Photo

Stacey's Spiro Log.

spiro spironolactone clogged pores estrogen progesterone testosterone breakout spots red marks tea tree oil

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
226 replies to this topic

#161 lifeinfaith

lifeinfaith

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

Kelseylee –

I did indeed read it. I can definitely relate. It sounds like you are similar to me in that you have always had everything under control and then after numerous negative life events and kind of realizing you aren’t in control after all, you crashed. It’s time for me to write a long post, hopefully others aren’t annoyed! I have always been the type of person to bottle things in and never ever used to cry…and now I cry almost daily! I am also a perfectionist and am used to always having control of my life and having life perfectly planned. I always felt that I was strong and confident before, was athletic and took great care of my body and health or so I thought…but then we moved to Colorado a little over a year ago (we chose to move, which makes me all the more frustrated at my situation). This was the first time I have ever not lived in the same city as my parents (even though I’m 27 I went to both colleges in the same city and stayed in the area after marrying- DFW is a big place). I am also extremely close to my mom and for some reason I didn’t even think twice about how moving away would affect me. I initially took the job with me that I loved and was working remotely (I figured out pretty quickly that working from home is not for me). The first 8 months were relatively ok for me…but when I think back I think I can see how things were creeping up and I just didn’t even notice. I was very slowly getting more and more homesick…getting a pimple here and there on my lower face where I never used to get pimples. I was starting to have little obsessions at that point as well, but I didn’t recognize anything as signs of stress. I was getting more and more discontent with working at home as well so we decided we needed to move to a larger city (we were in a small rural area originally, which was kind of a silly move coming from living in a huge metro area when I think back).

That summer we did all kinds of hiking trips, trying to climb a bunch of the CO mountains, drove almost cross country on a road trip and ended up in California climbing the tallest peak in the lower 48…which was one of the most physically stressful things I have ever done. These things were definitely fun and what we enjoyed doing, but I think it was just all too much. At the end of the summer I had seriously hurt both my knees (I still can’t hike more than 2 miles without pain, which really saddens me) from all the hiking and climbing. We got back from all that and moved again in a whirl wind…I think that’s when my body finally said enough is enough. Shortly after our second move (which we decided to try out a cabin type house in the mountains close to the city right before winter – which was another dumb decision for this Texas girl) my face started noticeably breaking out…I was still working from home but looking for a job in the city at that point…which ended up taking 4 months!! I felt like I was trapped in this snowy cabin in the mountains for months in a completely new place. We didn’t even get to spend holidays with any family. It was so isolating. Around that time my sister was also making really bad decisions that were majorly effecting our family emotionally…we are still recovering from it.  I think I was mildly depressed at that point and only fully realized my depression about 3 months ago. I finally got a new job and took a trip back to Texas to resign from my beloved job, see family and friends and kind of “say goodbye”. After we came back I really crashed. I had thought that getting a job where I lived was going to make everything better…but it didn’t. This time leaving, I sobbed every time I said goodbye to someone. I cried in front of my old boss when I left that day. She was completely shocked because this is like the opposite of my personality. It was like moving and leaving everything didn’t register the first time, and now when I was finally cutting some cords, it was all so real and emotions that I hadn’t expressed or even realized I had were coming out like a hurricane.  Even though my new job isn’t stressful and my new boss is super cool, my anxiety has grown by leaps and bounds. At that point I started going back to dermatologists I had seen and begging for something to help me. I was trying everything for my face which now was at the worst point it’s ever been in my life (still not severe acne, as my derm keeps reminding me, but pretty damn persistent and commodonal which feels like a nightmare because it NEVER goes away or does anything but look disgusting under my skin).

Six weeks ago I relented and went to a therapist who told me I had major separation anxiety from moving, was extremely uncomfortable in this unplanned and unsure situation, which has now developed into a complete lack of confidence and general anxiety mainly focused on my face (which was caused by all the stress in the first place) and depression. We are working on biofeedback and relaxation techniques. She has told me the acne is a direct manifestation of the stress and once I stop being stressed and anxious it will start going away. The dermatologist recently put me on Spiro and Doxy as my acne is in a very hormonal place on my face. They assure me it will help in 2-3 months. Stress changes your hormones, so this could very well be what’s happening. The derm also told me I’m at that “age in a women’s life when hormones sometimes change and cause adult acne”. In the past 3 months I have also started losing weight (when I am already tiny), having trouble sleeping, waking up with night sweats, feeling completely unmotivated/unable to do anything requiring a lot of energy. I am part of a soccer team and I just keep not going. My husband basically has to drag me out of the house to do things that were my previous passions. I am late for work a lot…thank God for an understanding boss. Waiting on the Spiro and topicals to work is all well and good, but my anxiety continues to grow, even with therapy…and I feel like if I can’t stop being stressed the medicines might have a much harder time doing anything. Last weekend brought me to the point of going to my primary care doctor to get bloodwork and to talk about an anti-anxiety medicine. I’ve started having worse and worse anxiety attacks and last weekend it took my husband several hours to get me out of bed as I was irrationally terrified to get up. I have never experienced this kind of debilitating fear in my life…I always considered myself to be mentally healthy, it’s so bizarre. So back to present, my doc is testing all my hormones and my thyroid (I have a family history) to see if there could be anything else going on. If it’s all clear he’s going to prescribe me an anti-anxiety  (something I would never in a million years imagined taking in the past) to help me get over this hump. I feel like I am stuck in a cycle of being anxious, my acne gets worse, making me get more anxious, my acne gets worse….and I can’t break it. Hoping this will give me the boost I need to stop caring and obsessing over my face enough so that my mind can go back to normal things and be happy again…allowing the acne medications I am on to take full effect and my face go back to normal. If my face improves I think my anxiety will lessen and I won’t have any pimples to freak out about. In the meantime, my therapist is working on my being confident again…and I need to fully work through my dreaded homesickness. We are meeting people/making friends and making efforts to get back to “life as normal” with regular activities and being involved at church. Some people say homesickness just takes time. I have this little mental deadline in my head that maybe maybe my face will be mostly healed and my emotional state much much better over the next 3-4 months (we are moving down into the city out of the mountains into a normal house in 3 months, which I hope will help me feel more normal, but I am also hoping to be a lot better by then so I don’t bring these bad memories with me and can really enjoy it). Does anyone think that is a reasonable hope to have? I have no idea how long it takes things like this to clear or emotions to get better.

