Photo

New Forum Structure

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

#61 real maverick

real maverick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

Lets discuss this. Please take the time to read my post in full and debate my points.

I've just taken a snapshot of the scars/red marks forum. Marked in red are topics about scars, topics that specifically talk about scars even in the title. 

prood.png

1. Every topic is about scars, except for 1, which actually maybe about scars but I didn't read it to find out.

2. Regardless of whether the 2 forums are merged or not, all those posts marked in red, would have been posted in the scars forum. Because these people believe they have scars.

3. Whether or not they are scars or in your opinion red marks, these members believe they're scars and so they would have posted in the scars forum regardless. 

4. This has been an age old problem, those with scars get angry at those who post in the scars forum. But it's always happened.

5. While treatments for both are different, as you can see, 99% of the discussion is still about scars. It's not as though the forum is suddenly flooded with posts about red marks.

It appears some of you are angry that we believe red marks and scars are the same thing. That is not the case. 

Discuss! :)

#62 *Inspired*

*Inspired*

Formerly "TokyoGirl"

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:05 AM

I think old scar members posting to the scar board in the last 24 hours or so have caused traffic and posts to that board. Please take a snapshot of actual replies to that forum over the last 96 hours. It's ridiculous. Most of us have been holding back. Many long time members have dropped off that board. There's very little useful information being shared. I understand that you don't see it but we do. As of a couple days ago, the top dicussion on the board was "urine" for mark treatment. Really?

#63 real maverick

real maverick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

At the time of merging, for every 10 posts to the scar forum, there was 1 post to the red marks forum.

I truly want to understand but nobody is addressing any of the points I made and nobody is providing any kind of evidence that things have really changed in the scars forum.

In the past I'd periodically read the scars forum and it was always a mix of those with scars and those who believed they have scars. That still appears to be the case now, except for the odd post about red marks but they're few and far between.

#64 *Inspired*

*Inspired*

Formerly "TokyoGirl"

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

At the time of merging, for every 10 posts to the scar forum, there was 1 post to the red marks forum.

I truly want to understand but nobody is addressing any of the points I made and nobody is providing any kind of evidence that things have really changed in the scars forum.

In the past I'd periodically read the scars forum and it was always a mix of those with scars and those who believed they have scars. That still appears to be the case now, except for the odd post about red marks but they're few and far between.

There is absolutely no way that's true. 
Snap shot of the forum on January 20, 2013, before the merge:

http://web.archive.o...g/messageboard/

There was pretty much one post to the red marks forum for every 3 posts to the scar board.

I think we've already stated how we feel about the change. Are you really asking us to go through every post and explain how it's different today? It's obvious that you're simply against giving us the scar board back. Why is that?

ADD-ON:

How do you get a ratio of 1:10 out of this?

---------------

Scars

• 23,285 topics
  • 181,439 replies

---------------

Red Marks

• 9,916 topics
  • 55,305 replies

1 red topic to every 2.35 scar topics
1 red reply to every 3.28 scar replies

Edited by *Inspired*, 03 July 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#65 real maverick

real maverick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

I think we've already stated how we feel about the change. Are you really asking us to go through every post and explain how it's different today? It's obvious that you're simply against giving us the scar board back. Why is that?

If that were the case, I'd tell you that's the way it is, lock the thread and forbid you from opening another about this matter. However, I'm discussing it so that I can understand and if I can figure out what the real issue is here, we can try to do something about it.

There are a very small minority complaining about the change, we cannot switch things back and forth just because a small percentage of people dont approve. However, if good and valid reasons can be provided, then it's something we can look in to fixing.

Please at least show me some screenshots of what you consider to be a mess and why. I need to understand whats wrong before I can fix it.

When you merge a forum, it's a couple of clicks. Unfortunately there is no "un-merge" button, so the only option is to go through page per page and manually move thread by thread. So it is important we fully understand the problems you're having.

#66 Cyberpile

Cyberpile

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

Yes, they are different, however they're not strictly acne. But I agree we do need a place to discuss scars and red marks, but I don't believe we need more than one forum to discuss. 

