Photo

Stacey's Spiro Log.

spiro spironolactone clogged pores estrogen progesterone testosterone breakout spots red marks tea tree oil

226 replies to this topic

#121 skindeepstory

skindeepstory

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me
  • Interests:Nutrition, Holistic Health, Yoga, Running, Hiking, Cooking, Movies, Music, Aesthetics, Skincare and Cosmetology

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

Day 60 - week 8 - 50mg -- Holy Bajeesus

Brace yourselves...

my skin looks good today. I am overwhelmed about it, mostly underneath my eye area on both sides is CLEAR and my cheeks are looking good. Even though I can still feel bumps on my cheeks, like maybe 6/7 on the right and 12/13 on left it looooks good. I have a redness/rosy tinge actually, maybe Im flustered? Maybe its the fact I have my period? I don't know. All I know my skin doesn't look bad at all, I guess its a good day with it today, I mean its faaar from perfect but it doesn't look as inflamed or anything you know?

Although I do have a bit more SMALL underskin bumps around my jaw area than I normally do. I also have a cyst at the corner of my mouth which is taking agessss to heal.

Just a quick update there to say that really AND also let you know that my date last night went well. He was a nice guy, we chatted and got on really well, made each other laugh etc...but I can't see us being anything more than friends. So Im still on the hunt for a man, and one that would accept all my flaws, especially my skin smile.png

I'm SOOOOO happy for you Stacey!  Woohoo!!!  Soak it in and enjoy the freedom.  You absolutely deserve it.

I just read the comment above from breakthehabit8 and I love what she said: "The thing I've noticed about Spiro is that it's a roller coaster healing process for sure... but fortunately, the overall trend is up!"  I think this is so true.  At least it's been the case for me.

Is there anything in particular you think is starting to make the difference in your skin?  The higher dose of spiro?  Just being on it for a longer period of time?  How many weeks has it been now?

I also love that you're going on dates and looking for someone who will accept you just as you are.  Having such bad acne has really helped me see that my friends, family and boyfriend genuinely love me no matter what I look like or how depressed and antisocial I may be.  It's been a real blessing in that department. 

It's been a while since I gave you an update but my skin is looking UH-MAZING!  Okay, amazing for someone who is still covered in acne scars...but still!  I can't believe it.  I barely have any pimples and the ones that exist are small.  I haven't had a cystic pimple in a week.  Not ONE!  I knew going in to this process that spiro takes time to do its magic, but somewhere along the line I lost faith.  My initial breakout was so horrendous and LONG I was having doubts.  Well, my faith is renewed! 

One thing I notice is that even though my skin is improving dramatically, I am still in the mindset of someone that is covered in pimples.  I get nervous about wearing makeup and eating things that will break me out.  I still don't go out as much as I want to because I'm worried about my skin.  I still avoid mirrors somewhat and look for shadows to stand in when I'm in public or hanging out with friends.  It's strange... I compare it to someone who just lost a lot of weight but still sees themselves as that overweight person. 

Anyway, I'm planning on doing photos every four weeks so I'll post new ones next week when I'll have been on spiro a full 16 weeks.  I'm actually excited to take them this time smile.png

Again, I'm so happy for you Stacey.  Stay optimistic and trust that things are looking up!

xo

Sierra

skindeepstory.wordpress.com

Edited by skindeepstory, 14 April 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#122 skindeepstory

skindeepstory

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Nutrition, Holistic Health, Yoga, Running, Hiking, Cooking, Movies, Music, Aesthetics, Skincare and Cosmetology

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

Hi ladies!!

So my spiro got upped to 150mgs last week, and I have to say I think it's making a world of difference!! I'm also at 13 weeks, so I'm assuming that's helping too, but other than a two minor cysts this week, things have really calmed down!! If you're questioning whether to stay on it or not, I would suggest upping your dose if you can.

I was thinking a lot about the whole drinking thing this week because I'm going out this weekend for my birthday and I just kind of want to let loose. I'm curious to see how my body responds next week... I'll let you know.

Also, I've been doing some research into mario badescu products, because I've heard lots of good things about their buffering lotion--it's meant specifically for cysts! The best part is, the company will send you free samples of any of their products if you call and do a skin consultation with them. I figure it's worth a shot since all the reviews have been positive. Have any of you used the mario badescu products before??

