Photo
Mild to Moderate Acne

Acne And Your Mind

acne hormones mind

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 mavor

mavor

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:44 AM

Hi. I think there is a greater correlation between how we think and acne. With thinking I mean in the sense of how your mind is operating: your mood, stress etc.

I have suffered from acne for five years, and it came around and under my mouth after a really stressfull period with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, I have struggled with it ever since.

There was only one time when the acne went away for some months, and that was when I was extremely depressed and didn't care about what I ate or if I had acne at all. I dont think depression is the main course of acne, probably more anxiousness-related. you could both be anxious and depressed at the same time.....

One other instance was when I lived of just bread and butter for two or three days, my mood was good, and I didn't really care about my acne at all, it cleared up much faster, and no new pimples. Diary and gluten is supposed to be bad for you right, and I am even lactose-intolerant since young age! That is confusing to say the least, I didnt even move around, I just sat at my computer.

Im tempted to believe that how you are thinking couid be a main cause for acne in many situations, As the thinking can influence hormones and hormones are needed for sebum production.

I think we should maybe start looking at mood, stress and how much we care about acne, and not so much about food.

Like a diary on how you feel and how your acne is. Sometimes you might think that you are a little bit happier, but many times its hard to notice that you are really making decisions based on your acne, and that you are not thinking very healthy even though you think so. So you have to be careful in your observations if you dont see results...

I will start trying to condition myself into better thinking. Will update if I have success, but I really believe there is something to this.

#2 ask24

ask24

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

Mood does affect your hormone levels in your body.

That had happened to me as well, just eating a mono-diet of carbs and nothing else. Technicially your body is become deficient of essential vitamins and minerals by just consuming those foods. Eating dairy is kind of "iffy" ... I would say try to boil your milk (on a stove not microwave) and consume and you'll be fine. 

THe reason why your skin cleared up from only bread and butter is probaly your body is detoxing during that time, and since no other food is consumed, your body doesnt have to place much stress in digesting that food. But you are definitely on to something. 

#3 kelseylee

kelseylee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

I think you are totally right. People focus so much on diet that it basically turns into an eating disorder that is just a product of anxiety...the same anxiety which is promoting the acne in the first place. there is a huge mental-skin connection that is hard to recognize when you're in the midst of anxiety/acne/other skin issues/stress. so many ppl on here start out talking about their acne and then it comes out later about other challenges such as hormonal imbalances, stress, anxiety, depression, eating disorders, obsessive thinking, etc. it's important to eat healthy but there is a distinct difference between eating healthy/intuitively/with joy and massive restricting/obsession with extreme diets/being socially isolated due to diet.

Edited by kelseylee, 16 April 2013 - 03:12 PM.

#4 Spotthedifference

Spotthedifference

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 42
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

Acne gives us stress, stress gives us acne. It's unfortunatley a widely accepted cycle.

#5 13yearsofAcne

13yearsofAcne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

Maybe but don't beat yourself up too much for having acne. Plenty of people working 12hr days, in financial difficulty, with serious illnesses and the stresses of the world on their shoulders yet don't get a single pimple.

If you've got a genetic mutation that codes for a more sticky sebum, it would be like trying to change the colour of your hair by changing your thoughts. 

Edited by 13yearsofAcne, 18 April 2013 - 01:02 PM.

#6 laurastacey

laurastacey

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

Hi, i'm new to this forum and confused about what's going on with my skin. I've had one doctor tell me it could be rosacea, and another tell me it looks like mild acne with inflammation. Could someone please take a look at my face and let me know what you think? (:

Attached Files

#7 13yearsofAcne

13yearsofAcne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

Looks like mild acne vulgaris. Once daily application of benzoyl peroxide would probably clear that up. Don't use very much benzoyl peroxide otherwise you'll just get a bunch hyperpigmentation.

#8 laurastacey

laurastacey

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

Looks like mild acne vulgaris. Once daily application of benzoyl peroxide would probably clear that up. Don't use very much benzoyl peroxide otherwise you'll just get a bunch hyperpigmentation.

Thank you for the reply.

My doctor gave me metronizadole gel which has increased any facial redness i had before, can mild acne even cause a lot of redness? :/