PS. On a side note I am also very spiritual and have been really having to make myself trust God during this hard time. I have been learning that I am not in control, as much as I want to be. I try to take comfort in the fact that God is growing me through this experience and I will hopefully be a better, more compassionate person on the other side. I need to let go and learn to be better at patience, contentment and joy. I think God has a purpose for everyone and sometimes getting us to where we need to be is a hard, uncomfortable process. God can use trials to produce qualities in us that could not be cultivated in any other way. This too shall pass. 

Greetings---

Sierra I looked at your pics and was loling at the carb craving comments...haha definitely had those!!! I've found theyve gone down with bc, and I was thinking back to when I was on bc before or just when I was feeling better in general, and I craved savory foods almost predominantly. I mean I still liked fruit and occasional sweets, but mostly I would be like yum dinner, savory food etc. Whereas now i'm like thinking about sweets based things, even though I really try to eat mostly savory food. it's definitely hormonal/acne related for me. I hope they continue to go down. Have sugar cravings gone down with spiro or bc for you?

Hi Kelseylee!

Glad to hear I'm not alone with those crazy cravings.  I've had issues with carb cravings and binge eating for years.  I think it's at an all time high right now to be honest and I don't know if it has any relation to the spiro.  When I was on spiro and bc before I would still get those cravings but I could manage them better.  Now if I don't leave the kitchen immediately after a meal I will eat all day.  No joke.

The one thing that did help was my very brief stint on Metformin which is actually a drug for diabetics.  According to my labs I am not a diabetic so that's why I went off of it, but, oh my.  It was the only time in my adult life that I have been totally free of my insane carb cravings.  Still miss that pill...

I'm sorry to hear your skin is not treating you well.  But I do commend you on not popping those suckers!  I try to never pop but I still do on occasion if I know the zit is "ripe". If you must pop, I got a great lesson from my esthetician who said if I really have to pop here's how to do it:

Clean and steam your face beforehand to open pores.  I usually just take a warm shower.  Then clean the pimple with an alcohol based toner, prick it with a sanitized safety pin, then use two cotton swabs dipped in the alcohol on the sides of your fingers (instead of the tips) to apply pressure on both sides of the pimple so you don't accidentally hurt your skin by pinching. If it pops easily, continue to make sure you get ALL of the gunk out.  Leaving some of that in there will only make it worse.  You'll know it's all out when the blood runs more clear and you don't feel that deeper infected ache, just a dull pain caused by popping.  Move your fingers around the pimple instead of just trying one angle.  Pores are not always straight up and down so you have to find the right angle.   If it doesn't pop easily, leave it alone!  When you're done wipe it with another cotton swab dipped in alcohol.  I've been using that method on my recent smaller pimples and it works like a charm.  They heal up quickly and don't come back.

Wow, didn't realize I was such a zit popping expert til I wrote that manifesto!  Anyway, hope that helps smile.png

xo

Sierra

skindeepstory.wordpress.com

>Skindeepstory - did you have a lot of clogged pores and did yuo find that Spiro helped clear and stop those?

Hi lifeinfaith!

Yes, I had a TON of clogged pores.  As for spiro helping, this might not be fun to hear, but the initial breakout on spiro caused almost all of those clogged pores (there were SOOOO many) to become full fledged pimples.  It basically "purged" them out and it was NOT pretty.  Once that initial breakout had calmed down a bit I was able to go to my esthetician to help get rid of the existing clogged pores before they evolved into big breakouts.  I've had 3 facials now and every time it helps.  I'm not getting very many new pimples, so purging and extracting the existing ones has really helped resolve a lot of my acne. 

Not sure what your story is but if you are thinking about starting spiro, I would suggest weening up your dosage slowly instead of jumping in at the highest dose like I did.  I'm pretty sure that coupled with the crazy amount of clogged pores that already existed on my face caused my 3 month long initial breakout from h**l. 

Hope that helped! 

Sierra

Skindeepstory - 

I started Spiro 2 weeks ago. I had already been purging before that so I think it was the retin a, which I have been on for months. I was so fed up with the purging I called my derm and asked if there was something else I could do and she told me to take a break from it. It has been 6 days now and no active pimples. However I have a lot of clogged pores on my cheeks and jaw line, almost all of my issue is clogged pores. Its like the retinoids were slowly bringing those up but there are multiple layers of clogs or something. I am going to an aesthetician tomorrow to see if she can get a lot of them out that I can feel really obviously on my skin. I don’t know how far along the clog has to be for them to extract them. Or…if I never get back on the retin a if the rest of them just won’t come out.  How long have you been on Spiro for and when do you feel like is started really helping and preventing new stuff/decreasing oil? I am on 100mg now and so far 0 side effects. 

hey misssac17, i am doing pretty good i am still on the spiro (5 months on friday) at 100mg and have dropped down the keflex to 500mg a day. the plan is to slowly wean off of the keflex and hope the spiro has kicked in by now. i also use hylunia gentle cleanser and then thayers non alcohol toner for the morning and proactiv toner for the evening with glycolic acid to keep my pores clear. i also use benzaclin twice a day and its all been working pretty well. my red marks are fading nicely but i have some bad scarring on my chin so just trying to figure out when or if i am going to get laser done on it.

how is your skin doing?

Hi Tracy521 - When do you feel like the Spiro started working for you/making your face less oily? My derm tells me to give it 6 weeks to see a difference and then it keeps getting better. I mostly have lots of closed comedones and a few active pimples that come up.

