pcos vitex agnus castus chasteberry hormones saw palmetto hirsutism

70 replies to this topic

#61 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

I obviously don't know nearly as much as you about hormones, but I think managing insulin levels is the best route for PCOS gals like us. Ever consider metformin? I am. I took it before with spiro and it did help a bit.

#62 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:55 PM

I obviously don't know nearly as much as you about hormones, but I think managing insulin levels is the best route for PCOS gals like us. Ever consider metformin? I am. I took it before with spiro and it did help a bit.

Metformin has too many side effects and also if it messes with blood pressure like other drugs I can't take it bc my blood pressure is low. The dr. did recommend it initially, but then I found out that inositol is basically the supplement equivalent to metformin. There is even a study comparing the 2 that found inositol to be just as effective. So I'd rather stick with what works at this point. I started chiro-inositol 2 days ago to strengthen the dose and I'll update on how that goes. My insulin was always in the normal range, but of course that doesn't mean much. 

Interesting study about insulin and inositol: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23467955

Edited by WishClean, 03 December 2013 - 10:27 PM.

#63 emloo

emloo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:14 AM

Hey guys, I really felt the need to help and tell you what is working for me.

I had really bad acne when I came of diannette bc pill. I had to come of it as I got a dvt in my leg!!!! So can't go back on it. I must of has a bad reaction or something?

Currently I use Agnus Castus liquid in the morning with some water. Then wash my face with witch hazel face wash then apply a small amount of extra virgin olive oil. I know it sounds nuts but it totally works. My skin has never looked this good. I repeat this in the evening too.

I work in the beauty cosmetics industry so I know quite a lot about skin ect. I think alot of people can be allergic to face creams ect more so if you have food allergy's.

I have a dairy allergy so I just avoid it now. Even though I love to eat cheese milk ice cream. I just can't it totally breaks me out. After all why should we be drinking the milk of another animal as adults its a bit nuts if you ask me. I now eat very healthy kind of follow the low GI now. Sugar/Wheat and as I say dairy make my skin go mad.  I have tryed soooooo many different things and this is by far the best thing that works for me. Hope this helps. Before when my skin used to get bad a mask made up from crushed up magnesium tablets on my face did help. But I know longer need to do this. I really hope this helps someone.

#64 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:00 PM

Hey guys, I really felt the need to help and tell you what is working for me.

I had really bad acne when I came of diannette bc pill. I had to come of it as I got a dvt in my leg!!!! So can't go back on it. I must of has a bad reaction or something?

Currently I use Agnus Castus liquid in the morning with some water. Then wash my face with witch hazel face wash then apply a small amount of extra virgin olive oil. I know it sounds nuts but it totally works. My skin has never looked this good. I repeat this in the evening too.

I work in the beauty cosmetics industry so I know quite a lot about skin ect. I think alot of people can be allergic to face creams ect more so if you have food allergy's.

I have a dairy allergy so I just avoid it now. Even though I love to eat cheese milk ice cream. I just can't it totally breaks me out. After all why should we be drinking the milk of another animal as adults its a bit nuts if you ask me. I now eat very healthy kind of follow the low GI now. Sugar/Wheat and as I say dairy make my skin go mad.  I have tryed soooooo many different things and this is by far the best thing that works for me. Hope this helps. Before when my skin used to get bad a mask made up from crushed up magnesium tablets on my face did help. But I know longer need to do this. I really hope this helps someone.

It's probably the agnus castus that's helping you internally....and maybe witch hazel a little bit topically. 

I wish I could still take agnus castus/vitex...I seem to have developed an intolerance for it, or maybe it's because my digestion is generally bad and it's now too much for me.

#65 wannabhealthy

wannabhealthy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:51 AM

Hi WishClean, Green Gables, jlcampi,

Thank you very much for this very helpful thread. Please help me if any one understands the lab results or guide me what should i start with.

I am also suffering from hormonal imbalance, hirsutism, acne, fatigue, aggression, PMS, mood swings, brest pain after ovulation, headaches (sometimes). 

I have autoimmune hypothyroidism currently on 100μg levothyrox.

My recent lab results are :

TSH                                       2.68 mUI/L

FSH                                       6.8 UI/L

LH                                          6.6 UI/L

Estradiol                                30 ng/L (110.4 pmol/L)

17-OH progesterone             0.490 ng/mL (1.48 nmol/L)

Delta 4-androstenedione       2.32 ng/mL  (8.10 nmol/L)

Testosterone                         0.630 ng/mL (2.19 nmol/L)

Sulfate of DHEA                     1450 ng/mL (3.94 μmol/L)

Cortisol                                  12.0 μg/dl (332 nmol/L)

These were taken on 28th of May and my menstrual cycle started on 25th of May night.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome please.

