Photo

Body/face Acne Question, Differing Treatments?

chest shoulders aha+ redness

3 replies to this topic

#1 Vandelay

Vandelay

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

Hey all, here's the deal:

I had moderate face acne throughout high school. I'm 21 now, and the acne is a lot better there, but still comes and goes a bit. Right now I'd say it's mild, maybe a little worse. 

In high school I was prescribed BP 10%, which ended up completely burning my face. It was miserable, and took over a year for the redness to die back down after I stopped using BP entirely (face still is probably redder than it should be because of this). For a couple years now, all I've used is Sodium Sulfacetimide & Sulfur wash, about once a day in the shower. It doesn't irritate my skin and does a decent job at controlling the acne on my face.

My body is a mess though: my chest, upper back, and shoulders (and spots on my neck) are covered in way too much acne, and it's worse than it's ever been. I purchased the light version of the back/body treatment from Acne.org and am looking forward to trying the AHA+ when I get it. However, I have a feeling that won't be nearly enough on its own to curb the acne. My main question is: should I also try the BP 2.5% on my body? I know I was using 10% years ago on my face which is way more intense, but it ruined my face for a long time so that's why I'm a bit reluctant. Does that indicate an allergy or just that I overused it way too much (I was applying too much of it as well in quantity, but only once or twice a day as a wash in the shower, never really leaving it on). Obviously, I'm not as worried about experiencing redness on my chest/back as my face, but I still don't want to experience real ill effects other than drying.

Should I never use BP again on my face, or is using the 2.5 in controlled quantities gentle enough to not worry about my face becoming permanently red again for a year+? My main concern with any treatment is redness, not dryness or irritation. 

Any help is greatly appreciated!

#2 Quetzlcoatl

Quetzlcoatl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

2.5 BP should be much easier on your skin. In my experience, though, body acne has different causes than face acne. I cleared up my body acne permanently by taking 2g of colostrum for 3 weeks, because mine was apparently caused by leaky gut/food sensitivities. If you think yours might have a similar cause, you might want to try colostrum. If it's pustular, though, it's more likely to be folliculitis.

#3 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

how bad is your body acne?

#4 Vandelay

Vandelay

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

2.5 BP should be much easier on your skin. In my experience, though, body acne has different causes than face acne. I cleared up my body acne permanently by taking 2g of colostrum for 3 weeks, because mine was apparently caused by leaky gut/food sensitivities. If you think yours might have a similar cause, you might want to try colostrum. If it's pustular, though, it's more likely to be folliculitis.

Hmm OK. I think 2.5 should be fine on the body so long as I don't apply it to my face again. I'll look into colostrum. I'm also a type 1 diabetic and know that and colostrum are linked to leaky gut, which isn't something I've ever thought about before.

how bad is your body acne?

I'd say there's about 30-40 pimples on my upper chest, 3 on the neck, and a bunch on the upper shoulders and throughout my back. They aren't too big, but there's a lot and a few are pretty pustular. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users