You make it seem like scars and red marks aren't an important part of acne.org because they're not acne. Does anyone know of a better acne scar forum or PIH forum?

The forums were combined partially because people with redness were posting in the scar forum anyway? This could easily be fixed by naming the scar forum REAL SCARRING NOT RED SPOTS or PERMANENT CRATERS NOT LITTLE RED DOTS WHERE A PIMPLE WAS. Call the redness forum IMAGINARY SCARS NOT PERMANENT HOLES or REDNESS NOT PITS ON YOUR SKIN. They could also be called PERMANENT SCARRING and TEMPORARY REDNESS. Sadly, this would be less ridiculous then combining them if you want to easily try to find decent, organized information and also gain a thorough understanding of treatments for PIH . It just isn't an ideal structure for finding good information on PIH.

Edited by Sisyphus, 04 July 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#67 FabianL

FabianL

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

<deleted>

Edited by FabianL, 01 October 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#68 real maverick

real maverick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

There is no need for all this negativity, it's not nice and it's not helping anybody. We are on your side, I promise.

Acne.org was setup for Dan to share his regimen, which is his step-by-step guide that cleared his acne and cleared the skin of thousands of others around the world. Check out the success stories, his regimen has changed so many lives: http://www.acne.org/...en-success.html

The Regimen come first, not the forums or the reviews section or the galleries. The website has expanded so that you guys can share your own regimens, get the support you need and ultimately find your solution.

Everybody working at Acne.org is either an acne sufferer or an ex acne sufferer and we work here because we care and believe in Dans mission, it's a cause I'm incredibly proud to be a part of. It's extremely close to my heart and I would NOT be here right now if acne.org's focus was selling products and making money.

The only reason Dan started selling products, was to try and provide users of The Regimen with better value products. Ask yourself, how many companies offer alternative products? How many allow you to discuss other products? I'd be willing to bet there are zero. But Dan does because his focus is helping get people clear skin, not selling products.

These huge advertisements you talk about, are for guests and can be closed by clicking the "x". The reason you don't see them now, is because you're logged in and they don't display to members. They're not even advertisements, we're trying to create awareness of The Regimen, something we truly believe in.

If this was about profits, the "advert" would be linking to the store, which would be selling all kinds of rubbish that doesn't work. But every single product in the store has a function within The Regimen, and was produced to the highest possible quality and is sold at the lowest price possible.

#69 FabianL

FabianL

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

<deleted>

Edited by FabianL, 01 October 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#70 real maverick

real maverick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for taking the time to explain. It's getting late here in the UK but I want to respond before I finally get to bed.

It's not what people are looking for in any other but the regimen forums

But keep in mind most visitors have acne and are looking for "the cure" and as you know, a cure doesn't really exist. You'll also know there is a LOT of rubbish on the internet and in stores that doesn't work. As far as I'm concerned The Regimen is the best system for clear skin, besides Accutane of course. But Accutane comes with some serious side effects and should be a last resort. I myself had great success with The Regimen and I'd previously tried everything. But at 26 I got tired of the time it took and opted for Accutane.

If somebody were to create a topical product that cured acne, I'm certain that Dan would recommend that instead. But as it stands for most people The Regimen is still the best way to clear their skin. The amount of visitors that miss The Regimen is crazy. We get members who've been here for a few years who suddenly stumble upon the regimen and had no idea it existed! How did they miss it? I honestly don't know. The banner is an attempt to alert people of the regimen and it's super easy to close and it wont bother you again.

Let me get back on-topic for a minute, before the merge, we'd get regular emails from visitors and members complaining that the forum was too difficult to navigate, that we had too many sub forums and eventually we give in and restructured them, based on the feedback and our own observations. We spent a long time debating the options. But of course now we're getting complaints about the changes. It's not as easy as you may think to please everybody, but we do try.

I'm really sorry that this decision negatively impacted your experience here, that obviously wasn't the intention, on the contrary.

