Photo

Is Anyone On This Board An Experienced Faster?

4 replies to this topic

#1 astaxin

astaxin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

I have a couple of questions about fasting and I can't find any other forums on the internet with topics about fasting. So if you are experienced in fasting I hope you can answer my questions:

1) How often should a fast be performed? I've read some experienced fasters state that fasting becomes easier and more beneficial every time you do one, so how often should it be done? I was thinking of doing a 7 day fast every month, but is that too much?

2) Is water fasting the best type? Cause I've heard good things about juice fasting and dry fasting but I feel like I should choose one and stick to it.

#2 AyeAye

AyeAye

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 30
About Me
  • Interests:Boxing, cycling, reading, learning to speak french (tres mal), public speaking, bush walking/hiking, chocolate - well actually food in general, and perfect skin.... gazing admiringly at people's perfect skin.

Achievements

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:58 AM

I'm quite an experienced faster.  I've been known to go 3 hours without food! ;)   Haha, I couldn't fast if my life depended on it but good luck to you if you find it provides you with any benefits.

After remaining clear for around 1.5 years following DKR (The Regimen), in March 2013 I decided to change to Epiduo.  I use a pea size amount of epiduo each night, followed by a layer of topical antibiotic (Eryacne). I also apply Eryacne every morning and moisturise twice a day. After switching to Epiduo from the regimen I found that it took a good 3 months to get back to being perfectly clear again and now I might get one small pimple appear per month.  I can live with that smile.png

I started following Dan's Regimen in September 2011 after suffering with acne for 20 years or so. I followed the Regimen instructions exactly and became 100% clear within 9-11 weeks. In December 2011 and after being consistently clear for over a month, I started to slowly reduce the amount of BP I used until I was only applying BP at night. My skin still remained clear however I sometimes switched to applying BP twice a day for a few days (perhaps once a month) if I felt a few under skin bumps starting to come up. I used acne.org products (including AHA and jojoba oil) and sometimes cetaphil moisturiser at night if I felt my skin was especially dry.  In the gallery I show my week by week progress following the regimen.

#3 sleptember

sleptember

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me
  • Interests:Healthy eating, art cinema, feminism, dogs, writing, all things queer.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

Hi, why do you want to fast for seven days straight?

Personally, I practice daily intermittent fasting (15+ hours without food) and I find it highly beneficial. I begin my fast in the evening and end it in the afternoon. At first it was very difficult to go without food in the morning, but now I find it very easy and I don't get hungry until about 1300.

Look through the Diet and Holistic Forum, it contains a lot of information on fasting.

Edited by sleptember, 05 April 2013 - 08:20 AM.

#4 Lee1234

Lee1234

Wanderer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me
  • Interests:Zombies!!!!!!!!!,Cooking, selective research, intellectual conversations, comedy, oriental culture/cuisine, anime, Final Fantasy VII/VIII/IX etc, manga, films,nature, holistic living, working out, writing short stories/poems, consoles, etc etc.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:48 AM

I have a couple of questions about fasting and I can't find any other forums on the internet with topics about fasting. So if you are experienced in fasting I hope you can answer my questions:

1) How often should a fast be performed? I've read some experienced fasters state that fasting becomes easier and more beneficial every time you do one, so how often should it be done? I was thinking of doing a 7 day fast every month, but is that too much?

2) Is water fasting the best type? Cause I've heard good things about juice fasting and dry fasting but I feel like I should choose one and stick to it.

1) You can fast whenever you like, as long as you know how your body will respond in such a circumstance (I.e irritability, brain fog, fatigue etc). Fasting does get easier and easier as your body adjusts. As long as you're being consistent, your body will adapt. In regards to a 7 day fast, unless you're a Buddhist monk, I'd advise against such an extreme. However, if you're determined to have a 7 day fast once a month, contact your physician first and foremost. Build up to it, starting with a 16 hour fast and increase it by 2 hours every 5 days.This will prevent your body from having to make any hasty changes due to "shock" (This was my method to avoid unnecessary fat retention, when I used to fast for 24 hours every week).

2) Juice fasting (In my eyes) is the superior of the three, down to the fact that you're still getting some decent nutrients in your system and the mental impact isn't as severe, because you're consuming fluids (as opposed to dry) and those fluids are flavoured (as opposed to water fasting).

If you do decide to juice (lol), invest in a decent juicer. One where you can maintain all of the fruits contents afterwards (That's all fruit WITH their skins. Obvious exceptions- Oranges, Bananas etc.)

Finally, if you're going to fast, why not keep a log?. It'll help you stay on track and others can help you with their tips and motivation.

Good luck!

Edited by Lee1234, 05 April 2013 - 08:50 AM.

"Long hair makes a good looking man, beautiful and an ugly man fierce"

#5 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

I only do intermittent fasting.
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users