58 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_foxtrotter_*

Guest_foxtrotter_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

Deleting my acct. good luck to those of you on here! Hope to never come back ;p

Edited by foxtrotter, 18 May 2013 - 10:08 PM.

#2 monopoly

monopoly

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

Excited for you! That's the same dosage and generic brand I was given (makes no difference) and I encourage you to take pictures to track your progress. Stay hydrated, buy lip balm as it'll become your new best friend!

#3 cheezycakes

cheezycakes

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

I think claravis should do the trick for you. Don't be concerned if you flare up a little at the beginning. I didn't have an IB with Retin A and thought I wouldn't with accutane, but I did. It goes away. Once you notice flaking/peeling, your skin should improve shortly afterwards. 

I agree with the poster above, definitely get some lip balm (I'm using aquaphor). Also make sure you take your pills with some food. Accutane is lipophilic, meaning it's dissolved in fat and will absorb significantly better with food. You risk underdosing if you take it with an empty stomach. You can read this on the claravis pamphlet on your box of medicine. 

Also being that you're a girl, I would encourage you to plan your doctor's visits and bloodwork/pregnancy tests well in advance (bloodwork takes several days to process). You don't want to be missing a week of medication because of some delay. I know how difficult the ipledge system is for women. 

Looking forward to your future updates and good luck! I'm really happy for you!

Edited by pleogsk, 20 February 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#4 Guest_foxtrotter_*

Guest_foxtrotter_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

Thanks you guys! I appreciate the feedback and advice! I will surely be taking pics of my progress. I'm just a little worried about the public-ness of it since I plan to keep my accutane kind of a secret. So scared for how bad this IB is gonna get but I will for sure stay positive.

What dosage and month are you all at? And have you guys changed anything about your diet?

Also what face wash and moisturizer do you use? I'm using purpose at the moment but I am open to other suggestions for when I run out!

#5 monopoly

monopoly

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

Don't worry about going out in public and having your acne look bad for 2 reasons: you might not even go through the IB (not everyone experiences it), and if you do, remember that for every day of having worse acne, you are one step closer to clearer skin. I stopped accutane a year ago, it worked wonders for me. While on Accutane I decided to go vegan/vegetarian and it has been a wonderful experience for me. I just wanted to stop consuming all the hormones and antibiotics found in meat products and dairy, it's really gross and sad if you do your research. That reminds me, make sure to take Accutane on a full stomach, have it with your dinner or something, it won't work as well on an empty stomach because it's best absorbed with food. Along with my diet change I also decided to stop using CRAP in my products. Everything I use is all natural, I use a lot of the Burt's Bees line and am happy with it. I also use Desert Essence. There should be no reason for alcohol in your products, esp on Accutane when you'll be dryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! 

GL, excited for you!!! :)

#6 cheezycakes

cheezycakes

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

I'm on my 5th month of 60 mg/day. I haven't changed my diet at all because it doesn't make a difference for me. I was really shy about my acne during the IB and stayed indoors a lot. 

I agree with monopoly- being on accutane is a good time to ramp down on the harsh cleansers. I'm just using cetaphil gentle wash twice a day and moisturizing with Cerave cream. Before accutane, I was using a boatload of salicylic acid/sulfur/benzoyl peroxide washes. Being on accutane is a good time to give your skin a break.

I'm excited for you too! Just be patient.  

#7 Guest_foxtrotter_*

Guest_foxtrotter_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

Thanks for the advice! I think I am going through the IB.... Or it might be that I'm ovulating and breaking out.. But I feel like I have been getting more of those little small whiteheads that ill normally scratch off. I'm using purpose and I feel like it is pretty drying.. But I haven't been using moisturizer for the past year or so that's prob not a good thing haha. I think I am going to go pick up some cerave moisturizer at Walmart tomorrow.

Is it ok to pop/squeeze whiteheads that I can really scratch off? Or will it cause scarring.... I'd hate to permanently scar my face over having a pimple for a few days.

#8 monopoly

monopoly

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

Try not to touch your face if you don't have to, you don't want to obstruct the effectiveness of the Accutane, just let it do its magic. When you go to Walmart tomorrow don't forget to also pick up lip balm, you will NEED it. I was on 40mg/day and I had to apply it every 20 minutes at school and stuff...burt's bees is my fave. You will come to moisturize as a habit too, as your skin might get so dry it creates flakiness. I personally found that because of this it was hard to wear foundation, so I just ended up letting my face 'breathe' for the time I was on it, so only eye makeup. Don't go to tanning beds if you do that, stay out of the sun come summer. I loved the dryness for my hair on Accutane. It is really fine and thin, so it gets oily quite quick, but with Accutane I could go days without washing it and it was always nice and full---miss that part!

