Photo

Almost 2 Weeks On "healthy" Diet, No Improvement. $$$ Reward For Successful Advice!

probiotic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#21 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

Read this Quackwatch article about kinesiology before taking it seriously. If after reading all of that evidence you stil want to go for it...more power to you I guess. eusa_think.gif

The concepts of applied kinesiology do not conform to scientific facts about the causes or treatment of disease. Controlled studies have found no difference between the results with test substances and with placebos. Differences from one test to another may be due to suggestibility, distraction, variations in the amount of force or leverage involved, and/or muscle fatigue. If you encounter a practitioner who relies on AK muscle-testing for diagnosis, head for the nearest exit. Meanwhile, it would help if science-based kinesiologists would stop referring to what they do as "applied kinesiology."

Edited by Green Gables, 24 February 2013 - 12:25 PM.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#22 winter09

winter09

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

I tend not to beleive in  everything I  read, I have read in  many places that diet has nothing to do with acne yeah right!

There are alot of quacks out there so you have to find the right nutritionist that knows what there doing, I totally beleive in this technique other members in my family have used this Dr for many years and swear by him dont knock it until you try it!

like I said  in the other post seeing is beleiving and my sons face is getting clearer by the day and its only been 2 weeks

#23 Riddled

Riddled

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

Op there is a hell of a lot of info on these forums kindly provided without cost that many take and exploit to then sell their own eBooks etc. If someone does give you the final piece of your puzzle or you do find your answer on these forums i would think it would be better to donate some money to charity, if you happen to have it spare. But each to their own i guess.

Remember "one man's meat is another man's poison".

Some of us do best on all meat and fat, some of us do best on all fruit and veg, some of us do best on plenty of starches. No matter what some people may claim, there is no "One size fits all" SUPER DUPER healthy diet

There is such a long list of possible things to try out, on a trial and error basis, that if you make things too much "shotgun" [as i know only too well] even if you do manage to clear your skin, you may not actually be able to isolate what the significant factor was, not that that will matter in the short term.

The low GI, low carb, blood stabilising thing works for many, but not everyone. I can't imagine maintaining a low GI, low GL diet can really be a bad thing but for some people like me i think the coincidental aspects that come with such diets, such as more fats rather than carbs can be a problem acne wise. For now probably a good idea to keep away from sugar anyway, it may not be as bad as many now say but it doesn't really have any nutritional value apart from from energy, which can't be got from most other food sources easily anyway.

For me and i know for some others [guys especially] saturated fats seem to make my skin worse, not sure why, maybe hormonal etc, not sure if it is just saturated fats or all fats. This is why whenever i have tried "Healthy" diets, "paleo" type stuff in the past it hasn't done anything for my skin, if not made it worse.

I'm pretty sure coconut and coconut oil breaks me out. Pretty sure fatty meats break me out. Other things i may have noticed some correlation with are: chocolate, high fat dairy - cheese,  ice cream etc, nuts [not sure if all types]. Probably other can't think of off the top of my head.

If you haven't tried it already you could try a Ketogenic, atkins type diet just for a few weeks, in the name of science if for nothing else, just to see what happens. Personally it didn't work and i had other stuff happen, but if your skin does improve on this type of diet it may be an indication that you are better off with a low GI, low carb diet and that fats certainly aren't a problem [i presume your staying away from the dreaded Pufas]. Ketogenic diets do seem to clear some people that try them for other reasons.

If you see no improvement or changes with a ketogenic/atkins type diet you could then try the classic low fat, high veg type thing, which isn't that far from what your doing now anyway. As much veg as you want, lean meats etc. I'm sure low fat for a few weeks wont kill you and it may point you closer to know what's going on.

For God knows what reasons, as well as helping many peoples skin, probiotics also break others out, just as with Fish oils and just about everything else.

GL.

God gave us everything we need; the earth to live on, animals to feast on, vegetables to make side dishes and fruit to be eaten in moderation.

The devil put grains, beats and sugarcane on the earth to tempt us.

For approximately 2.5 million to 10,000 years ago most of us strayed away from temptation but the devils influence grew stronger and eventually we swayed to his evil ways.

God new that those whose faith was strong would never fall to temptation so he punished those who took to the pleasures of grains and sugar by not giving us the ability to digest grains and making sugar poisonous, eventually leading to all kinds of health problems including acne.

But some wanted there cake and to eat it too, free of health problems, so they made a pact with the devil and sold their soul's for acne free skin.

We see these people consuming delicious breaded, dough based meals, baked goods and confectioneries but with crystal clear skin.
These people are walking with the devil!!
They are the spawn of satan!!

Paleo is the righteous path my children!!

Your faith must be strong!!

Do not fall to temptation!!