PM - Clean face with water and cotton rounds. Spot treat with Finacea.
AM- Wash face with Aveeno Gentle Foaming Cleanser and apply Sanitas Oil Free moisturizer
30mg Absorbica for 8 months

#162 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

Hey Lifeinfaith - I read your whole story and feel for what you're going through. Life events are hard enough sometimes and to have skin problems on top of it feels like a whilrwind of chaos. I'm glad you have a supportive husband and a family that loves you even if they are not always close by. It is so interesting about the stress causing acne. I suppose they really can be related. I think it makes it hard that you feel isolated too - I will tell you that staying busy and having distractions really does help. I would try getting outside where you are and taking, long peaceful walks. Is it pretty where you are? Sounds like it must be. Anyway, this is just to calm down becuase you need a breather. I believe the meds will work for you. Also, since acne is a relatively new thing for you that means you don't have scarring. I used to believe like you that God had a plan and my trials would lead me to the best person I was supposed to be. But when I started getting acne scarring that is when I had trouble continuing to believe everything happens for a reason. It is a life sentence more or less and I have spent the last year devastated. Thank goodness for my husband who is just endlessly loving and carefree about whatever my skin is going through. I really struggle on a daily basis though. So I understand what you're going through. I used to be excited about life and, like you, I was in really good shape and loved running and working out. Now I hardly do those things and feel like a shell of myself. It's just not fair is it? Anyway, just wanted to tell you I relate! Hugs!

Edited by michi31, 01 May 2013 - 11:17 AM.

#163 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

Hi Tracy521 - When do you feel like the Spiro started working for you/making your face less oily? My derm tells me to give it 6 weeks to see a difference and then it keeps getting better. I mostly have lots of closed comedones and a few active pimples that come up.

Hello! I am not quite sure what is really working for me right now because I started the keflex about 8 weeks into taking spiro because my face was so bad.  I literally was at the dermatologist every single week getting cortisone shots. I had about 22 total for the bad cystic ones so at that point I asked for the keflex and immediately stopped getting new cysts. I also was getting nodules too it was awful. I saw an aesthetician in that time and she told me to stop exfoliating my face so much and to use a witch hazel toner after i wash and that really helped to calm down my skin a lot. Also I was amazed at the amount of makeup and dead skin that would be on the cotton ball after I washed its no wonder I was breaking out so bad. I cant use retinoids because they make my face burn and peel so that is why I use that proactiv toner at night the glycolic acid really helps to keep the pores clear. The oil production in my face has not changed one bit I still have to blot my face a lot. I just really makes sure to try and not touch it at all and I try not to pick my face at all anymore either. I just leave it alone as much as I can and I wear bare minerals makeup because it doesnt break me out.

I am just really hoping everything is ok when I stop taking the keflex it does kind of scare me but then again my skin is always clearer in the summer so maybe it will be ok. One more thing I always try to workout at least 5-6 days a week I think it helps to sweat out those toxins. Just try to hang in there with spiro I believe it will work it just takes a long time. My derm said 3 months at the minimum but that it could take up to 6 months.

Edited by tracy521, 01 May 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#164 lifeinfaith

lifeinfaith

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

Hi Michi,

I'm sorry to hear that. Have you had acne for a really long time? It's weird that some people scar and others don't. I should be more grateful for what I do have. I try to tell myself that it's not cancer or like I am paralyzed or lacking limbs or something. Keep hope in the new treatments there are for acne scarring and the fact that you have a loving husband no matter what imperfections you have.

Hey Lifeinfaith - I read your whole story and feel for what you're going through. Life events are hard enough sometimes and to have skin problems on top of it feels like a whilrwind of chaos. I'm glad you have a supportive husband and a family that loves you even if they are not always close by. It is so interesting about the stress causing acne. I suppose they really can be related. I think it makes it hard that you feel isolated too - I will tell you that staying busy and having distractions really does help. I would try getting outside where you are and taking, long peaceful walks. Is it pretty where you are? Sounds like it must be. Anyway, this is just to calm down becuase you need a breather. I believe the meds will work for you. Also, since acne is a relatively new thing for you that means you don't have scarring. I used to believe like you that God had a plan and my trials would lead me to the best person I was supposed to be. But when I started getting acne scarring that is when I had trouble continuing to believe everything happens for a reason. It is a life sentence more or less and I have spent the last year devastated. Thank goodness for my husband who is just endlessly loving and carefree about whatever my skin is going through. I really struggle on a daily basis though. So I understand what you're going through. I used to be excited about life and, like you, I was in really good shape and loved running and working out. Now I hardly do those things and feel like a shell of myself. It's just not fair is it? Anyway, just wanted to tell you I relate! Hugs!

AM- Wash face with Aveeno Gentle Foaming Cleanser and apply Sanitas Oil Free moisturizer

#165 kelseylee

kelseylee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

Hi guys, I just read this on tumblr and wanted to share. -warning- strong language used 

• Woman:   I'm smart
  • Patriarchy:   Well you're probably ugly then
  • Woman:   I'm creative
  • Patriarchy:   You mean unattractive right?
  • Woman:   I have all these incredible accomplishments
  • Patriarchy:   Yeah but look how ugly you looked doing them
  • Woman:   I have value
  • Patriarchy:   Not if you're ugly lol
  • Woman:   I'm conventionally-attractive & posted selfies on my blog
  • Patriarchy:   I'm so sick of these empty-headed chicks only caring about their looks. Just because you are attractive and get attention from men doesn't mean you are special or deserve respect. Why don't you read a book or do something productive with your life you dumb slut

#166 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Yes so it's tough to know what had the most impact of if it was both combined. I think that's so interesting that Yaz broke you out because it's a derivative of Spiro and Spiro works for you. As much as we try to figure this stuff out it's all a mystery isn't it? Are you planning on getting your hormones rechecked at any time? I just got mine redone this morning again - even though I did it 3 weeks ago the Endo wanted a second look before he refers me for an MRI (for insurance purposes and just to make sure). I'll find out my results in 2 weeks. Oh and the reason for my MRI is because it boggles his mind how my estrogen can be so low yet my FSH is also low - the pituitary gland in our brain sends a signal to raise FSH to try to in turn raise low estrogen and that is not happening for me. What was your FSH?

Hi Michi,

I wasn't planning on getting my hormone levels rechecked unless my endo requests that I do.  My endo is the one who said he doesn't think I have PCOS and has no idea what's wrong with me...so...probably going to look for a new endo at some point anyway.

This is all such a big mystery.  I was pretty caught up in getting a diagnosis and actually felt really relieved to find out I had PCOS, and then getting undiagnosed was a bit of a blow.  But, I'm relaxing a little on figuring it all out because the medicine I'm on seems to be helping.  I hope your MRI goes well! It would be nice to figure all of this out, right?

