Photo

Spironolactone (100Mg) + Minocycline (200Mg) Progress (Pics)

spironolactone minocycline antibiotics microgestine severe cysts honey asprin retinoids

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#21 collegeboy84

collegeboy84

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:16 PM

I have posted this a few times prior but I guess its worth repeating on this thread. Check out the recent studies that show a link between acne and foods that rank high on the glycemic index. Highly glycemic foods spike insulin levels which ultimately leads to acne breakouts for those of us who have sensitive skin to insulin levels. Google " glycemic foods and acne" and you will find a ton of helpful information.

Caffeine, beer, sugars, rice, beans, breads, potatoes , most refined carbs will cause insulin to spike. Sugars literally begin breaking down in the mouth. You can curve the insulin spike effects of these high GI foods by digesting them with proteins and healthy-fats (which digest very slow in comparison).

http://www.medicalne...cles/256664.php

http://ajcn.nutritio...t/86/1/107.full

Anyways, your skin doesn't look bad at all. Its all superficial and temporary.

Good luck!

Hey how is sprio treating you? Well, i notice when i eat some certain foods, i break out..like sweets and chocolate. It's really hard to keep a "clean" diet because it's not really convenient  I'm trying to start a new diet and stick with it, but i will need to prepare lots of foods and stuff. I know what you mean about the scarring sad.png I actually took my blood pressure today and it came back below average, which makes me feel unsure about spiro because it's listed to treat high blood pressure eusa_think.gif

Hey!  Spiro is treating me well, no new breakouts smile.png  I also tried to cut things out of my diet and didn't notice much of a difference, but I hear a lot of people have success when changing their diet.

Ahhh, did you ask your doctor what they think about you starting spiro with low blood pressure?

My 3 co2 laser fraxel:repair journal w/ photos-

http://www.acne.org/...s/#entry3248488

Good read-

#22 pbajsandwich

pbajsandwich

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

I have posted this a few times prior but I guess its worth repeating on this thread. Check out the recent studies that show a link between acne and foods that rank high on the glycemic index. Highly glycemic foods spike insulin levels which ultimately leads to acne breakouts for those of us who have sensitive skin to insulin levels. Google " glycemic foods and acne" and you will find a ton of helpful information.

Caffeine, beer, sugars, rice, beans, breads, potatoes , most refined carbs will cause insulin to spike. Sugars literally begin breaking down in the mouth. You can curve the insulin spike effects of these high GI foods by digesting them with proteins and healthy-fats (which digest very slow in comparison).

Good luck!

Sorry for the late reply, I've been on vacation and haven't logged onto acne.org for a few weeks.  I will definitely check those links out and do some reading.  I've recently started eating healthier (no more pizza for me!).  Thanks, now I'm only left with minimal scarring.

Month 4 update (pictures below):

By the end of month 3, no new pimples have surfaced. The medication has stopped my acne completely and now my scars are beginning to fade.  I slowed down on the honey/asprin mask simply due to laziness and haven't experienced any adverse effects.  I have yet to try any new topical treatments to lighten my scars in fear that it may ruin the clear streak I'm currently experiencing.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_7205.jpg
  • IMG_7212.jpg
  • IMG_7213.jpg

#23 i saw the sign

i saw the sign

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

your skin has had amazing progress!! i just went to get baseline bloodwork today and will meet with my derm next week to get the spiro prescription.  did you also need to get bloodwork? my derm said that spiro can elevate my potassium levels so i need to have monthly bloodwork, similar to accutane.  also, my derm mentioned nothing about going on mino or an antibiotic with sprio.  do you think that helped? i'll bring that to her attention.  the problem with me is that antibiotics give me yeast infections.  i've been taking doxycycline for a few months but got 2 yeast infections, so she is putting me on spiro.

about accutane... i've been on accutane twice. like you, i put it off and tried EVERYTHING under the sun (i was actually on spiro about 10 years ago in high school) but nothing worked.  nothing even gave me the slightest improvement.  i was terrified to go on accutane after all the horror stories i read, but my experience wasn't as bad as i thought it would be.  i had thinning hair and DRYYYYY skin.  i can't emphasize enough how dry my skin was. it was really embarrassing... but once i got off accutane my skin was amazing for about 2 years.  unfortunately... and i have no idea what triggered it... my skin is back to being how it was in high school :( 

hopefully spiro works for me like it is for you! you look so great.

