retina tazorac retin a and tazorac retinoids

3 replies to this topic

#1 BMF96

BMF96

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

So I can't decide on whether to get retin-a or tazorac. I read that some people alternate each night because of whatever the following means:

Tazarotenic acid binds to all three members of the retinoic acid receptor (RAR) family: RARα,RARβ, and RARγ but shows relative selectivity for RARβ, and RARγ and may modify gene expression. The clinical significance of these findings is unknown.

And they say that retin-a binds to everything. Do you think that alternating is a good idea?

Thanks!

Edited by BMF96, 19 February 2013 - 06:57 PM.

#2 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

Tazorac is the harshest. Your skin will be a peeling, blotchy, beet-red mess on Tazorac. Unless you have not responded to milder formulations such as Retin-A Micro or Differin, I would not recommend Tazorac. The side effects of Tazorac are almost as bad as the acne. 

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#3 NotMeAtAll

NotMeAtAll

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:05 AM

I started with Tazorac cream, the lower dose.  Like with all retinoids, the time it takes to get used to it is very unpleasant - red, peely, painful, lots of zits.  You can minimize this by starting every other night and using lots of moisturizer.  After about 6 weeks maybe, my skin was used to it and got much much better.  It does eventually give you a glow, and the months I was using it, I kept getting carded for booze, and I was 34 with four kids with me all the time!!!!

The downside, however, was that it never did totally clear me and I would always have 1-2 headless ouchy pimples on my chin.  It's like it didn't peel that top layer enough - perhaps that's what that third binding site would have done.  I was switched to Retin-A Micro and that did completely clear me, but my skin was much rougher and redder and no longer glowed.

Honestly, I preferred the Tazorac because my skin was smooth and soft and not red once I was used to it, but the Retin-A was more effective.

#4 skinnie

skinnie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

Tazorac is the harshest. Your skin will be a peeling, blotchy, beet-red mess on Tazorac. Unless you have not responded to milder formulations such as Retin-A Micro or Differin, I would not recommend Tazorac. The side effects of Tazorac are almost as bad as the acne.  - See more at: http://www.acne.org/...h.xgmqfEzm.dpuf

I didn't have any issues with Tazorac the second time around. I think it depends on how you use it. For me, tazorac has been mild because of how I used it. When I don't moisturize adequately, for example, it did leave a mess. That was easily remedied. If I use it immediately after washing and moisturizing, I'm left with redness and irritation too. I think a lot of derms don't stress the importance of a regimen/moisturizing.

Whichever you decide to use, moisturizing and reducing irritation is very important!

read: http://www.acne.org/...g/#entry3253334

Current Regimen: 
AM: 

Olay Foaming Cleanser for Sensitive Skin 

3 pumps CeraVe PM

Dan's BP (every other day) - pea size
Olay Age Defying Daily Lotion for Sensitive Skin, SPF15

True Match W4.5 

Night 
Swipe with Neutrogena Rapid Clear Treatment Pad or Paula's Choice 2% BHA

Wait 10-30 minutes

Olay foaming cleanser for sensitive skin 

w/ Clarisonic Mia Acne Brush head - 1 minute (every other day) 

3 pumps CeraVe PM

Wait a few minutes

Tazorac -- pea size amount 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users