Photo

Day 1 And My Face Is Bright Red?!?!? Dont Know If This Is Normal...

redness thick benzoyl peroxide acne starting the regimen day 1 oily skin stubborn acne

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 rickstascale

rickstascale

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

Hey guys,

So i'm new to this so here we go: I started using the regimen last night :) I bought Galdermas 2.5% benzoyl peroxide, along with QV's Gentle Cleanser (non comedogenic) and also Neutrogenas moisturiser for sensitive skin (also non comedgonenic).

I applied only about the size of 1.5 peas to my whole face (small amount) and then moisturized ALOT. this morning i woke up to a bright red mess of a face. I dont know whether im ALLERGIC to it, or whether it jus needs time adjusting. It's quite red. My face feels 'thick' and HOT, similarly when i get a bad sunburn.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Should i stick to it? and keep going with the BP even though my face is red? OR, should i stop and wait for the redness to subside and then start again? OR, should i jus stop?

I'm really sensitive to the way i look, so im so embarassed to go outside and face my friends...

HAS ANYONE HAD REDNESS LIKE THIS BEFORE?!?!? PLEASE TELL ME. I feel so alone. Everyone seems to have dryness and flaking, but i have inflamed redness...

#2 Karmelita

Karmelita

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:03 AM

Omg! I'm glad I'm not the only one. You're not alone. I used it yesterday night before going to bed and around 4am I woke up because I had unbearable itching in my neck apparently the cream from my jawline got there? somehow. Anyways by 6am I decided it was time to take it off I couldn't bare the itchiness and when I saw myself in the mirror :o my face was bright red, inflamed, and hot. I washed myself with the Cleanser and after I used the moisturizer. It certainly subsided the itchiness and felt really cool. I'll keep you posted as to what happens today, if the redness goes away :) 

Like you, I came here for answers and I had read in the FAQ that it does cause some redness and itchiness, however, I don't know how bad, although I do have sensitive skin. And as to your question, I say we stick to it but this time we should use less BP because we may have used a little too much and we need to start the process slow.

#3 nicmic62

nicmic62

Sneaker Fanatic

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:29 AM

Hey guys,

So i'm new to this so here we go: I started using the regimen last night smile.png I bought Galdermas 2.5% benzoyl peroxide, along with QV's Gentle Cleanser (non comedogenic) and also Neutrogenas moisturiser for sensitive skin (also non comedgonenic).

I applied only about the size of 1.5 peas to my whole face (small amount) and then moisturized ALOT. this morning i woke up to a bright red mess of a face. I dont know whether im ALLERGIC to it, or whether it jus needs time adjusting. It's quite red. My face feels 'thick' and HOT, similarly when i get a bad sunburn.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Should i stick to it? and keep going with the BP even though my face is red? OR, should i stop and wait for the redness to subside and then start again? OR, should i jus stop?

I'm really sensitive to the way i look, so im so embarassed to go outside and face my friends...

HAS ANYONE HAD REDNESS LIKE THIS BEFORE?!?!? PLEASE TELL ME. I feel so alone. Everyone seems to have dryness and flaking, but i have inflamed redness...

Stick to it! It is perfectly normal to have the red, flakey and itchy skin. Start slow with the BP and build up to the full amount that Dan prescribed. Keep in mind that your skin is still getting used to the routine so there will be times that your skin will feel like it is going through the worst thing ever, but just keep going.  :)

#4 Phoenix Fireless

Phoenix Fireless

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

first: I've had many many days where my face was just crazy red but...

try to half the dose, sure you should be a bit more red than normal but not on day 1 tbh...more like week 2/3 when you double the dose and apply about 3/4 peas

dryness, flaking, ichyness you should be feeling a lot more day 1

Edited by Phoenix Fireless, 23 March 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#5 Karmelita

Karmelita

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

first: I've had many many days where my face was just crazy red but...

try to half the dose, sure you should be a bit more red than normal but not on day 1 tbh...more like week 2/3 when you double the dose and apply about 3/4 peas

dryness, flaking, ichyness you should be feeling a lot more day 1

Perhaps I did use a bit too much, and might have to ease on the BP but then again I do have sensitive skin. This morning I had to wash my neckline with water and soap to stop the itching. By about noon the redness and itching stopped. I will use less BP tonight and see what happens.

#6 Karmelita

Karmelita

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

Hey guys,

So i'm new to this so here we go: I started using the regimen last night smile.png I bought Galdermas 2.5% benzoyl peroxide, along with QV's Gentle Cleanser (non comedogenic) and also Neutrogenas moisturiser for sensitive skin (also non comedgonenic).

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Ok so yesterday night I washed my face as instructed and applied very very little BP enough to just cover the most important areas and I this morning I woke up with a normal face :D no redness, no itchiness just right! So rickstascale I suggest you continue and use less BP. :) I'm sure you won't regret it

#7 TreatAcne

TreatAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 49
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

Sorry to say that that is most definitely to be expected. I used very little BP myself at the beginning and two days later was as red as a strawberry and shedding like a scaly snake. It's ok to be freaked out. Try not to yawn so much and don't touch the redness of your skin. It will come and go like a flickering lightbulb. Bear with it for up to three months and the side effects will likely cease and desist.

