Acne Coverage Tutorial

makeup coverage concealer foundation

13 replies to this topic

#1 Lily87

Lily87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Ex pro makeup artist, always looking for acne cures!

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

Hi all,

I just wrote a tutorial on my blog for covering acne- with pictures and a step by step guide. Feel free to check it out. I used to be a professional makeup artist and also have acne- its actually not too bad at the moment but has been severe in the past.

Whilst I'm having a flare up I thought it would be a good time to create a picture tutorial:

www.4loveofmakeup.wordpress.com

Here are some product recommendations- i swear by these!

• Laura Mercier Secret Camoflage concealer
  • Lancome Teint Miracle foundation
  • Lancome loose translucent powder

:-)

#2 LewisS

LewisS

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

Wow, that coverage is amazing. I'm a guy and even I'm considering using it! :P

#3 Lily87

Lily87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:29 AM

Thanks Lewis! To be fair, I think guys have a hard time of it with acne because it's not so easy to use makeup and get away with it- but there's no reason why you can't use a bit of cover-up, just make sure its well applied.

For guys, I would say just go with a bit of concealer and loose powder. Even if you just use a tiny amount to tone down redness or tackle your worst areas.

The key is to get a concealer which is a great match for your skin tone, and use the loose powder to set it- as described in my blog. A loose powder is better than the type of pressed powder which comes in a compact palette, as it is of a finer consistency and is easier to work into your skin with less visibility.

I'd say go ahead and give it a go! Just make sure to double check how it looks in natural light (i.e apply it whilst standing by a window). :-)

#4 LewisS

LewisS

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:01 AM

Yeah, I probably would use a powder rather than foundation. I'd want to to look as natural as possible. I have tons scars that I'd like to cover up :/

#5 Lily87

Lily87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:38 AM

Well the good news is that scars are easier to cover than actual acne- it's just a case of concealing the pigmentation caused by scars.

I'd definitely say to use a little concealer, very lightly dabbed on, just with the loose powder to help it stay put.

Or if you have very red scars, you could just use a green primer and nothing else- this would help to even out your overall skin tone. I know green sounds crazy but it doesn't actually look green on the skin, it basically just neutralises red.

You may feel more comfortable just using a primer as it doesn't look at all like makeup on the skin, it's pretty much undetectable if applied well.

It can also be used as a base under makeup- which is its primary use usually.

#6 Ryouta

Ryouta

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

Wow lily you are gorgeous

im a guy and my acne was just as bad as yours when it was at your worst =(

right now alot of my actives have calmed down and im left with a bunch of red marks/hyperpigmentation

im reading your blog hopefully i can find a way a method to cover it T_T

#7 Lily87

Lily87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

Wow lily you are gorgeous

im a guy and my acne was just as bad as yours when it was at your worst =(

right now alot of my actives have calmed down and im left with a bunch of red marks/hyperpigmentation

im reading your blog hopefully i can find a way a method to cover it T_T

Hey Ryouta,

Thank you for the lovely compliment!

I have replied to your comments on my blog, so hopefully the advice will help you.

I'm in the same boat as you at the moment- my acne has stopped breaking out but I'm just left with all the red reminders!

But, at least redness and scars can be concealed, so don't be too disheartened- and like I said in my reply to you- they will fade in their own time too, so there is light at the end of the tunnel! :-)

#8 andrewbleah

andrewbleah

I'm wise.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

Wow that's really cool I wish  I could use that amount!

For the guys in here, I'm wearing foundation for a year now I think, what I do is I use a green primer(MUFE one) but before that I exfoliate and moisturize and then using a wet sponge you carefully apply it,since I've been doing this my friends asked  if I stoped wearing make up ,haha.

By the way Lily your eyes are just beautiful.

Edited by andrewbleah, 26 April 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#9 Lily87

Lily87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:24 AM

Wow that's really cool I wish  I could use that amount!
For the guys in here, I'm wearing foundation for a year now I think, what I do is I use a green primer(MUFE one) but before that I exfoliate and moisturize and then using a wet sponge you carefully apply it,since I've been doing this my friends asked  if I stoped wearing make up ,haha.
By the way Lily your eyes are just beautiful.

Thank you very much Andrew! Sounds like you have got a great routine sorted out- I always think green primers are a good way to go- especially for men. Cover up tips like yours are always really helpful as makeup for men is so much more difficult than it is for women!

#10 vituperative

vituperative

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:31 PM

Firstly, you are so beautiful! I'm so jealous :P

Also, great tips. Unfortunately my skin is so disgustingly scarred and sensitive to 99% of make up out there that I can never look great. My make up is always obvious, my foundation is always a little too "orange" even though I get the absolute whitest/palest foundation. I wish that I could use different types of creams, powders, foundations, primers. Nothing ever looks good on me and I end up breaking out so bad. I do love the eyeliner tutorials tho!

#11 Lily87

Lily87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

Firstly, you are so beautiful! I'm so jealous :P

Also, great tips. Unfortunately my skin is so disgustingly scarred and sensitive to 99% of make up out there that I can never look great. My make up is always obvious, my foundation is always a little too "orange" even though I get the absolute whitest/palest foundation. I wish that I could use different types of creams, powders, foundations, primers. Nothing ever looks good on me and I end up breaking out so bad. I do love the eyeliner tutorials tho!

Well firstly, thank you so much! And secondly, you are too hard on yourself! You look absolutely gorgeous and although acne can make us feel awful about our appearance, what we think we look like is not usually how we look to other people- if that makes sense! So try not to let your skin get you too down. Easy to say, I know!

It must be really hard having such sensitive skin as it always feels like such a risk trying out new things. My skin is very prone to rashes, redness, acne etc but I've never had any sensitivity to that lancome Teint miracle foundation, so it might be worth a try for you- but you know your own skin and I know sometimes it's safest just to stick to what you know.

Otherwise, if you aren't already, start taking some vitamin D3 supplements along with zinc and magnesium. I keep banging on about it but it really has done amazing things for my acne.

Oh and thanks for checking out my blog- if you love eye makeup, I've just discovered the most amazing mascara/ lash extension product ever! That sounds like a lot of hype, but honestly i'm so impressed with it, so I've just posted a review on it.

#12 aanabill

aanabill

Sad has made me value happy!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:46 AM

Firstly, you are so beautiful! I'm so jealous tongue.png

hey!don't say that.i think u're very pretty and also very warm.

i've no idea why am saying that ,probably the way u respond but i just have this feeling.

i can say that about a few other people here including lily .she's very sweet.=)

i really hope i'd more people like u around me in real.

love and hugs!wub.png

#13 vituperative

vituperative

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

Firstly, you are so beautiful! I'm so jealous tongue.png

hey!don't say that.i think u're very pretty and also very warm.

i've no idea why am saying that ,probably the way u respond but i just have this feeling.

i can say that about a few other people here including lily .she's very sweet.=)

i really hope i'd more people like u around me in real.

love and hugs!wub.png

Oh thank you, you're so sweet and warm, too! biggrin.png 
I wish I knew people like you in real life, it would be so good :)
Hugs!

#14 Krissy990

Krissy990

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

Wow I actually was randomly googling good acne covering foundation and found your blog first. Then I just typed the name of the foundation here and how delighted I am to find you on here as well. First I would like to say that coverage is pretty amazing! I've been looking for something that wont clog my pores but still gives nice coverage for hyperpigmentation. Ive been using the Revlon colorstay whipped and randomly using the naked foundation from urban decay but both look so cakey on me right now :(. They just don't sit well on my skin for some reason. I think I will definitely look into this foundation! Thanks so much for the shared knowledge!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users