Hope everyone is doing well... keep me updated on your progress!

Xoxo,

Theresa

Yaaaaay!!  That's fantastic Theresa smile.png

I vote that you should treat yourself on your birthday.  Don't worry about your skin for one day and just enjoy the moment. 

I really think upping the dose of spiro makes the biggest difference.  I've read so many posts about women who are having no results or even worse skin on spiro and then their doctor gives them a higher dose and suddenly they clear up. 

I'm at 14 weeks on spiro and also see the results happening.  I feel like we are kind of on the same track!  I noticed our skin started clearing up around the same time.  Mine was 13 weeks too.  I've never heard of the Mario Badescu products but would love to know if they work for you.

Speaking of new products...I spent some money (okay, a good chunk of change) and I bought two things I'm so excited about.

1st: The PMD (Personal Microderm Device).  Most people say it's just as good as a professional microdermabrasion.  Now that my skin is clearing I can start working on the dryness, scarring and the new wrinkles that arised from my harsh topicals (Acanya and HQRA).  I can't wait!  I won't be able to test it out for another week because I'm getting my second salicylic acid peel tomorrow.  I'll tell everyone how it goes.

Link to PMD: http://www.shopnbc.c...em/300-699.aspx

2nd:  The High Frequency D'arsonal Professional Grade Device.  I know.  WHAT?!  It looks like it's from NASA but it's so cool!  Whenever I get facials the aesthetician always uses it at the end to kill bacteria after extractions and can basically zap zits.  Have you heard of the Zeno Zit Zapper?  It's kind of like that but on steroids.  There are all these different shaped electrodes with argon gas (for acneic skin) and neon gas (for aging skin).  I used it for the first time last night and my skin is looking fantastic.  I had a binge I'm not proud of yesterday where I had tons of ice cream, dairy, gluten, oreos, candy (omg so much candy), quesadillas, pizza, and even more that I honestly can't remember.  It was such a whirlind of eating...ugh. So normally I would wake up with tons of new inflammed zits from the binge but not today.  Not one new zit.  I credit that to the D'Arsonal HF Device. 

Link to High Frequency D'arsonal Professional Grade Device: http://www.new-spa.u...of/lid=19346376

I know these items are expensive, but for the amount I spend on facials, these do the exact same thing for a fraction and in the comfort of my own home.  Plus I can afford to do them more often now which is great.  If you look around If you're interested in either of these and want more info I can give you more details.  There are a lot of good youtube video reviews for the PMD and written reviews for the D'Arsonal that I can send you.

Okay, that is all for today.  Sorry for the once again super long-winded post.  I just get so excited to talk to you ladies and I'm thrilled to hear that we all finally have good news to share!

xo

Sierra

Edited by skindeepstory, 14 April 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#123 skindeepstory

skindeepstory

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

reading this book about (chronic emotional) stress has literally put the fear in me in terms of realizing the importance of expressing emotions healthily, working through them and maintaining a positive internal mental/physical state. you get no extra "points" in life by being a self-critical, spiteful perfectionist (towards yourself) with low self esteem. In fact, doing these things makes achieving goals much harder, and only makes me seem more self absorbed by tearing myself down and not being emotionally open to others. and caused me to develop panic attacks. Anyway, this is sort of off topic but it has been completely related to my skin issues as i have seen firsthand.  

speaking of expressing emotions, my mom is kind of driving me nuts. i'm not working right now, so i interact with her often and I guess I feel like she prefers to talk about surface level, practical things and pretty much nothing else. she'll talk to me about groceries, taxes, bills, unemployment, doctors appts, traveling etc etc and surfacey level anecdotes about her sisters. I prefer to talk about more varied and interesting things. so i guess i feel kind of stifled and hopeless, anytime i talk about something abstract she doesn't really have anything to say. I would like to just get a job, but I had a lot of bad anxiety experiences at my last job so i'm trying to work through that enough to prevent it from happening again. feel kind of trapped i guess. anyway, anyone else struggling to connect with family members/friends? xxxx

OMG, I'm so sorry to post so much today but I haven't been on in a while and wanted to respond to this post too. 

Really quickly, Kelsey, what you wrote really hit a chord with me.  I'd love to know what book you are talking about.  The chronic emotional stress from having severe acne, being a perfectionist, and having wacked out hormones (PCOS) that create depression and anxiety has been crippling in my life.  I am just now seeing the clouds lifted, but I still have a lotof emotional work to do. 

