Photo

How Do I Treat? The Regimen? Horrible Teenage Acne

acne the regimen acne.org papules scars hyperpigmentation treatment teenage hormonal scarring

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 pls

pls

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

Attached File  IMG_05941.JPG   86.41K   1 downloads right cheek(worse) Attached File  IMG_05751.JPG   92.15K   3 downloads left cheek (not as bad as right)

ps i don't know if the pics will show up because I'm new to this site and don't really know how to use it... and sorry for not rotating the pics. Anyways..

I get papules that turn into pustules. They take about 2 weeks or more to go away and leave this horrible bright red mark, and I don't even pop it. I ordered Dan's BP treatment and Purpose cleanser and Olay moisturizer (the one he recommends) and I'm going to start The Regimen when my orders arrive. Any other advice for me? PS I know I look super young but I am a teenager (13) and I've struggled with acne for about a year and a half. It's gotten to the point where I never want to go out anyone. It looks much worse in real life. I also have discoloring and hyper pigmentation, as well as some active acne on my forehead and chin. My whole face is pretty much covered in acne. Plus basically my whole face - especially my forehead- is SUPER oily. I also have back and shoulder acne and my whole shoulder area is scared up and covered with red and pus filled pimples.

How do I treat this? Do you think there's a better thing to try instead of the regimen? If you go to my profile and read what i have on there, you will see that i"ve tried many things. I don't know what else to do. What can i do to treat the hyper pigmentation?

I have been to the derm and he gave me Epiduo (Made me face red, scaly, and burn) and this one oral antibiotic but I got lazy and didn't keep up. Plus the antibiotic - i think it was doxycycline- made me throw up. I probably should have just stuck to the routine, but i didn't :/ That was back when the acne wasn't that bad. I don't want to go back to the derm because my doctor was so rude and didn't explain why he prescribed me what he did. He just handed me the medicine and shooed me out.

So what can I do here at home? Do you recommend the regimen? Also I got my period for the first time in november and haven't gotten it since. My mom wants to take me to the doctor and put me on birth control because she says it will "make my period come down". I don't know if this is true or not because I haven't looked into it.. but i feel the real reason she wants to put me on the pill is because of my face. She's always trying to talk to me about it but I get mad at her when she does because i hate talking about it. Also, what about accutane? I don't think my acne is bad enough for it, but then again i haven't looked into that much. I don't have cysts, plus im super young. Can i be a candidate for accuntane? I feel like I'm asking such a silly question because i feel like the answer is obviously "No", but I'm still going to ask just to be sure.

I know I might come off as a little immature and inexperienced in the skin care department, but I'm really not.. Please, I just ask that you don't treat me like a little kid.

#2 Ninjawizard

Ninjawizard

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

I think your on the right track coming here.  There are many stories of people that have used the regimen for great results, although it might vary from person to person.  I can tell you right now, don't panic there's still plenty of time in your life for you to get rid of your acne (I've had acne for 10 years).  You should definitely read up on using the regimen and the proper way to use it (no slacking off or being lazy this time) there are many forum users that can help you out so feel free to ask whatever questions you want doesn't matter if your 13 or 23.  

So I do recommend the regimen, and your acne is not gonna disappear overnight, but if you keep up with the regimen you'll definitely see results, wether it be in a couple months or maybe 4 months +.  And I do not recommend accutane for you I'm not to sure age requirements but you seem too young for it.  Try out all your other options first, I think you can have a better success with less side effects.  And I know what you mean about dermatologists not explaining anything to you and just handing the medicine to you.  I've had the same experience when I was your age, It's like they just can't wait for you to leave already.  

It looks like you have exactly the same type of acne I have, papules, pustules that turn into a head, but less count than me. It takes my pimples forever to disappear on its own (2 weeks) and even then they'll slow turn into a dark/red mark on my face T-T.  I'm on week 8 of the regimen and only seeing some small improvements now.  But this is me still having a bad diet, drinking alcohol, not getting enough sleep, stressing out.  So it'll be much faster for you as long as your consistent, follow the regimen to the best of your abilities, do tons of research, and keep a positive attitude (you seem to be pretty knowledgeable now).  There's still hope little one you can definitely do it.  It's just gonna take time and you have a lot of that.  So don't hesitate and feel free to ask any question you want.  This is the acne.org forums there are many friendly people that know what you're going through and have gone through all the hardships that comes with suffering from acne.

