Resveratrol

23 replies to this topic

#1 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

Does anyone have any experience here using Resveratrol?

#2 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

Yea I didn't think so. There are ZERO reviews for it on acne.org, and I can find reviews on everything from Fish Oil to Urine so not having any reviews is huge LOL.

It's very expensive, but I think it would help from what I'm reading. If I ever have $40 bucks to spare I may give it a shot for a month.

#3 AKL

AKL

Retired Mod

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

One of the people I'm coaching has tried it for acne, both topical (based on these small studies: http://link.springer...000000000-00000 and http://jac.oxfordjou...t/full/dkm099v1and as a supplement. Didn't make much of a difference, not in his acne nor in the oiliness of his skin, except the toilet was pleased with his more regular visits wink.png  Just the experience of one person, of course, maybe others have had more success.

#4 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

One of the people I'm coaching has tried it for acne, both topically (based on these small studies: http://link.springer...000000000-00000 and http://jac.oxfordjou...t/full/dkm099v1and as a supplement. Didn't make much of a difference, not in his acne nor in the oiliness of his skin, except the toilet was pleased with his more regular visits wink.png  Just the experience of one person, of course, maybe others have had more success.

Lol yeah I saw that upset stomach was a side effect; and quite frankly I haven't found more than 15 unbiased reports (from users) on the whole freaking internet about how it affects skin, topically or orally. So consider the account of that one person as a significant contribution to my efforts haha.

There's plenty of hype about it, so unfortunately much of the information I find has to be thrown out because the person believes it is like the fountain of youth or cure-all for every disease and ailment. Their reviews are usually just a demo of the placebo effect gone to extremes lol.

Some of the ones that I have found to be reasonable demonstrate that it doesn't help acne much but did dry their skin out. There were two people on a forum discussing it, one taking it orally and the other topically actually, and one likened the effect to how Accutane and other retinoids dry out your skin.

I've heard that it is strongly dose dependent, but the problem is no one knows the best dose so people end up using a lot and possibly waste money on the already pricey supplement because they go through it quicker.  

Thanks for the info though.

#5 AKL

AKL

Retired Mod

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

Haha, man...the numerous fountains of youth and cures you'll find on the internet...  I bet I could start a hype about how eating letters from your tax office will significantly improve mental health. Too bad it's only temporary wink.png

I'll post some studies and articles from my notebook here about oily skin and possible solutions (skipping vitamin B5, as i assume you've already looked into that, and it's only based on one study):

Dietary effect of lactoferrin-enriched fermented milk on skin surface lipid and clinical improvement of acne vulgaris

The effect of 2% niacinamide on facial sebum production (look at the different results in Oriental and Caucasian subjects...)

The effect of silicol gel compared with placebo on papulopustular acne and sebum production. A double-blind study

Some posts about 5 Alpha Avocuta in this topic: http://www.acne.org/...ve-had-success/ (link to pdf: http://www.expanscie.../en/avocuta.pdf).

Oh, and I almost forgot about green tea, looks promising (though I've also experienced with one of the people I'm coaching, and read some posts here that it makes their skin oilier...bah, if only things were a little bit easier, right? I've just pasted all the links here, they're not all about oily skin specifically):

Skin photoprotection by green tea: antioxidant and immunomodulatory effects
Green tea polyphenolic antioxidants and skin photoprotection (Review)
Polyphenolic antioxidant (-)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate from green tea reduces UVB-induced inflammatory responses and infiltration of leukocytes in human skin (PDF)
Topical therapy of acne vulgaris using 2% tea lotion in comparison with 5% zinc sulphate solution 
The efficacy of topical 2% green tea lotion in mild-to-moderate acne vulgaris
Treatment of acne vulgaris with 2% topical tea lotion
Outcomes of 3% green tea emulsion on skin sebum production in male volunteers

#6 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for all the links, I'll take all the info I can get lol.

Believe it or not though, I have already seen and read ALL of the links you posted. How sad is that on my part? haha 

A year ago I decided to take a scientific and systematic approach to trying to fix my random oily skin issue, and that included excessive amounts of internet research. I have no success to show for it, but I know have extensive knowledge about how the skin works in relation to hormones and how to make DIY creams and serums lol.

I actually attempted to replicate the study in the last link in your post a few weeks ago. I was using a 5% green tea solution; the extract was fine but it was the carrier that was the problem. In most of those studies they use water-in-oil emulsions, which are very difficult to make without the right ingredients. Without it, very little actives actually get absorbed into your skin.  I did this with another Acne.org member; if you're so inclined feel free to check out the Oily Skin Research thread, there's a bunch of posts on it.

The solutions/creams used in those studies too are not available for purchase either, which is crazy because we have confirmed results that it helps if delivered a certain way but then no one capitalizes on it and actually sells a similar product. You literally cannot buy a 3% green tea emuslion anywhere lol.

Vitamin B5 megadosing works, but it can't be healthy in the long run and I don't see it as a solution. I'd likely take Accutane before megadosing on B5. 

The game plan is that I will be having a multitude of blood tests done when I get home for the summer to check various hormone levels and nutrient imbalances, in the hopes that something will turn up.

Edited by CBIOT13, 26 April 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#7 Jofo

Jofo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:08 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread but I just started taking 2000mg of resveratrol per day, and I ordered a cream containing 5 Alpha Avocuta. I'm going to be taking the resveratrol for 24 days (because that's when my supply will run out), and I'll give the cream a shot for maybe 2 months. I'll try to post a resveratrol update in 24 days to report my results, or lack of results.

