Photo

Amazing High Street Foundation!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 Lily87

Lily87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

Hey,

I've just tested out the Healthy Mix range from Bourjois and have to say that it is the dogs nads! And it's so reasonably priced too!

Covers amazingly well and does not look or feel at all cakey.

*Moderator edit - URL removed - read the board rules*

So impressed with it.

#2 lionheart88

lionheart88

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for this, may have to try it out, I think I may need to swap to liquid foundation again, I've been using bare minerals but I'm finding it difficult to cover my acne without putting too much on and looking cakey! Do you think this covers well enough to hide lots of bright red bumpy spots without looking cakey? I am very pale skinned so the bright red acne is very difficult to cover up without applying way too much and all the liquid foundations I've tried don't cover at all. Thanks!

#3 Lily87

Lily87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:54 AM

Hi Lionheart, not sure if you had a look on my blog but I have another post on there which is a tutorial for covering acne and for that, I used my usual foundation which is Lancome's Teint Miracle. It's also really fab. You can see the different between the two foundations and how they covered.

I have very red skin too- which you can see quite clearly in my before photo, and I think that both foundations, the Lancôme and Healthy Mix covered it well. However, the Lancôme has a dewy finish and the Healthy Mix is more matte, so I'd say the Healthy Mix is better for bumpy areas. Sometimes with a dewy finish, where it contains some illumination it can highlight raised areas slightly.

So, I'd definitely say try the Healthy Mix and get the concealer too for the more obvious blemishes. I'd say it should cover your redness really well as it worked wonders for mine. Also get the powder as I found that set it really well and gave it a nice finish. It has a very fine consistency so didn't look cakey.

As for mineral foundation, as much as i love the idea of it, I've never been able to get the coverage I like, so I always stick to liquid.

Hope that's helpful but feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

P.s- I just added another sideways on photo to that blog post so that you can see more of the red areas and how it covered.

#4 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:53 AM

I had been thinking of trying this foundation but heard it was a light coverage foundation so I just left it! But I might rethink that now - thanks for posting!! I'm getting tired of using revlon colourstay, I don't love it and I'm nearly out of it so when I do run out I think I might do try this one :) Just hope I can find a good pale shade in both foundation and concealer...

Just wondering though - Have you used this bourjois foundation long? Has it broken you out at all or given you any skin trouble? 

(Also your blog is so cute! Love the little fishing hook/worm feature :P )

#5 Lily87

Lily87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

Hi Lilly75!

I haven't been using this foundation long to be honest, but so far, it hasn't broken me out. It seems to have a lot of natural products in it- and my skin seems to get on better with those. I have only ever reacted badly to MAC foundations, and in my opinion, they have a very industrial consistency about them.

I tend to go by the rule that if it smells like paint, its not good! On the other hand, the Lancome Teint Miracle foundation that I love, I have been using for 2 years and have never had a problem with it. I also keep that one in my professional kit and use it on brides, and they have never had any trouble with it either- most of them have actually converted to it. So, although I have recently fallen in love with this Bourjois foundation, I am still a massive advocate of the Teint Miracle. It gives really great coverage too without looking at all cakey.

As for the Bourjois Healthy Mix, I found it gave great coverage- but I did use all the products- foundation, concealer and the powder. And despite having all those products on, it hasn't yet caused me any problems (and generally i break out within hours).

If you have a look on YouTube and check out Lisa Eldridge's videos (if you've not heard of her, she's a british celebrity makeup artist) she often use the Bourjois Healthy Mix- she seems to think highly of it too. In one of her videos about her favourite high street products, she does mention that the Healthy Mix is great for paler shades.

I would definitely agree with her on that- they have a great variety of the lightest shades, with the same shades in concealer and powder to match.

Thank you- funny you should say about the fishing theme on my blog! I just changed it to lovebird theme and then read this- maybe I'll change it back! Ha! :-)

#6 lionheart88

lionheart88

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

Thanks Lily87! I read your blog - very helpful, I would like to try Lancome's Teint Miracle but it's quite expensive, I've already spent so much on make up, I'd hate to waste a lot on one product and find it doesn't work for me, I may try and get some samples. I think I'll definately try out the healthy mix range though. A problem I'm having at the moment is that I've recently started using moisturiser and I find that a few hours after I apply my make up it looks very patchy and blotchy, I think this must be the moisturiser as I never used to get it, do you think this is because I'm using a powder? I know I should probably leave it longer after applying moisturiser before my make up but I don't have enough time before work! Thank you :)

#7 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

Hi Lilly75!

