Photo

Acne Is Not Caused By Diet

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#41 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

I did, pretty much lol. And I still had acne, so I basically concluded that derms are a waste of time. I had way better luck with the Regimen (sold on this site) and it's cheaper.

I follow the regimen's "science" but use my own products. I really love Marcelle cleansing milk and Philosophy gel cream moisturizer I usually follow this with retin- a and now I find my skin is fairly balanced and very "even" in tone (but that could also be the spiro). I see you like Asian BB creams? have you tried the Lioele one, it has the best coverage and the sebum control is fantastic. I paid 20 bucks for it online.

Sweet! Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that one as it isn't much more expensive than the skin 79 I'm using now (which is also great).

Drink cola and junk food everyday and see how your face explode.

Works fine for a lot of the population, food is more an issue for people that actually has acne. so fair to say it isn't an issue for everyone and isn't an absolute since the majority of the population doesn't suffer from acne. Plus the obvious, everyone is different. However, yes, you should try to eat a healthy diet

Agree so much. Acne is actually rare in the general adult population, even though a lot of people suffer from the disorder the adult majority don't experience many acne issus. How many people above the age of say 25 do you see on the street with severe acne on their face? few and far between is the answer.

Genetics influence everything and they're hard to change. You can fight against your genes.. but sometimes you lose the battle. My original post was intended to make people less inclined to blame themselves as a lot of people believe they have severe acne because of somthing they're doing or something they're eating ect.

It's sad, I feel like a lot of these alternative medicine people (on this forum) do more harm than good as they always try to tell acne sufferers to "cut out this, cut out that and take this" and basically point the finger at the victim. They always push the "leaky gut" business to high heaven too, *rolls eyes*.

Yeah I totally understand where you're coming from now. The only thing I ever disagreed with you on is food allergies being uncommon. Maybe I'm just extremely unlucky, but I do have quite a few real, serious food allergies and severe acne breakouts are just one of my symptoms. As far as leaky gut--I am torn. It was something I really believed in for a very long time. But I have to question, if that was my problem, why did nothing help? Why did a year + of being on the Paleo/gut healing diet do nothing? Why did my months and months of intensive probiotic therapy do NOTHING?

I feel now that I have to either 1) stop believing in leaky gut or 2) feel like all attempts to help my health have failed and accept that I'm probably going to die young.

It's obvious which choice is more pleasant of the two.

#42 broscience

broscience

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

So if acne is caused by hormones solely. Then what about cutting fat totally from diet? Because the DHEA hormone which converts to test and estro is made of cholesterol.

#43 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

No, we do good. Because the basics of the that clears skin, are how humans should eat and can prevent, reduce and reverse health conditions far more serious than acne. Not eating this way is the reason you are surrounded by sickly people and we have an outrageously profitable sick care system

The only issue is, eating a truly healthy diet has become so strange that quite a few epode can't do it without panicking over each and every food. That is the only part that's sad.

So if acne is caused by hormones solely. Then what about cutting fat totally from diet? Because the DHEA hormone which converts to test and estro is made of cholesterol.

Your body makes cholesterol. From carbs. And acne isn't caused solely by hormones.

Edited by alternativista, 02 March 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#44 darkheart

darkheart

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

I did, pretty much lol. And I still had acne, so I basically concluded that derms are a waste of time. I had way better luck with the Regimen (sold on this site) and it's cheaper.

I follow the regimen's "science" but use my own products. I really love Marcelle cleansing milk and Philosophy gel cream moisturizer I usually follow this with retin- a and now I find my skin is fairly balanced and very "even" in tone (but that could also be the spiro). I see you like Asian BB creams? have you tried the Lioele one, it has the best coverage and the sebum control is fantastic. I paid 20 bucks for it online.

Sweet! Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that one as it isn't much more expensive than the skin 79 I'm using now (which is also great).

