Self Subcision

31 posts in this topic

The thinness of the needle isn't really the factor when it comes to the quality of the results, it just needs to be strong enough to break the tethers on its horizontal sweep.

Seriously though don't do this yourself, hard nodules of collagen under your skin are no fun and they need to be excised (enjoy your new scar), and this is a cheap procedure anyway.

1 person likes this

Desperately trying to turn the state of the Scar Forum around. But I'm just one person.

Occasionally I'll tell you to go to Owndoc.com. There is no affiliation, there is just simply too much misinformation about needling on this board (and internet in general)

Peer review or get the f*ck out! No folk remedies please.

After tormented myself about getting Mixto laser treatment done by a dermatologist or doing subcision on myself with my own two hands, I opted for the latter. I would have wanted a professional dermatologist to do subcision but hardly anyone would do it, without it being bundled with some form of costly laser treatments that would cost me anywhere from $3K- $5K.

What's crazy is that everyone who's had incredible results on this forum have done nothing more than subcision and maybe some suction treatment afterwards. Many who have done the laser treatment have not convinced me that the price is worth the results. My own suspicion is that most doctors know that subcision alone, when done right, can be just as if not more effective than laser, but opt not to offer it since it's not as lucrative as the laser treatment. It's a shame, but I realize that doctors have to make a living too.

So I did some self subcision on my nose and my cheeks, with a simple sewing needle. Using rubbing alcohol as a disinfectant, I pricked my skin and did the horizontal fanning motion. I heard some "popping" sounds sometimes and other times I didn't.

Three days later, I'm seeing incredible results. This ice pick scar on my scar has gotten smaller. I would say 70% improvement. And my cheek scar 60% improvement. I'll be doing more next week on my small, shallow ice pic scars.

Self-subcision can work if done right.

I think there's something to what you are saying. I think lasers are an important tool in scar revision, but it's not appropriate in all cases. And in some cases, like you said, better results could be achieved with subcision alone, but the going rate is well below $1K in most areas. That's simply not enough profit for doctors who spend upwards of $100K on top of the line lasers. If you have scarring with volume loss, multiple subcisions and maybe finessed with some fillers is the way to go.

Not that I condone self subcision, but since you have already done it yourself, you'd get better results if you combined suction to those scars to prevent them for re-tethering. Since it's been a few days now would be a good time to suction.

Just curious, how bad did this hurt doing it yourself?

After tormented myself about getting Mixto laser treatment done by a dermatologist or doing subcision on myself with my own two hands, I opted for the latter. I would have wanted a professional dermatologist to do subcision but hardly anyone would do it, without it being bundled with some form of costly laser treatments that would cost me anywhere from $3K- $5K.

What's crazy is that everyone who's had incredible results on this forum have done nothing more than subcision and maybe some suction treatment afterwards. Many who have done the laser treatment have not convinced me that the price is worth the results. My own suspicion is that most doctors know that subcision alone, when done right, can be just as if not more effective than laser, but opt not to offer it since it's not as lucrative as the laser treatment. It's a shame, but I realize that doctors have to make a living too.

So I did some self subcision on my nose and my cheeks, with a simple sewing needle. Using rubbing alcohol as a disinfectant, I pricked my skin and did the horizontal fanning motion. I heard some "popping" sounds sometimes and other times I didn't.

Three days later, I'm seeing incredible results. This ice pick scar on my scar has gotten smaller. I would say 70% improvement. And my cheek scar 60% improvement. I'll be doing more next week on my small, shallow ice pic scars.

Edited by missamua

Not that I condone self subcision, but since you have already done it yourself, you'd get better results if you combined suction to those scars to prevent them for re-tethering. Since it's been a few days now would be a good time to suction.

Just curious, how bad did this hurt doing it yourself?

Yeah, I suctioned two days after the subcision.

The initial pain was more psychological than physical. This is partly because you have no idea what you're embarking on. The idea of pricking yourself with anything sharp usually makes anyone uneasy, including me. The biggest fear I had going in was hitting a nerve or a vein. So the very first one "hurt" the most, because you're all tense and feeling anything that might hurt. But after the third one, I noticed that it really didn't hurt that much. Now, at times, you might prick a very sensitive spot. It you do, just pull it out and try it from another angle. That's all.

I personally believe that if you have the patience for it, most scars, including ice picks scars, which doctorrs say can't be improved with subcision, can all be done with subcision. I think that most dermatologists don't have the patience to pick at a tiny micron of a scar for half an hour and get paid much less than if they took a laser machine and zapped the entire face with it in less than an hour.

Since I do it myself, I can work on one scar at a time every week, here and there, until I get them all. Plus, I do derma needling, which gets my skin very tight. Basically the best laser treatment out there, which from what I can gather is the Mixto Co2, simply does what derma needling does, which is to penetrate the skin so that it can create new collogen. The peeling of the skin layer I think does very little in the long run if you have indentations caused by tether. Only subcision can get rid of those indentations and usually subcision is packaged with laser treatments, so that the laser treatment is marketed as the primary treatment and the subcision as the secondary treatment. However, I think they market it that way so that they can charge you more and it's something that's out of the patient's reach. We can't go out and buy a $40,000 machine. But we sure can do the subcision ourselves. If people found out that subcision is really the primary treatment, they would ask the doctor to do that and pass on the laser treatment. My two cents.

hello there......i have been trying to find a derm in boise , idaho that does subcision. but as far as searching online i couldn't find any. Can anyone help me by recommending a derm in boise, idaho that does subcision for acne scars? i would be grateful.