Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vandelay

Body/face Acne Question, Differing Treatments?

4 posts in this topic

Hey all, here's the deal:

I had moderate face acne throughout high school. I'm 21 now, and the acne is a lot better there, but still comes and goes a bit. Right now I'd say it's mild, maybe a little worse.

In high school I was prescribed BP 10%, which ended up completely burning my face. It was miserable, and took over a year for the redness to die back down after I stopped using BP entirely (face still is probably redder than it should be because of this). For a couple years now, all I've used is Sodium Sulfacetimide & Sulfur wash, about once a day in the shower. It doesn't irritate my skin and does a decent job at controlling the acne on my face.

My body is a mess though: my chest, upper back, and shoulders (and spots on my neck) are covered in way too much acne, and it's worse than it's ever been. I purchased the light version of the back/body treatment from Acne.org and am looking forward to trying the AHA+ when I get it. However, I have a feeling that won't be nearly enough on its own to curb the acne. My main question is: should I also try the BP 2.5% on my body? I know I was using 10% years ago on my face which is way more intense, but it ruined my face for a long time so that's why I'm a bit reluctant. Does that indicate an allergy or just that I overused it way too much (I was applying too much of it as well in quantity, but only once or twice a day as a wash in the shower, never really leaving it on). Obviously, I'm not as worried about experiencing redness on my chest/back as my face, but I still don't want to experience real ill effects other than drying.

Should I never use BP again on my face, or is using the 2.5 in controlled quantities gentle enough to not worry about my face becoming permanently red again for a year+? My main concern with any treatment is redness, not dryness or irritation.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2.5 BP should be much easier on your skin. In my experience, though, body acne has different causes than face acne. I cleared up my body acne permanently by taking 2g of colostrum for 3 weeks, because mine was apparently caused by leaky gut/food sensitivities. If you think yours might have a similar cause, you might want to try colostrum. If it's pustular, though, it's more likely to be folliculitis.

2.5 BP should be much easier on your skin. In my experience, though, body acne has different causes than face acne. I cleared up my body acne permanently by taking 2g of colostrum for 3 weeks, because mine was apparently caused by leaky gut/food sensitivities. If you think yours might have a similar cause, you might want to try colostrum. If it's pustular, though, it's more likely to be folliculitis.

Hmm OK. I think 2.5 should be fine on the body so long as I don't apply it to my face again. I'll look into colostrum. I'm also a type 1 diabetic and know that and colostrum are linked to leaky gut, which isn't something I've ever thought about before.

how bad is your body acne?

I'd say there's about 30-40 pimples on my upper chest, 3 on the neck, and a bunch on the upper shoulders and throughout my back. They aren't too big, but there's a lot and a few are pretty pustular.