My FSH was at 7.0.  I don't think that's low, but the FSH level is confusing to me.  According to my lab, my level indicated I'm either follicular, midcycle, or luteal.  I don't think it means much of anything because at that point I wasn't menstruating or ovulating at all.  What was your level if you don't mind me asking?

Sierra

My FSH was 6.7, so about the same as yours. So if it is prior to ovulation, which it is for me since I don't ovulate, then this is normal. However since my estrogen is so low FSH should be rising in an attempt to make my estrogen, or egg reserve, rise. This is controlled by the pituitary gland and since this is not happening there may be something wrong with the pituitary. So something interesting I was reading is that the birth control pill works to prevent ovulation by suppressing the pituitary gland. I know doctors say the pill doesn't affect you after you get off of it, but I was on it for 12 years. Doesn't it make sense that in 12 years of suppressing the pituitary gland, this might have an effect on its normal functioning? Were you on the pill for a long time also? What was your progesterone? Mine is 0.4, just indicative of not ovulating.

#167 lifeinfaith

lifeinfaith

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

I had a dermasweep done by an aesthetician at my derm’s office yesterday. This is basically a microderm plus putting salicylic acid on my skin after. Then she steamed my face and did a few extractions. I think the microderm was fine, my face felt smoother (in the areas I don’t have clogged pores) after and there was no redness or down time like a chemical peel sometimes. However…I don’t really feel like it did a whole lot for the clogged pores. AND she kind of sucked at doing extractions. She only did like a handful of them, she would lance each and then use the comodo extractor…nothing really got swollen or irritated…but later that evening when I was looking at the spots she “extracted” they all seemed to still look like clogged pores and so I squeezed them all and got stuff out of each and every one, one she had especially worked on for a while, squeezed a ton of stuff out when I barely touched it….so I am like, what gives, I paid her a ton of money to do unsuccessful extractions that I had to come home and finish myself (which  I absolutely hate and it sends me into an anxiety attack most of the time L). The only real improvement I see on my clogged pores are that a few of them maybe look slightly slightly closer to the surface..and this morning I had a couple of tiny white heads that came off in the shower. Does anyone have experiences with microderm or know if there will be more delayed effects in a few days? Also, how do you guys find an aesthetician that does good extractions?? I feel like I can’t find any. I had one done 4 months ago when I had a sal peel done at a medical spa and basically the exact same thing happened...she failed to extract anything.  I feel like extractions are more successful without using the little extraction tool. She also made the comment when she was doing them that “all your clogged pores are under the skin instead of right at the surface that come off easily.” If they came off easily I think I would have taken care of them myself and not be going crazy over…also isn’t that one of the definitions of being a closed comodone, being under the skin?

Skindeepstory – I know you said you had to get facials to get rid of a lot of you clogged pores. Did you have to ask them to do them a certain way or were yours all already whiteheads and  not really under the skin?

#168 kelseylee

kelseylee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

hey lifeinfaith,

I know what you're talking about with extractions. luckily I always seemed to find ppl that were good at them, but my problem would be that a few weeks later the same spots would refill. when I was younger, and barely had acne, this would'nt happen and a facial would make me feel great for a while, but part of this was how good my skin already was. anyway, i really think its up to the individual and not the tools they use etc. The lady I saw who was the best at it mostly only used her hands, and she was really fast. she unclogged my pores a lot like I would myself, with sort of a delicate but firm grasp and just pushing at angles on the skin, with tissue, to get all the stuff out. mine might be closer to the surface however which DEFINITELY  makes it easier. anything stuck below the surface she would just leave because it was too dangerous. or use the little tool which worked well most of the time. it did make me nervous towards the end though-making a little incision and then squeezing...back to the minor surgery analogy. actually one of the best extracters I ever had was when I got my eyebrows waxed at a really fancy hair salon. the lady was like oooh you have a milia right there can I get it for you. So she did and I barely felt a single thing she was so gentle and I think she got a few more. 

So my advice is don't necessarily go to a "medical" spa. I would find a really high end salon. I don't find that those salons are even more expensive necessarily, just that their ppl know what they're doing. Aveda salons are generally quite good, and when you call, ask for the person that does the best/knows the most about extractions. plain and simple. just be like, I want the best facialist and extractor you have. after I had a few facials with the lady who was really good, the desk girls were like "oh yeah shes definitely the best". I also found the best and most expensive hair salons (gary manuel) in the pacific northwest to have really good estheticians. Hence the lady that waxed my eyebrows. hope that helps. In some ways estheticians can vary in skill as much as a hair stylist or dermatologist, so don't go back to one who wasn't able to extract your pores as easily as YOU did at home, that's crazy. The micro and SA probably helped loosen up your pores, but still she should have been able to get most that gunk out. 

the last two times I got facials I had red spots all over my face and my skin just looked attacked, and that kind of freaked me out. I still have two more facials at an aveda salon in seattle that I will use w/o extractions. are you in the boulder, co area?

Edited by kelseylee, 03 May 2013 - 04:43 PM.

#169 dizzyabby

dizzyabby

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:46 PM

Hi Everyone! Just been reading through all 9 pages of this and decided to join this website so I could join in the chat!! wavey.gif

I have been on 50mg of spironolactone for a week now. It was an absolute nightmare trying to get it prescribed in England, it seems here its rarely used for acne, and i had to go to the dermatologist with an arm load of research id gathered and a very persuasive pre-planned speech. She eventually agreed to let me try it but wanted me to have blood tests to check my potassium levels and hormones.

So, a bit of background, iv had acne since i was 11, im now 26. Iv done lots of antibiotics, dianette, yasmin, accutane 3 times, n litle laser treatment, duac, differin, epiduo, dalacin-t, benzoyl peroxide, paula's choice salicylic acid, dairy free diet, gluten free diet, sugar free diet, wild oregano oil. Basically, iv done everything! I had success with accutane but only whilst I was on it, a few months after id come off it my skin would break out again. I also had some success with dianette but my sister got a blood clot from the contraceptive pill and iv now been told i'm never allowed it again as i may have a genetic pre-disposition towards blood clots.

So the last few years iv been trying to cope by gently cleansing and using a combination of epiduo and duac, but things really got out of control recently. I had read a lot about spiro and had asked the doctor about it a few years back but she looked at me like i was an idiot and said it wasn't an acne drug. So anyway, this time i was determined to be taken seriously, and by some miracle i actually got prescribed it!

