Photo

SuperSIZE Me

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 October 2004 - 01:20 PM

Has anyone seen this film yet?

I'm currently watching it in my nutrition class and it's rather funny & sick at the same time. Sick because this poor guy is not used to eating McDonalds daily, let alone supersize so he has his "moments" Plus he interviewed this one man that eats at least 2 Big Macs a day! There's even a conference where Jared the Subway guy is being filmed advocating weightloss by eating (subways) cold cut sandwiches 2x a day.

Anyway, this guy was evaluated by 3 doctors, a nutritionist, and some sort of physical exercisie person and is perfectly healthy, has above average fitness level, and is low risk for heart problems etc. So the doctors predict that at the end of his 1 month McDonalds Binge he will only have raised triglyceride levels. Well I've only seen up to day 10 and he's already gained almost 10lbs! He's not gorging on food, he actually has to follow some rules:

1. He must eat 3 meals a day, no exceptions.

2. Can only eat what McDonalds sells. So only bottle water if McD sells it. only Salads if it sells it, etc.

3. He must eat EVERYTHING on the menu at least once. (Day 9 and he finished the menu)

4. He can only get the Supersize if they ASK him

5. No exercising (except for his daily walking around to work) because the avg. american doesn't

Then some things that stuck out were the mentioning on how the Small Fries & Cokes used to be the only size a fast food place sold. Now there are 4 or 5 sizes (up to 64oz), but in other countries, the Smalls are still considered the Large! That children knew who Ronald McD was before they knew who Jesus or the first U.S. presidents were. That McDonalds spends either $1.5 or 2.5 Billion in the U.S. for advertising (papers, radio, & TV) where as the U.S. Govt spends only $2 Million a year for Nutrition Education.

Oh and there was some clip (trying to find it) where it showed a document by McD or some other food company where it said something like "the processed food produced is designed to be unhealthier than unprocessed food."

#2 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 October 2004 - 01:29 PM

These people lost weight on the 30 day McDiet, but they were also exercising and/or watching their calories....something people don't usually do.

http://www.techcentr...om/090804G.html

#3 Ryan Valmont

Ryan Valmont

The Rated R Superstar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 11 October 2004 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE(SweetJade1980 @ Oct 11 2004, 11:20 AM)
Has anyone seen this film yet? 

I'm currently watching it in my nutrition class and it's rather funny & sick at the same time.  Sick because this poor guy is not used to eating McDonalds daily, let alone supersize so he has his "moments"  Plus he interviewed this one man that eats at least 2 Big Macs a day!  There's even a conference where Jared the Subway guy is being filmed advocating weightloss by eating (subways) cold cut sandwiches 2x a day.

Anyway, this guy was evaluated by 3 doctors, a nutritionist, and some sort of physical exercisie person and is perfectly healthy, has above average fitness level, and is low risk for heart problems etc.  So the doctors predict that at the end of his 1 month McDonalds Binge he will only have raised triglyceride levels.  Well I've only seen up to day 10 and he's already gained almost 10lbs!  He's not gorging on food, he actually has to follow some rules:

1.  He must eat 3 meals a day, no exceptions.

2. Can only eat what McDonalds sells.  So only bottle water if McD sells it. only Salads if it sells it, etc.

3.  He must eat EVERYTHING on the menu at least once.  (Day 9 and he finished the menu)

4.  He can only get the Supersize if they ASK him

5.  No exercising (except for his daily walking around to work) because the avg. american doesn't
Then some things that stuck out were the mentioning on how the Small Fries & Cokes used to be the only size a fast food place sold.  Now there are 4 or 5 sizes (up to 64oz), but in other countries, the Smalls are still considered the Large!    That children knew who Ronald McD was before they knew who Jesus or the first U.S. presidents were.  That McDonalds spends either $1.5 or 2.5 Billion in the U.S. for advertising (papers, radio, & TV) where as the U.S. Govt spends only $2 Million a year for Nutrition Education.
Oh and there was some clip (trying to find it) where it showed a document by McD or some other food company where it said something like "the processed food produced is designed to be unhealthier than unprocessed food."

View Post

i never understand tests or experiments like this,easy option is to just not eat as much as that.

I'd find it hard to believe somebody would eat that much mcdonalds in there daily diet?!.

#4 Guest_Captain Chaos_*

Guest_Captain Chaos_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 11 October 2004 - 01:52 PM

I do think the point the guy is making with the film is a waste of time

It's like with anything, I'm sure if you ate bananas or doughnuts for that long you'd feel pretty crappy too.

#5 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 October 2004 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE(Ryan Valmont @ Oct 11 2004, 12:44 PM)
i never understand tests or experiments like this,easy option is to just not eat as much as that.

I'd find it hard to believe somebody would eat that much mcdonalds in there daily diet?!.

View Post

Well, that depends on your definition of Fast Food (Fast food resturancts, junk food, vending machine food, Tv Dinners, etc?). In general people don't eat at a Fast Food resturant that often, but there are those busy people, mothers, students that will grab fast food and will eat it several times a week if not more.

I was doing a paper and found that on average, americans consume fast food 3x a week. Personal experience...3 - 5x a week for several years, that increases if you add in the vending machine food, Pizzas, & Burgers I had for lunch in Middle School (age 11 - 13) and then the Fast Food & Vending Machine and occiasionally the Pretzels & Cinnabons from the cafeteria in High School. My acne kicked in at age 10 and kept getting worse (as in other problems). Over the years I continually modified my diet dropping the cokes (12 years ago), eating more dry goods (breads, granola, cereal), not eating a ton of fatty foods, but that still wasn't enough.