I also just recently lost my job!  I hated my last two jobs so losing this one has really been a blessing.  I lost my job in January and have spent the downtime really gaining perspective on what i want from life, from my career, and how I can make sure that I'm never so unhappy and out of control of my own destiny ever again.  I'm really happy to say I've pulled a total 180 from my old desk job and decided to head to aesthetician school in August!  I'm finally excited about the future again and I haven't felt this way in years. 

All that being said, I think you are in exactly the right place.  Don't be afraid to dream outside of the box and pursue what makes you happy without compromise.  You have to power to shape your life exactly how you want to. 

xo

Sierra

P.S. my mom is driving me nuts too.  since i lost my job i had to move back in with my parents - at age 29. yes, so embarassing.  she won't leave me alone. but, i know it's all out of love and i appreciate the free rent wink.png

Edited by skindeepstory, 14 April 2013 - 03:33 PM.

#124 kelseylee

kelseylee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

You have to power to shape your life exactly how you want to. 

This is great! and true, it's just about figuring out how to access that power, which is waht i'm trying to do smile.png. The book I was referencing, i'm just finishing it now, is called When the Body Says No: exploring the stress-disease connection. Now to be honest, it's actually a very negatively toned book in many ways. for one, the content is horrifically negative; the majority of the text is made up by anecdotal stories/interviews with chronically ill patients. Cancer, ms, als, ibd, alzheimers, rheumatoid arthritis, etc. The rest is scientific content and loose psychological theory about how early childhood development shapes our later behavioral patterns, coping skills and "personality". I brought the book to my counselor, and as she skimmed through it she was like, "Yeah....yeah....no...no this is not good for you to be reading". LOL. I thought for a day I had ms after reading the in depth chapter on the disease. So it now appears I am more of an anxious hypochondriac overly stimulated by things I read ;-). I did decide to finish the book and i'm glad because the end has more pearls of (positive) wisdom and less dread/we're all screwed mentality. 

Another great book, albeit sort of controversial, is Louise Hay's You Can Heal Your Life. She's written others but I purchased this one-- my really smart friend was reading it so I bought it. When I say controversial I basically mean that she has some weird beliefs like "we choose our parents" (we literally come to planet earth and pick out our parents) "we cause our cancer through resentment/cancer is healed through releasing resentment" etc. Having known a few ppl with cancer, this is a complex and potentially loaded statement. anyway, all of these controversial statements are meant to ultimately allow us to gain our power back, so it's not based in as much negativity as it seems. Reading has been at least good brain exercise to get myself to focus on the more rational, well thought beliefs I have and see where the fear based, insecure feelings come from, which is supposedly the less evolved/advanced part of brain. 

Congrats about your skin-strangely I'm kind of breaking out right now and i'm on my (beginning) of the third packet of birth control. I have stopped squeezing my face in any way shape or form, so at least now when I get zits I don't have the emotional stress of feeling like I have to "do" something and then feeling all bad CUZ I did something. THis is the worst pattern lol. my insight to anyone is to just stop, completely, touching your face in any way unless your a trained esthetician. Oh that brings me to your comment about going into esthetician school-that is so freaking cool...it sounds like something that you are very passionate about, which really, and esp in light of all the things i've been reading, is one of the biggest predictors of health/happiness: spending your time invested in something you are passionate about so that your days are filled with empowerment and joy instead of stress and turmoil when you're doing something your heart isn't in. Anyway I've got more to update but I'll put this out here and hope everyone is doing well! 

Edited by kelseylee, 14 April 2013 - 09:36 PM.

#125 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 155
About Me
  • Interests:Fitness, good food, reading blogs, spiritualism, learning, self-medicating.

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:22 AM

Going to read all updates later, but I just wanted to quckly say: My boobs are much bigger, probably like half a cup size. Im kind of freaking out about this because the last thing I want is to feel "fat" you know. I think with my history of anorexia I just...I don't know, I was happy with my weight last year like in August when I was 110/112lbs but even though Im not huge by any means - like obese or anything like that - it just feels so strange looking more womanly.