Posted Image

blind
faith
is the
key

#24 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

I don't think you can exclude stress just because your skin didn't improve during a 6-week holiday. Often when I'm stressed, it takes months of trying to take things slower before I start to feel completely back to normal (i.e. feeling unstressed). And in a similar way, it takes months before my skin radically improves. Although I think I'm fairly sensitive to stress, more so than the average person. When I had a year off from school, I had amazing skin and naively assumed my skin issues to be history. After starting fairly intensive studies at university, I still had clear skin for about six months and then suddenly the stress started to take its toll and I got inflamed acne again. I'm still working on how to get rid of it - holidays have helped but they haven't been long enough to resolve my skin issues. So the changes due to stress can be surprisingly slow.

But anyway, I'm not saying dealing with stress would solve your problem, but considering something like daily meditation on top of other lifestyle factors may be a good idea. I'm trying to meditate 30 minutes a day, although more often than not I forget or am too impatient. I also try to get 9-10 hours of sleep a night, as poor sleep has a clear effect on my skin.

Regarding diet, I'd go with what alexisc and alternavista recommend and see if that has an effect after 1-3 months. Good luck!

Where is your acne primarily located on your face? 

Is it small papules, or red inflamed pustules? or cysts under the skin? Or do these vary by their location? 

I believe in chinese face mapping for acne.. it has really helped me understand why I'm getting it in certain spots and how to fix it. 

It's been true for me and friends as well. 

Do you have any good sources for more information? I'd be interested to know more about facial mapping and Traditional Chinese Medicine regarding acne.

#25 alexisc

alexisc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

I don't think you can exclude stress just because your skin didn't improve during a 6-week holiday. Often when I'm stressed, it takes months of trying to take things slower before I start to feel completely back to normal (i.e. feeling unstressed). And in a similar way, it takes months before my skin radically improves. Although I think I'm fairly sensitive to stress, more so than the average person. When I had a year off from school, I had amazing skin and naively assumed my skin issues to be history. After starting fairly intensive studies at university, I still had clear skin for about six months and then suddenly the stress started to take its toll and I got inflamed acne again. I'm still working on how to get rid of it - holidays have helped but they haven't been long enough to resolve my skin issues. So the changes due to stress can be surprisingly slow.

But anyway, I'm not saying dealing with stress would solve your problem, but considering something like daily meditation on top of other lifestyle factors may be a good idea. I'm trying to meditate 30 minutes a day, although more often than not I forget or am too impatient. I also try to get 9-10 hours of sleep a night, as poor sleep has a clear effect on my skin.

Regarding diet, I'd go with what alexisc and alternavista recommend and see if that has an effect after 1-3 months. Good luck!

Where is your acne primarily located on your face? 

Is it small papules, or red inflamed pustules? or cysts under the skin? Or do these vary by their location? 

I believe in chinese face mapping for acne.. it has really helped me understand why I'm getting it in certain spots and how to fix it. 

It's been true for me and friends as well. 

Do you have any good sources for more information? I'd be interested to know more about facial mapping and Traditional Chinese Medicine regarding acne.

I don't have any solid points of reference, just everything I've collected reading through websites and seeing how myself and friends reacted to different things. 

From my understanding the forehead corresponds with the digestive system and small intestine, the middle forehead between the eyes relates to the liver, the chin near the corner of the lips relates to the large intestine, the middle of the chin to gynelogical problems, etc. The ones that have been extremely true for me and friends are the forehead and sides of the chin. There is a lot of conflicting information on the internet but I try to find the most credible site or what most sites agree upon for the face mapping. A lot of people think it is not accurate but I really think it is personally! There is also information out there on the type of acne and how that can correspond to different problems too.

This is a great website with some information but take it all with a grain of salt: 

http://www.thelovevi...ats-causing-it/

Love and accept yourself for exactly who you are right now. 

25, female, moderate acne since age 12. 

Accutane at least 6 times.
Intolerances: corn & wheat & alcohol.

100% clear, if I follow the diet.

"the absence of flaw within beauty, is itself a flaw."

#26 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:08 AM

Thanks for that. :) My problem areas are cheeks which don't seem to have a clear cause according to TCM. Or well, bad lungs, but I don't know how I could improve that since I don't smoke. More cardio, perhaps.

I'm not sure how accurate TCM is, but it does seem to have a lot of wisdom on how lifestyle and diet and mental factors ("worrying" etc) could contribute to certain types of disease based on centuries of experience, and I think there could something to learn from it. 

#27 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

Besides diet one should also look into topicals that shrink the pores B5, B3/niacinamide, green tea, etc.

#28 oakleyshades

oakleyshades

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:39 AM

Thanks for all the replies! I've been going through a lot of information recently trying to figure out what seems the most credible (browsing the forums/other sites, etc) Right now my diet is as follows it excludes dairy, grains, sugar (even from fruit), nuts and includes fats, meat, fish, vegetables:

Breakfast: 

3 Egg Omelette cooked in Olive Oil w/ 1/4 Avocado, Cilantro, and Salsa - This tastes delicious and as far as I'm concerned the ingredients should not cause any acne. (I know eggs are sometimes digestive irritants but I've never felt any symptoms of cramping, bloating, gas, etc.) 