I haven't been using this foundation long to be honest, but so far, it hasn't broken me out. It seems to have a lot of natural products in it- and my skin seems to get on better with those. I have only ever reacted badly to MAC foundations, and in my opinion, they have a very industrial consistency about them.

I tend to go by the rule that if it smells like paint, its not good! On the other hand, the Lancome Teint Miracle foundation that I love, I have been using for 2 years and have never had a problem with it. I also keep that one in my professional kit and use it on brides, and they have never had any trouble with it either- most of them have actually converted to it. So, although I have recently fallen in love with this Bourjois foundation, I am still a massive advocate of the Teint Miracle. It gives really great coverage too without looking at all cakey.

As for the Bourjois Healthy Mix, I found it gave great coverage- but I did use all the products- foundation, concealer and the powder. And despite having all those products on, it hasn't yet caused me any problems (and generally i break out within hours).

If you have a look on YouTube and check out Lisa Eldridge's videos (if you've not heard of her, she's a british celebrity makeup artist) she often use the Bourjois Healthy Mix- she seems to think highly of it too. In one of her videos about her favourite high street products, she does mention that the Healthy Mix is great for paler shades.

I would definitely agree with her on that- they have a great variety of the lightest shades, with the same shades in concealer and powder to match.

Thank you- funny you should say about the fishing theme on my blog! I just changed it to lovebird theme and then read this- maybe I'll change it back! Ha! whistling.gif)

Thanks for that :)

I have heard of Lisa Eldridge - I think I stumbled upon her videos a while ago when I was searching for pale foundation suggestions. I always dismissed bourjois though as I thought I couldn't get it in Australia - but turns out I can :) And that's good to hear it hasn't caused any skin troubles for you so far and that the powder/concealer shades are a match to the foundation. 

Also - a little off topic but thought I'd ask anyway - have you used Estee Lauder Double Wear? How do you think that compares to the Lancome Teint Miracle? Those were the other two foundations I've been thinking of trying soon.

Just checked the bird theme on your blog :P Both that one and the fishing one are very cute :) So either way it looks good

#8 Lily87

Lily87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

Lilly75- As for the Double Wear- I've only used it very infrequently on models from time to time, never on myself. But, I would say its not unlike the Revlon Colourstay to be honest. It does give brilliant coverage and really stays put well, so I'd say if you have oily skin and just scaring/ redness/pigmentation, it might be a good option for you, but on the other hand, if you have raised/ active spots, or any dry patches (I'm a terrible picker so as gross as it is I usually have the odd scabby blemish) then I'd say the Double Wear might not do you any favours.

It might be a good idea to go to a department store and ask them at the Estee counter to apply a full face on you, then just see how it lasts for the day and how your skin reacts.

Lionheart- you could always do the same with the Lancôme? Gives you a chance to properly test it then without the worry of wasting money if you don't like it.

And as for the Lancome Teint Miracle, I have never found anything that truly compares to that. It's best feature is that it's really buildable but just looks and feels like a second skin. You really don't know you're wearing it, no matter how much you apply. And because it has the dewy finish, it gives off a natural sort of glow that your own skin would if it was bare. It lasts so well too. The only downside is the price tag- which is why I think the Healthy Mix makes such a brilliant, but cheaper alternative.

Lionheart- your problem with the patchiness is probably down to one of two things:

1. It could be the fact that your moisturiser hasn't absorbed properly and your foundation is just sitting on top, rather than actually having "dried" on to your skin. In cases like this, applying powder can then cause the patchy separation, as the wet foundation sticks to the powder and disperses, because it hasn't properly settled on to your skin and anchored in place.
To avoid this, if you're in a rush, you could apply your moisturiser, then lightly pat over your face with a cotton pad or tissue. This will soak up any areas that haven't absorbed properly, but your skin would still have benefited from the moisturiser.
Or, if you are using a typical style moisturiser, you could swap to one with a gel texture- these types absorb and dry really quickly and they make a solid base for foundation.

