update log acne.org regimen hormonal acne dan the regimen

3 replies to this topic

#1 pls

pls

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me
  • Interests:i'm interested in having clear skin, hbu?

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

Hey guys.. long time no talk I guess. I'm REALLY sorry about that!

So I did start the regimen for about 2 weeks. My cheeks, mouth, and eye area got very dry and SUPER flaky and if I didn't apply moisturizer after I cleansed, it would hurt. The flakes would not go away no matter what I did. They were so embarrassing and my skin turned a grayish color where my skin started scaling. I also had a lot of stress because the CST(the most important English and math test of the whole year) was coming up (I actually started it today). I have a lot of pressure on me because last year I scored 600(100%) for math and 2 wrong for English(I don't remember my score).. So I have been studying like crazy and the embarrassing flakes are not helping with the stress. So I decided to just stop the regimen until summer break, which is in June. I am NOT giving up, and I expected flakes but just not this bad. During the break, I won't see anyone so I just think it makes sense to start then.. and I wish had waited in the first place.. But anyways, that's my plan. I'm sorry for not updating as soon as I decided this. I started using the Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser and then switched to Purpose Gentle Cleanser. Bad idea, it made my face WAY more drier. I also used Cetaphil Cream which helped, but didn't the eliminate flakes and neither did jojoba oil. I am currently using the same products (check out my profile) except the BP and my skin has been the same, although less dry. It's still horrible and breaking out all the time but I'm just going to wait it out. If you have any questions for me, please just ask :} And once again, I have not given up, I'm still very motivated. But I'm just going to do the regimen in the summer. I think the break is 4 weeks long, and I'm kind of expecting the flakes to just fall off and for my new layer of skin to be in by the time the break is over, but I still wont give up if it's not. I'm also thinking about wearing makeup when the flakes go away and when the break is over because I'm just so tired of the bright red scars. Plus I'll be in 8th grade and I feel like I'm getting older and I'm ready for makeup. My parents will allow me to wear it. Do you have any makeup that you'd recommend? Please try to keep it fairly inexpensive, but if there's a product that you insist i need, I'll try to save up for it. Keep in mind that it can't interfere with the regimen. I'm looking for foundation, concealer, powder, and maybe blush and bronzer. Also can you suggest a good makeup remover? Thank you guys so much!! I really appreciate the feedback A LOT! Also, sorry for this post being all over the place, I just got home from school and I didn't really feel like taking a lot of time with writing this post.

#2 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

If you stop, you're going to have to go through the flaky period all over again. I highly recommend you keep going. It's going to get SOOOOO good. :)

Current Skin-Care Regimen (A work in progress):

Morning:

Gentle wash with DKR cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The  lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Skin 79 Korean BB Cream (excellent stuff)

Evening:

Gentle Wash with DKR Cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil

#3 AyeAye

AyeAye

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 30
About Me
  • Interests:Boxing, cycling, reading, learning to speak french (tres mal), public speaking, bush walking/hiking, chocolate - well actually food in general, and perfect skin.... gazing admiringly at people's perfect skin.

Achievements

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

I can see where you're coming from, as starting the regimen when you don't have to be seen out much in public would be ideal.

However as the above poster has said, if you stop you will be back to square one again when you re-start.  Your skin will have to re-adjust to the BP etc.  I know I used BP every day for a year and a half and then stopped using it for 4 weeks (an experiment which wasnt so successful) and when I started using it again it was like I had never used BP in the past.  I had to build up my tolerance all over again.

