the same as retin a which is tretinoin. smile.png

hey, thats good to hear you are seeing some improvements. I know doctors need to be more educated on this, atleast you got it in the end. I am only on day 3 but getting impatient already as my skins so oily lol. I have started on a very low dose on 25 but in the next few weeks I want to work it up to atleast 50-75mg. What dosage is working best for u?

Current Routine

Morning

Evening

Other things that help: Sugar-free diet, a teaspoon of oily fish oil with added vitamin A + D3 every other day and a daily vitamin supplement.

#27 dizzyabby

dizzyabby

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:24 AM

I have started taking 100mg alongside using the differin, and i am finally seeing improvements. I think because our doctors here don't prescribe it much they are very cautious to start with. I have been given lots of blood tests to check my pottasium and blood pressure tests. When they came back though they upped my dose. So hopefully when they see you are okay on the smaller dose they will up it for you. Are you using topicals too??

And I have been on the Spiro for about 3 months now, and the differin for about 3 weeks or so, and I have to say, i think i am finally seeing improvements!! Not had a new spots for a few days so feeling positive! What dose did they start you on?? xxx

hey, thats good to hear you are seeing some improvements. I know doctors need to be more educated on this, atleast you got it in the end. I am only on day 3 but getting impatient already as my skins so oily lol. I have started on a very low dose on 25 but in the next few weeks I want to work it up to atleast 50-75mg. What dosage is working best for u?

#28 Dee3

Dee3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

I have started taking 100mg alongside using the differin, and i am finally seeing improvements. I think because our doctors here don't prescribe it much they are very cautious to start with. I have been given lots of blood tests to check my pottasium and blood pressure tests. When they came back though they upped my dose. So hopefully when they see you are okay on the smaller dose they will up it for you. Are you using topicals too??

you know my GP hasnt heven mentioned doing any tests so I think I am going to have to ask him to read up on that lol. I am using isotrex with it, its basically like retin a. iv used that for just over a month now and it hasnt been too bad. I think once my skin starts to becme less oily, i will be more satisfied. how long did it take to see your oil go down?

Current Routine

Morning

Evening

#29 dizzyabby

dizzyabby

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

iv broke out again, trying to be patient but feeling fed up!

#30 Like Moonlight

Like Moonlight

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

Aww Abby! Hang in there sweetie! Give it more time, I know it is difficult when your not seeing improvement and you have been consistent for so long. I am confident you will see results with more use. You just might be one of the unlucky girls who don't see improvement until the 8th month time period. I am convinced that your acne is indeed hormonal and this treatment will help you. If you are still taking the higher dosage then it might be your body just dealing with the hormonal changes all over again.. I know when I went from 100 to 125 I started to breakout all over again and I got scared and went back to 100. Seems like dosages are all over the board in what is the magical number for users. Keep at it girly!
Regimen:
AM: CeraVe foaming face wash, 100mg Spirolactone
PM: CeraVe foaming face wash, witch hazel, Acne.org AHA+
Been taking Sprio since 1/2013

#31 dizzyabby

dizzyabby

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

Aww Abby! Hang in there sweetie! Give it more time, I know it is difficult when your not seeing improvement and you have been consistent for so long. I am confident you will see results with more use. You just might be one of the unlucky girls who don't see improvement until the 8th month time period. I am convinced that your acne is indeed hormonal and this treatment will help you. If you are still taking the higher dosage then it might be your body just dealing with the hormonal changes all over again.. I know when I went from 100 to 125 I started to breakout all over again and I got scared and went back to 100. Seems like dosages are all over the board in what is the magical number for users. Keep at it girly!

Thanks so much for replying, you're lovely!! I think i was disappointed as I had had a few days with no new spots, then today was faced with about 5, it is coming up to my totm tho, blah!!! I will carry on being patient :)

#32 dizzyabby

dizzyabby

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

The spiro is kicking in!!! I'm almost clear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#33 Like Moonlight

Like Moonlight

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

YAAAAAAAAAAAAA it's about time right?? I'm glad you decided to stick with it Abby!!
Regimen:
AM: CeraVe foaming face wash, 100mg Spirolactone
PM: CeraVe foaming face wash, witch hazel, Acne.org AHA+
Been taking Sprio since 1/2013

#34 dizzyabby

dizzyabby

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

YAAAAAAAAAAAAA it's about time right?? I'm glad you decided to stick with it Abby!!

