Photo

Finally Clear: Treating Insulin Resistance With Paleo, Cinnamon, And Minerals (With Progress Pictures)

paleo cinnamon chromium zinc magnesium insulin resistance intermittent fasting

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#21 aanabill

aanabill

Sad has made me value happy!

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:21 AM

fructose causes insulin resistance. fructose is immediately shuttled to the liver. while glucose is used for energy. i would focus more on starches, than fruit. glucose in general.

there are other ways of taking care of insulin resistance.dont cut fruits out of ur diet.they are good for ur health(unless u are intolerant to something in particular).

i've been having black grapes,cucumber,apple,papaya for more than 2 mnths now and am not effected badly.

#22 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:26 AM

vitamin c reduces blood sugar and beta carotene maintains proper sugar levels. Don't cut fruits from ur diet maybe avoid citrus fruits.

#23 aanabill

aanabill

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:00 AM

I've been lurking for two years, but finally decided to make an account because I've got something to say: I'm clear, finally. After 12 years of struggle, I now know how to control my moderate acne.

In October 2011, I started eating a strict paleo diet and it cured anxiety/depression, improved my general well-being, and minimized acne.

Paleo minimized but did not stop acne completely because I was not addressing an important underlying health issue: insulin resistance. Typical symptoms: I'd regularly wake up feeling weak and starved. If I had a meal high in carbohydrates I'd get the shakes and in the next few days I'd get zits. I couldn't eat fruit by itself without breaking out the following day.

I kept hoping that strict adherence to an all natural paleo diet would fix insulin resistance, but it didn't work; I had painful acne on my face almost every day.

In January 2013, I finally acknowledged that paleo alone wouldn't solve my problems so I came to these forums to learn about what others were doing to improve insulin sensitivity. I began taking a gram of cinnamon spice after each meal. I began skipping breakfast. Even though I'd spent the past few years bad-mouthing supplements, I buckled down and bought zinc, chromium, and magnesium.

It is March. I am clear. In the past three weeks about four people have complemented my skin. It's unbelievable. See pictures below and in my gallery.

My regimen:

- I follow a modified caveman routine: wash face with plain water 2-3 times a week; regularly apply avocado or honey face masks; use ACV as a shampoo; use baking soda instead of toothpaste.

- No refined sugar, gluten, dairy, or commercially processed foods. I eat plenty of vegetables, quality meat and fish, coconut oil and fruits. I love my carbs and eat 4-5 pieces of fruit a day - as long as I eat carbs with fat, protein, and cinnamon there's no problem. Yay.

- After each meal I ingest a gram of cinnamon spice.

- I skip breakfast.

- I began my minerals campaign by taking a daily dose of 50mg of zinc, 200mcg chromium, and 100mg magnesium. I have now dropped the zinc and chromium and am only taking magnesium at night.

I will soon update this post with before and after pictures.

Just thought I'd share what's working for me.

hello again!

please dont skip breakfast.it's the most important meal of the day.it not only improves ur metabolic rate but also energizes and signals ur body.it's got load others benefits that u'll notice in longterm.its a part of healthy diet.a must!

try not to have so many eggs..two maximum.the egg yolk has 71% of the cholestrol the body needs per day.

so i've read..

i think i will start using cinnamon as well.i think i'll just chew a stick after each meal.we have the raw sticks u know.not the branded powdered ones.i think sticks will be just as fine if not better.

what exactly do u think it does btw?

i've read that it dries out the skin when applied topically.plus its anti-bacterial and helps against yeast infection too.lowers cholestrol level and is a blood regulator.

also,i dont understand..u wash ur face only 2-3 time a week?????!

how's that possible?

i'm not on paleo exactly cause i have vegetables like beans,capsicum,potato,sweet potato and also white rice etc

but even thats healthy.what say?

and i agree that a healthy has a positive effect on mind and soul;not just body.=)

dont u have fruits like grapes or papaya or u know others like strawberries,berries etc??

vitamin c reduces blood sugar and beta carotene maintains proper sugar levels. Don't cut fruits from ur diet maybe avoid citrus fruits.

citrus fruits have vit c.

lemon for example.

Hi!

Thank you for sharing your sucess.

I'm curious, do you eat a lot of eggs?  I know that most people on Paleo eat a lot of eggs, but it's a common allergen so I'm just curious...

Also, what do you mean by you eat carbs with fat?  I'm sorry, I'm not that knowledgeable in the nutrition department. lol

I stick with meat, fish, vegetables, and fruit,....   but I also eat rice and beans.  So I guess I'm not exactly paleo....

Would you mind giving us examples of what you eat in a day or recipe ideas?

smile.png

Thank you !

hello!

i eat beans and rice(white) too.

i've heard beans are rich in vitamin-b.

also eggs aint bad unless u're allergic.

i have an egg almost everyday.it's got protein and also other nutrients.

and like i was saying sleptember about the cholestrol content so too many might be a bad idea.

Great improvement sleptember!

Regarding to my diet, I have a meal based on carbohydrates, as you said you had in the past. I love bread, spaguetti, potatoes and rice with meat. I know it´s the wrong diet for skin and I should try to have more vegetables, fruit, and meat from now on. And abp

Yesterday  I was researching online about insuline resistance and I had sympthomps like  a lot of wrinkles in the neck, superoily skin, acne, hair loss, dandruff, but I am not sure if I have insulin resistance. I also feel very week and low pressure. Don,t you think there must be a way to confirm the insulin resistance? I mean, you can avoid carbs and sugar, you spike insuline and you produce more testosterone, and more testosterone = more acne ( without beeing insulin resistance). I would like to know if I have insulin resistance, but also be confirmed by some test and my test of glucose are perfect.

