Self Subcision

29 replies to this topic

#21 fleurverte

fleurverte

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

I really wouldnt recommend doing subsicion yourself. It MUST be done by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon... The improvement you might see is because of the swelling... It is better to have patience instead of risking your skin.

#22 Miko Yan

Miko Yan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:31 AM

ive been wondering that too, are thin needles really more safe/effective than thicker ones? because it appears that subcision done professionally is only performed with really thick needles (indeed around 18g). And the guy who got massive improvement (judging by his pictures) used plain sewing needles, which are considerably thicker than diabetic lancets.

i have to say i tried with the thinnest sewing needle i could find and it was very hard and painful to pierce the skin horizontally. i cant even imagine the pain with even thicker needles..

You should NOT use a sewing needle. They're not meant for this, so they're too blunt (hard to use + causes bigger wounds which can lead to scarring) and they're not sterile (could lead to infection --> worse scarring). You have to get sterile lancets or hypodermic needles if you try something like this at home, and you have to do lots of research beforehand and be very careful. No sewing needles.

Thanks for the advice, but it took you a while... huh.png

When both the face and the (stainless steel) needles are properly disinfected with alcohol there's little chance of something going wrong.

This guy used sewing needles and his skin is so better that he doesn't need to hang around here anymore.

Don't get me wrong, i don't think using sewing needles for any scar treatment is a good idea, but not because a risk of getting sepsis; a ridiculous claim someone made in another topic.

#23 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:54 AM

I know it took a while, but I thought it would be worth a post in case someone else with similar intentions would read this later.

And I know he used sewing needles. If you look at his pictures closely, you can see that he got lots of scarred pores or small icepicks where he used it. If you only have one rolling scar and otherwise great skin, it may not be a big deal, but if you try to subcise more extensive scarring allover your face, then getting tiny surface scars can look bad and you might regret it, especially if it could have been avoided by being more careful and using appropriate hypodermic needles (or better yet, going to a doctor that does subcision). Those surface scars are very hard to treat, so I wouldn't consider them a minor side effect.

#24 no_hope

no_hope

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

I know it took a while, but I thought it would be worth a post in case someone else with similar intentions would read this later.

And I know he used sewing needles. If you look at his pictures closely, you can see that he got lots of scarred pores or small icepicks where he used it. If you only have one rolling scar and otherwise great skin, it may not be a big deal, but if you try to subcise more extensive scarring allover your face, then getting tiny surface scars can look bad and you might regret it, especially if it could have been avoided by being more careful and using appropriate hypodermic needles (or better yet, going to a doctor that does subcision). Those surface scars are very hard to treat, so I wouldn't consider them a minor side effect.

i agreee. he could of gotten same result by getting regular subcision done. instead he traded his rollling scar for multiple ice picks. ice picks are very hard to treat

#25 rentstuff

rentstuff

hi. i like u in that way too

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:41 AM

I got some good results using the diabetic lancets when I did it years back. But I have a whooole lot more to do and I was just lazy/scared/ill and depressed that I didn't finish through. I felt so vain and dumb and stupid.

So wait are you guys saying the thinner the needle, the less effective it will be? I think I used a 31 gauge lancet (higher gauge = thinner needle), and it was so dirt cheap in any pharmacy and you can just toss it out once you're done.

So clean face, then needle then wait for an hour or so before you use neosporin, or do you apply neosporin right away?

#26 Nope.avi

Nope.avi

You wanna know how I got these scars?

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:20 PM

The thinness of the needle isn't really the factor when it comes to the quality of the results, it just needs to be strong enough to break the tethers on its horizontal sweep.

Seriously though don't do this yourself, hard nodules of collagen under your skin are no fun and they need to be excised (enjoy your new scar), and this is a cheap procedure anyway.

#27 blackfalcon

blackfalcon

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:12 PM

After tormented myself about getting Mixto laser treatment done by a dermatologist or doing subcision on myself with my own two hands, I opted for the latter. I would have wanted a professional dermatologist to do subcision but hardly anyone would do it, without it being bundled with some form of costly laser treatments that would cost me anywhere from $3K- $5K. 

What's crazy is that everyone who's had incredible results on this forum have done nothing more than subcision and maybe some suction treatment afterwards. Many who have done the laser treatment have not convinced me that the price is worth the results. My own suspicion is that most doctors know that subcision alone, when done right, can be just as if not more effective than laser, but opt not to offer it since it's not as lucrative as the laser treatment. It's a shame, but I realize that doctors have to make a living too.