#9 Guest_foxtrotter_*

Guest_foxtrotter_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

@monopoly I just saw your gallery and you don't even have acne! Before accutane you not had a few pimples? And yeah I'm trying not to pick but its so annoying feeling like a scab like bump and just wanting to scratch it right off. I'm using aquaphor cause Burt's like dries off pretty quick for me. And I'm hoping my hair dries up soon too!

I purchased cetaphil moisturizing cream because my mom told me she had cerave cream and lotion. So I'm going to grab those when I go to my parents house this weekend. I feel like the cetaphil makes me feel sooo greasy after applying it. It does a great job taking care of the flakes that circle around my pimples I just don't know how I feel about the greasiness...

Is it normal that I've been feeling hungrier lately? Like ill have to eat something every two hours because ill get hungry again.. Haha

#10 Guest_foxtrotter_*

Guest_foxtrotter_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

1 week update: 30mg daily, taken at night with a meal

I feel like I am getting an initial breakout. Getting more bigger bumps on my cheeks that appear more red. I popped two of them today because they were so pointed and had a white head.. Hope they don't scar... My skin is only dry in the places of my acne and around my mouth.

My lips aren't THAT chapped at all really but I have been applying aquaphor and Burt's bees when they do feel more chapped..

I have been eating more frequently even though its normal for me to snack on things throughout the day..

I have been able to sleep through the night now. And have had some pretty vivid dreams. But that could be due to the fact that I quit smoking when I started tane.

Will update again in a week!

For women: I forgot to add that I do feel more dry down there... And I have been getting a lot more discharge. A little concerned about this cause is isn't the most comfortable situation. Hah

^ All these are symptoms of a yeast infection... AWESOME!

Edited by foxtrotter, 28 February 2013 - 05:54 PM.

#11 cheezycakes

cheezycakes

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

All sounds pretty normal. It'll take another couple of weeks before you feel significant drying, I'm guessing. 

Can't help with the vag stuff because I'm a guy. Sorry :)

#12 jamie o

jamie o

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:05 AM

Hey I'd just like to say good luck with your Accutane course. Try not to pick at your pimples/acne if you can. In saying that don't be concerned if you accidentally pop one while drying yourself, this happens a fair bit for me. You should be fine with the ones you have already popped, just avoid doing it any more (if possible).

As for your more feminine concern, did you get a booklet of information from your dermatologist? I did and in it mentioned how to deal with this issue, though I can't remember since it wasn't going to be a concern for me. I think it was just a lubricant/ky jelly (just check online and it confirmed this, both medically and personally), though definitely feel free to double check it. The other problem I honestly couldn't find anything, maybe I might find something next time I visit my family (left my booklet of information down there). You can always email/ring you dermatologist.

For the record Accutane has been great at clearing my Accutane up (still got a couple of months to go).

#13 NoMoreDotToDot

NoMoreDotToDot

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

1 week update: 30mg daily, taken at night with a meal

I feel like I am getting an initial breakout. Getting more bigger bumps on my cheeks that appear more red. I popped two of them today because they were so pointed and had a white head.. Hope they don't scar... My skin is only dry in the places of my acne and around my mouth.

My lips aren't THAT chapped at all really but I have been applying aquaphor and Burt's bees when they do feel more chapped..

I have been eating more frequently even though its normal for me to snack on things throughout the day..

I have been able to sleep through the night now. And have had some pretty vivid dreams. But that could be due to the fact that I quit smoking when I started tane.

Will update again in a week!

For women: I forgot to add that I do feel more dry down there... And I have been getting a lot more discharge. A little concerned about this cause is isn't the most comfortable situation. Hah
^ All these are symptoms of a yeast infection... AWESOME!

About 'down there'. Have read it is common to feel more dry (haven't experienced this), so use what Jamie suggested. Though is strange you're getting more discharge. Are you ovulating? That might be it, and you've only become more aware of it now because we're all extra vigilant about things.
Good luck with your course :)

#14 Guest_foxtrotter_*

Guest_foxtrotter_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

Thanks for the replies! I actually found a way to get rid of the pain from my yeast infection. I used this tea tree oil body wash (Tea Tree Tingle) that I got from trader joe's a few weeks ago and it burned and 'tingled' for a little down there, but COMPLETELY got rid of the burning and itching and soreness down there!! Its awesome. Totally recommended to any other women experiencing this problem!