#8 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:06 AM

Just a note, Avocuta is a topical 5-alpha-reductase type 1 inhibitor...so it's a topical anti-androgen of sorts.

#9 Jofo

Jofo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:30 AM

Yeah for anyone else reading this, I should have specified that I brought up 5 Alpha Avocuta because AKL mentioned it above. If I see any significant results, I'll make a new thread for it. The particular product I'm using is this Shine-Reducing Skincare cream made by Noviderm, which I found through a link Green Gables posted in another thread (thanks, Green Gables!): http://www.noviderm....ducing-skincare

#10 Jofo

Jofo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

Okay, I try not to rave about new products prematurely, but it's been a week since I started taking resveratrol and I'm definitely seeing reduced oil production on my face. The effect is pronounced enough that I've already ordered another batch of resveratrol, and it's not cheap ($25 for 12 days worth of pills in my case).

I'm still trying to remain skeptical and I'm totally open to the possibility that something other than the resveratrol is causing this change, but something is reducing my oil. Right before taking resveratrol, I took saw palmetto and nettle root extract for one week. What I'm seeing now could possibly be a late effect of those supplements, though I'm equally skeptical of that.

#11 BSider

BSider

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:42 PM

That's some promising news.  I was curious - which brand of resveratrol are you using?

Okay, I try not to rave about new products prematurely, but it's been a week since I started taking resveratrol and I'm definitely seeing reduced oil production on my face. The effect is pronounced enough that I've already ordered another batch of resveratrol, and it's not cheap ($25 for 12 days worth of pills in my case).

I'm still trying to remain skeptical and I'm totally open to the possibility that something other than the resveratrol is causing this change, but something is reducing my oil. Right before taking resveratrol, I took saw palmetto and nettle root extract for one week. What I'm seeing now could possibly be a late effect of those supplements, though I'm equally skeptical of that.

#12 Jofo

Jofo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:31 PM

That's some promising news.  I was curious - which brand of resveratrol are you using?

I'm using the NOW Foods brand. I still wouldn't recommend resveratrol to anyone else at this point because what I'm experiencing might just be a fluke, but I'll post an update if I continue to see good results.

#13 purple123

purple123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:50 PM

What amount of red wine would one have to drink to achieve an effective dose of resveratrol? biggrin.png

Edited by purple123, 03 December 2013 - 06:30 PM.

#14 FabianL

FabianL

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:45 AM

I'm using the NOW Foods brand. I still wouldn't recommend resveratrol to anyone else at this point because what I'm experiencing might just be a fluke, but I'll post an update if I continue to see good results.

Hello Jofo, how are you doing on the Now resveratrol? We have used it in a trial without much luck. We are currently using topical spironolactone on some people. It is sometimes used orally for acne in women. In theory it should reduce oiliness / make the sebaceous glands less sensitive to androgens. Has any male here used it topically for at least 3 months and have success with it?

#15 purple123

purple123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:12 AM

Fabian, you might try posting a new thread in the Hormonal/adult rubric about spironolactone. It can be accessed here: http://www.acne.org/...-hormonaladult/

If you want to see topics tagged "spironolactone" use this: http://www.acne.org/...spironolactone/

#16 FabianL

FabianL

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:24 PM

Fabian, you might try posting a new thread in the Hormonal/adult rubric about spironolactone. It can be accessed here: http://www.acne.org/...-hormonaladult/

If you want to see topics tagged "spironolactone" use this: http://www.acne.org/...spironolactone/

Thank you, purple123! I have browsed the forums but I could not find males who have used it for 3 months or more. I will have another look and in the meantime continue with our trial. That is the best way to find out, after all. I was hoping that some veterans in this topic had used it. No luck...

#17 Jofo

Jofo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:34 PM

What amount of red wine would one have to drink to achieve an effective dose of reservatol? biggrin.png

Lethal amounts haha. There is only about 1mg of resveratrol in a 5 oz glass of red wine, whereas the supplement I'm taking contains 200mg per pill. If you scroll down this page you can see a small breakdown of resveratrol content in wines: http://lpi.oregonsta...ls/resveratrol/

Hello Jofo, how are you doing on the Now resveratrol? We have used it in a trial without much luck. We are currently using topical spironolactone on some people. It is sometimes used orally for acne in women. In theory it should reduce oiliness / make the sebaceous glands less sensitive to androgens. Has any male here used it topically for at least 3 months and have success with it?

I think it's still having a positive effect on my oil production. It hasn't been totally consistent day to day, but in general it seems like my oil production is maybe 40-50% slower than normal. I have enough resveratrol to last for another couple of weeks, so I still suggest that everyone let me continue to be the guinea pig here for a little bit before trying resveratrol for yourself.

#18 purple123

purple123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:39 AM

Thanks, we'll be watching with interest (and drinking some Spanish reds in the meantime)!

#19 FabianL

FabianL

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:35 PM

I think it's still having a positive effect on my oil production. It hasn't been totally consistent day to day, but in general it seems like my oil production is maybe 40-50% slower than normal. I have enough resveratrol to last for another couple of weeks, so I still suggest that everyone let me continue to be the guinea pig here for a little bit before trying resveratrol for yourself.

40-50% is significant, congratulations! I am assuming that this is based on what you see? Or do you use something like Sebutape? Are you also using the 5 Alpha Avocuta cream that you talked about earlier? Good luck being a guinea pig and I hope it will continue to improve!

#20 purple123

purple123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

Yes, I have the same question! This study seems to report significant results from 5-Alpha Avocuta, so could it be that and not the resevratrol that is the secret to your success?

http://www.scirp.org...x?paperID=22381

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users