#24 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:40 AM

Good luck!

Sorry for the late reply, I've been on vacation and haven't logged onto acne.org for a few weeks.  I will definitely check those links out and do some reading.  I've recently started eating healthier (no more pizza for me!).  Thanks, now I'm only left with minimal scarring.

Month 4 update (pictures below):

By the end of month 3, no new pimples have surfaced. The medication has stopped my acne completely and now my scars are beginning to fade.  I slowed down on the honey/asprin mask simply due to laziness and haven't experienced any adverse effects.  I have yet to try any new topical treatments to lighten my scars in fear that it may ruin the clear streak I'm currently experiencing.

Are you still on the mino as well?

#25 pbajsandwich

pbajsandwich

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

your skin has had amazing progress!! i just went to get baseline bloodwork today and will meet with my derm next week to get the spiro prescription.  did you also need to get bloodwork? my derm said that spiro can elevate my potassium levels so i need to have monthly bloodwork, similar to accutane.  also, my derm mentioned nothing about going on mino or an antibiotic with sprio.  do you think that helped? i'll bring that to her attention.  the problem with me is that antibiotics give me yeast infections.  i've been taking doxycycline for a few months but got 2 yeast infections, so she is putting me on spiro.

about accutane... i've been on accutane twice. like you, i put it off and tried EVERYTHING under the sun (i was actually on spiro about 10 years ago in high school) but nothing worked.  nothing even gave me the slightest improvement.  i was terrified to go on accutane after all the horror stories i read, but my experience wasn't as bad as i thought it would be.  i had thinning hair and DRYYYYY skin.  i can't emphasize enough how dry my skin was. it was really embarrassing... but once i got off accutane my skin was amazing for about 2 years.  unfortunately... and i have no idea what triggered it... my skin is back to being how it was in high school sad.png

hopefully spiro works for me like it is for you! you look so great.

I'm still in shock at the difference I have seen in four months. :)  Yes, I too had to get baseline bloodwork done, mainly to check my potassium levels.  My results came back normal, so I was given the green light to start spiro.  I went back recently for a three month check-up and had to get another blood test, but this time only to check my potassium levels (as expected, they were higher than the original test, but was within the normal range).  I was first prescribed doxycycline, but it was extremely expensive and my doctor switched the prescription to minocycline with the intention that it would have the same results.

A few years ago I developed UTIs and had to take antibiotics (3-5 days).  I also got a yeast infection taking antibiotics for a UTI, but since taking minocycline I have not experienced any infection. If you are getting yeast infections from doxycycline, then your doctor probably has a good reason for only starting you only on spiro, but hey, it never hurts to ask!  Honestly since I have been taking both medications since the start, I do not know if the mino or spiro has made the bigger difference or if it is the combination that has garnered great results.  I really do hope it is the spiro so I can wean myself off the antibiotics.

Despite the side effects, that is great you had some success with Accutane.  2 years of clear skin would be like heaven!  I really hope the spiro works for you this second time around and you see some amazing results as well.  Are there any other topicals you apply regularly, or are you going to stick with only spiro and possibly antibiotics?

Let me know how things go and make sure to drink plenty of water!

Are you still on the mino as well?

Yup, I'm still taking minocycline (100mg) twice a day, 12 hours apart.

#26 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

I'll be curious about what happens when you go off the mino. I"m in the same situation.

Hydroquinone is what my derm said will really fade red marks but some people are really sensitive to it. I have found that either glycolic or salycilic acid help them, as well as Vit C serum. I have seen a huge difference made in people who get a series of chemical peels as well.

I just started Spiro almost 2 weeks ago and am really looking forward to it decreasing my oil production and clogged pores. So far nothing noticeable.