But yeah, I guess I shouldn't be complaining about not feeling much more dryer since it seems like its pretty dreadful to most people.. 

Jamie O, the only booklet I got was the ipledge one! How long have you been on tane? and how many mg? Are you still getting pimples? and did you have an IB?

NoMoreDotToDot, I was ovulating and thought that that was the reason why, but I think the increase in discharge is straight from the yeast infection. 

And I also took a probiotic last night to see if that would help me with my problem down there. Does anyone know if its ok to continue taking probiotics during accutane? 

#15 jamie o

jamie o

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

Jamie O, the only booklet I got was the ipledge one! How long have you been on tane? and how many mg? Are you still getting pimples? and did you have an IB?

I'm glad you found something that helps. I've just started my tenth month, but please don't be scared into thinking you will be on Accutane for that long. My case was a bit unusual, I had to do three months on a dose that was not part of my accumulative dosage of the medication. I did get an initial breakout, though because I have always had body acne each area has broken out at different stages (so each area had its own breakout). Your face is usually the first thing to start clearing, though my chest, shoulders and back where, so that should be some good news for you. I am mostly clear on my face/neck region, and some of what's there is just inactive acne. Also I had a lot of acne to clear up, so it might even clear up faster if your acne is less serve or of a different type. Oh yeah I still get the odd breakout of pimples and acne, though real minor compared to before. Feel free to log a my log (on the first page the fifth or sixth post has pictures prior to starting Accutane).

http://www.acne.org/...perience/page-3

#16 Guest_foxtrotter_*

Guest_foxtrotter_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

I'm glad you found something that helps. I've just started my tenth month, but please don't be scared into thinking you will be on Accutane for that long. My case was a bit unusual, I had to do three months on a dose that was not part of my accumulative dosage of the medication. I did get an initial breakout, though because I have always had body acne each area has broken out at different stages (so each area had its own breakout). Your face is usually the first thing to start clearing, though my chest, shoulders and back where, so that should be some good news for you. I am mostly clear on my face/neck region, and some of what's there is just inactive acne. Also I had a lot of acne to clear up, so it might even clear up faster if your acne is less serve or of a different type. Oh yeah I still get the odd breakout of pimples and acne, though real minor compared to before. Feel free to log a my log (on the first page the fifth or sixth post has pictures prior to starting Accutane).
http://www.acne.org/...perience/page-3

Ten months seems like a haul! I think I am already seeing a little improvement in my chest but my face is breaking out like crazyyyy ugh. I'm hating it.

Did your doc prescribe you anything to help the IB? Is there anything I could get prescribed?

#17 cheezycakes

cheezycakes

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

You could ask for prednisone, which is a steroid-like compound which helps with inflammation. It's usually reserved only for severe breakouts. You'll only be able to take it for a week or so because it can cause dependency and a long list of major side effects. I would say try to stick it out if you can, because anything your doctor can give you is only a short-term stop gap. If your IB lasts longer the week, all you'll have done is postpone it for a really short time. 

#18 jamie o

jamie o

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:20 PM

Ten months seems like a haul! I think I am already seeing a little improvement in my chest but my face is breaking out like crazyyyy ugh. I'm hating it.

Did your doc prescribe you anything to help the IB? Is there anything I could get prescribed?

I was on doxycycline for years, people tend to be put on a similar type of medication prior to starting Accutane. That won't really help you now though. I would probably just ask my derm if I was you. Ha actually the previous comment mentioned something while I was typing this up, so their idea could work for you. As for the length of my course, so long as it works I don't mind (rather it than the alternative anyway). Also my derm said body acne tends to clear before your facial acne, for nearly everyone, I am the opposite (for the top half of my body anyway).

Edited by jamie o, 01 March 2013 - 08:23 PM.

#19 cheezycakes

cheezycakes

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

I wouldn't take doxy while on accutane. One of the drug interactions mentioned on the ipledge pamphlet was tetracyclines (of which doxy is one) with accutane causes increased pressure on the brain. 

#20 jamie o

jamie o

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

I wouldn't take doxy while on accutane. One of the drug interactions mentioned on the ipledge pamphlet was tetracyclines (of which doxy is one) with accutane causes increased pressure on the brain. 

Mate that is why I said prior to Accutane and wouldn't do her any good now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users