6 replies to this topic

#1 samui

samui

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

Hi All

I am interested to hear if anyone here thinks that their mineral makeup causes acne and  makes them break out.

I know that mineral makeup is often touted as being non comodogenic because of it's ingrdients but I have been finding that after a few days use of several different types of powder mineral makeup I've tried I still get some very nasty spots.

I just wonder if because mineral makeup has such fine particles these actually settle more within the pores, mix with natural oils and clog pores. I have also read differing opinions on whether mica (often main component of mineral makeup) is really non comodogenic.

Anyone had any similar experiences?

#2 MarnieMarie

MarnieMarie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

There are a few culprits in some mineral makeup brands that while technically non-comedogenic can often irritate sensitive skin. Cornstarch is in a lot of them (sometimes called Zea-Mays starch in cosmetics) and is not technically a pore-clogger but acts as a food source for acne bacteria which can aggravate breakouts. Mica and Talc I have heard are often irritating as well and are both super common. Also mineral oil is often included (it's in most BareMinerals products) and although it's technically non-comedogenic because the skin doesn't absorb it, some people find it clogs them anyways. Personally I have no problems with certain highly comedogenic ingredients (SLS, coconut oil, etc) but the mineral oil in BareMinerals made my acne worse for years. I know there was also Ethylhexyl Palmitate (rated a 4/5 on the comedogenic ingredients list) in my very expensive Elizabeth Arden loose powder.

That being said, mineral makeups can be great- theres a million out there, and you may just want to narrow down the list by figuring out which particular ingredients are breaking you out. Always check the ingredients regardless of whether it says non-comedogenic or not (the regulations for that label are slim to none). One of those is probably the culprit!

Also, remember that acne doesn't get better overnight, and makeup rarely improves acne, it usually is just neutral- non pore clogging, non-irritating, and causes no new breakouts. If your old makeup was super comedogenic switching to mineral powder may be a great step, but it could take a while to see a change. 

Edited by MarnieMarie, 27 February 2013 - 12:07 AM.

#3 sh1234

sh1234

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

You have to be careful of what mineral makeup you use because some companies who make mineral makeup like powders still have bad things in them so they are no better for you (i think the covergirl mineral power powder or whoever makes it? has those bad ingredients in it, so does pur minerals). The best mineral makeup you can buy is Jane Iredale. Also the physicians formula mineral wear powders are safe too

#4 samui

samui

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:55 AM

Thanks for your replies.

I've checked the ingredients again on the mineral powder I am using at the moment (Body Shop Extra Virgin Minerals) and the only ingredients are

Mica (Opacifier), Titanium Dioxide (Sunscreen), Kaolin (Absorbent), Illite (Anticaking Agent). [+/- CI 77492 (Colour), CI 77491 (Colour), CI 77499 (Colour), CI 77891 (Colour)].

I am not sure what ingredient is the problem but I am pretty sure it is the makeup causing the acne as it only normally flares up after about 3-4 days of continuous usage. No makeup seems to equal no acne.

#5 RaineAngel

RaineAngel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

Has anyone tried products from Mirabella Beauty *Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. * I would love to know if they won't cause my acne to breakout again.

#6 Calumma

Calumma

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:33, Mom of 2 boys

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:20 AM

Mica can be a problem and worsen acne. The use of the kabuki brush was also irritating my face a lot
Successfully on "the regimen" from age 12 to 33 for cystic acne
 Now:
 100mg spironolactone since 08/13
Paula's Choice BHA 2%,
Green Cream 6 Retinol

Acne free and already almost free of hyperpigmentation, discolorations and wrinkles

#7 Morgo K

Morgo K

Skincare enthusiast

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

Lots of mineral makeup contains bismuth oxychloride which you should definitely stay away from as it can cause cystic breakouts

Morning Routine:

- Avene Soapless Gel Cleanser

- Boots Time Delay AHA Toner

- Boots Botanics Rosewater Toning Spritz

- Hyaluronic Acid Serum (homemade)

- Hazelnut oil with rosemary + clary sage (on acne prone areas)

- Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Cream (10% Glycolic Acid)

- SK:N Sunscreen SPF 30

- W7 Camera Ready Primer

Evening Routine:

- Lush Ultrabland + Washcloth 

- Soap & Glory ULTIMELT Hot Cloth Cleanser + Washcloth

- Boots Time Delay AHA Toner

- Differin 0.1% cream 

- Hazelnut oil with rosemary + clary sage (stops oil production)

- Vitamin C Serum (also homemade) OR

- Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair serum

Once/Twice a week:

- Green Clay Mask (+ salicylic acid)

- Exfoliate with No7 skin cleansing brush

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users