Works fine for a lot of the population, food is more an issue for people that actually has acne. so fair to say it isn't an issue for everyone and isn't an absolute since the majority of the population doesn't suffer from acne. Plus the obvious, everyone is different. However, yes, you should try to eat a healthy diet

Agree so much. Acne is actually rare in the general adult population, even though a lot of people suffer from the disorder the adult majority don't experience many acne issus. How many people above the age of say 25 do you see on the street with severe acne on their face? few and far between is the answer.

Genetics influence everything and they're hard to change. You can fight against your genes.. but sometimes you lose the battle. My original post was intended to make people less inclined to blame themselves as a lot of people believe they have severe acne because of somthing they're doing or something they're eating ect.

It's sad, I feel like a lot of these alternative medicine people (on this forum) do more harm than good as they always try to tell acne sufferers to "cut out this, cut out that and take this" and basically point the finger at the victim. They always push the "leaky gut" business to high heaven too, *rolls eyes*.

Yeah I totally understand where you're coming from now. The only thing I ever disagreed with you on is food allergies being uncommon. Maybe I'm just extremely unlucky, but I do have quite a few real, serious food allergies and severe acne breakouts are just one of my symptoms. As far as leaky gut--I am torn. It was something I really believed in for a very long time. But I have to question, if that was my problem, why did nothing help? Why did a year + of being on the Paleo/gut healing diet do nothing? Why did my months and months of intensive probiotic therapy do NOTHING?

I feel now that I have to either 1) stop believing in leaky gut or 2) feel like all attempts to help my health have failed and accept that I'm probably going to die young.

I did Chinese medicine/alternate medicine for years too (the "damp heat" theory; leaky gut) to no avail. I took all the supplements, herbs, special teas, detoxed, probiotics, waterfasted, Low-GI - but it did absolutely nothing for my skin. It gave me a rockin" bod though, I was totally fit with a super tight stomach and I found I rarely ever got a cold or a flu (upped the immune system I guess).

I never believed my dermatologist when she said acne has absolutely nothing to do with diet - I thought she had to be wrong and that if I just did everything I could to improve my diet my skin would completely clear up but this wasn't the case.

A lot of naturalpaths look at acne as a sign of "sick organs" - bad liver, bad kidneys and impaired digestion but this simply isn't true.

#45 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

I did Chinese medicine/alternate medicine for years too (the "damp heat" theory; leaky gut) to no avail. I took all the supplements, herbs, special teas, detoxed, probiotics, waterfasted, Low-GI - but it did absolutely nothing for my skin. It gave me a rockin" bod though, I was totally fit with a super tight stomach and I found I rarely ever got a cold or a flu (upped the immune system I guess).

I never believed my dermatologist when she said acne has absolutely nothing to do with diet - I thought she had to be wrong and that if I just did everything I could to improve my diet my skin would completely clear up but this wasn't the case.

A lot of naturalpaths look at acne as a sign of "sick organs" - bad liver, bad kidneys and impaired digestion but this simply isn't true.

That last sentence there is true. Or partly true. Some people do have such problems. But mostly, it's that the diet followed by most people is lacking in disease fighting nutrients, inflammatory (which leads to disease), constantly elevates blood sugar which is inflammatory and screws up hormones and leads to disease. And in those with genetic tendencies that make them prone to acne, leads to acne.

#46 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

Why did my awesome diet not help me then?

#47 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

Why did my awesome diet not help me then?

Did you have an awesome diet? Because In the last few months you have been telling us about your eating disorder in which you voided 99% of foods and feared to drink water. Also, you told us that you had controlled your acne via diet, but it had just come back about a year ago.

And you have a number of unsolved, mystery health problems since childhood, do you not? you don't think you'd be worse off if you hadn't eaten well?

#48 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

I haven't been able to control my acne despite an "awesome" diet. BUT in my case I think it was due to the factors that 1) I had too much stress, and 2) I did most likely eat too many carbs than I could handle per meal, so I probably had elevated blood sugar at times. Thirdly, I should've exercised more and had a more regular sleeping pattern. My lifestyle on the whole wasn't that healthy, even though my diet was. I believe that sleep, stress, and exercise are at least as important, in fact probably more important than a good diet.

