Photo

Finding A Job

acne frustration jobs beautiful attractive ugly

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jazzy17

Jazzy17

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:18 PM

Hi I was wondering what are other peoples experiences with trying to land a job while having acne? I know there has been multiple studies that show beautiful people get hired more/faster. It only makes sense to hire an attractive person. For me its hard finding a job with acne i usually try to hide what i can under make-up and i look a little bit better but not that much some spots might be visible still and the bumps are hard to make disappear without 7 layers of concealer and foundation. I like using as little as possible though since make-up breaks me out. During interviews i always hope someone insanely attractive and beautiful isn't applying for the same position or else i know i'm axed off already even if i'm more qualified for that position. Thats just how life works out huh? I'm just so frustrated and stressed out about it is all not really helping with my acne but i just want a regular job already.

#2 LZOMG

LZOMG

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:22 PM

It didn't take me to find a job even when i had bad acne. I will admit i HATED going to work with acne though. It was extremely embarassing for me.

I try to keep a "distance" from the interviewer so my acne will be slightly harder to focus onto. I also have a lot of "fake confidence". It's hard to be legitly confidence with this condition so just fake it. I have gotten every job that i have been interviewed for except for one (I'm 4 for 5). So I don't think having acne hurts to much, your interviewer was once a teenager and knows what it's like having acne so they can have empathy.

Good Luck1

#3 fatalbert911

fatalbert911

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

yeah i'm pretty much have to find a job real soon, im kinda scared not if i'll find one and not if i get fired. i'm afraid of what the daily routine is going to be like, my last job i was there for three months. while i was there, the atmosphere was as expected people where always talking about me almost in my face. i could clearly hear the rude comments of people, i had others that where ok with me but majority where dicks. factories are real wage slave farms lol i need to go to college asap at least then i'll be a wage slave but with a degree. 

#4 LewisS

LewisS

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

I have to find a job soon...it's more my anxiety that's going to let me down! 

:|

#5 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

It's easy. Follow these steps.

1. Dress/do makeup in whatever way makes you feel best about yourself. I realize "best" may not be saying much when you either feel blah, ugly or hideous, but just do your best.

2. Understand that the interview will likely only last a few minutes, which means that for a few minutes, you are going to use ALL your energy to fake confidence. How? Look directly in the person's eye, smile and pretend that you are a normal person without acne. I know you don't feel that--but pretend. Maintain eye contact and imagine how a person without acne would act. Then act that way.

3. Finish interview, make it back outside, get into your car and drive off. Proceed to let it all out. Cry, scream, cuss, shout along to the music. Whatever you need to do to make up for holding it all inside and pretending to be confident for those few minutes.

4. Wait for the phone call or email when they tell you that you got the job.

5. If the call never comes: repeat the process.

They honestly don't care about your acne. They might care if you seem nervous, upset, don't look them in the eye or act generally weird. So just fake it and you'll do fine.

#6 Frank*L

Frank*L

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

It's easy. Follow these steps.

1. Dress/do makeup in whatever way makes you feel best about yourself. I realize "best" may not be saying much when you either feel blah, ugly or hideous, but just do your best.

2. Understand that the interview will likely only last a few minutes, which means that for a few minutes, you are going to use ALL your energy to fake confidence. How? Look directly in the person's eye, smile and pretend that you are a normal person without acne. I know you don't feel that--but pretend. Maintain eye contact and imagine how a person without acne would act. Then act that way.

3. Finish interview, make it back outside, get into your car and drive off. Proceed to let it all out. Cry, scream, cuss, shout along to the music. Whatever you need to do to make up for holding it all inside and pretending to be confident for those few minutes.

4. Wait for the phone call or email when they tell you that you got the job.

5. If the call never comes: repeat the process.

They honestly don't care about your acne. They might care if you seem nervous, upset, don't look them in the eye or act generally weird. So just fake it and you'll do fine.

^ This

100% truth. I have had zero problems finding jobs. In my 20's I had sever cystic acne and went through 3 different jobs, each new job because of more pay and I passed each interview. The faking it part is the most important. I actually have ZERO confidence in myself but man can I fake it if I have to. 

After the interview I did like Dejaclaire said, went to my car and had a panic attack. lol. Thinking back its so pathetic but its my reality. Yea I'm a man but I would go home and cry. I guess we all go through the same thing. But guess what? I got the call back and started working and provided for myself.

Now getting along with co-workers? Totally different story. I went through hell with co-workers and their bickering. But oh well its life...my life...and I got bills to pay man.

Edited by Frank*L, 23 April 2013 - 09:21 PM.

#7 Jazzy17

Jazzy17

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

thanks for the tips! You're stories give me hope on landing my next job. I always thought my interviews judged me on my acne but i think its just my lack of confidence and insecurity because of my acne! I'll fake it to make it now!

#8 pmlsmom

pmlsmom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

I'm concerned about my 20 year old daughter finding a job as well because of her acne.

She doesn't wear makeup, but I'd like to try to find a concealer, foundation--*something* she can use on her face that won't make the acne worse.

Any suggestions out there?

TIA!

#9 Sum1killme

Sum1killme

Resurrected Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

Try and act confident people will talk shit behind your back regardless because we have a dirty breed of people in this world, but fuck em if they say anything to your face they will get fired for sleepin on the job.

#10 Lady_C

Lady_C

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:00 AM

I'm not sure what it is in the states but here in the UK you can find work though recruitment agencies. I'm just wondering if you can try that instead, sometimes depending on the job role, you don't have to have an interview. Most agencies aren't interested in your acne, they're more concerned with filling quotas and receiving commission from finding you some work. You could always explore that avenue if it is available for you and goodluck!

#11 MiscLegend

MiscLegend

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:42 AM

Last winter I tried to apply for jobs, I probably applied to over 100 places, got 5 interviews and only had 1 place offer me a seasonal job position, which after I was done they didn't call me back.

I think my acne fucked me over, as why would a place that's hiring people for sales choose a person with acne over a person without acne,it's really upsetting me.