Take a look at the about page, where Dan openly talks about acne.org, The Regimen and our mission: http://www.acne.org/about.html

#71 FabianL

FabianL

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

<deleted>

Edited by FabianL, 01 October 2013 - 03:51 PM.

#72 AyeAye

AyeAye

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 30
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:16 PM

So much aggression displayed over the decision to merge two forums, and such strong opinions doubting the ethics of this site owner - It just blows me away.  If someone gets so upset over changes to a website than I can only imagine the level of anxiety and stress just living life must create.  Changes occur in all aspects of our lives and how can it be possible for every change to benefit everyone?  But change should never be taken on as a personal attack.  If it negatively impacts you, there are a few options that you can make.  1. Accept the change and modify your behaviour to suit. 2.  Make a complaint and suggest changes. 3. Don't accept the change and move on.   I was brought up by my parents to understand that the world does not revolve around me and I think its something that we need to be reminded of now and again.  If you don't like something, it does not give you permission to be aggressive and insulting.

@ FabianL  I'm a moderator of this site and my JOB is to run my own business.  I VOLUNTEER my time to help this site run smoothly and I dedicate many hours a week in doing so. But thank you for reminding me that my job is to move threads posted in wrong forums.  Thank you.

#73 FabianL

FabianL

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

<deleted>

#74 real maverick

real maverick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

Fabian, I think some good points have been made but I do also feel they have been a little lost and overshadowed by the nasty remarks. Even now, you're doing it again, doubting our motives etc.

#75 FabianL

FabianL

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:10 AM

<deleted>

#76 AKL

AKL

Retired Mod

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

Wowowowow Fabian! I just got your PM, which triggered me to come back here. Thank you very much for your kind words, but please... The decision to leave was mine and mine alone, these people have nothing to do with it. In fact, having worked with them very closely for a long time, they have practically become family. And trust me, I didn't always agree with them either, on the contrary, we've had our fights. I'm sorry that you hated to see me go, but please don't take it out on them, ok? I see the frustration in your posts, but it's not appreciated. You should be mad at me then, for again, it was my decision, no one forced me. fwiw: I'm pretty sure that there are several members who partied once they found out that I had left wink.png  I know the current moderators and I know they are amazing, give them some credit.

As for this topic, from one Dutchman to another: stfu! (you must appreciate the honesty tongue.png). I totally get where you're coming from, I understand why members are complaining, but come on... You're acting as if something terrible has happened to mankind. Relax, ok? And tone it down a bit. I'm sure that you can have a decent conversation without being rude. Yes yes, I know...us Dutchies are pretty straightforward in our communication, but you have to understand that it's not like that everywhere else. And posts and emails are different from talking in person, people feel attacked much sooner. Even though your intentions are good, I can see that, the way you communicate them sucks, sorry.

Sooooo...Paul, when do you unmerge the red marks and scar forums? tongue.pnglol.gif

And AyeAye! wavey.gif I miss you, silly woman! Hey, when has the world stopped revolving around you anyway? What did I miss? wink.png (meh, don't answer)

Be well, everybody! biggrin.png

eta...I just realized that this is almost entirely off-topic...  neutral.gif

Edited by AKL, 06 July 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#77 FabianL

FabianL

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

<deleted>

#78 AKL

AKL

Retired Mod

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

Hi Fabian! I believe you, I know how us Dutchies communicate sometimes ;) Please don't be sad, I'm sure you'll find that the current mods are seriously cool! But thanks again, the amount of support and kindness that I've received from members was just overwhelming. Our members are the bestest! :)

I also think you've made some good points with regards to the scar forum, I'm pretty sure that Admin and the mods see it, too. imo there's just no need to be so negative, it won't help bring forums back any sooner, all it does is divert attention from the topic.

#79 AyeAye

AyeAye

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 30
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

And why is the rant from that moderator not nasty? For example about how she was brought up by her parents that the world does not revolve around her. That message is clear, namely that the members who keep complaining are being selfish and egocentric because they don't get what they want

Fabian, you are absolutely right.  My point was poorly expressed and I apologise.

#80 FabianL

FabianL

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:29 PM

<deleted>