#8 kickingacne

kickingacne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

I'm a few years into the regimen and I still get redder skin due to it being very sensitive. I only do the regimen at night also as my face would never be able to take it twice a day!! It has sorted out my acne, my face is a little redder, but I prefer that to the acne I used to have covering my face!! I suppose everyones face is different but sometimes mine still tingles, I resist touching it and just think if it's tingling it must be working :) 

#9 celery

celery

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

This happened to me when I first started the Regimen, it's not supposed to happen. You're using too much BP! I had to restart the whole process at one point, it was awful. The first few days, you literally put so little that you barely have enough to cover your whole face. BP really affects your skin, and it'll get worse before it gets better. Don't put a little more until after a few days that you've had that dosage. You'll be thankful when your skin starts flaking and drying up to the point that you can't smile

#10 Ghiggz

Ghiggz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

Sorry to say that that is most definitely to be expected. I used very little BP myself at the beginning and two days later was as red as a strawberry and shedding like a scaly snake. It's ok to be freaked out. Try not to yawn so much and don't touch the redness of your skin. It will come and go like a flickering lightbulb. Bear with it for up to three months and the side effects will likely cease and desist.

Why should yawning be avoided? 

#11 TreatAcne

TreatAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:20 PM

Let me rephrase that a little bit better. Most of the time the most painfully dry skin we endure appears around our eyes and mouth. Since the skin is so terribly sensitive and thin there, it flakes and flares more painfully to the BP. The worst kind of splitting skin I had where small cuts painfully appeared was when I yawned. I then had to practice clenching my jaw a bit better so that I didn't have to squeeze or stretch the skin on my face so much. 

#12 Ghiggz

Ghiggz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

Let me rephrase that a little bit better. Most of the time the most painfully dry skin we endure appears around our eyes and mouth. Since the skin is so terribly sensitive and thin there, it flakes and flares more painfully to the BP. The worst kind of splitting skin I had where small cuts painfully appeared was when I yawned. I then had to practice clenching my jaw a bit better so that I didn't have to squeeze or stretch the skin on my face so much. 

p

Hmmm, interesting. I've been on Dan's Regimen for about 2 weeks now, but I've been using benzoyl peroxide for over a year already. I'm starting to notice some pretty deep wrinkles forming where my laugh lines are in between my mouth and my nose and they're really starting to worry me. Plus, I've been moisturizing like crazy with Dan's moisturizer, and while it does help a lot with the flakiness, my skin still feels taught and dehydrated. 

I'm starting to think Dan's moisturizer might not be moisturizing enough for me, if that makes any sense. Do you have any suggestions? 

#13 Karmelita

Karmelita

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

p

Hmmm, interesting. I've been on Dan's Regimen for about 2 weeks now, but I've been using benzoyl peroxide for over a year already. I'm starting to notice some pretty deep wrinkles forming where my laugh lines are in between my mouth and my nose and they're really starting to worry me. Plus, I've been moisturizing like crazy with Dan's moisturizer, and while it does help a lot with the flakiness, my skin still feels taught and dehydrated. 

I'm starting to think Dan's moisturizer might not be moisturizing enough for me, if that makes any sense. Do you have any suggestions? 

Perhaps you should try Jojoba Oil? It's supposed to be like our skin oil.

#14 Kris1787

Kris1787

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

USE JOJOBA OIL! I luckily already had jojoba oil before I started the regimen so I didn't need to buy Dan's. My face was already dry to begin with, and one day I decided to not use Dan's moisturizer and jojoba oil (because it just wasn't cutting it) and just use cetaphil cream alone. Boy was that a big mistake! My face felt so bright red and hot, it also looked like I had sunburn in the middle of winter. The next day I went back on jojoba oil and I haven't had that problem since. My face does look a tiny bit red, but it actually looks like a tan now and not a sunburn.

#15 TreatAcne

TreatAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

p

I had the same tightness and lining too. Even now, a year after quitting, a VERY faint redness with VERY small lines remain around my eyes that were most certainly not there before, but I only notice it because it's me. It almost makes me look as though my skin is still healing from the tightness that the BP treatment caused. The moisturizing wasn't strong enough for me either, but I only bought Dan's 2.5 BP, I used other moisturizers I had.

Yes, I bought the jojoba oil as well and mixed it into my lotion, but the effect it had on me wasn't strong enough to help my acne but certainly stopped my skin from flaking so much. Just as Karmelita said, Jojoba oil 'mimicks' our skin. You can also get almond oil, grape seed oil, etc... and other non-pore clogging massage oil off the internet. I bought mine on amazon.com... I used the brand called "NOW".... here's a link: http://www.amazon.co...=NOW jojoba oil . The 16 oz bottles are twice as bid as what Dan offers I think, and you can use them anywhere on your body. Read as many reviews as you can, you'll be surprised how many people mention acne.

Edited by TreatAcne, 31 March 2013 - 08:11 AM.