Photo

Serotonin and depression.

depression suicide

3 replies to this topic

#1 OzPower

OzPower

Arrogant Australian who talks to much :)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Acne.org - the pinnacle of mans achievement is to visit this place!<br /><br />Health and fitness<br /><br />Ma sexy body<br /><br />Hollistic alternatives to health<br /><br />Vagina<br /><br />Boobies<br /><br />Research on anything and everything!<br /><br />Running!<br /><br />My family, they are like the simpsons but i love them so!<br /><br />Making fun of Old Man :)<br /><br />On a final note, anything and everything that makes me a better person is a passion i cannot live without, as furthering ones self brings one closer to becoming complete.

Posted 12 October 2004 - 03:06 AM

Hey i cut pasted some cool info for sufferers of mental issues and the role of serotonin. Contains information on it's role, how it's produced, how it regulates many bodily functions. Also added an interesting letter from a person who has cleansed out her body, i didn't include any replies but it was suggested cleaning out your system leads to increased serotonin levels. Refer fat people who diet, notice how they seem so much happier.

Listening to your gut may surprise many people to learn that the gut actually contains as many neurons (nerve cells) as the spinal cord. In an article in the medical journal Gut, author J. D. Woods and colleagues compare this network -- known as the enteric nervous system, or ENS -- to a "local mini-brain" storing a library of programs for different patterns of gut behavior." Woods and colleagues compare the ENS to a microcomputer with its own independent software, "whereas the brain is like a larger mainframe with extended memory and processing circuits that receive information from and issue commands to the enteric computer." With all these messages, the connection between the brain and the digestive system is a busy two-way street. The central nervous system releases chemicals (acetylcholine and adrenaline) that tell the stomach when to produce acid, when to churn, and when to rest. Similar signals help guide the movements of the intestines. The digestive system responds by sending electrical

messages to the brain, creating such sensations as hunger, fullness, pain, nausea, discomfort, and possibly sadness and joy. As strange as it sounds, our guts just might help shape our moods, says Emeran Mayer, MD, a gastroenterologist and the chairman of the new Mind-Body Collaborative Research Center at the University of California at Los Angeles. Mayer points to the vagus nerve, essentially a large electrical cable that runs between the brain and the digestive system. "Doctors once believed the nerve's main job was controlling acid production in the stomach," Mayer says. "But 95 percent of the fibers go the other direction -- from the gut to the brain." Nobody knows exactly what messages travel along this cable, but scientists have found that stimulating the nerve at different frequencies can cause either anxiety or a strong sense of well being. Perhaps the term "gut feeling" isn't just a figure of speech after all. Mayer suggests another intriguing possibility: Prozac and similar antidepressants may actually work on the gut, not the brain. Drugs known as SSRIs (short for selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) ease depression by enhancing levels of serotonin. Most experts assume it's the extra serotonin in the brain that helps improve mood. But 95 percent of the serotonin in the body actually lies within the digestive system. Perhaps, Mayer says, SSRIs do their job by boosting serotonin in the gut and changing the signals along the vagus nerve.Whatever messages may be passing back and forth, they can easily become garbled in times of stress. When the brain senses a threat, real or imagined, it sounds the alarm by flooding the body with adrenaline and another hormone called CRF (short for corticotropin-releasing factor). These hormones trigger the "fight or flight" response -- helpful back in the days when humans had to run from lions, but a potential liability when we lose a job or go through a divorce. If you suffer from frequent emotional distress -- perhaps because of extreme stress, depression, or anxiety -- the unrelenting flood of adrenaline and CRF will take a toll on your digestive system. For one thing, the hormones can make the cells in the stomach and intestines extra-sensitive to pain. As a result, normal contractions and movements can become excruciating. The new signals can also disrupt the motion of the intestines, causing bouts of constipation or diarrhea.

Other SSRIs have been implicated in suicide attempts also. And withdrawal symptoms include hallucinations, nervousness, melancholy, flu-like symptoms, nausea, tingling and electric shock sensations, and vivid dreams.