So right, its been a week at 50mg and so far i havn't really noticed anything. Had a few headaches but nothing major. 

Just wanna thanks all you girls for all your information on here, it's been great for me to read as i'm just starting out on it! Really praying this tablet will be my holy grail!!!!! Il keep you updated!

Abby xxx

Edited by dizzyabby, 03 May 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#170 lifeinfaith

lifeinfaith

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

Hey Kelseylee -

Thanks for all the advice! I have always gone to Aveda Salons for hair cuts and loved them, it never occurred to me to use them for aestetician services. I will have to try calling them up and asking for the best extractor... I didn't really know you could do that. I wonder if I could ask what technique they use -hands v tool.

No, I am in CO Springs. But if you know of any places to recommend in the Denver area I would deffinitely make the drive.

Are you on any type of retinoid? I find that when I have done my own extractions while using retinoids it leaves terrible red marks and tears my skin. I have been off retin a micro for over a week now and the extractions I have done on myself have not left nearly the marks they usually make.

hey lifeinfaith,

I know what you're talking about with extractions. luckily I always seemed to find ppl that were good at them, but my problem would be that a few weeks later the same spots would refill. when I was younger, and barely had acne, this would'nt happen and a facial would make me feel great for a while, but part of this was how good my skin already was. anyway, i really think its up to the individual and not the tools they use etc. The lady I saw who was the best at it mostly only used her hands, and she was really fast. she unclogged my pores a lot like I would myself, with sort of a delicate but firm grasp and just pushing at angles on the skin, with tissue, to get all the stuff out. mine might be closer to the surface however which DEFINITELY  makes it easier. anything stuck below the surface she would just leave because it was too dangerous. or use the little tool which worked well most of the time. it did make me nervous towards the end though-making a little incision and then squeezing...back to the minor surgery analogy. actually one of the best extracters I ever had was when I got my eyebrows waxed at a really fancy hair salon. the lady was like oooh you have a milia right there can I get it for you. So she did and I barely felt a single thing she was so gentle and I think she got a few more. 

So my advice is don't necessarily go to a "medical" spa. I would find a really high end salon. I don't find that those salons are even more expensive necessarily, just that their ppl know what they're doing. Aveda salons are generally quite good, and when you call, ask for the person that does the best/knows the most about extractions. plain and simple. just be like, I want the best facialist and extractor you have. after I had a few facials with the lady who was really good, the desk girls were like "oh yeah shes definitely the best". I also found the best and most expensive hair salons (gary manuel) in the pacific northwest to have really good estheticians. Hence the lady that waxed my eyebrows. hope that helps. In some ways estheticians can vary in skill as much as a hair stylist or dermatologist, so don't go back to one who wasn't able to extract your pores as easily as YOU did at home, that's crazy. The micro and SA probably helped loosen up your pores, but still she should have been able to get most that gunk out. 

the last two times I got facials I had red spots all over my face and my skin just looked attacked, and that kind of freaked me out. I still have two more facials at an aveda salon in seattle that I will use w/o extractions. are you in the boulder, co area?

#171 kelseylee

kelseylee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

Hi no not on a retinoid...i've actually never been to a dermatologist and thank god its starting to get better cuz I would have otherwise. Yeah I think what she did was fine on my pores, it just looked worse in my head because my acne was worse and she had to do so many more extractions than normal. as you guys can prolly relate, it got worse really fast and definitely freaked me out. I went from having like some manageable clogged pores to having sooo many.

w/extractions it was mostly the problem that the pores would just re fill, and that's when I realized for me, extractions were sort of just covering up the problem. Albeit they are a very good cover up. and that might not even necessarily be true, maybe they are an effective acne cure, I just noticed mine kept refilling and I kept thinking ohhh shit. Now my face is purging like crazy. Any small blackhead has come to the surface and all the closed comodones are coming out. I have like 10 pores at all times that have pushed a thing out. My body is changing in other ways too, starting (verrry slowly) to go back to how it used to be, also when I had no acne. So that's good. Still tho, right now I have like five small whiteheads around my right lip area. ALso interesting-as my acne purges and gets better, my ezcema improves at the exact same rate. 

Honestly my skin kind of looks like I took accutane (for having mild/moderate acne). In the way that its behaving, purging like crazy. I think i'm having a healing crisis. I shld take a picture. I have been avoiding it cuz I don't really enjoy doing it and I don't have a mac anymore so I have to do it on my phone. But yeah the only products I use are african black soap and randomnly, salycilic acid (2%). I swing through periods of using black soap every day, every other day and stopping it for a little while. Right now i'm using it every day or every other day. But I notice as my body makes more fundamental, serious changes, I see how topicals matter less and less for me. They can do an excellent job controlling, but really (for me) acne comes from an inside level.  

my mom saw an esthetician for years who was a total professional, her name was sally. I remember even as a kid thinking she had the best skin. Luckily my skin always was a lot like my dads, he probably has never had a pimple in his life. However, when I started to get acne, my skin started behaving like my mom's! And she's had moderate acne her whole life. some cystic and clogged pores. But she also just trusted dermatologists her whole life and never believed it could be cured. She just treated it externally only I guess is what i'm saying. I googled "best estheticians colorado springs" and am looking @ results.

Edited by kelseylee, 03 May 2013 - 10:19 PM.

#172 lifeinfaith

lifeinfaith

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

I wish I was feeling like I was starting to heal. I am not sure I am on the downhill yet....its so hard to gauge. I have definitely been purging a lot lately, and actually since the microderm on Thursday, Friday evening a whole ton of clogged pores (like 8-10) around my jaw area looked real near the surface, and so I gently squeezed and they all kinda just came out. Additionally, this morning 2 clogs on my left cheek bone were looking kinda red/swollen and came out with some squeezes. None of them really left red marks so....im thinking its a lot easier to squeeze stuff out when not on retin a and maybe the microderm helped loosen stuff. I still have so many other clogs on my cheeks bones though and on the back of my jaw, and its so weird cause they're in the exact same place and pattern on each side of my face. I am thinking of rotating SA and retin a every other night so that maybe the SA helped dry stuff up that Retin a is trying to bring up. If I attempt another extraction appt next month I'll take a break from the retin a again. I really feel like the extractions can help since my issue is mostly tiny bumps that love to hang out under the skin. It just sucks getting them to come to the surface. I wonder what makes the difference between ones that come to the surface and make the skin red, swollena nd tender, and others that just kind push the little clog up and out without any irritation. Kelsey have you experienced both of this happening in your purging? 