2. If you have oily skin, it could be that oil secretion during the day is causing the above effect in the same way that too much moisturiser would do. If you think this might be likely then definitely swap to an oil free moisturiser aimed at oily skin types, or use a mattifying lotion before applying your foundation.

Also, excess product of any kind, whether its moisturiser, foundation or powder, always has that effect of causing patchiness. So, a good tip is once you have applied your makeup, take a dry tissue and very lightly dust it across your face. Any excess product will immediately stick to it and you will be left with good, even coverage on your face.

You can also do this with a clean powder brush- just sweep over the whole face, or pat over with a makeup sponge.

Anyway, hope that helps you both- Sorry for such a long reply!

I'd love to hear how you get on with Healthy Mix or any of the above- its always good to know what results others get!

And if you have any other questions feel free to ask!

#9 lionheart88

lionheart88

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

Thanks so much, this was really helpful! I think the patchiness was probably increased by wearing too much foundation to try and cover the spots (differin broke me out so much - I stopped it a week ago after 15 weeks and it's alot better now so I can use less foundation), I will blot my face in future to get rid of any excess moisturiser etc. I do have oily skin but it's not been so bad this past week as I've been using BP, so that could also be a factor. I'll try and get to a lancome counter and ask, I've never been keen on the full face thing as it means they have to touch my face (and therefore spots) and I'd be too embarrassed, I'll definately ask though. Thanks again! :)

#10 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:23 AM

The Healthy Mix foundation is on sale at my local pharmacy so I might go get it sometime in the next week - I'll at least go look at the shades available. No makeup is really reasonably priced in Australia so being able to save a few dollars when it's on sale is great :) It's normally $32 here and it's about $23 on sale...

#11 Lily87

Lily87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

Glad to have helped Lionheart! Hope you have some success with it if you try it! They may even give you a little as a tester in a pot to take away- worth asking- a lot of the counters do that.

Lilly75- I cannot believe the price of it in Australia. Although to be honest, I don't know what the exchange rate is but the foundation only costs about £10 here- not much! Maybe you'd be better ordering it online and having it delivered?! I wouldn't get on very well living in Australia- I already spend a bomb on makeup as it is!

#12 IDK111

IDK111

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

Thank you Lily87!

:)

I just might try it.

I am also intrigued by Lancome's Teint Miracle because you said many brides loved it and converted over to it.  hmmmm :)

#13 liyahandkmanmom

liyahandkmanmom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

Do any of you know where to find this in the states?

#14 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

Glad to have helped Lionheart! Hope you have some success with it if you try it! They may even give you a little as a tester in a pot to take away- worth asking- a lot of the counters do that.

Lilly75- I cannot believe the price of it in Australia. Although to be honest, I don't know what the exchange rate is but the foundation only costs about £10 here- not much! Maybe you'd be better ordering it online and having it delivered?! I wouldn't get on very well living in Australia- I already spend a bomb on makeup as it is!

Haha yep! The price of makeup is pretty annoying here (though I'm not sure of the exchange rate either). I'll keep in mind buying online - might do that after I go look at the shades

#15 Lily87

Lily87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

Thank you Lily87!
:)

I just might try it.

I am also intrigued by Lancome's Teint Miracle because you said many brides loved it and converted over to it.  hmmmm :)

Definitely give it a try! I have converted so many people to it! Another girl I work with bought it this week and she's really pleased with it too. I've never known anyone not to love it once they've used it. :-)

Lilly75- since you mentioned the Double Wear, I went in and got a sample today. I think I'm going to give it a trial and see what I think. I'll post a review on my blog in the next day or so with some pics. Although it failed my first test- it smells a bit like the revlon Colourstay and the MAC foundations! But I won't write it off just yet, it definitely gives good coverage so I'll see how it performs on my own spotty face!

Lionheart- just in case you are still feeling uncomfortable about going in and getting a full face of makeup to test in store, just ask them to check it against your jawline and give you a sample to take home. They did that for me and they gave me quite a decent sized pot which should last a good few days.

Do any of you know where to find this in the states?

I'm afraid I don't know about finding the Bourjois in the states, but I'd imagine they must do it somewhere. If not, definitely try online! They shades do come out surprisingly light looking but they seem to adapt well to skin tone once they are on. The shade I am wearing in my blog photo is Vanille.

