To "caveman" Or Not?

1 reply to this topic

#1 russc56

russc56

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

I am a college-aged female with light/moderate acne--blackheads in the chin and T-zone area and the occasional 3 or 4 red pimples around that time of month that linger for weeks. And I am sick of emptying my wallet on every expensive skincare product on the market! I have tried just about every cleanser, moisturizer, and serum that money can buy and still find myself searching for something more. I threw out the expensive chemical-filled products to opt for the more natural Aveeno cleansers (although I am sure they still strip my skin) and have quit covering up with foundation and expensive creams.

I am considering going "caveman".

I eat a healthy, balanced diet and am an NCAA athlete with plenty of exercise and healthy lifestyle habits. I am currently using Aveeno Ultra Calming or Clear Complexion cleanser on my face twice a day. In addition, I supplement my diet with a multivitamin, Omega 3-6-9, and 50mg Zinc supplements. I apply Aveeno or Vitamin C moisturizer day and night, and use salicylic acid or tea tree oil on my breakouts. I do not wear makeup (other than eye makeup) and only use cover-up when needed.

I am thinking about reducing my face-washing to once or twice a week and only moisturizing if my skin becomes excessively dry. If this "nearly caveman" method shows promising results, I may go full on caveman.

What are your experiences with this method?? I know most acne sufferers are in my same boat, having tried every product under the sun..For those who have boycotted the facial products, how has going caveman worked/not worked for you?

#2 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

I suggest you try just washing your face with water and avoiding cleanser.  And ignore all the other claims that you supposedly have to go through to go 'caveman.'

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users