Photo

Doctor Wants To Put Me On Spiro - Help Me Find An Herbal/natural Alternative

spironolactone saw palmetto progesterone cream

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#21 WishClean

WishClean

Healthy Lifestyle Advocate

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

I think low progesterone can affect acne a lot, even. I'm not an expert when it comes to this, but I've understood that progesterone somehow "balances" or neutralizes the effects of other sex hormones. And I've thought that pre-menstrual acne is caused by decreasing levels of progesterone before menstruation, but I'm not sure.

You may have vitamin B12 or pholate deficiency that could've contributed to the macrocytic anemia, so it may be a good idea to include foods high in those vitamins (e.g. liver), or perhaps take supplements. But some other issues like blood loss or liver dysfunction can cause it as well. Vitamin deficiencies are the most common cause though. They will probably want to do more tests to define what's caused it for you. And also since thalassemia is a genetic issue apparently, according to Wikipedia, I don't know if that may have contributed to the macrocytic anemia.

I hope things will resolve for you now that you know what the issue is! Good luck!

Yeah, I researched low progesterone symptoms and acne is one of them. No idea why the doctor said it's not the main cause of my acne and that I should look at other possibilities. Then again, this was the same doctor who was convinced I should go on spironolactone because my androgens were high....So glad I got my hormones checked and refused to go on spiro or birthcontrol. Those are not for everyone, especially in complex situations. Even the doctor told me that spiro would have made things worse in my case, because it would have thrown my other hormones off balance too.

As for the anemia, my family insists it can't be thalassemia because they would have found out earlier  - in mediterranean countires, they check at birth to see if babies have the thalassemia gene, which is not the same as full-blown thalassemia (which can require blood transfusion). So, once again, I will need to take more tests to verify...my trust in these particular  doctors is ultra low right now! I have started taking B vitamins with folic acid to hopefully address some of the deficiencies.

Good luck to you too! Keep me updated on your progress! I haven't yet tested for insulin resistance but it's on my to-do list.

Supplements: inositol, DIM, digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: Low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials... (although I have been slacking lately)

** Find the cause, find the cure **

#22 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

All seeds contain lectins. Actually, all foods do, but especially plants, especially seeds. The chitin binding lectins bind to NAG, N- acetyl whatever glucosamine. Which is what our digestive tracts are lined with, and fungi cell walls and insect and crustacean shells are made of. This is to protect the seed by harming pretty much anything that might want to eat it.

i buy buckwheat from the whole foods bulk bins and I sprout it.

Edited by alternativista, 13 April 2013 - 03:25 PM.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!