Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iliketeaandc

Swollen Face From Benzoyl Peroxide

3 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I started the regimen 12 days ago, for the first 10 days my skin cleared progressively and nearly all my acne was gone aside a few small whiteheads, and my skin was not that dry, not unbearably so. I was using moisturizer mixed with jojoba oil after applying the benzoyl peroxide. For the first 6 days i only applied benzoyl peroxide once a day and then i upped it to twice a day.

Anyways to the point, I went out on friday night and did the regimen when i got in, however I was quite drunk and forgot to apply any moisturizer afterwards. The next day my face was a lot redder than usual, i continued the regimen that day, morning and night and when i woke up the next day my skin was bright red and very swollen, my forehead and around my eyes were swollen.

So my question is, am I allergic to benzoyl peroxide (i really hope not) or was it to do with not moisturizing and perhaps upping the dose too quicky, I have been slathering a lot of bp on.

Thanks for the help

It's highly unlikely that you're allergic to BP as you have been comfortably applying it for nearly 2 weeks. A red, and some swelling is a reaction some people have once upping the dose of BP (I know I did).

I would say that you have upped the dose of BP too quickly and recommend that you reduce it back a bit. Try only one pump twice a day for a week, and then up the night time dose to 2 pumps the following week (while keeping your morning application to one pump) and then 2 pumps twice a day the following week after that. If you're finding that your skin is still really red and swollen, don't increase the dose, just keep applying as is for a bit longer.

But the trick with the regimen to get clear is to get to the 2 pumps twice a day dose, so even if your face is red, try to keep increasing. If its swollen, red and very sore then hold back for a while.

Good luck! :)

1 person likes this

After remaining clear for around 1.5 years following DKR (The Regimen), in March 2013 I decided to change to Epiduo. I use a pea size amount of epiduo each night, followed by a layer of topical antibiotic (Eryacne). I also apply Eryacne every morning and moisturise twice a day. After switching to Epiduo from the regimen I found that it took a good 3 months to get back to being perfectly clear again and now I might get one small pimple appear per month. I can live with that

I started following Dan's Regimen in September 2011 after suffering with acne for 20 years or so. I followed the Regimen instructions exactly and became 100% clear within 9-11 weeks. In December 2011 and after being consistently clear for over a month, I started to slowly reduce the amount of BP I used until I was only applying BP at night. My skin still remained clear however I sometimes switched to applying BP twice a day for a few days (perhaps once a month) if I felt a few under skin bumps starting to come up. I used acne.org products (including AHA and jojoba oil) and sometimes cetaphil moisturiser at night if I felt my skin was especially dry. In the gallery I show my week by week progress following the regimen.

I've been on the regimen for over a year, and my skin in amazing now! However, when I first started, my face was an awful burning mess. The BP burned my face and I too thought I was allergic. My advice to you is to just power through it. It may take a few months, but your face will feel better and the redness WILL go away!