I SHOULD have known better, but no one educated me that what I was doing was detrimental. I didn't learn anything about nutrition until ONE class in High School, even then that wasn't it's sole focus, but a general health class. So We know it's not healthy, yet the key is HOW unhealthy. I certainly never knew how much sugar & altered fats they sneak into these foods. That's what the film points out. That the marketing is geared toward children & teenagers. That for those that don't have local parks, they can go to McDonalds and play over there. While they're at it they might as well grab a "Happy" Meal and get a free toy! Not to mention, we have Celebrities and Athletes advocating tons of junk food products, Why? Athletes know soda isn't not going to help their performance.

I believe that you can eat out and make WISER decisions, but still most fast food companies don't even have their ingredients or nutritional info on their websites, let alone in the stores. I've been successful at some places but at others, they don't even have the ingredient labels on the boxes! I think that's where the problem is, people think that it's not that unhealthy, yet the side effects don't happen until years or decades later. Certainly our parents & grandparents weren't consuming fast food this often. It was probably several times a year for them at most, vs. several times a week for us. Which generation had a healthier foundation?

Now, what I would LOVE to see is at the bottom of all those sugar campaigns on TV is a warning that says:

"daily consumption & lack of exercise may increase your risk of obesity, heart disease or type II diabetes"

#6 sadcaroline

sadcaroline

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 October 2004 - 03:00 PM

Jade- i was just curious- what are you going to school for? you have so much knowledge of hormones etc, i sure hope its something medical smile.gif

#7 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 October 2004 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE(Captain Chaos @ Oct 11 2004, 12:52 PM)
I do think the point the guy is making with the film is a waste of time

It's like with anything, I'm sure if you ate bananas or doughnuts for that long you'd feel pretty crappy too.

View Post

LOL, yeah for most of us (now) it seems like common sense, but I think the other reason he did the experiment had to do with some lawsuit. There were two teenage girls that become obese as they aged and decided to sue Mc Donalds for it. The Judge ruled that "if they could prove the foods these companies sell/make aren't fit for daily consumption and is damaging to their health/weight, then they could sue". It was something along those lines, so of course now you have to prove that DAILY consumption is detrimental ;-)

#8 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 October 2004 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE(sadcaroline @ Oct 11 2004, 02:00 PM)
Jade- i was just curious- what are you going to school for? you have so much knowledge of hormones etc, i sure hope its something medical smile.gif

View Post

Right now it's biology, but in the spring it will be for Dietetics. I really love them both, but I've focused so little on nutrition in the past, that I'm ready to focus on it more in the future.

As for medical school, that's what my former endocrinologist was pushing for and some people think I should go for dermatology. Yet I don't feel that way, and the only reason I would is because I would have to be motivated to the point that I want to change the dermatology field or use endocrinology as a way to understand more about the consequences of our dietary decisions. Actually though, the closest I would ever get to being a doctor, would be a ND. They focus on both the biological AND Nutritional aspects of health along with some minor surgery.

Say, is the curcumin working for you?

#9 Andrei

Andrei

»(^__^)«

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 October 2004 - 03:49 AM

QUOTE(SweetJade1980 @ Oct 11 2004, 02:14 PM)
Right now it's biology, but in the spring it will be for Dietetics.  I really love them both, but I've focused so little on nutrition in the past, that I'm ready to focus on it more in the future.

As for medical school, that's what my former endocrinologist was pushing for and some people think I should go for dermatology.  Yet I don't feel that way, and the only reason I would is because I would have to be motivated to the point that I want to change the dermatology field or use endocrinology as a way to understand more about the consequences of our dietary decisions.  Actually though, the closest I would ever get to being a doctor, would be a ND.  They focus on both the biological AND Nutritional aspects of health along with some minor surgery.

Say, is the curcumin working for you?

View Post

Jade, do your parents and relatives know about your diet? Do they also follow a good one? biggrin.gif I'm as quizzical as caroline biggrin.gif

#10 edenfield

edenfield

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 October 2004 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE(SweetJade1980 @ Oct 11 2004, 12:55 PM)
Not to mention, we have Celebrities and Athletes advocating tons of junk food products, Why?  Athletes know soda isn't not going to help their performance.
I believe that you can eat out and make WISER decisions, but still most fast food companies don't even have their ingredients or nutritional info on their websites, let alone in the stores.  I've been successful at some places but at others, they don't even have the ingredient labels on the boxes!  I think that's where the problem is, people think that it's not that unhealthy, yet the side effects don't happen until years or decades later.  Certainly our parents & grandparents weren't consuming fast food this often.  It was probably several times a year for them at most, vs. several times a week for us.  Which generation had a healthier foundation? 
Now, what I would LOVE to see is at the bottom of all those sugar campaigns on TV is a warning that says:

"daily consumption & lack of exercise may increase your risk of obesity, heart disease or type II diabetes"

View Post

just about the athletes, sometimes they have to because they are endorsed. i know our olympic athletes in canada (alexandre despatie especially) get alot of funding from mcdonalds...otherwise they wouldn't be able to lead their lifestyle

#11 rm10989

rm10989

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 October 2004 - 05:18 PM

Uh, actually he was the one that got McDonalds to take the SuperSize option off of the menu and add the premium salad. But they also added the mcgriddle which just so happens to be like the most fattening thing on their menu.

#12 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 October 2004 - 05:04 PM

The whole point of the video was to prove the obvious to a stupid Supreme court ruling. The judge said that the girls suing McDonalds(btw I think the girls are stupid for suing them but that's another rant) had no proof that the food caused any damage to them. SO this guy went on the diet to prove the harm that it can do to the body.