Thanks in advance.

#66 Lady_C

Lady_C

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:01 PM

I was taking saw palmetto with success up until April this year when my skin suddenly broke out. Maybe I've become intolerant to it? Anyway I've been looking into trying vitex as an alternative, can vitex be taken during menstruation? I'm seeing conflicting information, can anyone shed some light on this?

#67 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:31 AM

I was taking saw palmetto with success up until April this year when my skin suddenly broke out. Maybe I've become intolerant to it? Anyway I've been looking into trying vitex as an alternative, can vitex be taken during menstruation? I'm seeing conflicting information, can anyone shed some light on this?

Maybe you need to adjust your dose of saw palmetto? Or, if it was just one breakout then maybe it was just a one-off, so you could just keep doing what you are doing, and if another breakout happens then consider other options or a different dose. 

There is conflicting information about taking vitex during menstruation. I personally took the same dose all month long, but now I wonder if tweaking it according to my cycle would have been better. I'm not sure, but my naturopath said to take the same dose every day.

#68 Lady_C

Lady_C

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:19 AM

Maybe you need to adjust your dose of saw palmetto? Or, if it was just one breakout then maybe it was just a one-off, so you could just keep doing what you are doing, and if another breakout happens then consider other options or a different dose. 

There is conflicting information about taking vitex during menstruation. I personally took the same dose all month long, but now I wonder if tweaking it according to my cycle would have been better. I'm not sure, but my naturopath said to take the same dose every day.

Well my face broke out terribly around the end of March. My diet is relatively healthy and I can't recall doing anything different. I tried tweeking the saw palmetto by increasing the dose, but still kept breaking out.

Nothing seems to be helping which is frustrating and my self-esteem is much lower now. I had a really bad flare up around my menstrual cycle last week, so I know my acne is hormonal. I came off the saw palmetto in may and started 500mg of vitex two days ago. I like to take herbs for a long period of time rather than hop from product to product, I'll see how I get on with the vitex.

thanks for your input.

#69 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:48 PM

Well my face broke out terribly around the end of March. My diet is relatively healthy and I can't recall doing anything different. I tried tweeking the saw palmetto by increasing the dose, but still kept breaking out.

Nothing seems to be helping which is frustrating and my self-esteem is much lower now. I had a really bad flare up around my menstrual cycle last week, so I know my acne is hormonal. I came off the saw palmetto in may and started 500mg of vitex two days ago. I like to take herbs for a long period of time rather than hop from product to product, I'll see how I get on with the vitex.

thanks for your input.

Sorry to hear that you broke out again. Saw palmetto only worked for me very briefly, so maybe it wears off for acne after a while. Have you tried DIM or inositol? 

#70 Lady_C

Lady_C

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:18 AM

thanks for your input.

Sorry to hear that you broke out again. Saw palmetto only worked for me very briefly, so maybe it wears off for acne after a while. Have you tried DIM or inositol? 

Oh that's ironic, we both became immune to saw palmetto? Well it was good while it lasted. I'm abit hesitant about trying DIM I read mixed reviews about it so I wasn't so sure if it would exasperate my acne. I haven't tried inositol there doesn't seem to be much information about people experiences with it in relation to acne. I saw a few things about its benefits on a PCOS message board but I don't have PCOS. My period is regular, yet I still get the typical pms symptoms bloating, craving, acne before and during my menses.

Right now I have acne below my jawline and on my forehead. I started to develop forehead acne last month which is bizarre because I seldom get acne on my forehead it's mild but won't shift. Perhaps I need to review my diet again....

Can inositol and vitex be taken at the same time?

#71 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

thanks for your input.

Oh that's ironic, we both became immune to saw palmetto? Well it was good while it lasted. I'm abit hesitant about trying DIM I read mixed reviews about it so I wasn't so sure if it would exasperate my acne. I haven't tried inositol there doesn't seem to be much information about people experiences with it in relation to acne. I saw a few things about its benefits on a PCOS message board but I don't have PCOS. My period is regular, yet I still get the typical pms symptoms bloating, craving, acne before and during my menses.

Right now I have acne below my jawline and on my forehead. I started to develop forehead acne last month which is bizarre because I seldom get acne on my forehead it's mild but won't shift. Perhaps I need to review my diet again....

Can inositol and vitex be taken at the same time?

I believe they can be taken at the same time....just in case, take them hours apart. Vitex usually only interacts with medications and other herbs, not vitamin supps like inositol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users