Its hard mentally to be totally honest to see my boobs this big, I know I probably should not be complaining since alot of woman would kill for bigger boobs. But since I have been a healthier weight the past year and a half, my boobs were a steady 30B/C and I am convined Im not probably a 32C maybe even 34B - I dont know how American bra sizes work but basically, the numbers "30,32,34" is BACK size. And the letters "A,B,C,D etc." is CUP size.  

#126 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Fitness, good food, reading blogs, spiritualism, learning, self-medicating.

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

I'm SOOOOO happy for you Stacey!  Woohoo!!!  Soak it in and enjoy the freedom.  You absolutely deserve it.

I just read the comment above from breakthehabit8 and I love what she said: "The thing I've noticed about Spiro is that it's a roller coaster healing process for sure... but fortunately, the overall trend is up!"  I think this is so true.  At least it's been the case for me.

Is there anything in particular you think is starting to make the difference in your skin?  The higher dose of spiro?  Just being on it for a longer period of time?  How many weeks has it been now?

I also love that you're going on dates and looking for someone who will accept you just as you are.  Having such bad acne has really helped me see that my friends, family and boyfriend genuinely love me no matter what I look like or how depressed and antisocial I may be.  It's been a real blessing in that department. 

It's been a while since I gave you an update but my skin is looking UH-MAZING!  Okay, amazing for someone who is still covered in acne scars...but still!  I can't believe it.  I barely have any pimples and the ones that exist are small.  I haven't had a cystic pimple in a week.  Not ONE!  I knew going in to this process that spiro takes time to do its magic, but somewhere along the line I lost faith.  My initial breakout was so horrendous and LONG I was having doubts.  Well, my faith is renewed! 

One thing I notice is that even though my skin is improving dramatically, I am still in the mindset of someone that is covered in pimples.  I get nervous about wearing makeup and eating things that will break me out.  I still don't go out as much as I want to because I'm worried about my skin.  I still avoid mirrors somewhat and look for shadows to stand in when I'm in public or hanging out with friends.  It's strange... I compare it to someone who just lost a lot of weight but still sees themselves as that overweight person. 

Anyway, I'm planning on doing photos every four weeks so I'll post new ones next week when I'll have been on spiro a full 16 weeks.  I'm actually excited to take them this time smile.png

Again, I'm so happy for you Stacey.  Stay optimistic and trust that things are looking up!

xo

Sierra

Thankyou Sierra, really. I did really really feel awesome about my skin that day. The past couple days I haven't felt "oh my god my skin.." blah blah, so this is a good sign to I believe. I was extremely gutted at the beginning of last week about my skin, since I actually got "tagged" on facebook with an unflatering photo of myself. The lighting in the pub I was in just totally made my face look a MESS, you know? Like all congested and just ugh.

I have been using this Skinoren the past week, and actually I think this will help my skin alot, I really have alot of hope for it - even though I vowed NEVER to use topicals again. The thing is, ever since I started using it my skin has seemed just better, ie. my forhead bumps are not all over the place and inflamed, bumps are coming to the surface so I can actually treat them with Tea Tree and get rid of them, my cheeks are a little smoother, and my pores are larger and not congested with a spot! Also my skin is LESS DRY.

My skin is always usually dry, this was something which made me think, will Spiro not work for then? Since obviously I don't have super oily skin, as fro reading about hormones and stuff it seems that testosterone makes acne sufferers have OILY skin. I dunno.

In a way I am glad Im on Spiro and I keep thinking when that does totally kick in and the Skinoren DOES work fully and improves my skins appearance, I believe Spiro will help in stopping any more spots coming, Im hoping anyway...Im hoping to actually be fully clear in about 3 months so around Day 150 or something? Is that too far-fetched lol?

The only thing I am really upset about is my changing body shape. I fear that coming off it (if I ever do) would result in me never losing weight. Ive read about alot of woman like on other sites which have had weight troubles after they come off the Spiro. I know everyone is different though, lets just hope I can get the body of my dreams this year whilst on Spiro!

Sierra I am seriously overwhelmed with your success. I am so happy for you. You must feel awesome, and well done on going back to college in the August. You are right about shaping your future when you have the right mindset. Sadly Ive always wanted to be a gymnast/athlete but it has never happened lol. And it probably never will. Im going to check out the links of the products you purchased and maybe ask questions if I fancy them, the High Frequency thingy sounds very intriguing. One thing though, if I do still have active acne would these prosucts maybe not work for me? Like, do you need to just have Hyperpigmentation marks and stuff?

