Photo

New Forum Structure

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

#41 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:29 AM

I think it would be nice to have an acne research forum as well. Oily skin was the main one I needed, but I think acne research deserves its own forum.

Also, do you have any updates on when you will start using the new layout?

#42 Nope.avi

Nope.avi

You wanna know how I got these scars?

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:23 AM

Christ, why would you merge hyperpigmentation, scars and hypertrophic scars? They're three very different problems and each sub had their own group that was well versed in the treatment of each. You've unstickied the most important threads (yet kept a hyperpig sticky) and they're being pushed pages back. The whole place is a mess.

#43 real maverick

real maverick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

Yes, they are different, however they're not strictly acne. But I agree we do need a place to discuss scars and red marks, but I don't believe we need more than one forum to discuss. 

Can you please link me to topics you believe should have remained sticky? Keep in mind, a sticky should be a topic that's so good, nobody should miss it.

#44 13yearsofAcne

13yearsofAcne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

Is there any movement on adding back some of the old forums? The community has lost alot of organisation and really good information imo.

I would also point out that this is acne.org, not acnevulgaris.org, so technically all subtypes of acne could / should be covered.

Edited by 13yearsofAcne, 29 March 2013 - 04:07 PM.

#45 justmeuk

justmeuk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:39 AM

I agree the scars and red marks forum should never have been merged.  They are two completely different things and much confusion arises as people with red marks are posting topics about their "scars".  As somebody with severe depressed acne scarring clicking onto multiple posts about peoples scars which turn out to be red marks is very frustrating.  I am having to sift through multiple posts trying to find posts that are relevant to me. Red marks seem very trivial when you are dealing with permanent indented scarring that will not disappear over time.  

#46 real maverick

real maverick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:19 AM

The specified old forums will be back this week. However I then need to manually move all of the posts back to the relevant forums. That may take me some time.

They are two completely different things and much confusion arises as people with red marks are posting topics about their "scars".

Peoples misunderstanding of the difference between scars, red marks and hyper-pigmentation, isn't related to the merging of forums. People with red marks, were posting in the scars forum. 

While red marks may appear trivial to you, they don't to those who are suffering with them. Of course, there are always people in a worse position.

#47 real maverick

real maverick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

We're working on this right now. For a little while the forums will be empty, until we've moved the relevant posts back.

#48 andrewbleah

andrewbleah

I'm wise.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:52 AM

I miss the severe acne subforum.

#49 real maverick

real maverick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

The oily skin and hormonal acne forums are now back.

We've also introduced a new feature, to help accomodate those of you who were missing things like the severe acne forum etc. For example, you'll see new categories:  Mild to moderate acne • blackheads • severe acne

These categories act as quick links, to find posts that are tagged with that phrase. 

Thanks for all your feedback and input. I think the forums are better organised than ever now.

#50 ayla

ayla

dum spiro, spero

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

org2u.jpgorgk.jpg

Edited by ayla, 08 April 2013 - 11:29 AM.

#51 real maverick

real maverick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

1. That website and all similar websites, use extremely unreliable data. For example, 30,000 daily views, the actual number is in hundreds of thousands.

2. The chart doesn't even show dates. 

3. Historically drops and peaks in traffic haven't been related to message board upgrades or changes. They have always been related to changes made to Googles algorithms.

Actually, since March 12th when we reorganised the forum, traffic specifically to the forums has increased. 

#52 mbbento

mbbento

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

You should bring back the research forum.  This bites.

#53 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:28 AM

Did you really merge Redmarks and scarring? This is so confusing and so hard to use anymore. I can't search through tons of PIH posts to find indented acne scarring info and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Completely frustrating. The scarring board was the board with the most posts so now its ridiculous to try and follow.

I hope you change it back. I don't understand why you'd change the board so radically. I can't even with this.

The scar forum now has 34,000 topics! It's too messed up to use anymore.

Edited by LoveGreenSmoothies, 20 May 2013 - 01:29 AM.

#54 real maverick

real maverick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

I really want to try and understand your concern. But I have to be honest, at the moment I don't understand the issue.

The scars forum had almost 25,000+ topics before the merge, the scar topics far outweigh red mark topics.

Now, perhaps 1 in 5 topics are regarding red marks. Does this really disable you to view the topics specific to scars?

You also have a great search, which will help you find specific topics.

You can also subscribe to specific topics of interest and receive updates when these topics are updated. The merge doesn't disable you from following topics.

Please don't think we see scars or the scars forum as unimportant. That isn't the case. We do however believe the two subjects are so closely related, that they belong together.

