Third Course Of Accutane

131 replies to this topic

#41 richardb

richardb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

I can't really be angry with him... he didn't understand how accutane works.  I just keep thinking like Mr. Burn, excellent, just wait till they see me in 5 months... they'll all be jealous.

Accutane Log - Started April 5, 2013

http://www.acne.org/...se-of-accutane/

#42 richardb

richardb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

Day 49

My lips are driving me CRAZY.  I mostly use Aquaphor, but the problem is, they are so scaly and peeling that I keep picking at them, and when I put the Aquaphor on they feel all gritty because of all the dry skin pealing off.  Should I exfoliate them somehow?  Pick less?  Any suggestions?

#43 CWR24

CWR24

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me
  • Interests:Not acne

Achievements

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

Mine were like that too. I would but try to leave them alone as much as possible.

Absorica Aug 2013 -Feb2014

Claravis March 211 - July 2011

#44 fotoguy

fotoguy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

Try putting vaseline on your lips, especially when you sleep. My lips get crazy dry, too. Just keep reapplying the aquaphor. 

People who don't have acne like we do don't understand how crappy it makes you feel. I had a girl at a christmas party start trying to exam my bumps a few years ago. Right there in the middle of the party. Made me feel horrible. Why someone would do that is beyond me. I was always taught to not call attention to other peoples ailments. That shit still pisses me off. Last time i ran into her she weighed about 300lbs. I still smile thinking about that.

#45 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:35 AM

I'm sleepy a lot too, noticeably so on accutane.

I do notice my eyes a tad dry, but it's not too bad.

Today someone told me I should do something about my acne...

"I am doing something about my acne... I'm taking Accutane!"

"How long have you been doing it?"

"2 months"

"it's not working... you should let me help"

And how exactly would this other person help you?

#46 richardb

richardb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

I think he was suggesting Proactiv

#47 Like Moonlight

Like Moonlight

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

Mu suggestion about the peeling lips would be to take a warm wash cloth and wet your lips and rub the cloth on your lips for a min or so and all those dead flakes will be gone. I did this every couple days
Regimen:
AM: CeraVe foaming face wash, 100mg Spirolactone
PM: CeraVe foaming face wash, witch hazel, Acne.org AHA+
Been taking Sprio since 1/2013

#48 nomo

nomo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:00 AM

Good gaaawwd! If I heard this once, I heard it a kazillion times.  Shut the eff up about stupid proactive already. So annoying. 

My family members would always get right in my face, inspect my skin, and ask me what was wrong with it, why did I have so many bumps, what's it from, it doesn't make since because nobody else in the family has acne except old Aunt Ceil who had elephantitis....seriously. THEN, when I finally started Accutane they said I was crazy to take such a dangerous drug...whatever! Acne is annoying. I hate it.

#49 richardb

richardb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

Mu suggestion about the peeling lips would be to take a warm wash cloth and wet your lips and rub the cloth on your lips for a min or so and all those dead flakes will be gone. I did this every couple days

I've done that before, i wasn't sure if it would make it worse or like chunks were missing from my lips.

Good gaaawwd! If I heard this once, I heard it a kazillion times.  Shut the eff up about stupid proactive already. So annoying. 

My family members would always get right in my face, inspect my skin, and ask me what was wrong with it, why did I have so many bumps, what's it from, it doesn't make since because nobody else in the family has acne except old Aunt Ceil who had elephantitis....seriously. THEN, when I finally started Accutane they said I was crazy to take such a dangerous drug...whatever! Acne is annoying. I hate it.

It's like people come up with proactiv and act like you must not have tried everything.  I'm using accutane, but they have to understand it's going to take a few months.  We need to be patient with this treatment if we're going to expect it to work.

#50 everythingthatshimmers

everythingthatshimmers

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

I have also found it helpful to use a warm washcloth to exfoliate gently. Also, when my lips get really bad I use hydrocortisone ointment and it has made a big difference. You could use the cream but the ointment looks more like lip balm, goes on clear and doesn't leave any residue. My dermatologist recommended it but follow the instructions on the label, you're not supposed to use it very often. I use it when the corners of my lips start to crack, if they're peeling excessively or burning really badly. I've read that Dr. Dan's Cortibalm is also recommended, it contains hydrocortisone. I ordered some off Amazon though and didn't find it nearly as effective as the ointment.

#51 richardb

richardb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

I tried Dr. Dan's lip balm at the recommendation of my dermatologist, but it didn't help much and it tasted awful.

I'll try the cortisone cream.  Do you think desonide would be better?  He prescribed that a while ago I think for eczema I got while taking accutane.  But honestly, I don't know what eczema is... I can't tell it apart from the already dry, pealing, and messed up face.

