Photo

--

cooking oil

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 DELETEPLEASE

DELETEPLEASE

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

--

Edited by DELETEPLEASE, 06 April 2013 - 06:41 PM.

#2 scov93

scov93

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

how much fat is in your diet apart from oil 

#3 DELETEPLEASE

DELETEPLEASE

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

--

#4 Ind1g0

Ind1g0

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

An avocado a day is plenty- I would include some eggs a few times a week, cooked in grass fed butter. Then, you'll be set.

#5 DELETEPLEASE

DELETEPLEASE

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

--

#6 Username22

Username22

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

idk, i wouldn't eat any snackfoods - organic or not.  when cutting stuff out of my diet i thought i would die without a bag of chips around but you get used to it.  i can taste the oil in things such as sunchips and saltines now lol.  i cook all my meals with olive oil.  i think oil is bad because of the high omega 6 content, but don't quote me. 

Edited by Username22, 14 February 2013 - 02:46 PM.

#7 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

It depends on what you are doing with it.  The seed and grain oils tend to be very prone to rancidity and unstable for cooking at high heat. Plus high in the omega 6 EFAs you probably get to much of. 

Use coconut oil for most cooking.  Olive oil for quick sautes, drizzling on food, salad, etc.  Safflower and grapeseed are great topically because they are high in the linoleic acid that is a major ingredient in sebum that protects skin rather than clogging pores and looking greasy. And acne and other skin problem sufferers have been found to be deficient.  But they must be a good quality, in a dark bottle that hasn't been sitting around a while and once you buy it, store it in the fridge other than perhaps a small amount poured into a small dark bottle and stored in a dark place for your daily use. (Do the same with your olive oil, which if it's a good oil will turn solid in the fridge)  If you are in the U.S., I recommend Napa Valley Naturals which I get from Whole Foods. 

#8 DELETEPLEASE

DELETEPLEASE

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

--

#9 Username22

Username22

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

If you want you can make your own chips by slicing potatoes thin (uniformly), painting a tiny amount of melted butter over them, then salting. bake till they're done (like 10 minutes?  you gotta watch, they'll go from done to burnt in a minute) at like 400F.  

#10 DELETEPLEASE

DELETEPLEASE

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:34 AM

--

Edited by DELETEPLEASE, 06 April 2013 - 06:42 PM.

#11 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

If you want you can make your own chips by slicing potatoes thin (uniformly), painting a tiny amount of melted butter over them, then salting. bake till they're done (like 10 minutes?  you gotta watch, they'll go from done to burnt in a minute) at like 400F.  

Thanks, but I'd gladly avoid chips altogether if that meant having clear skin. Unfortunately, no one seems to know exactly what the deal is with oils. 

Again, if someone could point me in the direction of some good studies or articles about the consumption of oil and it's relation to acne, I'd be greatly appreciative. I can't find much info about lipid metabolism and acne. Right now, I'm avoiding every oil, which I know isn't necessary, but I'm so sick of acne!

Thanks.

I don't know of any studies specifically about oils and acne.  But excess omega 6 EFAs, rancid oils and trans fats are bad for you and pro-inflammatory therefore contributing to acne and other health problems.  Also, too much consumption of the wrong oils and not enough of the right oils affect the composition of your sebum which can make the difference between sebum that protects your skin and makes it glow vs sebum that clogs pores and makes your skin look greasy. It isn't a layer of dead grease on your skin, you know. It has many functions and contains and produces enzymes involved in normal exfoliation.