In other news, my labs came in today. All my thyroid came in totally normal, estrogen  normal,  but my testosterone is really low. I didn't really expect that. If anything I would have though it to be high since all my life I have been thin with very little fat (low testosterone usually causes the opposite of this and make it hard for women to loose weight, especially fat) and have had oily skin. Unfortunately I don't have hormone tests from before I was on Spiro, so I am wondering if the Spiro is dropping my testosterone so low and if it could have even had that much of an effect in 2 weeks....my doc will be talking to me about it on Monday. 

#173 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 155
About Me

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:29 PM

Hi Everyone! Just been reading through all 9 pages of this and decided to join this website so I could join in the chat!! wavey.gif

I have been on 50mg of spironolactone for a week now. It was an absolute nightmare trying to get it prescribed in England, it seems here its rarely used for acne, and i had to go to the dermatologist with an arm load of research id gathered and a very persuasive pre-planned speech. She eventually agreed to let me try it but wanted me to have blood tests to check my potassium levels and hormones.

So, a bit of background, iv had acne since i was 11, im now 26. Iv done lots of antibiotics, dianette, yasmin, accutane 3 times, n litle laser treatment, duac, differin, epiduo, dalacin-t, benzoyl peroxide, paula's choice salicylic acid, dairy free diet, gluten free diet, sugar free diet, wild oregano oil. Basically, iv done everything! I had success with accutane but only whilst I was on it, a few months after id come off it my skin would break out again. I also had some success with dianette but my sister got a blood clot from the contraceptive pill and iv now been told i'm never allowed it again as i may have a genetic pre-disposition towards blood clots.

So the last few years iv been trying to cope by gently cleansing and using a combination of epiduo and duac, but things really got out of control recently. I had read a lot about spiro and had asked the doctor about it a few years back but she looked at me like i was an idiot and said it wasn't an acne drug. So anyway, this time i was determined to be taken seriously, and by some miracle i actually got prescribed it!

So right, its been a week at 50mg and so far i havn't really noticed anything. Had a few headaches but nothing major. 

Just wanna thanks all you girls for all your information on here, it's been great for me to read as i'm just starting out on it! Really praying this tablet will be my holy grail!!!!! Il keep you updated!

Abby xxx

Hey Abby, welcome to my Log. Im happy you actually read through all the information!

Good luck and do keep us updated :)

I wish I was feeling like I was starting to heal. I am not sure I am on the downhill yet....its so hard to gauge. I have definitely been purging a lot lately, and actually since the microderm on Thursday, Friday evening a whole ton of clogged pores (like 8-10) around my jaw area looked real near the surface, and so I gently squeezed and they all kinda just came out. Additionally, this morning 2 clogs on my left cheek bone were looking kinda red/swollen and came out with some squeezes. None of them really left red marks so....im thinking its a lot easier to squeeze stuff out when not on retin a and maybe the microderm helped loosen stuff. I still have so many other clogs on my cheeks bones though and on the back of my jaw, and its so weird cause they're in the exact same place and pattern on each side of my face. I am thinking of rotating SA and retin a every other night so that maybe the SA helped dry stuff up that Retin a is trying to bring up. If I attempt another extraction appt next month I'll take a break from the retin a again. I really feel like the extractions can help since my issue is mostly tiny bumps that love to hang out under the skin. It just sucks getting them to come to the surface. I wonder what makes the difference between ones that come to the surface and make the skin red, swollena nd tender, and others that just kind push the little clog up and out without any irritation. Kelsey have you experienced both of this happening in your purging? 

In other news, my labs came in today. All my thyroid came in totally normal, estrogen  normal,  but my testosterone is really low. I didn't really expect that. If anything I would have though it to be high since all my life I have been thin with very little fat (low testosterone usually causes the opposite of this and make it hard for women to loose weight, especially fat) and have had oily skin. Unfortunately I don't have hormone tests from before I was on Spiro, so I am wondering if the Spiro is dropping my testosterone so low and if it could have even had that much of an effect in 2 weeks....my doc will be talking to me about it on Monday. 

Hi Lifeinfaith, that is strange about the testosterone. Thats great that everything else is normal though. Sometimes I don't know if I completely agree with the blood results for hormone testing seen as though throughout your menstrual cycle our hormones are up and down. Did you get your blood taken on a certain time of your period, ie before it or straight after it kind of thing?

I don't think the Spiro could be dropping so low this soon, let us know how the talk with your doctor goes.

DIET
ACCUMAX - 2000iu Vitamin A: 19·6mg Vitamin E: 40mg Vitamin C: 80mg DIM
Solgar - Vitamin A - 5000iu. 
Limited dairy/gluten - everything in moderation.

#174 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 155
About Me

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

Day 82 - 25mg -- AGAIN

Ooookay guys. Long update I know. I have something to say though.

I have decided to quit the Spiro. I am going to be doing this by progressively cutting down - 25mg for 1 weeks then 25mg every second day for the 2nd and 3rd week and then the 4th week once per week and I will hopefully stop on the 5th.

Ive just had enough. Its the weight side of things. I know that not everyone experiences weight changes, but I tell you I certainly HAVE. Its weird its like my body does not register when I am full and I crave ALOT of sugary things and junk food basically. Ive deffo gained some and Im not weighing myself because it will upset me.

My weight has been a BIG issue for me all my life really, more or less anyway. Now that my body is alot curvier - I hate it. I know it may sound daft since Im not fat or anything but I would rather be sa bit thinner and leaner and if I stay on the Spiro I know I won't be that, no matter how much I work out.

I am actually ecxited to stop it completely and see how things change, I actually think my skin looks better now after being on Skinoren for the past 4 weeks as opposed to being on the Spiro - its obviously hard to tell.