I know! It's been 3 months and I am finally getting results, so so glad I stuck it out even through the horrific break outs! I think the differin has also helped speed things up a bit. Just praying no more set backs! Gotta have some more blood tests to check potassium and what not. Can't wait to see my derm, she really didn't wanna prescribe it so can't wait to show off my clear face!!!

#35 cufflinkchick23

cufflinkchick23

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:55 AM

Hey abby,

I just wondered if your derm is private or nhs? I have really bad hormonal acne, deep chin spots at that time of the month. I can't find anyone who will prescribe me spiro which is fustrating! I have been on antibiotics for ages but noone is monitoring my health which I find scary so I'd like to try spiro. Just thought if your derm is private I could try her. Hope you are still seeing good results. :)

#36 Melie87

Melie87

We just need to learn how to balance our skin :)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 12
About Me
  • Interests:Check out my page on FB about masks I have been making to help my skin :) write me though there with any questions about skin! I have been through it all!
    https://www.facebook.com/miasmasks

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:55 PM

HOW IS YOUR SKIN NOW!!??!?!?!

We need to feed our skin

as we'd feed our bodies

a delicate rhythmic dance

we all deserve to find.

Eminence Organics

-probiotic cleanser

-hungarian face mask

-citrus exfoliating wash

Acure Organics

-sensitive facial cleanser

(alternating face washes helps

so my skin does not become resistant)

Spironolactone 25 mg 2x daily

Retin A Micro every other night

Clindamycin every other night

Clindamycin during day under light 100% Pure Mineral Powder on T zone

NO DAIRY, NO CAFFEINE, NO SUGAR!

#37 tezzabell

tezzabell

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:39 AM

How's your skin now on spiro? I've just started it and I'm also on isotrex but my skins horrible at present :(

#38 dizzyabby

dizzyabby

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:28 AM

Sorry I havn't updated in ages!!!

So, I have been on spiro for 10 months now!!! I have also been using differin every night.

My skin is MASSIVELY improved. It can be flawless if I take 75mg but I find I get less side effects (dizziness, having to wee alot) on 50mg. So I take 50 and put up with a few small spots around my period.

I would really recommend spiro, it can take a while to work but i am thrilled i stuck at it.

My problem now is marks and scars left over from previous acne. I really want to use topical tretinoin on my skin as it is better than differin for skin repair. However. retin a was discontinued in the uk and the only topical I can find with any tretinoin in is called Aknemycin Plus. 

Aknemycin plus is an alcoholic solution (not ideal) with tretinoin and erythromycin. I am gonna give it a try and see how I get on. I have been looking into dermarolling for my scars but the idea of all those needles in my face scares me!

I am trying to start a facebook campaign to being back Retin-A to the uk, come join me!!!

https://www.facebook...bringbackRetinA

#39 dizzyabby

dizzyabby

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:01 AM

Hi everyone! I havn't updated this in ages so thought i would let you know how i am getting on.

Basically, i managed to clear my skin up on Spiro and Differin. However, once my skin was clear i started worrying about mark and scars left behind so i stopped using the Differin and started trying to use different products with things like glycolic acid and all sorts to try and fade the marks.

The result of that being that the spots came back! I didn't realise how much the Differin was helping. I am now getting myself back on the Differin, gonna try the cream form this time though as i have made my skin dreadfully sensitive with all the other products i have been trying.

So yeah, i need to get back on the regime that was working for me!!!!!

#40 lifeinfaith

lifeinfaith

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

Differin works really well for me at fading post hyperpigmentation.

PM - Clean face with water and cotton rounds. Spot treat with Finacea.
AM- Wash face with Aveeno Gentle Foaming Cleanser and apply Sanitas Oil Free moisturizer
30mg Absorbica for 8 months

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users