This is a challenge I have begun as of yesterday night and am going to continue for the next 6 days at least. Anyone is welcome to try this for themselves and I would love to hear your feedback.
Those of you who read my post about skin mirror frustration know that I've been having issues lately with my skin (breakouts) and the terrible habit of picking (which leads to worse breakouts, worse skin and emotional damage).
After doing a bit of thinking, I've identified the root of the problem (for me anyways).
The cycle starts with two main things: the mirror, or looking in it anyways, and touching the face. Us skin pickers tend to get up close and personal with looking in mirrors too long and way too often. Sometimes we don't even realize we are doing it until it's too late, and then we feel terrible for the next few days until the skin heals itself. But it doesn't take long before we do it again and history repeats itself. Touching the skin without mirrors around also complicates things, but I don't have as much of a problem with this when I'm not able to see my reflection.
My goal for this challenge is to avoid mirrors completely, as much as possible at least. I don't know about you personally but I tend to linger in the bathrom looking at my complexion, overanalyzing and eventually messing with my skin. I only feel worse after coming away from them anyways.
My personal challenge goals:
1) NO looking in mirrors as much as possible. To do this, I am only going to be in the bathroom with the lights OFF (I do have a small nightlight thing so I won't be stumbling around in the dark, but it isnt' enough to let me get a good look at my skin) and remove mirrors from my reach. The ones that won't be moved I will not look at, or if I happen to, I will blur my eyes. I know, this sounds kind of silly, but I really think this is going to help.
2) Continue this for a duration of at least 6 days. This challange will be difficult, if not impossible, for those of you who wear makeup. You may want to either take a break from makeup or wait until a period of time when you will not be in public too much. For that reason, I am going to abstain from makeup for at least a week. People can think what they want about me - what I look like isn't really who I am, so I'm gonna just be natural.
3) No touching my face at all with my hands or fingers unless applying a topical acne cream/med.
1) After the 6 days are up (I really want to shoot for 2 weeks), I hope to see a big difference in my skin. No makeup and no picking should help, if nothing else changes! I will continue my current acne treatment i just started (which is an ACV, epsom salt and tea tree oil mix I apply twice daily).
2) Even if I still get the occasional pimple during this challenge, I probably won't know it and therefore won't be bothered! I'm not going to worry about what I look like and just see what happens.
3) More time back on my hands. Looking in the mirror so much takes away from my life...I never really noticed until I've forced myself to stop.
4) "Train" me in the long run to break free of my mirror dependence and release me from its effects.
5) Hopefully, a surprise at the end - better skin, and better quality of life!
Let me know how you feel about this and your thoughts/suggestions/comments