I tried hydroquinone and was quite sensitive to it, but I hear it works wonders.  Awesome, thanks for the advice.  I will look into all of those and provide an update.  I have also heard Vit C serum works really well.

Keep up with spiro if you can.  My oil production has continued to lessen and my acne has disappeared (but this may be due to mino as well).  Good luck and I hope things get better for you!

>are you still taking the mino?

Yup, I'm still taking 100mg of oral antibiotics twice a day.

#27 lifeinfaith

lifeinfaith

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

Hi Michi -

My doctor had me start tapering off Doxy for the past month. I am only taking 100 mg now (from 200) and next week I'm going to every other day and then off. The Doxy helped control the swelling from clogged pores purging, but I haven't had a swollen one in a month and a half now and have way less clogged pores (due to the retin a and extractions) to cause me issues. I'll let you know how it goes. I keep going up and down with the Spiro..after 3 weeks I felt much less oily for almost 10 days then my Derm got nervous about my lack of period and decreased to 50 which caused the oil to come back in 4-5 days. She upped me to 75 when I complained but I did that for 2 weeks and still was not as dry as I was on 100 so I went back up a few days ago..hoping shell be ok with that. The oil hasn't decreased again yet. How is the oiliness doing for your faces?

I'll be curious about what happens when you go off the mino. I"m in the same situation.

Hydroquinone is what my derm said will really fade red marks but some people are really sensitive to it. I have found that either glycolic or salycilic acid help them, as well as Vit C serum. I have seen a huge difference made in people who get a series of chemical peels as well.

I just started Spiro almost 2 weeks ago and am really looking forward to it decreasing my oil production and clogged pores. So far nothing noticeable.

I tried hydroquinone and was quite sensitive to it, but I hear it works wonders.  Awesome, thanks for the advice.  I will look into all of those and provide an update.  I have also heard Vit C serum works really well.

Keep up with spiro if you can.  My oil production has continued to lessen and my acne has disappeared (but this may be due to mino as well).  Good luck and I hope things get better for you!

>are you still taking the mino?

Yup, I'm still taking 100mg of oral antibiotics twice a day.

Pbajsandwich -

How many weeks are you on Spiro now and is your face still less oily? Have you had any other side effects from the Spiro?

First off, you're pretty! smile.png I was prescribed Spironolactone but i'm very hesitant to use to. Maybe i would go for the plunge later. It suppose to help with oily skin, did you notice any difference in oil reduction? 

Haha, thanks! 

I have definitely noticed a decrease in oil production.  My face would be shiny and icky halfway through the day, but now I feel no need to make a bathroom trip just to sop off the oils.  My advice to you is, don't wait.  I was also afraid (and still am), but it's best to be proactive.  I am new to this treatment, so complications may surface in the future, but I'm trying to think positively.  Good luck and I hope spiro works for you!

PM - Clean face with water and cotton rounds. Spot treat with Finacea.
AM- Wash face with Aveeno Gentle Foaming Cleanser and apply Sanitas Oil Free moisturizer
30mg Absorbica for 8 months

#28 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

Lifeinfaith - After 4.5 months on 100mg my face is no less oily and I'm still getting random breakouts, although the mino helped with that a lot. My endo says it can take 6-9 months for spiro to work but the fact that many people seem to have results much sooner scares me that it won't work for me. I also feel my sex drive is higher after starting it, which is just a really bad sign that it might be having the opposite effect. That's good you know what dosage works for you.

#29 pbajsandwich

pbajsandwich

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

Same, I am quite curious, but too scared to experiment   I hope the spiro kicked in and is doing the heavy lifting.  Let me know if you ever stop the antibiotics and what your results are.

I saw in your post above that you have been on spiro and mino for 4.5 months.  Yeah, I experienced results the first few weeks, but I think I was one of those random few.  My doctor also said it would take at least 3 months to see results.

Edited by pbajsandwich, 06 June 2013 - 12:32 PM.

#30 feebedel

feebedel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

Sorry for the delay, but no I've not done anything for my red marks. I've sort of just gotten used to them and they've faded considerably over time. 