Again, Im truly chuffed for you :)

#127 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

Hi ladies. Thought I'd chime in as I"m also on Spiro (the brand name Aldactone) and just passed the 12 week point. You all seem really nice so hope you don't mind me tagging along:) To give a brief history - I have had acne ONLY around my chin since I was 19 (I'm 32). I also have facial hair. But the wierd thing is that my testosterone is very low. So the endocrinologist thinks it might be high testosterone circulating just in the skin so Spiro may still work. So I have to say that 12 weeks in I am not really seeing anything good. I am still oily and I feel like my sex drive is HIGHER, which could mean Spiro is stimulating the androgen receptors instead of blocking them (which can happen if you don't have enough testosterone for it to bind with). My endo says it takes 6-9 months for it to work so I'm going to hang on. I have a follow up appointment with him on Friday and I'll see where my hormones are. Does anyone else here have low tesosterone?

#128 skindeepstory

skindeepstory

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

Im going to check out the links of the products you purchased and maybe ask questions if I fancy them, the High Frequency thingy sounds very intriguing. One thing though, if I do still have active acne would these prosucts maybe not work for me? Like, do you need to just have Hyperpigmentation marks and stuff?

Thanks Stacey!

Skinoren sounds really interesting! Looking forward to hearing how it works for you.

As for the two products I mentioned, I wouldn't use the PMD (Personal Microderm Device) until your acne has mostly cleared.  It's not good to use on active acne but it's great when it comes to scarring and evening skin tone and texture as well as preventing breakouts. 

However, you can definitely use the D'Arsonal Professional Grade High Frequency Device on active acne.  It's really gentle and effective, specifically on active breakouts.  So far I'm still in love with it!

Another device you might look into once your cystic acne is gone is the Clarisonic.  It's kind of similar to the PMD in that it exfoliates, reduces wrinkles, uneven skintone and helps prevent breakouts.  They have a Clarisonic that is specifically for acne and I've heard great things about it, but I've also read that it's best for mild to moderate acne, not severe or cystic.  I just got the Clarisonic Mia 2 with a "delicate" brush brand new on ebay for $67 (normally $149)!!  I'll let you know how it works.  I

Here's the link to Clarisonic reviews from acne.org: http://www.acne.org/.../421/page1.html

smile.png

Sierra

P.S. So sorry about being tagged on FB with a bad photo.  That's like my nightmare...I totally understand.  Hope you untagged yourself.  If you're really uncomfortable maybe you can request that the person take it down. 

P.P.S.  So interesting to hear about your history with anorexia.  I also have a history with binge eating and anorexia (not bulimia thank goodness - could never figure out the throwing up thing).  I really wonder if there is a connection with acne, PCOS and disordered eating because I've heard it come up from several people on acne.org.  I think it has to do with the perfectionist nature of who we are that perhaps has something to do with causing these "imperfections" like acne, weight gain, etc.  Also, my breasts have grown at least 1/2 a cup size too, but my bf seems to like it so I'm not so worried.  Just trying to focus on the fact that he still thinks I'm beautiful.  I did notice that I have to work harder to keep my weight down since starting spiro.  I was at 115, now more like 120, but I look totally different/curvier.

Hi ladies. Thought I'd chime in as I"m also on Spiro (the brand name Aldactone) and just passed the 12 week point. You all seem really nice so hope you don't mind me tagging along:) To give a brief history - I have had acne ONLY around my chin since I was 19 (I'm 32). I also have facial hair. But the wierd thing is that my testosterone is very low. So the endocrinologist thinks it might be high testosterone circulating just in the skin so Spiro may still work. So I have to say that 12 weeks in I am not really seeing anything good. I am still oily and I feel like my sex drive is HIGHER, which could mean Spiro is stimulating the androgen receptors instead of blocking them (which can happen if you don't have enough testosterone for it to bind with). My endo says it takes 6-9 months for it to work so I'm going to hang on. I have a follow up appointment with him on Friday and I'll see where my hormones are. Does anyone else here have low tesosterone?

Hi Michi! 