Focusing on diet is a double-edged sword, because if you start to control it too much, you just get stressed. It may start to restrict your life and could develop into an eating disorder. So it's hard to find the balance between being strict enough and not getting too neurotic about what you eat. Having had some experience with an eating disorder long ago, I'd rather err on the side of being too lax than strict.

#49 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

I haven't been able to control my acne despite an "awesome" diet. BUT in my case I think it was due to the factors that 1) I had too much stress, and 2) I did most likely eat too many carbs than I could handle per meal, so I probably had elevated blood sugar at times. Thirdly, I should've exercised more and had a more regular sleeping pattern. My lifestyle on the whole wasn't that healthy, even though my diet was. I believe that sleep, stress, and exercise are at least as important, in fact probably more important than a good diet.

Focusing on diet is a double-edged sword, because if you start to control it too much, you just get stressed. It may start to restrict your life and could develop into an eating disorder. So it's hard to find the balance between being strict enough and not getting too neurotic about what you eat. Having had some experience with an eating disorder long ago, I'd rather err on the side of being too lax than strict.

Yes, sleep, stress and exercise are just as important. And you should not stress about your diet.

#50 tritonxiv

tritonxiv

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

Some people suffer allergic-like reactions to very specific food groups. This might manifest itself as cystic acne in those individuals. Dairy, citrus, and gluten come to mind. 

Others like myself, have zero reaction to food, but horrible reactions to the body's post orgasm processes. Avoid/limiting orgasms clears me 100%. Everyone is different when it comes to their specific trigger.

Pretending to understand why these things occur is only useful as a hobby. For the rest of us, we'll take the practical approach, stick with what works, and get on with our lives. If diet works for you, fantastic. If not, figure something else out or learn to deal with it.

Edited by tritonxiv, 02 March 2013 - 07:57 PM.

#51 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

Yes but I was only driven to insanity to the point of eating disorder because of the fact that a more balanced, complex nutrient rich diet didn't help my acne. I'm not saying food hasn't helped my body at all, but my skin just seems to progressively get worse as I go on. Like I'm beating back a monster that will never stop.

#52 darkheart

darkheart

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

Some people suffer allergic-like reactions to very specific food groups. This might manifest itself as cystic acne in those individuals. Dairy, citrus, and gluten come to mind. 

Others like myself, have zero reaction to food, but horrible reactions to the body's post orgasm processes. Avoid/limiting orgasms clears me 100%. Everyone is different when it comes to their specific trigger.

Pretending to understand why these things occur is only useful as a hobby. For the rest of us, we'll take the practical approach, stick with what works, and get on with our lives. If diet works for you, fantastic. If not, figure something else out or learn to deal with it.

You do realize there are children/virgins out there with acne? I don't think the great mighty "Orgasm" is a factor. Dear lord... the dumbness of some people is astounding.

#53 darkheart

darkheart

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:13 PM

Yes but I was only driven to insanity to the point of eating disorder because of the fact that a more balanced, complex nutrient rich diet didn't help my acne. I'm not saying food hasn't helped my body at all, but my skin just seems to progressively get worse as I go on. Like I'm beating back a monster that will never stop.

I'm sorry that you went into an E.D... I did too years ago. I kept trying to eat as healthy as possible and kept thinking I wasn't doing enough and got paranoid to the point I was afraid to eat it all. Lot's of girls and even guys develop eating disorders or "severely restrictive" eating patterns because of acne. Which f*cks up their life even more and leads to an awful round of neverending self blame.

http://youtu.be/PLjyi_p3BOQ

Take a look at this video (if you haven't seen it already):

#54 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

I agree with the sentiment that people shouldn't beat themselves up over having acne or if they don't have success with diet, and that people should steer clear of the 100% cures and people who rack it all up to leaky gut, candida, demodex mites, or whatever else.