Edited by Ninjawizard, 07 April 2013 - 04:58 PM.

#3 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

Change ur derm and get some supplements like zinc.

#4 pls

pls

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

Change ur derm and get some supplements like zinc.

I recently bought the One A Day Teen Advantage For Her Complete Multivitamin and it contains 18mg (100% daily value) of zinc. I'm going to start taking them and see if I notice any improvement. On the bottle it says it supports healthy skin and has other vitamins to improve skin, but I'll see if I notice results. Thanks for the tips :]

#5 pls

pls

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

I think your on the right track coming here.  There are many stories of people that have used the regimen for great results, although it might vary from person to person.  I can tell you right now, don't panic there's still plenty of time in your life for you to get rid of your acne (I've had acne for 10 years).  You should definitely read up on using the regimen and the proper way to use it (no slacking off or being lazy this time) there are many forum users that can help you out so feel free to ask whatever questions you want doesn't matter if your 13 or 23.  

So I do recommend the regimen, and your acne is not gonna disappear overnight, but if you keep up with the regimen you'll definitely see results, wether it be in a couple months or maybe 4 months +.  And I do not recommend accutane for you I'm not to sure age requirements but you seem too young for it.  Try out all your other options first, I think you can have a better success with less side effects.  And I know what you mean about dermatologists not explaining anything to you and just handing the medicine to you.  I've had the same experience when I was your age, It's like they just can't wait for you to leave already.  

It looks like you have exactly the same type of acne I have, papules, pustules that turn into a head, but less count than me. It takes my pimples forever to disappear on its own (2 weeks) and even then they'll slow turn into a dark/red mark on my face T-T.  I'm on week 8 of the regimen and only seeing some small improvements now.  But this is me still having a bad diet, drinking alcohol, not getting enough sleep, stressing out.  So it'll be much faster for you as long as your consistent, follow the regimen to the best of your abilities, do tons of research, and keep a positive attitude (you seem to be pretty knowledgeable now).  There's still hope little one you can definitely do it.  It's just gonna take time and you have a lot of that.  So don't hesitate and feel free to ask any question you want.  This is the acne.org forums there are many friendly people that know what you're going through and have gone through all the hardships that comes with suffering from acne.

Thank you so much for replying!! You were very helpful and what you said motivated me in a way :) So my plan is to go on Dan's regimen and keep at it no matter what. I'm expecting my skin to purge and I'm aware that it's going to get dry, but I won't give up! Haha, so anyways I have a few more questions. My current acne is red, inflamed, sore, and it's painful to touch. I also put undiluted 100% tea tree oil on my active pimples (Bad, i know :/ ) That has made the certain part of my face where I apply it dry and the texture is scaly after I cleanse. So today I made a mask of ground up oats mixed with honey. I felt like it soothed my skin, softened it, and ...made made it brighter? (I might be imagining that part, haha) Well, my question is, will I be able to do this mask while on the regimen, or will it interfere? ​I'm imagining that I'd apply the mask after cleansing, then wash it off and continue with the normal routine. My other question is will I be able to treat scars while on the regimen? Does BP treat scars? On most of the reviews for the regimen that I've seen on Youtube, the people said it's cleared their skin up and I noticed they have no scars. And they aren't wearing makeup either (at least that's what they said.) Do I have to wait until my acne is cleared to treat the scars/hyper pigmentation? Once again, thanks so much for your help!

#6 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

Hun, from what i have read, you sound very far from immature - in fact, you come across as VERY articulate.  I know how you feel as i have had acne since i was 14/15 and sadly i still have it at 29.  With that said, i agree with others that The Regimen is a good place to start.  You are definitely in that hormonal stage but i don't recommend birth control as a first resort as at some point you will have to come off it and many times, acne gets worse once you do.  Give the regimen a try though and remember that you must be diligent, even when you start to clear.  Slack off and you'll pay the price. 

You are not alone so don't ever feel as if you have to struggle by yourself.  As for your mom, she's only trying to help so sit her down and tell her that you appreciate what she is trying to do but all it is achieving is making you more stressed out and self conscious.  It is quite normal for you not to have a regular flow when you first start menstrating so don't stress it.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

FYI, doing a log to document your progress may help you make connections on this board and can help you see improvement over time.