Unfortunately, these drugs are big, big business — reaping billions a year in profits for the big drug companies. There is an interest in keeping them on the market.

According to one report, Lilly contributed $2.87 million to The National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI), a nonprofit support and advocacy organization of consumers, families, and friends of people with severe mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and anxiety disorders. The report also states that Jerry Radke, a Lilly executive, is on loan to NAMI, working out of the organization’s headquarters.

Studies have found that serotonin plays an important role in depression, mood, anxiety, sleep, appetite control, memory, learning, temperature regulation, sexual behavior, hallucinations, cardiovascular functions, skeletal muscle contractions, endocrine (hormone) regulation, blood clotting, and GI motility — contractions of the stomach and intestines that move food along and promote digestion.

Low levels of serotonin cause,

Anxiety
Fatigue
Depression
Pre-menstrual syndrome
Problems in thinking, concentrating, and decision making
Low self esteem
Needless feelings of unworthiness and guilt
Loss of interest and pleasure in usual activities
Sleep and appetite disturbances
Chronic depressive disorder
Obsessive compulsive disorder
Bulimia
Alcoholism
Violent temper and poor impulse control
Panic/agoraphobia syndrome1

Also, have him have foods that increase serotonin production in the gut (it is not just a brain hormone). Cooked vegetables, salads, and fruits, grains greatly etc., help make more serotonin in both the gut and brain, but dead foods like meat, fish, poultry, and fungi foods such as aged cheese, reduce production. These block up the basal membranes of the blood vessel walls supplying the cells with nutrients, including brain cells. When the nutrients cannot be delived, production of important brain hormones drops.

Fermented dairy products are rich in several essential amino acids, including tryptophan, which your body uses to produce seratonin—a neurotransmitter with a calming effect. If you’ve ever had a cup of warm milk at night to help you relax and sleep, know that it is the tryptophan in milk that makes this natural insomnia remedy work. When a cultured milk product, such as real yogurt, is eaten, the action of the friendly bacteria results in even more tryptophan, which, in turn, means more relaxing seratonin.

Seratonin controls the peristaltic action of the intestines and the process of REM sleep. If we are deprived of REM sleep over a period of time we will begin to hallucinate. If we are deprived of REM sleep for a long enough period of time we will tend towards schizophrenia. LSD blocks the action of seratonin—it stops uterine and intestinal contractions and it disrupts any hope for REM sleep as well, and tends to make most people hallucinate. The hallucinations caused by ingesting LSD can therefore be considered to be a seratonin deficiency, and the hallucinations created by LSD are similar to the experience of schizophrenics. This opens up the possibility of schizophrenia being a disease brought about by a deficiency or blocking of seratonin. Dr. Gershon states that 99% of the seratonin available to our system is manufactured in our gut. Which comes first, the chicken or the egg? Can we say that the brain in the skull rules the brain in our stomach, or can we say that the brain in our stomach rules the brain in our skull? Perhaps the answer is "Both."

Physiologically, anorexia has been linked to abnormal levels of the neurotransmitter seratonin, which is involved in eating regulation.

I was weaning off Serzone from this past Sept to Dec. That was my 4th medicated episode, the longest of them all at 1.5 years. All over a span of 9 years.

I started cleansing Jan 9. Have done all the cleanses so far once and am on round 2 of all the cleanses. I've been a bit agressive with the cleansing. Round #2 of the MC was a bit soon, should have waited another month, since I decided to stop on day 8 after cheating about half a dozen times.

I did not renew my prescription in January and decided to see what would happen. By day 3 of MC, I noticed a huge difference in my mental function and alertness. My mental endurance, alertness and sharpness, doubled/tripled and I reached and have maintained that level since.

It's only nearing the end of 4 months at this point, so only time will tell if I will have a relapse or am cured from depression.

Since I've started cleansing in January, I have not felt this good in every respect in 10 years time. I've also lost 24lbs in the process (with another 10-15lbs more to go).