#52 everythingthatshimmers

everythingthatshimmers

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

I am not familiar with Desonide so I can't really say. I suppose you could try it unless the label/patient information leaflet specifically says not to apply it to your lips. Hydrocortisone comes in either a cream or an ointment, I use the ointment for my lips because it feels/looks more like lip balm and I've used the cream for eczema/dermatitis on my hands caused by Accutane. I'm not sure if it was technically eczema or dermatitis but it did help. Mine looked like a rash that was super dry and itchy and then peeled. Have you looked at google images? That might help, although as you mentioned if your acne is dry, peeling and irritated it may be hard to tell the difference.

ps--hydrocortisone tastes bad too but worth it in my opinion. In the beginning, I would put it on at bedtime so I wouldn't be licking my lips as much. Now the taste doesn't bother me as much. Hope you get some relief soon!

#53 Tim714

Tim714

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

I've seen people talk about Bag Balm on here for dry lips, saying it was the best. I was surprised I never heard of it because I have a minor addiction to lip balms which apparently contributes to dry lips, oh well. Anyways it had great reviews on amazon so I ordered a 10 oz tin for like $9 ( woulda got the 1 oz but it was only like $1.50 less ?? ) should be arriving tomorrow. We'll see.

#54 richardb

richardb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

Tim, let me know how that experiment goes.  I'd be willing to buy something different on Amazon.  Dr. Dan's lip balm was my first lip balm I had to special order and I wasn't impressed.  Now that I think about it it sounds kind of silly to special order lip balm, but haha for us it's okay, my lips are pretty dry :)

Everythingthatshimmers, thanks for reminding me about the cortisone, I'll give it a try.  What is it supposed to do exactly?  Will it help with the peeling or dryness or the pain that comes with it?

There's no reason desonide can't be put on the lips, I just don't know if it will do much.  As for the dermatitis/eczema, I have dry, rashy skin on the backs of my hands. I haven't noticed any rashes on my face, so I think it's just dry... of course when I went to the dermatologist a while ago and he gave me desonide and told me it was eczema, I didn't know what part of my skin I was even supposed to put the desonide on and I was too embarassed to ask.

#55 richardb

richardb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:19 AM

Day 58

People are telling me they just know i've been at the tanning booth again!  I've been on 80mg for a few weeks now, and I think it makes me redder.  I'm not seeing any improvement or worsening right now and that's a bit frustrating, like I've hit a plateau, why i am I even taking this medicine?

I'm not sure if it's my brief sun exposure (like while driving) and maybe wearing sunscreen again would help, or if it's just red because of the accutane and there's nothing I can do.  I suppose sunscreen couldn't hurt things.

#56 everythingthatshimmers

everythingthatshimmers

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

I know hydrocortisone is a topical corticosteroid but I'm not sure about the ins and outs of how it works. For me, my lips were peeling and felt like they were blistering. They were also bright right, like clown lips and burned like they were on fire all the time. It was very uncomfortable. I started doing cool compresses with a cool washcloth (ice was too harsh!) and that helped with the burning but the relief wouldn't last. Once I started using the hydrocortisone ointment my lips stopped peeling and breaking down and they aren't really painful anymore. They still dry out throughout the day and I have to moisturize often with Vaseline, Aquaphor or Bag Balm (just purchased this week!) but they don't peel or anything anymore. And I don't use the hydrocortisone daily anymore; I used it everyday for probably 4 or 5 days (2-3x/day). Now I maybe use it 2-3x/wk when my lips feel particularly rough and I just use it once those days, usually at night so I don't taste it as much.

Your eczema sounds exactly like mine, it was only on the backs of my hands (thankfully!). I also have to use anti-bacterial hand gel a lot at work and that really irritated it. Thankfully, my eczema only lasted about a month or so. The hydrocortisone also helped that. It didn't get rid of it completely, but it definitely helped.

As for your redness, sunscreen probably wouldn't hurt. I vaguely remember watching a YouTube video about a girl who had a lot of redness on Acctane and used Sudocrem. I have not used that product personally but you might do a search about it and see if it seems legit. I use shea butter as a moisturizer and I think it has helped fade my hyperpigmentation but not sure if it would have any effect on redness, flushing, etc.

#57 richardb

richardb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

Got a TON of sun today... was outsdide almost all day and it was really sunny and bright.

Good thing the first thing I did this morning was slather on a thick layer of high SPF sunblock all over my face, shoulders, and arms.

Fingers crossed I don't wake up looking bright red.  So far, my face doesn't look too red from the day.

#58 Jamie Ann

Jamie Ann

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

Hey just let you know I'm following this log! I'm about to start my 2nd course

About to start my 2nd round of Accutane.

Feel free to message me concerning all things Accutane since I am well experienced. smile.png

My 1st log: http://www.acne.org/...n-accutane-log/

#59 taned

taned

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

Thanks for checkin in on my log richardb & thanks for well wish

Checked your sitsh & you're experienced so I'll cross my fingers it'll get good this time :)

I didn't see anyone mentioning Carmex. Carmex is totally outstanding imo, my lips would've fallen off without it, there really is no comparison!

#60 richardb

richardb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

I use Carmex too most the time, since I have a million tubes of the stuff.  I haven't found anything better than Carmex/Aquaphor which seem to work equally as well.  I forgot to take it to work today and it was brutal!

My triglycerides have come down!

First Month

TRIG                         233 mg/dL     (30 - 150)          H

Today they were 156.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users