But whatever you decide to do, we all wish you the best of luck! :)

After remaining clear for around 1.5 years following DKR (The Regimen), in March 2013 I decided to change to Epiduo.  I use a pea size amount of epiduo each night, followed by a layer of topical antibiotic (Eryacne). I also apply Eryacne every morning and moisturise twice a day. After switching to Epiduo from the regimen I found that it took a good 3 months to get back to being perfectly clear again and now I might get one small pimple appear per month.  I can live with that smile.png

I started following Dan's Regimen in September 2011 after suffering with acne for 20 years or so. I followed the Regimen instructions exactly and became 100% clear within 9-11 weeks. In December 2011 and after being consistently clear for over a month, I started to slowly reduce the amount of BP I used until I was only applying BP at night. My skin still remained clear however I sometimes switched to applying BP twice a day for a few days (perhaps once a month) if I felt a few under skin bumps starting to come up. I used acne.org products (including AHA and jojoba oil) and sometimes cetaphil moisturiser at night if I felt my skin was especially dry.  In the gallery I show my week by week progress following the regimen.

#4 Ducky8989

Ducky8989

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

I'm in my third week and I was considering giving up (just until a more convenient time) too because the flaking and dryness were so awful I didn't feel like I could be seen in public. Because of active acne/scars I never feel comfortable going without makeup, and the flakes were making my makeup look cakey and terrible. Even with the jojoba oil in my moisturizer I was still having very bad flaking/dryness.

Then a couple of days ago I tried mixing a pea size amount of aquaphor into my moisturizer in addition to the jojoba oil (I do this 15-20 mins after putting on the BP) and it has been a MIRACLE. Since I have tried this I have had NO flaking. I really recommend you try this. My skin has continued to clear up every day so it doesn't seem like the aquaphor is messing with the BP. I also wear makeup over this without any issues. 

As for makeup, I definitely recommend you try Revlon Colorstay liquid foundation. I know you are young and a lot of people will tell you that liquid foundation is for more mature skin, but I started in college (I'm 24) and I think if you don't use too much it actually looks way more natural than powder foundation. Liquid makeup gives you more of a glow, while powder can make you look dry and ashy. Plus the sunscreen in it will be great for your skin long-term. Again, the key is DO NOT overdo it. You don't want to look like you are wearing a ton of makeup, you want to look like you have naturally clear skin!

You can get the foundation at CVS/Walgreens and its fairly cheap. Get the dry/normal skin version because the oily/combination skin version will be too drying while you are on the regimen. Use no more than a nickel size amount all over your face to get a natural look (wait for your moisturizer to sink in a bit before you put it on and then blend the foundation very well). Make sure you blend it into your neck so you don't have any weird lines. I also use the revlon colorstay pressed powder (this is lighter than powder foundation), just a very thin layer to set the foundation in place. I find I don't usually even need concealer with this, I just dab a little extra foundation on the problem spots. I've tried a lot of products and if used sparingly this is the most natural and even toned look you can get. Make sure you pick a shade that matches your skin tone as well as possible (they have tons of options), and when in doubt go slightly lighter as opposed to darker. CVS and walgreens usually accept returns if something turns out to be the wrong shade smile.png

Don't worry about the foundation breaking you out. I have been using it for years and have gone very long periods of time with clear skin while using it. My acne is related to hormones. Granted, everyone's skin is different so you will have to see how it works for you. But in general, finding makeup that won't break you out is not impossible, just do some trial and error. 

As for bronzer, I personally don't like using it cause I think it looks unnatural/makes skin look dirty. I use a blush by NARS, but usually only for going out at night cause I don't think it looks that natural for day time. 

And finally, for makeup remover just use jojoba oil. It is the only thing that definitely won't cause breakouts. I just wet my face, spread some jojoba oil all over my face to loosen the makeup and then use a good cleanser to wash it off. Works perfectly to get everything off without being too drying. 

Good luck!

PS. In general I recommend the website makeupalley.com to look at makeup/beauty/hair product reviews before you buy stuff. I spent so many years just trying random stuff or being swayed by marketing campaigns and pretty packaging and then finally realized the best way to find good products is to see how thousands of other people have rated them! Click on product reviews and pick a category and then sort by the number of reviews. Anything with over 500 reviews and over a 3.8 rating is usually a good bet. (Even dan's BP is on there and has great reviews, haha!)

Edited by Ducky8989, 02 May 2013 - 10:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users