#55 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

Exactly, it *already* had so many topics so merging it makes no sense. Smaller forums should be merged together to create more space bc they're not tht active. Merging two very active topics is just making things confusing, not efficient IMO.

There's such a big difference between scars and red marks, but so many ppl call redmarks scars and that's where it gets confusing. It's hard to tell if a topic is scarring or PIH. It's confusing.

Merging hypertrophic and depressed scaring would be fine bc the topics are easy to discern by title and there aren't so many hypertrophic scar topics.

The red marks forum merged with strophic is confusing and its a problem because the remark forum was one of the more active forums too.

Redmarks are not scarring so I don't think they should be in the same forum.

Edited by LoveGreenSmoothies, 22 May 2013 - 09:56 PM.

#56 real maverick

real maverick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:16 AM

The red marks forum was only small, I think it had around 4,000 posts total and wasn't terribly active.

There's such a big difference between scars and red marks, but so many ppl call redmarks scars and that's where it gets confusing. It's hard to tell if a topic is scarring or PIH. It's confusing.

You're absolutely right. Though if you've used the scar forums prior to the merge, you'll know that many people with red marks posted in the scar forums, believing they had scars. But as you quite rightly point out, they had red marks. The merge didn't cause that, it has always been an issue.

Those with red marks, who are aware they have red marks and not scars title their posts accordingly and thus they are easy to skip.

But those who believe they have scars (but don't), always would have posted in the scars forum anyway.

IMO this is an age old issue and isn't a new issue caused by the merge.

#57 *Inspired*

*Inspired*

Formerly "TokyoGirl"

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

real maverick,

Do you suffer from acne scars? I would bet you can't even begin to relate to having your face scarred for life, knowing there is no cure or method to get "rid" of scars. Based on the forum description of the "mark" board, it is possible to get rid of scars. You guys have successfully destroyed the best resource & community on the Internet for acne scar sufferers. You have invalidated the therapuetic value all of us shared on the scar board. Being that acne.org doesn't sell any products that could benefit a scar sufferer, I am forced to conclude that you are intentionally trying to drive acne scar discussion off this site as there is no benefit to acne.org.

Tell me this -- why keep the roscacea and facial redness board? Why not lump hyperpigmentation (curable/treatable) with roscacea and facial redness? Why would you treat it the same as scars? There were as many people posting to the roscacea board about hyperpigmentaiton as the scar board.

Thank you for successfully transforming the scar board into a home remedy, hollistic healing board! Much appreciated. I don't have the time or desire to weed through all the nonsense being discussed in that forum now. It is bad enough that society treats scar sufferers differently. Why in the world would acne.org, of all places, group "scars" with "red marks", as if they are the same thing and invalidate our feelings around that board?

Edited by *Inspired*, 02 July 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#58 *Inspired*

*Inspired*

Formerly "TokyoGirl"

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:36 AM

Okay. My post was a bit over the top and sarcastic in some areas. I apologize for that. I haven't posted in months and actually thought/hoped the board would return to normal on its own. Unless you were an active participant on the forum and someone following scar treatments, you probably can't see how much the board has changed over the last few months. Can we please have our scar board back? I understand grouping hypertrophic with atrophic scars but why hyperpigmentation? Manuka honey, essential oils, urine, lemon juice, creams, topicals, etc. will do nothing for scars. I once believed in these home remedies, and know they don't work for real scars. It is confusing for new people looking for solutions and aggravates the knowledgeable ones. Please give us our scar board back.

#59 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

I'd just like to echo the concerns about merging the red marks and scars forums. True acne scar victims suffer a particular kind of torment that people with red marks don't. Not trying to be over-dramatic, but it is very difficult to find doctors and treatments to help us. Having a board solely dedicated to true acne scars provides a tremendous resource that we can't get anywhere else. It becomes watered down and convoluted when irrelevant topics are added to the mix. It is 100% different and the treatments are 100% different than people with red marks. We are and always will be a separate group.

That being said, I am incredibly grateful for this site. It has been invaluable to me. So thank you.

#60 FruitBiscuits

FruitBiscuits

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

I agree with both *Inspired*, michi31, and others. It's not a good idea to marge scars and red marks. They are completely different issues involved in different treatments and resources. It really doesn't make sense to put them together, too confusing. If acne.org truly cares about being helpful to org users, then you should change back. Before you changed the structure, it was very helpful and that is the reason why I joined your site. Thank you.

Edited by FruitBiscuits, 03 July 2013 - 08:43 AM.