retina tazorac retin a and tazorac retinoids

3 replies to this topic

#1 BMF96

BMF96

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

So I can't decide on whether to get retin-a or tazorac. I read that some people alternate each night because of whatever the following means:

Tazarotenic acid binds to all three members of the retinoic acid receptor (RAR) family: RARα,RARβ, and RARγ but shows relative selectivity for RARβ, and RARγ and may modify gene expression. The clinical significance of these findings is unknown.

And they say that retin-a binds to everything. Do you think that alternating is a good idea?

Thanks!

Edited by BMF96, 19 February 2013 - 06:57 PM.

#2 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

Tazorac is the harshest. Your skin will be a peeling, blotchy, beet-red mess on Tazorac. Unless you have not responded to milder formulations such as Retin-A Micro or Differin, I would not recommend Tazorac. The side effects of Tazorac are almost as bad as the acne. 

#3 NotMeAtAll

NotMeAtAll

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:05 AM

I started with Tazorac cream, the lower dose.  Like with all retinoids, the time it takes to get used to it is very unpleasant - red, peely, painful, lots of zits.  You can minimize this by starting every other night and using lots of moisturizer.  After about 6 weeks maybe, my skin was used to it and got much much better.  It does eventually give you a glow, and the months I was using it, I kept getting carded for booze, and I was 34 with four kids with me all the time!!!!

The downside, however, was that it never did totally clear me and I would always have 1-2 headless ouchy pimples on my chin.  It's like it didn't peel that top layer enough - perhaps that's what that third binding site would have done.  I was switched to Retin-A Micro and that did completely clear me, but my skin was much rougher and redder and no longer glowed.

Honestly, I preferred the Tazorac because my skin was smooth and soft and not red once I was used to it, but the Retin-A was more effective.

#4 skinnie

skinnie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

Tazorac is the harshest. Your skin will be a peeling, blotchy, beet-red mess on Tazorac. Unless you have not responded to milder formulations such as Retin-A Micro or Differin, I would not recommend Tazorac. The side effects of Tazorac are almost as bad as the acne.  - See more at: http://www.acne.org/...h.xgmqfEzm.dpuf

I didn't have any issues with Tazorac the second time around. I think it depends on how you use it. For me, tazorac has been mild because of how I used it. When I don't moisturize adequately, for example, it did leave a mess. That was easily remedied. If I use it immediately after washing and moisturizing, I'm left with redness and irritation too. I think a lot of derms don't stress the importance of a regimen/moisturizing.

Whichever you decide to use, moisturizing and reducing irritation is very important!

read: http://www.acne.org/...g/#entry3253334

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users