Photo

Amazing High Street Foundation!

Best Answer lionheart88, 14 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

Hi Lily87

Thanks for the advice, I will try this tomorrow. I do usually use my fingers with liquid, I just figured maybe I would try the brush again, but I used my fingers as well since the brush didn't seem to be working! It just seems to sink into my pores, I think this is my face rather than the foundation, as this happens with every one I have tried, this did go on better than most others I have tried though and it smells really nice and doesn't feel heavy. I see what you mean about the powder, I probably brushed too hard. I think the texture of my face, the large pores and the flakiness mean it's never going to be perfect :( Also I feel like I'm going to use all the concealer in a week since about half my face is a problem area lol! Oh and yes I definately bought the foundation, I did see the serum, not really sure what it was for though?! Thanks again!

Go to the full post

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#21 lionheart88

lionheart88

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:00 PM   Best Answer

Hi Lily87

Thanks for the advice, I will try this tomorrow. I do usually use my fingers with liquid, I just figured maybe I would try the brush again, but I used my fingers as well since the brush didn't seem to be working! It just seems to sink into my pores, I think this is my face rather than the foundation, as this happens with every one I have tried, this did go on better than most others I have tried though and it smells really nice and doesn't feel heavy. I see what you mean about the powder, I probably brushed too hard. I think the texture of my face, the large pores and the flakiness mean it's never going to be perfect :( Also I feel like I'm going to use all the concealer in a week since about half my face is a problem area lol! Oh and yes I definately bought the foundation, I did see the serum, not really sure what it was for though?! Thanks again!

#22 Lily87

Lily87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

Hi Lily87

Ah bless you, don't be disheartened! I think our skin always looks worse to ourselves than it does to others!

Large pores are difficult sometimes- just due to the nature of them foundation does tend to sink in. Some clients of mine really love the Porefessional primer by Benefit. Personally, I didn't get along with it too well but everyone's different so maybe that will be worth a try for you?

If you have any flaky areas due to dry skin, then maybe try a facial oil at night? I know oil can sometimes be a massive no go for acne, but when my skin feels tight and dry, I sometimes use a facial oil by Dr Organic when I go to bed, and by the morning it's soaked in and my skin just feels a lot softer and hydrated. I know this could cause some people problems, so I guess it depends on what your skin does/ doesn't like, but it's never caused me problems.

Let me know how you get on tomorrow, good luck! :-)

#23 lionheart88

lionheart88

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

Hey. So I did exactly as you suggested and it looked amazing when I left the house. However I have a 30 min brisk walk to college on Mondays (as part of a course for work) and as my face sweated it made the make up look really patchy! I'm assuming it was the sweating making it patchy anyway. Maybe I need a primer. I was using a rimmel primer but that seemed to make it go a bit patchy looking too! I am allergic/sensitive to so many things as well that I'm reluctant to try things. Bare minerals primer broke me out so badly it took months for it to go down! Anything oily tends to break me out so not sure the facial oil would help but thanks. My entire face is red and bumpy right now I don't think anything is going to help! Oh also, I work in a sterile unit and I'm not even meant to wear make up! I have to wear some or I wouldn't be able to face work at all but it can't really look like I'm wearing any lol. :(

#24 Lily87

Lily87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

Hey. So I did exactly as you suggested and it looked amazing when I left the house. However I have a 30 min brisk walk to college on Mondays (as part of a course for work) and as my face sweated it made the make up look really patchy! I'm assuming it was the sweating making it patchy anyway. Maybe I need a primer. I was using a rimmel primer but that seemed to make it go a bit patchy looking too! I am allergic/sensitive to so many things as well that I'm reluctant to try things. Bare minerals primer broke me out so badly it took months for it to go down! Anything oily tends to break me out so not sure the facial oil would help but thanks. My entire face is red and bumpy right now I don't think anything is going to help! Oh also, I work in a sterile unit and I'm not even meant to wear make up! I have to wear some or I wouldn't be able to face work at all but it can't really look like I'm wearing any lol. :(

Hey! That's great you had success, but a shame it was so short lived because of your long walk to work!

You could try a primer- but when you have sensitive skin it's so hard to know what's best. It feels like trying anything new could be a risk!