-Feebedel
-150mg Spironolactone since July 5th, 2011
-Finacea gel since June 15, 2011

#31 pbajsandwich

pbajsandwich

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

Pbajsandwich -

How many weeks are you on Spiro now and is your face still less oily? Have you had any other side effects from the Spiro?

Hey lifeinfaith, I have been on Sprio for 16 weeks (~4 months) and my face is significantly less oily.  It used to be oily enough that I had to wipe my face a few times a day, but now I don't need to touch it at all and my skin feels very balanced.

The first side effects I experienced from spiro was light headedness and a lofty feeling during the first two weeks.  This could have also been due to the mino.  After that, the feeling dissipated.  Also, my periods are heavier and I feel achier during that time of the month, but nothing too severe. 

#32 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

The mino helped me quite a bit, although I seem to be having somewhat of a breakout now. I am not less oily though so I can't say the Spiro is working. The fact that you are less oily makes me think it is working for you and you could quit the mino and be fine.

#33 lifeinfaith

lifeinfaith

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

That's great that the Spiro worked so soon for you! I also saw results in the first 3 weeks with my oil, like you I had to wipe my face a few times a day and was so greasy by evening. However I dropped my dosage and it went back to oily! I'm back up to 100 now and hoping that it decreases the oil again soon. My Derm is concerned about my period disappearing... I don't mind not having a period, but I know it's not normal. It's weird because most people I hear on spiro get more frequent periods. Mine went away completely. After almost 2 months I got some spotting but that was it. The only other side effects I've had are occasional light headedness and a few minor muscle cramps when stretching. Maybe my period will work itself out...

Pbajsandwich -

Hey lifeinfaith, I have been on Sprio for 16 weeks (~4 months) and my face is significantly less oily.  It used to be oily enough that I had to wipe my face a few times a day, but now I don't need to touch it at all and my skin feels very balanced.

The first side effects I experienced from spiro was light headedness and a lofty feeling during the first two weeks.  This could have also been due to the mino.  After that, the feeling dissipated.  Also, my periods are heavier and I feel achier during that time of the month, but nothing too severe. 

AM- Wash face with Aveeno Gentle Foaming Cleanser and apply Sanitas Oil Free moisturizer

#34 snsdgirl14

snsdgirl14

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:17 AM

Hi, I'm so glad these medications are working so well for you! I'm thinking of trying Spiro and I wanted to know was it hard for you to get a prescription? It seems like a lot of people don't know that you can use Spiro for acne. 

[CURRENT REGIMEN]

AM:

Wash with La Roche-Posay Effaclar Foaming Gel (European version) + Clarisonic Mia

Apply CeraVe AM Moisturizer w/ SPF 30

Apply Aczone (dapsone) 

PM:

Wash with La Roche-Posay Effaclar Foaming Gel + Clarisonic Mia
Apply CeraVe PM Moisturizer 
Apply Epiduo (adapalene + benzoyl peroxide)
50 mg of Spironolactone 

[CURRENT STATUS]
90% clear

#35 pbajsandwich

pbajsandwich

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

Hi, I'm so glad these medications are working so well for you! I'm thinking of trying Spiro and I wanted to know was it hard for you to get a prescription? It seems like a lot of people don't know that you can use Spiro for acne. 

Sorry again for the late reply.  It was really easy for me to get a prescription.  She saw my face and knew I needed it!  The only hurdle I needed to jump through was a blood test to check my potassium levels.

Good luck starting Spiro!  It really changed my life.

The mino helped me quite a bit, although I seem to be having somewhat of a breakout now. I am not less oily though so I can't say the Spiro is working. The fact that you are less oily makes me think it is working for you and you could quit the mino and be fine.

You're right, I believe the oil level changes is being controlled by the spiro.  Has anything changed in the past couple of weeks?  My face is still at a normal oil level.