Lunch:

Dinner Leftovers, or Baked Chicken tossed in Frank's Hot Sauce mixed with romain lettuce. (Also tastes super good Frank's Hot Sauce only has Aged Cayenne Red Peppers, Distilled Vinegar, Water, Salt, Natural Flavor and Garlic Powder so I can't see this causing acne)

Dinner:

Varies each day, Steak and Asparagus, Mahi Mahi w/ Cilantro and Broccoli, Carrot, Cauliflower Blend, Baked Beef Loaf w/ Green Onions and Carrots. 

Snacks:

kale chips, green tea, water

Results: So I've been following this updated diet since Sunday so thats 4 days on this diet. The diet is void of anything popularly documented causes of acne no diary,no nuts, no grains, and no sugar including fruit.

The diet is definitely changing my body, dramatically, within the 4 days (I was following a similar diary and grain free diet but I have now cut out sugars and nuts see first posting) My body fat has dramatically been reduced. I went from I'd say about 10% bodyfat with 4 visible abdominal muscles to about 8% with visibile 6 pack. I'm able to get more restful sleep and seem slightly more attentive/engaged in class. I also seem to be growing more facial/body hair faster (which would indicate its having an effect on my hormones, probably positive?)

Now for the good stuff:, My left cheek has seemed to have cleared of any active acne. All that remains is the fading red spots but the skin itself seems smoother and healing. Acne on my right check is still present but pustules were typically the size of a blunt pencil tip are now super tiny, much like a sharpened pencil tip.

Here's the bad: I haven't had a bowel movement since sunday. *I feel absolutely no discomfort at all*. I'm eating plenty of food volume, drinking water, and eating plenty of high fiber vegetables (avocados, broccoli, carrots) So I'm a little nervous as to where all this food is going? Is it possible that my body is utilizing all the components/nutrients from the food I'm eating? Am I not taking in enough calories and in a deficit since I workout almost daily? Before this diet I literally ate vegetables a handful of times a year so is my digestive system (gut flora) just soaking up all these long awaited nutrients? I know the body typically takes a while to adjust to a paleo diet and I'm in no pain at all. 

-Also I've started to develop some more chest acne (which I typically had a little bit off but I have more now) as well as broke out on my neck, this is mostly redness but it goes as low as my adam's apple which seems to be the furthest I've ever seen it. Could this be related to an increase/balance of hormonal levels from dietary change?

-I'm going home this weekend and I will be getting drunk with my friends atleast one night. I'm worried this will throw off my diet so I'm going to try and stay as paleo as possible but I may have to cheat in the airport/airplane. 

So to sum up all my questions: 

*My diet is virtually perfect right? I can't really exclude anything else and I feel like I'm eating a diverse amount of vegetables and omega 3's to be anti-inflammatory

*Increased body/facial hair, is this a good or bad sign (raised testosterone levels?)?

*Acne looks smaller on face but breaking out on chest and kneck, what could this be attributed to (hormonal change?)

*Lack of Bowel Movements, typical on starting paleo, no pain/discomfort should I be concerned?

#29 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:10 AM

Use egg whites and get some fiber in from oatmeal, sweet potato etc. will help with the bowel movement. Also what topicals are u using?

#30 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

Your diet sounds pretty good to me. But if you still break out after a few weeks, you might want to consider being even more careful with your omega 3/6 balance. 3 eggs do contain quite a lot of omega 6, so possibly cutting it down to 2 eggs per day while taking cod liver oil could help. But this isn't most likely necessary, and since your diet is so strict already, it would be hard to start being very neurotic about this too. Just if you're still having inflamed acne with your current diet after some time, you may consider focusing on omega3/6 to cool down inflammation. This is basically what I'm trying to do now with my annoying break outs, since it has helped in the past. I hope it helps this time too. 

Normally just avoiding vegetable oils high in omega-6 and using olive oil, butter, or coconut oil for cooking and maybe having some cod liver oil is more or less enough when it comes to omega3/6. 

And if you start losing your sleep, feeling like you're stressed, losing energy etc, then you may be having too few carbohydrates and may want to consider adding some more.

Edit: never mind anything I said about avocados. I just bothered to check its fatty acid profile, and it seems to contain mostly monounsaturated fat which is perfectly fine. 

Edited by austra, 01 March 2013 - 07:33 AM.

#31 Jug

Jug

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

Get more raw organic fruits and veggies in your diet. Avoid dairy and meat packed with hormones and eat more salads with olive oil as a dressing. Use products like sea salt and baking soda to wash your face perform the oil pulling exercise on a daily basis. Defiantly work with using ACV and aztec healing clay (it works wonders). Your body acne could possibly be linked to the soap you use in your shower. I recommend using an organic shampoo (use every other day) and a chemical free body soap. I use a bar of dead sea mud. Use a Lastly keep a positive attitude. Imagine yourself with clear skin and never let it drag you down. You will be surprised what your mind can do.

That's my 2 cents. 

Edited by Jug, 28 February 2013 - 12:56 PM.