Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Is The Least Androgenic Birth Control Pill?

3 posts in this topic

I've heard answers to this question such as ortho cyclen, zovia, desogen, ortho novum, etc. Does anyone know which one really is the least androgenic?

Well the least would be Yaz or Yasmin as that is anti-androgen. However if you had problems with Spiro you might have similar problems with those. Here is a link to a great explanation and chart. To determine the androgenicity of b.c. progestin you have to multiply the relative androgenicity by the amount of progestin used. So you could have a highly androgenic progestin such as desogestrel, but when you multiply this by the amount used in desogen - it actually comes out to be among the lowest androgenic pills. I think this is why there is so much confusion. You have to go through each one and do the math.

http://www.fainamd.com/resources/Which+OCP+is+Best+Handout.pdf

1 person likes this

Ok so I think if I'm doing the math right it looks like Ortho cyclen is the lowest followed by Zovia, Ovcon-35, and then Ortho novum. I'm on zovia right now and I really like it, but for the past 3 months I've had breakthrough bleeding :( I don't want to switch pills but I'm thinking it might be good to try Ortho cyclen (different than ortho tri cyclen) Has anyone had any experiences with it?