Photo

Help Please.. Is Silk Coconut Milk Breaking Me Out?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 ShooShooACNE

ShooShooACNE

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:21 AM

Ingredients:

filtered water, coconut cream), evaporated cane juice, calcium carbonate, natural flavor, dipotassium phosphate, xanthan gum, carrageenan, guar gum, cyanocolablamin (vit b12), vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2

My skin was doing good until I started drinking this, and out of no where I get a big break out on my left cheek.

#2 Quetzlcoatl

Quetzlcoatl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:55 AM

People are sensitive to different things. Do you break out when you eat anything coconut? Because the rest of the ingredients seem harmless.

#3 Ben Lee

Ben Lee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:48 AM

Yes I was wondering if you can tolerate coconut (I can not....  I can for some reason use coconut flour, but I don't actually eat coconut or drink coconut milk...   I might use it for cooking but don't use it straight up).

I also never liked SILK brand... 

evaoporated cane juice is basically like sugar..  not that great for you.

calcium carbonate...  shouldn't have a problem, i don't think?

natural flavor... some people can have problems with this because... well, what exactly is natural flavor?  and more than likely, it is processed/refined/not natural "flavor". 

dipotassium phosphate ... this is usually to add flavor, I'm pretty sure.  But some people have problems with it.

xanthan gum, carrageenan, guar gum .... not that great.

vitamin D2...   people's bodies utilize D3 better than D2.

So overall,....  I think the coconut milk you are drinking is very,... ermm... processed?   There are better brands out there for coconut milk if you would like to try them.  Or maybe then again, you could just be intolerant to coconut, and not the actual ingredients in this brand.  The ingredients overall are not like.. "wow these are going to eff up your system", but they are not the best either. 

#4 ShooShooACNE

ShooShooACNE

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

Yes I was wondering if you can tolerate coconut (I can not....  I can for some reason use coconut flour, but I don't actually eat coconut or drink coconut milk...   I might use it for cooking but don't use it straight up).

I also never liked SILK brand... 

evaoporated cane juice is basically like sugar..  not that great for you.

calcium carbonate...  shouldn't have a problem, i don't think?

natural flavor... some people can have problems with this because... well, what exactly is natural flavor?  and more than likely, it is processed/refined/not natural "flavor". 

dipotassium phosphate ... this is usually to add flavor, I'm pretty sure.  But some people have problems with it.

xanthan gum, carrageenan, guar gum .... not that great.

vitamin D2...   people's bodies utilize D3 better than D2.

So overall,....  I think the coconut milk you are drinking is very,... ermm... processed?   There are better brands out there for coconut milk if you would like to try them.  Or maybe then again, you could just be intolerant to coconut, and not the actual ingredients in this brand.  The ingredients overall are not like.. "wow these are going to eff up your system", but they are not the best either. 

I can tolerate coconut so  it might be the sugar that caused the break out. What other brands do you recommend? I'm currently using So Delicious organic unsweetened coconut milk.. the ingredients: ORGANIC COCONUT MILK (ORGANIC COCONUT CREAM, WATER, GUAR GUM), CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, CARRAGEENAN, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D-2, L-SELENOMETHIONINE (SELENIUM), ZINC OXIDE, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B-12.

#5 Ben Lee

Ben Lee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

I think SO DELICIOUS brand is better than SILK.

:)

I'm not sure what kinda brands you have at your grocery store, but most of the best ones I have found were online.  But then again, I have not checked the grocery store for coconut milk in a while because I don't really drink it. 

But I did like the one by Native Forest I think?  And Thai Kitchen Organic was a good brand. Other than that... I don't really know because I don't drink it. lol  I'm sure people online have posted some of their faves.

You just want to look for something that only has under 4 ingredients with coconut milk.  But this so delicious brand that you bought... it seems like it will do.  But if i am wrong and it breaks you out, you might have to go for the extremely pure version of coconut milk.

=)

Good luck!

#6 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

The carageenan in it gives me the runs and terrible gas. 

#7 Quetzlcoatl

Quetzlcoatl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

Ooh yeah carrageenan = seaweed basically, do you have problems with seaweed?

#8 ShooShooACNE

ShooShooACNE

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

The carageenan in it gives me the runs and terrible gas. 

Wow I wonder if that's what has been giving me the runs...