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end.  Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

#7 Ninjawizard

Ninjawizard

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:21 AM

Thank you so much for replying!! You were very helpful and what you said motivated me in a way smile.png So my plan is to go on Dan's regimen and keep at it no matter what. I'm expecting my skin to purge and I'm aware that it's going to get dry, but I won't give up! Haha, so anyways I have a few more questions. My current acne is red, inflamed, sore, and it's painful to touch. I also put undiluted 100% tea tree oil on my active pimples (Bad, i know :/ ) That has made the certain part of my face where I apply it dry and the texture is scaly after I cleanse. So today I made a mask of ground up oats mixed with honey. I felt like it soothed my skin, softened it, and ...made made it brighter? (I might be imagining that part, haha) Well, my question is, will I be able to do this mask while on the regimen, or will it interfere? ​I'm imagining that I'd apply the mask after cleansing, then wash it off and continue with the normal routine. My other question is will I be able to treat scars while on the regimen? Does BP treat scars? On most of the reviews for the regimen that I've seen on Youtube, the people said it's cleared their skin up and I noticed they have no scars. And they aren't wearing makeup either (at least that's what they said.) Do I have to wait until my acne is cleared to treat the scars/hyper pigmentation? Once again, thanks so much for your help!

No problem, the worst thing one can do when suffering from acne is taking it head-on alone.  Yes, your skin will probably purge and get dry so I recommend the jojoba oil (Dan's one is good price) it's a very great additive to add to your regimen.  As for using masks, and for treating your scars separately I honestly recommend, just doing Dan's regimen.  You might be causing more irritation to your face by constantly using all these different products.  I can't be the true expert on that but many people have gotten their great results from just using the DKR alone.  Aftewards when your acne clears you can definitely work on getting rid of the pigmentation.  BP does not treat depressed acne scars, or hyper pigmentation from what I know.  If you have lightly shallow depressed scars, a peel would probably be more effective (just be sure to do peels properly and effectively) but peels can cause irritation so you would have to clear up first.  Of course the best route is if you have deeper scars would be from laser surgery.  From what I can see in your picture tho you seem to only have hyper pigmentation scars so those will go away eventually on their own.  A proper diet, would probably be more beneficial to you at this point versus using any masks/oils/toner/acv.  The thing about diet tho is that it's iffy you don't know whats gonna work for you or not.  I would recommend supplements tho since their's no harm in taking it (I started taking multivitamins/omega 3 pills).  If you want to use oil I'd definitely recommend you to try out jojoba oil and do your research on it.  When you think about it you will purge anyways so be prepared that no matter how soft or great you can make your skin feel at that moment you will break out eventually.  Until all that deep acne has been rooted out you're just gonna have to play the most funnest game ever.  The waiting game ... 

I will definitely check on your post from time to time if you do have a log.  I really would like everyone that suffers from acne to beat this disease.  Don't let acne dictate your life, your a young age it's normal for teens to have acne, being able to conquer it will be a testament of your will, dedication, and diligence.  It's great your taking acne into your hands and being more self conscious about it at your age is the best thing you can do for yourself so that when you're older you'll definitely blossom into that beautiful girl that you already are.  Just do me a favor when all the guys are all over you, not to treat guys with acne with any less respect you would do anyone else.  

Edited by Ninjawizard, 08 April 2013 - 12:26 AM.

#8 Ghost08

Ghost08

Stay Beautiful!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

I think you are doing the right thing for your skin. Though I can no longer use the DKR, I highly recommend it. I think you'll start seeing an improvement in your skin soon. Just remember to keep it up and give it time.

My Personal Log Detailing my adventures from "Natural to Not".

CURRENT REGIMEN:
(AM)
Neutrogena Facial Cleansing Bar for Acne Prone Skin, Clindamycin Phostphate Topical 1%, Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 45, Equate Absolutely Beaming Daily Moisturizer, (I mix this and the sunblock together and the sunblock helps mattify the moisturizer), 1x Vitamin D3, 1x Borage Oil, 2x Burdock Root, 1x Vitamin E, 1x Vitamin A, 2x Calcium, 1x Vitamin B Complex, 1x Vitamin C.
(PM)
Ortho-Tri Cyclen Lo, Cetaphil Anti-Bacterial Gentle Cleansing Bar, Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid, Clindamycin Phosphate Topical 1%, Grapeseed Oil.