Antibiotics And Sore Throats

antibiotics antibiotics and sore throats

2 replies to this topic

#1 sherinfernando

sherinfernando

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Basically I love life and I love living life. I enjoy the outdoors, traveling, restaurants, laughing, going to cultural events, and socializing with quality people. Its just better living and sharing life with someone else

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

A few earlier studies have suggested a connection between antibiotic therapy for acne and an increased risk of a sore throat. But the new research is the first that follows patients over time, Margolis and colleagues write. The researchers conducted two studies. The first study looked at college students who met with researchers at single visits in January and February 2007.

In this study, 10 of 15 students taking oral antibiotics for acne reported having a sore throat in the previous month, while only 47 of 130 students who had acne but weren't on oral antibiotics did.

The second study followed a separate group of close to 600 students for several visits over the 2007-2008 school year. Of that group, 36 took oral antibiotics for acne, while 96 used topical antibiotics for acne. About 11% of the students taking oral antibiotics for acne said they had gone to the health center for a sore throat, compared to only about 3% of the other students. The students using topical antibiotics were no more likely to report having a sore throat than those who weren't on any antibiotic therapy.

*Moderator edit - URL removed. Please read the board rules*

#2 melmel87

melmel87

melle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

A few earlier studies have suggested a connection between antibiotic therapy for acne and an increased risk of a sore throat. But the new research is the first that follows patients over time, Margolis and colleagues write. The researchers conducted two studies. The first study looked at college students who met with researchers at single visits in January and February 2007.

In this study, 10 of 15 students taking oral antibiotics for acne reported having a sore throat in the previous month, while only 47 of 130 students who had acne but weren't on oral antibiotics did.

The second study followed a separate group of close to 600 students for several visits over the 2007-2008 school year. Of that group, 36 took oral antibiotics for acne, while 96 used topical antibiotics for acne. About 11% of the students taking oral antibiotics for acne said they had gone to the health center for a sore throat, compared to only about 3% of the other students. The students using topical antibiotics were no more likely to report having a sore throat than those who weren't on any antibiotic therapy.

I would imagine that if you're developing a sore throat while taking antibiotics it's due to acid problems in the stomach and acid coming up the throat, especially at night.

#3 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

A healthy person has a natural balance between good bacteria and fungus in the digestive system. Antibiotics kill all good bacteria, which makes it easy for the fungus to proliferate and the fungal level to get too high. You can get many cold symptoms from fungus, such as a sore throat. Google "sinusitis fungal Mayo Clinic" for the latest research on how many sinus/cold issues are actually fungal, not bacterial, and how antibiotics can make them worse. 

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users