Personally, I've never been a massive fan of primers as I've found with most of them that they sort of ball up and go lumpy when you apply foundation over the top. The only one I've really liked is the Photo Ready primer by Revlon. It leaves such a smooth, soft texture on your skin and makeup literally clings to it when applied on top. The only downside is that where the makeup does stick to it so well, it makes it harder to blend once you've applied it.

So, a light covering of the primer in your most shiny patches is the best way to go.

Or, you could try an oil free, mattifying gel moisturiser. They work as very good primers and will probably be less cloggy/ irritating to you skin. A good one I used recently is the Pure Focus mattifying gel moisturiser by Lancome, and Dermalogica also used to do a nice mattifying gel.

Whatever the case, you basically need something that sinks straight in a dries to a completely matte finish- which is difficult to get with most classic moisturisers.

Or, as a last resort; you could apply your makeup just before you get to work/ college? I have sneaked into the toilets at work with a bare face a few times and covered up before getting to my desk. But to be fair, I'd have been mortified if anyone I knew spotted me with my naked face out.

On the bright side, my skin has actually pretty much cleared up now- just scarring/ redness left and I put the cure down to vitamin D3 supplements (might have already mentioned that but I'm a massive advocate and can't recommend vit D3 enough!)

Edited by Lily87, 15 April 2013 - 05:40 PM.

#25 lionheart88

lionheart88

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

Thanks for the tips. I have been moisturising and applying Rimmel primer the last few days but I've gone back to my bare minerals powder which seems to hold with the primer. My needs change depending on the acne and treatments. The liquid just doesn't seem to sit right on my skin, I need to trial and error it a bit more but I don't want to do that at work. Plus my face isn't as red now so needs less coverage, even tho I'm getting lots of cystic acne and my whole face hurts like hell - lovely! I'm glad your skin is clearing, I'm intrigued by the vitamin D- i have googled a bit but it says there's no link between them? Living in England we definitely don't get enough sun! I don't want to ask my GP as I think he already thinks I'm a hypercondriac lol and to get a high enough dose OTC I'd need to take about 5 tables a day!

#26 Lily87

Lily87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for the tips. I have been moisturising and applying Rimmel primer the last few days but I've gone back to my bare minerals powder which seems to hold with the primer. My needs change depending on the acne and treatments. The liquid just doesn't seem to sit right on my skin, I need to trial and error it a bit more but I don't want to do that at work. Plus my face isn't as red now so needs less coverage, even tho I'm getting lots of cystic acne and my whole face hurts like hell - lovely! I'm glad your skin is clearing, I'm intrigued by the vitamin D- i have googled a bit but it says there's no link between them? Living in England we definitely don't get enough sun! I don't want to ask my GP as I think he already thinks I'm a hypercondriac lol and to get a high enough dose OTC I'd need to take about 5 tables a day!

The cystic acne is so horrible! I used to get it loads on my jawline and cheeks, and just resting my head in my hands used to be painful. So depressing! :-(

As for the vit D, there aren't any proven links I don't think, but basically my acne is related to polycystic ovaries, and it's a common finding for people with PCOS to have vit D deficiency, and acne goes hand in hand with PCOS. I had started taking vit D on the recommendation of my endocrinologist and my acne cleared up. Then I stopped taking it and my acne came back- now I'm back on it and its going away! Plus vit D is a hormone, and considering acne is hormone related i am sure that's got to do with why Vit D helps a lot of people. Im guessing you dont have PCOS but whatever the cause of your acne, i know with most people it generally boils down to hormones one way or another. There are lots of posts on this site about vit D and how it has helped people- and some who it hasn't helped, but I'd definitely say its worth a shot for you to see if it helps. Vit d can only do you good!

I avoid my doctors too though for the same reason- I think they think half my problems are in my head! So I just put myself on double the daily dose and that has helped. You can get the tablets in health food shops.

I tried out a primer yesterday- Perfect Blur by Garnier. It's just been launched. It's their version of Nanoblur, and is designed to even out imperfections, wrinkles, pores etc etc. I don't have many open pores myself but I was thinking that it could be really good for filling them in. I put a review with a pic of the effects on my blog.

Have been told off for posting links to it on here, but i think the blog is still mentioned somewhere in previous posts!

Hopefully your skin will continue to settle down and you will get on better with that foundation.

I really do feel sorry for us acne sufferers! It's such a bloody effort! People with perfect skin just don't know how lucky they are!