It makes sense though that whilst the testosterone decreases, estrogen is raised, therefore it will be hard to maintain muscle mass Im presuming, which would make sense tbh. I have also got ALOT more cellulite, and Im sorry but for me Im just not keen on this side-effect.

I will be clear AND smooth one day and totally love my appearance, and whether that be now or later I need to accept that it WILL come to me. Ive met a few lovely people from starting this Log, I shant name names, but you know who you are!! And I am glad I started it because there is ALOT of GOOOOD info on this Log which would never have come to the surface (haha clogged pore anyone?) if I had not started it.

So good luck everyone with YOUR Spiro journey. Remember we're all so so different, and we need to listen to our bodies and do whats right for us. If we believe something will work for US then most often it will come true for US.

xoxox

DIET
ACCUMAX - 2000iu Vitamin A: 19·6mg Vitamin E: 40mg Vitamin C: 80mg DIM
Solgar - Vitamin A - 5000iu. 
Limited dairy/gluten - everything in moderation.

#175 lifeinfaith

lifeinfaith

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

Abby xxx

Hey Abby, welcome to my Log. Im happy you actually read through all the information!

Good luck and do keep us updated smile.png

>I wish I was feeling like I was starting to heal. I am not sure I am on the downhill yet....its so hard to gauge. I have definitely been purging a lot lately, and actually since the microderm on Thursday, Friday evening a whole ton of clogged pores (like 8-10) around my jaw area looked real near the surface, and so I gently squeezed and they all kinda just came out. Additionally, this morning 2 clogs on my left cheek bone were looking kinda red/swollen and came out with some squeezes. None of them really left red marks so....im thinking its a lot easier to squeeze stuff out when not on retin a and maybe the microderm helped loosen stuff. I still have so many other clogs on my cheeks bones though and on the back of my jaw, and its so weird cause they're in the exact same place and pattern on each side of my face. I am thinking of rotating SA and retin a every other night so that maybe the SA helped dry stuff up that Retin a is trying to bring up. If I attempt another extraction appt next month I'll take a break from the retin a again. I really feel like the extractions can help since my issue is mostly tiny bumps that love to hang out under the skin. It just sucks getting them to come to the surface. I wonder what makes the difference between ones that come to the surface and make the skin red, swollena nd tender, and others that just kind push the little clog up and out without any irritation. Kelsey have you experienced both of this happening in your purging? 

Hi Lifeinfaith, that is strange about the testosterone. Thats great that everything else is normal though. Sometimes I don't know if I completely agree with the blood results for hormone testing seen as though throughout your menstrual cycle our hormones are up and down. Did you get your blood taken on a certain time of your period, ie before it or straight after it kind of thing?

I don't think the Spiro could be dropping so low this soon, let us know how the talk with your doctor goes.

It was a little before my period so I don't know if that makes a difference with T. I have a feeling he is going to refer me to an endo and Ill have to wait like 3 weeks to get in. I wonder if it is ok to continue on Spiro with it being so low. I have also been chronically stressed for months...which produces an overage of cortisol which I read kills testosterone.....

Sierra - 

When you were on Spiro the first time, did you have any side effects? I just had my hormones tested and everything came back normal except my Testosterone...its real low..which is bizarre because I have always been really lean and gained muscle easily...I am wondering if they will want me to come off Spiro since my T is already so low. My skin is sooooooo oily though!

Hi Stacey!

I'm happy to see someone else is just starting spironolactone.  I've been on it for five weeks now at 200 mg per day.  I'm finally starting to see a little bit of a shift in my skin, but it's slow, I mean REALLY slow going. 

The good news is I've been here before.  A few years ago I went on spiro and I remember it took 3-4 months to really work.  I know it can be much faster for some people, but for me it took some time and it got worse before it got better.  But I KNOW it works.  Patience is the toughest part, but I really encourage you to keep hanging out here on acne.org.  Support is crucial.

I am personally too embarassed to tell my friends.  Even my boyfriend hates me right now because he doesn't know why I'm avoiding him.  So it's nice to have people to talk to here.

Keep us updated with your progress.  Just a note.  I've heard about many ladies who started on low doses of Spiro and when it didn't work for them their doctors upped the dose and it made all the difference in their skin.  Starting small is always a great idea though.  Just know that you have that option.

Sierra

#176 kelseylee

kelseylee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

Hi lifeinfaith! Im gonna respond to you first then read the other new stuff smile.png

Oh man-I have DEFINITELY experienced clogged pores coming out both inflamed and benignly. I'm actually not always sure what is what; if a pimple is just an angry pimple or if it was a clogged pore that was on its way out or both. I think I get whiteheads (inflamed acne/breakouts), inflamed clogged pores AND non inflamed clogged pores. I get mostly the first and the last though. Most of my clogged pores unclog with no inflammation but some come up with moderate inflammation (red around the edges as it comes out).. 

I think that's great you were able to unclog so many pores, and with ease too. Its all achieving the same goal, and sometimes it takes a while to realize you've made progress even when you are. I have the exact same thing with patterns. My acne is symmetrical for the most part. I actually took a few pics so I should post those. they're close ups of my forehead and cheek. 

god I hope I'm on the downhill of healing, idk where i'm at really I just try to think positive. I know i'm better than where I was a few months ago, and that's what I try to tell myself. I'm still having bouts of anxiety and am learning how to accept them whilst also try to change the fact that they happen, which is confusing. Like, I know part of the reason I have bad anxiety is cuz i'm teriffied of anxiety in of itself, and I need to just accept it more as a feeling. But I also know its unhealthy to have as high levels of anxiety as I do.I think it all comes down to feelings I still need to work through and "release" in therapy.

Extra caffeine is definitely a trigger for me. I do love some caffeine, like really love coffee, but I have trouble balancing just enough vs too much. Like today I thought, just one more sip of this coffee. And then I started feeling anxious after that last sip and was like uh oh. I had gone from feeling upbeat and energetic to the dizzy, exhausted feeling of anxiety. So I walked around downtown sweating for a few hours lol and tried to chill. As I was having the fear, I was trying to understand what my fears were really about. Cuz I just sort of feel this paralyzing, bleak fear in my chest. It is even a kind of paranoia. Like if I see a dog from blocks away i'll be like omg what if it decides to come after me. Whereas if i'm not having anxiety, I wouldn't even think of that. It's also harder to interact w/ppl in these states. and that's putting it mildly.