Dr. Roberts tells how Aspartame poisoning is escalating Alzheimer’s
Disease, and indeed it is. As the hospice nurse told me, women are being
admitted at 30 years of age with Alzheimer’s Disease. Dr. Blaylock and Dr.
Roberts will be writing a position paper with some case histories and will
post it on the Internet. According to the Conference of the American
College of Physicians: "We are talking about a plague of neurological
diseases caused by this deadly poison." Dr. Roberts realized what was
happening when Aspartame was first marketed. He said: "My diabetic patients
presented memory loss, confusion, and severe vision loss." At the
Conference of the American College of Physicians, doctors admitted that
they did not know why. They had wondered why seizures were rampant (the
phenylalanine in Aspartame breaks down the seizure threshold and depletes
serotonin, which causes manic depression, panic attacks, rage and violence).

Serotonin is probably the most famous neurotransmitter because of the antidepressants that boost it up. Receptors for serotonin show up in the intestines (it makes food move through faster), blood vessels (increases constriction--and blood pressure and migraines), and of course the central nervous system. High serotonin levels lower appetite.(36)

When levels of serotonin are low, our ability to sleep is disturbed and we can't feel pleasure in anything. (36) We crave carbohydrates.(36) Low levels are linked to depression, obsessive compulsive disorder, violence, aggression, and suicide.(16) And low levels of serotonin are linked to panic disorder.(10) Weirdly, low levels of serotonin may also lead to urinary frequency, hyperactive bladder, and urge incontinence.(46) In the past they knew that women with bladder problems were depressed, but they thought the bladder problems caused the depression. Now, however, it looks as though both could be caused by low serotonin levels.

---------------

I also read a report on cats that were completely deprived of seratonin in a research study, the cats became insomniacs completely unable to sleep, ever. Soon as they were given a shot of serotonin they wen't straight to sleep.

I'm starting to lean towards nearly all of mankinds ills are related to the digestive tract. Think of it like this, the body cant get anything except ogygen and other gaseous forms without eating. We eat crap, our bodies absorb it, we clog up our intestines and nothing much gets absorbed such as nutrients. When things do pass through, they pass through undigested which then causes the body to see undigested proteins, food molecules etc as foreign which then leads the body to attack itself(autoimmune disease). From what im learning, every disease or condition i can think of leads straight to the digestive tract, well i'll summarize.

Sure it sounds radical, but hey i'll feed you an anaolgy.. Put kerosine in your car and see how well it runs, before long, the engine will be busted, it needs unleaded right? well feed your body crap and the same result will happen.

You are what you eat.

#2 SteveBrown

SteveBrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 October 2004 - 06:41 AM

I knew aspartame was poison the only time I ever tried it, it gave me such a headache.

Yes, seritonin seems to be necessary for our sense of well-being. It is far better to maintain our seritonin levels by natural means, rather than by taking drugs like Prozac. Our brains actually have the ability to counter depression, but too many people pop pills before that can happen.

#3 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 October 2004 - 07:39 AM

Only 3% of seratonin is contained in the brain. Of course drug companies want you to think otherwise.

Thanks, Oz. Great post.

#4 OzPower

OzPower

Arrogant Australian who talks to much :)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Acne.org - the pinnacle of mans achievement is to visit this place!<br /><br />Health and fitness<br /><br />Ma sexy body<br /><br />Hollistic alternatives to health<br /><br />Vagina<br /><br />Boobies<br /><br />Research on anything and everything!<br /><br />Running!<br /><br />My family, they are like the simpsons but i love them so!<br /><br />Making fun of Old Man :)<br /><br />On a final note, anything and everything that makes me a better person is a passion i cannot live without, as furthering ones self brings one closer to becoming complete.

Posted 12 October 2004 - 08:42 PM

Yeah, be nice if they came out and said eating healthy will improve your mental well being, then again mc'donalds spends over 2 billion each year on advertising, the US government spends 2 million. I can see where their priorities lay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users