Photo

What Does Accutane Do To Cause Hearing Loss?

accutane hearing loss

4 replies to this topic

#1 pullmeunder

pullmeunder

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

What does Accutane do to the ears exactly to cause hearing loss?

I went on Accutane for a short period of time, I took 11 capsules of 40 MG, and I developed hearing loss due to it, and it's worse and more noticeable in my right ear.

I'm planning to setup an appointing with an ENT doctor, so I'm trying to find out what the Accutane did to my ears exactly to cause the hearing loss. Can anyone help me?

#2 AuguriesofInnocence

AuguriesofInnocence

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me
  • Interests:Being happy no matter what.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

hi, Ive got this one: I was going to answer your other post. Accutane can damage the cilia inside your ears, these are tiny hairs which help sound waves. Taking drying agents ei accutane degongestants, diuretics in some people causes these cilia to atrophy. I believe I have hearing damage from taking too much otc antihistamines. But I took to much dosagewise. I know you said youre a musician, I went to 2 ENTs who told me my hering is'fine" yes when I have headphones on up close it is but the further distance something is from me the more muffled it sounds. But I have another condition called PRT which is a complication of mono (which I believe I got from a lowered immune system from accutane.)Good luck I really hope you can get some answers, and if you havent already DONT take any more accutane.

G

I

What does Accutane do to the ears exactly to cause hearing loss?

I went on Accutane for a short period of time, I took 11 capsules of 40 MG, and I developed hearing loss due to it, and it's worse and more noticeable in my right ear.

I'm planning to setup an appointing with an ENT doctor, so I'm trying to find out what the Accutane did to my ears exactly to cause the hearing loss. Can anyone help me?

#3 pullmeunder

pullmeunder

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

Thank you for the helpful information, Auguries. I know you were helping me in my other thread too.

So, is there any way to restore the hairs? What is the ENT doctor most likely going to be able to do for me?

Edited by pullmeunder, 05 May 2013 - 05:56 PM.

#4 AuguriesofInnocence

AuguriesofInnocence

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me
  • Interests:Being happy no matter what.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

?? I wish I knew...the ENT will evaluate your hearing to find out how much hearing loss youve had and hopefully give you some sort of therapy/meds to help. thats as much as I can say but I hope you are able to find a remedy that works for you. My ENT was a lovely Italian gent, he told me for PET the best thing to do is gain 5-10lbs I thought he was joking but he was serious. lol

Thank you for the helpful information, Auguries. I know you were helping me in my other thread too.

So, is there any way to restore the hairs? What is the ENT doctor most likely going to be able to do for me?

#5 oli girl

oli girl

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3227444/

I am not 100% sure, but I am sure it effects the nerves maybe due to severe dryness or the fact that Accutane has a profound effect on the nervous system and you haave nerves that play a role in hearing. It could be many factors, there really isn't that many studies I found.

Let us know how the ENT visit goes  and don't touch Accutane again!

The secret of health for both mind & body
is not to mourn for the past, not to worry about the future, or not anticipate troubles, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.
The Buddha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users