Photo

Is Diet The End All Cure? Your Opinions.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 lostinthefog87

lostinthefog87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

I had an interesting thought.  I know most of us in this particular area of the board are outsiders right now in the fight against acne, but we all know diet plays a huge role.  The research is there and its solid.  What we eat absolutely effects our skin.

My question to you is, how big of a role does it play and can it be a cure for everyone?  What about the most severe cases out there?  What about someone with severe acne who has religiously spent years changing around with their diet and lifestyle and still has persistent acne.   What do we tell these people? 

Edited by lostinthefog87, 27 March 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#2 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

It plays a huge role and affects everyone, but no I don't think it alone can clear everyone. There are also lifestyle habits that affect the factors that lead to acne. And there are health issues that can be factors

Edited by alternativista, 28 March 2013 - 07:11 AM.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#3 foreverbold

foreverbold

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

I had an interesting thought.  I know most of us in this particular area of the board are outsiders right now in the fight against acne, but we all know diet plays a huge role.  The research is there and its solid.  What we eat absolutely effects our skin.

My question to you is, how big of a role does it play and can it be a cure for everyone?  What about the most severe cases out there?  What about someone with severe acne who has religiously spent years changing around with their diet and lifestyle and still has persistent acne.   What do we tell these people? 

The research is not "solid" it's controversial - there's studies that suggest diet plays a role and there's others that completely negate any association between diet and acne. Most likely because everyone is metabolically different and some people resond to eating clean (or non "westernized") and others absolutely do not and experience no change in their skin.

There's is still no cure for acne, you either grow out of it or you are lucky enough to find some great management strategies that put your acne in a remission of sorts which keeps you clear.

Morning skin care routine:

- Cetaphil gentle cleanser
- Panoxyl B.P
- Cetaphil daily moisturizer (applied generously)

Night time skin care routine:

- Panoxyl B.P
- Cetaphil daily moisturizer (applied generously)

#4 lostinthefog87

lostinthefog87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:24 AM

The research is not "solid" it's controversial - there's studies that suggest diet plays a role and there's others that completely negate any association between diet and acne. Most likely because everyone is metabolically different and some people resond to eating clean (or non "westernized") and others absolutely do not and experience no change in their skin.

There's is still no cure for acne, you either grow out of it or you are lucky enough to find some great management strategies that put your acne in a remission of sorts which keeps you clear.

The research and science is extremely solid.  Have you read The Clear Skin Diet by Valorie Treloar, MD?  She is a NY dermatologist and includes over 300 studies published in medical journals over the last century that show strong links between diet and acne.  This topic is for another time though.  Thanks for your input.

Edited by lostinthefog87, 28 March 2013 - 01:26 AM.

#5 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:35 AM

the problem is, WHAT causes acne for us (diet wise). It is so difficult to figure out

#6 foreverbold

foreverbold

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:37 AM

The research and science is extremely solid.  Have you read The Clear Skin Diet by Valorie Treloar, MD?  She is a NY dermatologist and includes over 300 studies published in medical journals over the last century that show strong links between diet and acne.  This topic is for another time though.  Thanks for your input.

I've had acne for 16 years and haven't received any improvement from my super healthy all restrictive mineral rich diet.

It's unfair to generalize and say that all cases of acne will improve with the right diet because this isn't the case. Not everyone has a food trigger and sometimes when we're eating our healthiest our skin is at it's worst; it's really ironic. With acne like any disorder/ disease no two cases are alike.

- Panoxyl B.P

- Panoxyl B.P

#7 lostinthefog87

lostinthefog87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:16 AM

There are some cases which diet will not significantly reduce acne.  However, it is impossible to say that diet and skin have no effect on each other.  What we put in our bodies always has a direct impact on both the inside and outside of our bodies.  This is not a generalization, this is common logic.  Sorry you haven't been able to get major changes from diet.  For now, I haven't seen much change either so its frustrating but i'm not that consistent with my diet yet.  