That being said, you haven't exactly linked any evidence that absolutely establishes no link between diet and acne. It's sort of ironic that you're so sure of the etiology of acne to the point where you can't have an open discussion about it. In that sense, you're not so different from the very people you're criticizing for misleading people. People like polarized, clear cut answers, but the reality is that the body is extremely complicated. Disease is complicated.

Your username should be Canadianheart, since you have so many posts belittling us stoooopid 'Muricans tongue.png

Edited by tim12, 02 March 2013 - 11:36 PM.

#55 darkheart

darkheart

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:04 AM

I agree with the sentiment that people shouldn't beat themselves up over having acne or if they don't have success with diet, and that people should steer clear of the 100% cures and people who rack it all up to leaky gut, candida, demodex mites, or whatever else.

That being said, you haven't exactly linked any evidence that absolutely establishes no link between diet and acne. It's sort of ironic that you're so sure of the etiology of acne to the point where you can't have an open discussion about it. In that sense, you're not so different from the very people you're criticizing for misleading people. People like polarized, clear cut answers, but the reality is that the body is extremely complicated. Disease is complicated.

Your username should be Canadianheart, since you have so many posts belittling us stoooopid 'Muricans tongue.png

Acne is not *caused* by diet. Whether or not it gets aggravated by particular foods in certain people is up for debate as everyones internal chemistry is different. But food allergies that create cystic pimples are sort of uncommon - usually you would devlop "hives". That's just what I meant. I think my original post got misconstrued because I didn't  detail it well enough.

It is complex ... but, it all comes back to how our bodies react to hormonal internal chemistry (as acne is a hormonal disease, as Dan even says).

I'm not belitting American's? lol. I have nothing against them.

#56 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

Acne isn't caused by any one thing--for most people. There are people like alternavista who found very specific food triggers, such as soda and citrus. Then there are people like tritonxiv who react badly post-orgasm. It wouldn't be fair to say orgasm has nothing to do with it just because there are children with acne any more than it would be fair to say that gluten is a factor just because some people can eat it and be fine. If I eat gluten I get explosive nodular acne not to mention horrible stomach problems, blackouts, crying fits and other crazy mood disturbances. I believe tritonxiv that he gets a bad reaction to orgasm.

I think for most of us, we have 5-10 major triggers and it's very difficult to get them all in alignment to have good skin.

#57 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

You do realize there are children/virgins out there with acne? I don't think the great mighty "Orgasm" is a factor. Dear lord... the dumbness of some people is astounding.

Try not to be so close-minded. He said some people get acne as a result of having orgasms, but he never said everyone who has acne does. I've seen some of his posts and I can assure you he is not dumb, and you shouldn't be calling people dumb on this forum.

#58 Foreverhealthy

Foreverhealthy

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

Nope sorry, it is. Acne is 100% a symptom of bad eating I don't care what you stubborn people say it is. And a leaky gut is definitely real and causes all forms of acne and other diseases all the time. Doctors and Dermatologists deny this because they'd be *out of business* if people found out. Stop lying to yourselves. Become a raw vegan and stay away from dairy! and your acne will be no more.

#59 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:47 AM

I tend to agree with this. In fact, I think my acne got worse due to following a strict diet because I was so god damned stressed all the time! I think stress is much more of a problem than diet (same with lack of sleep). Not eating much (because lets be honest, veggies do not fill you up or give you the required calories, and eating too much fat/meat could be causing me acne), makes you feel anxious all the time. 

#60 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

Nope sorry, it is. Acne is 100% a symptom of bad eating I don't care what you stubborn people say it is. And a leaky gut is definitely real and causes all forms of acne and other diseases all the time. Doctors and Dermatologists deny this because they'd be *out of business* if people found out. Stop lying to yourselves. Become a raw vegan and stay away from dairy! and your acne will be no more.

No that isn't true either. Diet is just a huge factor that affects every other factor involved in the many processes that lead to the symptom of acne, but it isn't 100%. Just like it isn't 100% of the cause of type II diabetes.. And raw vegan has little to do with it. You can be one and still eat a bad diet.