#16 lionheart88

lionheart88

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

Thank you Lily87!
smile.png

I just might try it.

I am also intrigued by Lancome's Teint Miracle because you said many brides loved it and converted over to it.  hmmmm smile.png

Definitely give it a try! I have converted so many people to it! Another girl I work with bought it this week and she's really pleased with it too. I've never known anyone not to love it once they've used it. whistling.gif)

Lilly75- since you mentioned the Double Wear, I went in and got a sample today. I think I'm going to give it a trial and see what I think. I'll post a review on my blog in the next day or so with some pics. Although it failed my first test- it smells a bit like the revlon Colourstay and the MAC foundations! But I won't write it off just yet, it definitely gives good coverage so I'll see how it performs on my own spotty face!

Lionheart- just in case you are still feeling uncomfortable about going in and getting a full face of makeup to test in store, just ask them to check it against your jawline and give you a sample to take home. They did that for me and they gave me quite a decent sized pot which should last a good few days.

>Do any of you know where to find this in the states?

I'm afraid I don't know about finding the Bourjois in the states, but I'd imagine they must do it somewhere. If not, definitely try online! They shades do come out surprisingly light looking but they seem to adapt well to skin tone once they are on. The shade I am wearing in my blog photo is Vanille.

Ooh yes thanks I may do that, hopefully going shopping this weekend so I'll try. I have been leaving my moisturiser on longer and not using as much before applying make up and dabbing any excess off and it has helped a lot. The exchange rate is $1 to 69p, so $32 is £22 and £10 is $15, quite a big difference!

Also, I just had a quick google and you can order the healthy mix bourjois foundation from asos in the states, heres the link (i'm not sure if i'm allowed to post but if i'm not i'm sure someone will say lol)... http://us.asos.com/B...mporgp=L1Byb2Qv

#17 Lily87

Lily87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:25 AM

Thank you Lily87!
smile.png

I just might try it.

I am also intrigued by Lancome's Teint Miracle because you said many brides loved it and converted over to it.  hmmmm smile.png

Definitely give it a try! I have converted so many people to it! Another girl I work with bought it this week and she's really pleased with it too. I've never known anyone not to love it once they've used it. whistling.gif)

Ooh yes thanks I may do that, hopefully going shopping this weekend so I'll try. I have been leaving my moisturiser on longer and not using as much before applying make up and dabbing any excess off and it has helped a lot. The exchange rate is $1 to 69p, so $32 is £22 and £10 is $15, quite a big difference!

Also, I just had a quick google and you can order the healthy mix bourjois foundation from asos in the states, heres the link (i'm not sure if i'm allowed to post but if i'm not i'm sure someone will say lol)... http://us.asos.com/B...mporgp=L1Byb2Qv

Glad the blotting has helped you!

Can't believe that foundation is so expensive! Dread to think of the price of the Lancome! :-O

Just wanted to add, I've now tried out the Estée Lauder Double Wear and found it to be pretty awful!

I think if you have perfect skin and can afford to mix it up with your moisturiser for a light smattering; then it would probably be great. But, for the likes of us who are less lucky with skin, it is not ideal at all.

hard to blend- dries within seconds after applying
highlights dry areas
not buildable- just looks more cakey the more you apply

The only good thing I have to say for it, is that it's clearly a long wearing foundation. I don't think it will budge once on, but I haven't waited to find out. I've taken it straight off!

#18 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:36 AM

Can't believe that foundation is so expensive! Dread to think of the price of the Lancome! :-O

Just wanted to add, I've now tried out the Estée Lauder Double Wear and found it to be pretty awful!

I think if you have perfect skin and can afford to mix it up with your moisturiser for a light smattering; then it would probably be great. But, for the likes of us who are less lucky with skin, it is not ideal at all.

highlights dry areas

The only good thing I have to say for it, is that it's clearly a long wearing foundation. I don't think it will budge once on, but I haven't waited to find out. I've taken it straight off!

Thanks for sharing your first thoughts on double wear! :) When you said a few posts ago that you thought it seemed like Revlon Colourstay I immediately thought that I might look into the Lancome foundation you recommend instead... I've been using Colourstay for the last few months mainly just to use it up but I don't like it much. And from the things you've just said about it, it does sound similar to colourstay - and not like a very good foundation either...