So I did some self subcision on my nose and my cheeks, with a simple sewing needle. Using rubbing alcohol as a disinfectant, I pricked my skin and did the horizontal fanning motion. I heard some "popping" sounds sometimes and other times I didn't. 

Three days later, I'm seeing incredible results. This ice pick scar on my scar has gotten smaller. I would say 70% improvement. And my cheek scar 60% improvement. I'll be doing more next week on my small, shallow ice pic scars.

Self-subcision can work if done right. 

#28 blahblah82

blahblah82

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:40 AM

I think there's something to what you are saying.  I think lasers are an important tool in scar revision, but it's not appropriate in all cases. And in some cases, like you said, better results could be achieved with subcision alone, but the going rate is well below $1K in most areas.  That's simply not enough profit for doctors who spend upwards of $100K on top of the line lasers.    If you have scarring with volume loss, multiple subcisions and maybe finessed with some fillers is the way to go.

#29 missamua

missamua

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:08 AM

Not that I condone self subcision, but since you have already done it yourself, you'd get better results if you combined suction to those scars to prevent them for re-tethering. Since it's been a few days now would be a good time to suction.

Just curious, how bad did this hurt doing it yourself?

After tormented myself about getting Mixto laser treatment done by a dermatologist or doing subcision on myself with my own two hands, I opted for the latter. I would have wanted a professional dermatologist to do subcision but hardly anyone would do it, without it being bundled with some form of costly laser treatments that would cost me anywhere from $3K- $5K. 

What's crazy is that everyone who's had incredible results on this forum have done nothing more than subcision and maybe some suction treatment afterwards. Many who have done the laser treatment have not convinced me that the price is worth the results. My own suspicion is that most doctors know that subcision alone, when done right, can be just as if not more effective than laser, but opt not to offer it since it's not as lucrative as the laser treatment. It's a shame, but I realize that doctors have to make a living too.

So I did some self subcision on my nose and my cheeks, with a simple sewing needle. Using rubbing alcohol as a disinfectant, I pricked my skin and did the horizontal fanning motion. I heard some "popping" sounds sometimes and other times I didn't. 

Three days later, I'm seeing incredible results. This ice pick scar on my scar has gotten smaller. I would say 70% improvement. And my cheek scar 60% improvement. I'll be doing more next week on my small, shallow ice pic scars.

Edited by missamua, 19 November 2014 - 02:09 AM.

#30 blackfalcon

blackfalcon

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:33 PM

Not that I condone self subcision, but since you have already done it yourself, you'd get better results if you combined suction to those scars to prevent them for re-tethering. Since it's been a few days now would be a good time to suction.

Just curious, how bad did this hurt doing it yourself?

Yeah, I suctioned two days after the subcision. 

The initial pain was more psychological than physical. This is partly because you have no idea what you're embarking on. The idea of pricking yourself with anything sharp usually makes anyone uneasy, including me. The biggest fear I had going in was hitting a nerve or a vein. So the very first one "hurt" the most, because you're all tense and feeling anything that might hurt. But after the third one, I noticed that it really didn't hurt that much. Now, at times, you might prick a very sensitive spot. It you do, just pull it out and try it from another angle. That's all. 

I personally believe that if you have the patience for it, most scars, including ice picks scars, which doctorrs say can't be improved with subcision, can all be done with subcision. I think that most dermatologists don't have the patience to pick at a tiny micron of a scar for half an hour and get paid much less than if they took a laser machine and zapped the entire face with it in less than an hour. 

Since I do it myself, I can work on one scar at a time every week, here and there, until I get them all. Plus, I do derma needling, which gets my skin very tight. Basically the best laser treatment out there, which from what I can gather is the Mixto Co2, simply does what derma needling does, which is to penetrate the skin so that it can create new collogen. The peeling of the skin layer I think does very little in the long run if you have indentations caused by tether. Only subcision can get rid of those indentations and usually subcision is packaged with laser treatments, so that the laser treatment is marketed as the primary treatment and the subcision as the secondary treatment. However, I think they market it that way so that they can charge you more and it's something that's out of the patient's reach. We can't go out and buy a $40,000 machine. But we sure can do the subcision ourselves. If people found out that subcision is really the primary treatment, they would ask the doctor to do that and pass on the laser treatment. My two cents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users