Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skin Oil + Benzoyl Peroxide = Cloth Bleaching?

8 posts in this topic

I want to start The Regimen and I have quite oily skin. I read that sweat can bleach cloth after application and absorption of benzoyl peroxide, and I am wondering if oil from the skin also can bleach cloth in the same way?

Oil from your skin will not bleach anything, BP will bleach clothing, bed sheets, etc.

1 person likes this

I mean, after application and absorption of benzoyl peroxide - it will persist inside the skin. So if later skin will sweat - the mixture of sweat and absorbed benzoyl peroxide will bleach cloth. That's what I've read here on this forum. So my question is: can benzoyl peroxide mix with oil from the skin and thus bleach cloth, the same way as it mixes with sweat and then bleaches?

I'm sorry for misunderstanding and that I did not express myself clearly. I know that BP bleach everything. Finally, I can formulate exact question that bothers me:

Can oil (sebum) pick up benzoyl peroxide and make it liquid after it has dried and soaked into the skin, as well as it does sweat?

I don't have an answer but I'm as frustrated as you are with the fact that these two can't read.

I do believe that it can, yes. But I don't know the details as to how/when/why. In my experience sometimes things get bleached even hours later after I've applied the BP. Other times, I can go weeks doing the regimen and nothing gets bleached. I don't really get how it works.

I remember how bp used to ruin all of my towels, beddings and morning gowns. Even if I wash my face with a cleanser and then dry it with a towel, it would leave white spots. Once I applied it on my back before going to sleep, took a shower in the morning, put on clean clothes and went out for the day. In the evening I saw that my blouse got bleached on the back. So my answer to your question would be - probably yes, sweat can absorb bp and bleach clothes. But this is based on this particular experience.