So I think it will be Bourjois first for me and then Lancome (when I have the money haha)

Thanks again :)

#19 lionheart88

lionheart88

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

Thank you Lily87!
smile.png

I just might try it.

ockquote>I'm afraid I don't know about finding the Bourjois in the states, but I'd imagine they must do it somewhere. If not, definitely try online! They shades do come out surprisingly light looking but they seem to adapt well to skin tone once they are on. The shade I am wearing in my blog photo is Vanille.

highlights dry areas

So I bought the healthy mix foundation and concealer yesterday (they had sold out of the powder). I tried it today but I can't seem to get good coverage, I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, any tips would be appreciated. I normally moisturise first but today my skin didn't feel dry and I feel like moisturiser breaks me out more (using simple day cream, but I have tried loads) so I didn't put any on. I put the foundation on using a lancome foundation brush and then used some of the concealer and put some of my bare minerals powder on the top. Even when I use moisturiser my skin looks like this, I have large pores and I think the foundation sinks into them and looks really odd. In your tutorial it covered your red spots really well, but it isn't working for me - help!

After healthy mix foundation

Thanks in advance!

#20 Lily87

Lily87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

Thank you Lily87!
smile.png

I just might try it.

>Do any of you know where to find this in the states?ockquote>I'm afraid I don't know about finding the Bourjois in the states, but I'd imagine they must do it somewhere. If not, definitely try online! They shades do come out surprisingly light looking but they seem to adapt well to skin tone once they are on. The shade I am wearing in my blog photo is Vanille.

highlights dry areas

So I bought the healthy mix foundation and concealer yesterday (they had sold out of the powder). I tried it today but I can't seem to get good coverage, I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, any tips would be appreciated. I normally moisturise first but today my skin didn't feel dry and I feel like moisturiser breaks me out more (using simple day cream, but I have tried loads) so I didn't put any on. I put the foundation on using a lancome foundation brush and then used some of the concealer and put some of my bare minerals powder on the top. Even when I use moisturiser my skin looks like this, I have large pores and I think the foundation sinks into them and looks really odd. In your tutorial it covered your red spots really well, but it isn't working for me - help!

Thanks in advance!

Hi Lionheart,

Sorry to hear you're having some trouble with it! I'm still using it daily and getting great coverage, so I'm sure you should be able to get the same.

One main difference in the way you are applying it compared to me is that you are using a foundation brush. I've been applying with my fingers. I find some foundation brushes soak up a lot of the product and you sometimes tend to end up with more on the brush than on your face! So when I'm doing makeup on myself I always use my fingers.

Here are some steps to follow, so have a go at this and let me know how you get on! Fingers crossed for you!

1. If you have used moisturiser, make sure your skin has properly absorbed it and that there is no residue. Blot with a cotton pad/ tissue paper if there is. If you've decided not to use moisturiser, just make sure your face is completely dry and oil free before applying.

2. Apply a few pumps of the foundation to the back of your hand, then with your index finger, apply blobs to your cheeks, nose, chin and forehead, then start blending out over your whole face very lightly, using a combination of patting and light smearing with your fingertips.

3. If you need more coverage after the first application, then give it a minute or so before you apply more, so that the first application can dry a bit and anchor to your skin. It it hasn't been able to dry slightly; then you tend to end up just moving the foundation around your face when you apply more.

4. If you have the desired coverage from the foundation and need to conceal problem areas then apply your concealer in the same way- using fingers. With the concealer, I tend to smear a blob on my reddest areas, wait a minute or two until it has started drying/ becoming tacky and then i start lightly patting it to blend it in with the foundation.

4. Once you have the coverage you want, take a big, fluffy powder brush and lightly dust your powder over all areas to set the foundation. If you have any large pores, I always find buffing more powder over those areas gives a more even and smooth effect.

I really hope that will help you- the most important thing with powder is that it is of a fine consistency and that you have lightly applied it. Otherwise, if you brush too firmly your powder brush ends up taking your foundation away.

Also, just wanted to double check- you've definitely got the Healthy Mix Foundation and not the serum? They come in nearly identical packaging so I can imagine it would be easy to grab the wrong one!