#8 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:10 AM

I've had acne for 16 years and haven't received any improvement from my super healthy all restrictive mineral rich diet.

It's unfair to generalize and say that all cases of acne will improve with the right diet because this isn't the case. Not everyone has a food trigger and sometimes when we're eating our healthiest our skin is at it's worst; it's really ironic. With acne like any disorder/ disease no two cases are alike.

Everyone's body reacts to sugar, inflammatory foods, and lack of nutrients it needs to function, so everyone's diet affects their acne. If you truly ate well and it didn't help, then there's a good chance that you do have a specific food intolerance that you haven't figured out. Or your stress levels, sleep/circadian rhythm or other lifestyle habits need improvement.

And what few studies that found that diet did not affect acne were extremely flawed and have been discounted.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

#9 foreverbold

foreverbold

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

Everyone's body reacts to sugar, inflammatory foods, and lack of nutrients it needs to function, so everyone's diet affects their acne. If you truly ate well and it didn't help, then there's a good chance that you do have a specific food intolerance that you haven't figured out. Or your stress levels, sleep/circadian rhythm or other lifestyle habits need improvement.

And what few studies that found that diet did not affect acne were extremely flawed and have been discounted.

Nope. I ate nothing but vegetables/raw food for many years and didn't notice a difference. No stress in my life and my lifestyle is flawless - don't drink, don't smoke and have a fantastic sleep schedule. Nothing needs improvement, I live healthier than around 89% of the population. My acne is genetic.

- Panoxyl B.P

- Panoxyl B.P

#10 ibiza1987

ibiza1987

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

I had moderate to severe acne despite eating very well, if diet could influence skin then I wonder how much worse my skin would have been had I eaten junk food? 

Also, I'd love to know why millions of people eat crap, smoke, drink, don't exercise etc and their skin ranges from okay to crystal clear. What gives?

#11 Quetzlcoatl

Quetzlcoatl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

No. But perhaps it is a nearly universal cause.

#12 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:11 AM

ibiza define exac

I had moderate to severe acne despite eating very well, if diet could influence skin then I wonder how much worse my skin would have been had I eaten junk food? 

Also, I'd love to know why millions of people eat crap, smoke, drink, don't exercise etc and their skin ranges from okay to crystal clear. What gives?

Ibiza define exactly what you were eating. Some people consider healthy foods = grains, which is not true.

I honestly think that most acne is caused by food intolerances, but it is very difficult to find which exact food is causing the acne.

Alternativista, do you truly believe that a messed up circadian rhthym/sleep cycle or stress causing acne? There is this doctor I know named doctor gundry who is a world renowned heart surgeon. He believes that all diseases are caused by dietary lectins. He has told me that if I avoid all dietary lectins, my acne will clear up completely. He said he has treated about 20-30 people with acne worse than mine by having them eat a lectin free diet. 

#13 TheKingofAcne

TheKingofAcne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

Id say no.  Not at all. 

Your question:  Is diet the end all cure?

Nope.  It's a big part of it though!  I don't think I would of gotten half as far when it came to clearing my skin if I didn't start to eat the right things.  Salmon included grinwink.gif

For me, it was combination of:

Staying consistent with my regiment

Eating the right things

Learning about essential oils (best thing I ever did)

Making sure I took care of the little things (like washing my hands before bed & changing my pillowcase)

I think thats where I can attribute my success.  Eating s definately up there though.

Study of tea Tree Oils from 1965

#14 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

Nope. I ate nothing but vegetables/raw food for many years and didn't notice a difference. No stress in my life and my lifestyle is flawless - don't drink, don't smoke and have a fantastic sleep schedule. Nothing needs improvement, I live healthier than around 89% of the population. My acne is genetic.

All our acne is genetic.

#15 Quetzlcoatl

Quetzlcoatl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:03 AM

Yes, like alternativista says, the ability of our bodies to create acne is genetic. But triggers of acne - the forces acting those genes - are not so out of our control