Have you ever tried spironolactone, diane35 or other drugs before?

By the way, if you have insulin resistance, there is a drug called metformin( glucophage) very beneficial for that condition. Have you tried it?

How long have you been clear since you don't take any suplement, and I don't understand well because you said in your previous post that after having paleo diet, you realised you couldn`t be clear just with the paleo alone, and you started taking suplements ( zinc + chromium + magnessium)

Mikito,

Try to get that confirmation, if that's what you need.  But in the meantime, since you fit so many symptoms, why not proceed on the assumption that you suffer from insulin resistance and begin treating it at home?

Personally, I don't see the need for validation from a doctor. There are a lot of gaps in conventional medicine, particularly where diet is involved. Most GPs have no clue about nutrition and think I'm an extremist for eating the way I do.

I'd rather treat my insulin resistance and other health problems through good nutrition.

I will not be trying metaformin or any other drugs. I've never been on any of the drugs you mention.

Sorry if there is any confusion about my supplements: I am taking mineral supplements (magnesium) but I am not taking any vitamin supplements (like Vitamin A, B5, C, etc).

my derma had prescribed me 'zevit' about a mnth ago.

capsules of vit-b complex and c with zinc sulphate.

it's got zn sulphate.vit b2,nicotinamide,b12,b6,calcium panthothanate(heaven knows whats that for),folic acid,vit c,biotin.

why is chromimium and magnesium needed?

what food have them?

#24 sleptember

sleptember

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

Please refer to these links to understand why the cholesterol risk of eggs is a myth:

1. Why you should eat more egg yolks

2. Eating eggs has no effect on cholesterol levels

3. Cholesterol Guide to help us understand that cholesterol isn't the problem

#25 mikito

mikito

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:55 AM

Thank you for your advice, Sleptemper. I am currently taking zinc + cinammon (quarter of a spoun x3). Cinammon is awesome, I have been doing a research online and besides lowering sugar, it has antiinflamatory properties.

Are you still acne - free without the supplementation you took before? I mean, without magnesium, zinc and chromium.

#26 sleptember

sleptember

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:00 AM

Thank you for your advice, Sleptemper. I am currently taking zinc + cinammon (quarter of a spoun x3). Cinammon is awesome, I have been doing a research online and besides lowering sugar, it has antiinflamatory properties.

Are you still acne - free without the supplementation you took before? I mean, without magnesium, zinc and chromium.

I am taking magnesium at night. I am still clear!

#27 aanabill

aanabill

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

can i get good magnesium and chromium from food?

since i dnt know that i am deficient for sure...it's safer to stick to food.

aana

Please refer to these links to understand why the cholesterol risk of eggs is a myth:

1. Why you should eat more egg yolks

2. Eating eggs has no effect on cholesterol levels

3. Cholesterol Guide to help us understand that cholesterol isn't the problem

it's a positive and encouraging.

thanks.

but i dnt agree with the part where they say 'cholesterol has nothing to do with heart diseases'.

coronary diseases have a huge huge connection to high bad cholesterol.

#28 sleptember

sleptember

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:27 PM

Update:

This weekend I decided to reintroduce a food that I'd cut out of my diet a few months ago: organic peanut butter. This is very good quality peanut butter made by a local sustainable farming operation; the only ingredients in it are organic peanuts, salt, and emulsifier (whatever that is). Since Sunday I've been eating about a tablespoon of peanut butter with fruits and cinnamon.

All seemed well until today; I've broken out - four tiny, very painful bumps clustered on my right jaw. The rest of my face is still clear. I don't know if it's the peanuts, salt, or mysterious emulsifier that are responsible for this, but I will not be eating this peanut butter again. Which is a shame because it's extremely tasty.

Edited by sleptember, 10 April 2013 - 11:29 PM.

#29 Thehoper

Thehoper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:00 AM

Emulsifier is a food additive used to not allow the oil to separate.  If you had straight peanut butter nothing else the oil would separate and be on top.  

Peanuts give a lot of people problems though.  They are very inflammatory, tons of omega 6, high lectins, whole bunch of other stuff.  Which is too bad because they are absolutely delicious lol.  I still eat PB here and there but I only ever eat PB that is straight peanuts.  

#30 aanabill

aanabill

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:33 AM

i think you should not eat them.

peanut( i think) makes me break out as well.if not big acne but many small white(sharp) heads.

did u have anything else?or just pb?

#31 carambola

carambola

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

I realize it's been a while since this thread's been posted in, but I just came across it, and I thought you should be aware that cassia cinnamon contains a liver toxin called coumarin.  It could be a problem with the amounts you have been taking (or were taking when you posted this thread).

Edited by carambola, 21 July 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#32 aanabill

aanabill

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:13 AM

I realize it's been a while since this thread's been posted in, but I just came across it, and I thought you should be aware that cassia cinnamon contains a liver toxin called coumarin.  It could be a problem with the amounts you have been taking (or were taking when you posted this thread).

i though a maximum of 3-4 gram a day is alright?

could u elaborate a lil' more on the fact.

#33 o Havoc o

o Havoc o

Havoc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

Paleo isn't paleo.

To think todays foods are anything like they were in the so called cavemen days is short sighted.

Thousands of years of agriculture has changed the food we eat.

Therefore when a company promotes an overly restrictive paleo diet, it's not "paleo"