Photo

Psychosomatic Acne

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 luizedu

luizedu

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

I started reading Skin Deep, a book that deals with the effect of psychology on skin disorders, after someone here in the forum recommended it and noticed this psychosomatic medicine a topic I've never seen anyone talk about here.

Given we all share similar skin problems, I'm curious to know how many of you share the psychological traits described, such as the 11 causes for skin problems (in 2. Listening to your skin). It would also be nice to have your opinion on this, if it is just quackery or something worth looking into.

Though it does seem harder than simply changing one's diets, for those of us who have already tried different paths of the holistic treatment with limited or no success, it may be worth it.

#2 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

What exactly are the psychological traits listed from skin deep?

#3 luizedu

luizedu

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

He lists 11 causes for skin disorders, that may be diagnosed by "listening" to what your skin has to say. It's worth reading their explanation in the book to understand them better.

The list is as follows:

1. Your skin is crying out for love and protection

2. Your skin is raging

3. Your skin is trying to control

4. Your skin is playing sexual policeman

5. Your skin is trying to rewrite history

6. Your skin is suffering for love

7. Your skin is loyal

8. Your skin is remembering

9. Your skin is telling forbidden truths

10. Your skin is trying to stop time

11. Your skin is telling the world you're not perfect

#4 Riddled

Riddled

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

Never underestimate the power of the mind. Without reading it properly i can't comment on the methods listed in the given link but i have no doubt that the role that the state of our minds plays with our over all health is underplayed by the medical community.

Not sure how it affects our skin but remember that we have a gut brain axis so everything is interconnected.

Happiness and health are well correlated so i imagine skin would be too.

In general people who live the longest tend to be those who don't dwell on things etc.

Our past ancestors and those who still live in tribes etc had/have much simpler lives. No worrying about stupid things like  "Do i have the right clothes/car/house/etc?" Things like bills, debts etc.

"Development" comes at a price.

God gave us everything we need; the earth to live on, animals to feast on, vegetables to make side dishes and fruit to be eaten in moderation.

The devil put grains, beats and sugarcane on the earth to tempt us.

For approximately 2.5 million to 10,000 years ago most of us strayed away from temptation but the devils influence grew stronger and eventually we swayed to his evil ways.

God new that those whose faith was strong would never fall to temptation so he punished those who took to the pleasures of grains and sugar by not giving us the ability to digest grains and making sugar poisonous, eventually leading to all kinds of health problems including acne.

But some wanted there cake and to eat it too, free of health problems, so they made a pact with the devil and sold their soul's for acne free skin.

We see these people consuming delicious breaded, dough based meals, baked goods and confectioneries but with crystal clear skin.
These people are walking with the devil!!
They are the spawn of satan!!

Paleo is the righteous path my children!!

Your faith must be strong!!

Do not fall to temptation!!

Posted Image

blind
faith
is the
key

#5 luizedu

luizedu

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

Never underestimate the power of the mind. Without reading it properly i can't comment on the methods listed in the given link but i have no doubt that the role that the state of our minds plays with our over all health is underplayed by the medical community.

Not sure how it affects our skin but remember that we have a gut brain axis so everything is interconnected.

Happiness and health are well correlated so i imagine skin would be too.

In general people who live the longest tend to be those who don't dwell on things etc.

Our past ancestors and those who still live in tribes etc had/have much simpler lives. No worrying about stupid things like  "Do i have the right clothes/car/house/etc?" Things like bills, debts etc.

"Development" comes at a price.

The interesting thing is that the author deals with much more than just the relation stress-acne. The book advocates that even things that you have incorporated into your vision of yourself may be the cause of your skin problem. For example, something that deeply marked you in your infancy, or your behavior towards love, protection and sex.

Edited by luizedu, 25 February 2013 - 06:40 PM.

#6 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:34 AM

I will have to read this book

#7 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

This book looks interesting. Thanks for sharing. I don't doubt that my chronic acne problems are both a manifestation of something deeply emotional AND a symptom of physical imbalance (food allergies, gut damage, hormone imbalance, etc). It's both.

Current Skin-Care Regimen (A work in progress):

Morning:

Gentle wash with DKR cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The  lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Skin 79 Korean BB Cream (excellent stuff)

Evening:

Gentle Wash with DKR Cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil

#8 Baladii

Baladii

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:33 AM

I just posted this in the emotional health portion of forums. =) I hope this information proves to be valuable for everyone on some level. I have come to believe that even though we are all complex, unique creatures with different circumstances and biology there is ALWAYS an underlying emotional component to skin diseases.