The interesting thing about my experience with panic attacks is that my experience with them hasn't evolved how I thought it might. I figured one day they would just stop and I would have this miracle breakthrough and never have one again and it would be this big epiphany. Welp, thats not really how its going. It's more that my attacks have gotten just less and less over time, like a gradual scaling down. And rather then them stopping abruptly, it's almost like they're more vivid and i'm MORE aware of my own feelings/fears/anxiety, its just that i'm better at coping with it. And not spending all my energy running away from it at full force. I thought someday I would reach an absence of such strong feelings and anxiety and feel really empowered. And its more like its all become more intense before it even gets better. This is why life is hard. But Im trying to understand how to relate to these feelings better. I do hope eventually I won't feel so much fear, and i'm hoping EMDR will continue to help with that. 

How are you doing lifeinfaith? Did you move again yet? moving is really tough for me; I even had to have my mom and her boyfriend do pretty much all the moving last time cuz I felt so shitty. Then I felt guilty for accepting so much help. but sometimes you just have to say enough with feeling bad for twelve different reasons all the time. I like the website xojane, they have some interesting, thoughtful articles and give me a more human perspective on my own guilt and feelings. 

Edited by kelseylee, 05 May 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#177 kelseylee

kelseylee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

ddammit i just looked in the mirror and I have three bad whiteheads. so now i am eating cookies.

#178 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:42 AM

Day 82 - 25mg -- AGAIN

Ooookay guys. Long update I know. I have something to say though.

I have decided to quit the Spiro. I am going to be doing this by progressively cutting down - 25mg for 1 weeks then 25mg every second day for the 2nd and 3rd week and then the 4th week once per week and I will hopefully stop on the 5th.

Ive just had enough. Its the weight side of things. I know that not everyone experiences weight changes, but I tell you I certainly HAVE. Its weird its like my body does not register when I am full and I crave ALOT of sugary things and junk food basically. Ive deffo gained some and Im not weighing myself because it will upset me.

My weight has been a BIG issue for me all my life really, more or less anyway. Now that my body is alot curvier - I hate it. I know it may sound daft since Im not fat or anything but I would rather be sa bit thinner and leaner and if I stay on the Spiro I know I won't be that, no matter how much I work out.

I am actually ecxited to stop it completely and see how things change, I actually think my skin looks better now after being on Skinoren for the past 4 weeks as opposed to being on the Spiro - its obviously hard to tell.

It makes sense though that whilst the testosterone decreases, estrogen is raised, therefore it will be hard to maintain muscle mass Im presuming, which would make sense tbh. I have also got ALOT more cellulite, and Im sorry but for me Im just not keen on this side-effect.

I will be clear AND smooth one day and totally love my appearance, and whether that be now or later I need to accept that it WILL come to me. Ive met a few lovely people from starting this Log, I shant name names, but you know who you are!! And I am glad I started it because there is ALOT of GOOOOD info on this Log which would never have come to the surface (haha clogged pore anyone?) if I had not started it.

So good luck everyone with YOUR Spiro journey. Remember we're all so so different, and we need to listen to our bodies and do whats right for us. If we believe something will work for US then most often it will come true for US.

xoxox

Stacey, i'm sorry that this was not the solution for you but you have to do what's best for you!  You listened to your body loud and clear and obviously Spiro wasn't it.  I am glad that skinorean is working for you though!  What other internal changes are you considering if any?

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end.  Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

#179 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

Hi! Don't come off the Spiro! I also have very, very low testosterone. Spiro should not be impacting it this quickly, if at all. My endo said that Spiro should not change your hormone levels although I know others disagree. It does not matter if you have low testosterone and don't let them tell you to come off. Here's why - the blood test only measures your serum testosterone levels - those circulating in your blood. You have testosterone that is also circulating in your skin and is being converted to the more potent DHT by enzymes occurring in your skin. It is then processed by androgen receptors that exist in your skin! None of this can be measured by a test - you would have to do a biopsy. Spiro works by blocking those receptors in your skin. I have discussed this extensively with my endo. Also, Sierra on this thread has very low testosterone and Spiro has worked for her. So don't give up! It is so frustrating not being able to know exactly what is wrong - I feel the same way.

#180 lifeinfaith

lifeinfaith

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

Kelsey I will post some pics! Its so hard to know if you are really progressing when you see your face every single day. My husband tells me it is, but I usually don't believe him. 

I went all out and squeezed my pores last night. I was controlled about it and my husband helped me...I steamed and prepped my face with out humidifer and then went about squeezing every clogged pore in sight.....I just couldn't stand having all that gunk right at the surface all over my cheeks anymore and my $100 estetician appt this past week was unhelpful. I will be paying for it over the next few days as swelling and red marks from squeezing go away...but I hope to God that this is one of the last major rounds of clogged pores that has come up. I squeezed a bunch of stuff out. There are still some of course, but just kind of a scattering of small ones not so densely populated is what I am hoping. We shall see over the next few days. 

I did stupidly mess with a tiny mila under my left eye in the tender skin area and so now it looks like I got punched in the eye....go me.  arghhhh

Pics! http://www.acne.org/...ession-of-face/

Michi -

Talked to my doc about my low Testosterone today. He said its not significantly low to where we would do anything about it. (7 on a 8-48 scale) So....guess I shouldn't worry? How low is your T and do you have noticeable issues from it? All that info is great to know, thanks for sharing. That stuff is all so complicated.

Hi! Don't come off the Spiro! I also have very, very low testosterone. Spiro should not be impacting it this quickly, if at all. My endo said that Spiro should not change your hormone levels although I know others disagree. It does not matter if you have low testosterone and don't let them tell you to come off. Here's why - the blood test only measures your serum testosterone levels - those circulating in your blood. You have testosterone that is also circulating in your skin and is being converted to the more potent DHT by enzymes occurring in your skin. It is then processed by androgen receptors that exist in your skin! None of this can be measured by a test - you would have to do a biopsy. Spiro works by blocking those receptors in your skin. I have discussed this extensively with my endo. Also, Sierra on this thread has very low testosterone and Spiro has worked for her. So don't give up! It is so frustrating not being able to know exactly what is wrong - I feel the same way.