That's great that the Spiro worked so soon for you! I also saw results in the first 3 weeks with my oil, like you I had to wipe my face a few times a day and was so greasy by evening. However I dropped my dosage and it went back to oily! I'm back up to 100 now and hoping that it decreases the oil again soon. My Derm is concerned about my period disappearing... I don't mind not having a period, but I know it's not normal. It's weird because most people I hear on spiro get more frequent periods. Mine went away completely. After almost 2 months I got some spotting but that was it. The only other side effects I've had are occasional light headedness and a few minor muscle cramps when stretching. Maybe my period will work itself out... 

My period got heavier and longer when I started spiro.  Were you able to figure what's going on with your period?  I haven't really done any research on spiro's effect on one's period, so it would be great to hear others' experiences.

#36 lifeinfaith

lifeinfaith

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:52 PM

Sorry again for the late reply.  It was really easy for me to get a prescription.  She saw my face and knew I needed it!  The only hurdle I needed to jump through was a blood test to check my potassium levels.

Good luck starting Spiro!  It really changed my life.

>The mino helped me quite a bit, although I seem to be having somewhat of a breakout now. I am not less oily though so I can't say the Spiro is working. The fact that you are less oily makes me think it is working for you and you could quit the mino and be fine.

You're right, I believe the oil level changes is being controlled by the spiro.  Has anything changed in the past couple of weeks?  My face is still at a normal oil level.

My period got heavier and longer when I started spiro.  Were you able to figure what's going on with your period?  I haven't really done any research on spiro's effect on one's period, so it would be great to hear others' experiences.

Well...I am actually back down to 50mg now. I started feeling weird and getting muscle spasms on 100mg and even 75mg and it was making me lethargic. I am actually pretty much clear now...but I think mostly due to the retin-a-micro and extractions, as I am not sure my breakout was so hormonal related. I still have not had a period in months, even on 50mg. My derm told me if I am still clear in 8 weeks then we will drop down to 25 mg and then maybe off. I think its lowering my testosterone so much (mine was already on the low end) that the estrogen cant bind to it and therefore no ovulation. 

#37 collegeboy84

collegeboy84

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

I agree, your skin does look amazing. Awesome! It is always good to see when people find their personal remedy.

My 3 co2 laser fraxel:repair journal w/ photos-

http://www.acne.org/...s/#entry3248488

Good read-

#38 pbajsandwich

pbajsandwich

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

Well...I am actually back down to 50mg now. I started feeling weird and getting muscle spasms on 100mg and even 75mg and it was making me lethargic. I am actually pretty much clear now...but I think mostly due to the retin-a-micro and extractions, as I am not sure my breakout was so hormonal related. I still have not had a period in months, even on 50mg. My derm told me if I am still clear in 8 weeks then we will drop down to 25 mg and then maybe off. I think its lowering my testosterone so much (mine was already on the low end) that the estrogen cant bind to it and therefore no ovulation. 

Hey, that's great you can take a lower dosage and still be clear.  I too feel lethargic at times, but drinking more water and "forcing" myself to stay active have helped a lot.  What did your dermatologist say about getting off spiro?  Will the acne possibly return?

#39 pbajsandwich

pbajsandwich

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

I agree, your skin does look amazing. Awesome! It is always good to see when people find their personal remedy.

Thanks :)  Yeah, I have read success stories on here and it always makes me happy.

#40 lifeinfaith

lifeinfaith

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

She said there is a possibility of flare and that's why I would taper off. For people who have true hormonal acne though, I think a lot of times when they get off Spiro it comes back. She told me that sometimes you just need the Spiro to get you through a short time if maybe it was just a temporary hormonal change or stress induced. I have only have acne for the past 6 months and I actually concluded recently that it was probably caused by me trying the oil cleansing method for a few months right before. I found a blog with a bunch of women's stories about it messing up their skin and it was literally the exact same experience I had and exact timing....so I might not be the best testimony for using Spiro.

Hey, that's great you can take a lower dosage and still be clear.  I too feel lethargic at times, but drinking more water and "forcing" myself to stay active have helped a lot.  What did your dermatologist say about getting off spiro?  Will the acne possibly return?