So happy you chimed in.  I also have low testosterone but all of the symptoms of someone with high testosterone - specifically severe acne and mild hirsuitism among others.  One of my doctors diagnosed me with PCOS but my other doctor kind of "un-diagnosed" me based on my low testosterone and perfect cholesterol and glucose levels.  Very frustrating not understanding why I have these symptoms.  I also have low estrogen - do you?

I can tell you that spiro is totally working for me.  I'm almost at week 16 and only started seeing a real difference at week 13.  It just seems to be getting better and better now.  I'm also on a birth control called Zovia which I started at the same time. 

While it's working for me, it seems like our experience is very different.  My oiliness went away pretty much immediately when I started.  My sex drive was gone the first couple months but around the time that my skin started clearing it started slowly coming back.  I don't expect it to ever be where it was though.  That's just my experience having been on the spiro and BC protocol before.

Would love to get an update from you.  Really curious since I haven't met anyone else with low testosterone and all the PCOS symptoms. 

Wishing you lots of luck!!

Sierra

Edited by skindeepstory, 16 April 2013 - 12:47 PM.

#129 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

Hey Sierra! Wow it gives me hope that Spiro is working for you. Interestingly, I really thought I noticed a reduction in oil the first couple months but now when I blot there is certainly a lot of oil. I am just confused by this. I also got one painful flare up, and I never get the painful under the skin ones. It was always the painless bumps that would go away after a few days, or the ones with white heads that would pop and subside. I am also on minocycline since starting Spiro and that has helped with the acne (I started it right before the Spiro so that' show I know it is the mino working). I will let you know about my estrogen on Friday when I get my results - that wasn't included in the original bloodwork I did. However when I was pregnant they had a hard time getting my estrogen and progesterone high enough (we did IVF). I have diminished ovarian reserve. So I think this may also be a piece of the hormonal puzzle. Frustratingly, my endo says no one really knows how all of this effects the skin so it is all trial and error. Ugh. So glad to touch base with you!

Edited by michi31, 16 April 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#130 tmueller

tmueller

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:11 PM

I GOT A PERIOD TODAY!! Omgoodness. I am pretty darn chuffed right now. This is my FIRST period since being on Spiro, so thats like what..59 days in and my last period was the 2nd Feb which is 70 days ago, holyfuck.

You know what's weird though? This is the 12th of April and my period came back on the 12th April 2012..strange isn't it, or is it infact just another of life's little coincedenses smile.png

I actually have a date today, soon..and I'm freaking out. I am worried how he will react to my skin and things you know, obviously. I am actually petrified about it. But trying so hard not to think about it. I will let you know how it goes.

Hi ladies!!

So my spiro got upped to 150mgs last week, and I have to say I think it's making a world of difference!! I'm also at 13 weeks, so I'm assuming that's helping too, but other than a two minor cysts this week, things have really calmed down!! If you're questioning whether to stay on it or not, I would suggest upping your dose if you can.

I was thinking a lot about the whole drinking thing this week because I'm going out this weekend for my birthday and I just kind of want to let loose. I'm curious to see how my body responds next week... I'll let you know.

Also, I've been doing some research into mario badescu products, because I've heard lots of good things about their buffering lotion--it's meant specifically for cysts! The best part is, the company will send you free samples of any of their products if you call and do a skin consultation with them. I figure it's worth a shot since all the reviews have been positive. Have any of you used the mario badescu products before??

Hope everyone is doing well... keep me updated on your progress!

Xoxo,

Theresa

So glad you are feeling better Theresa! I don't know if my doctor would let me take 150mg, she is pretty cautious. I've still to tell her that Im taking 50mg lol.

Are you experiencing any other symptoms with such a high dose?

I've actually been feeling pretty good, and the only thing I really notice is the need to go pee a bit more. I'm definitely an advocate for upping the dosage if you feel like it's not working. How long have you been doing the 50mg?

Hey! Just wanted to post my experience with Spiro to encourage you. I have been on it for almost 9 months, and now it is an anomaly if I get even one pimple! Which if it does happen, is usually because of my period... I have struggled with cystic acne for 10 years, and this is the ONLY thing that helped. Now I'm only fighting the scarring and pigmentation left over.

I've posted some about my experience if you're interested. smile.png http://www.acne.org/...after-10-years/

The thing I've noticed about Spiro is that it's a roller coaster healing process for sure... but fortunately, the overall trend is up!

Hi! I'm so glad that spiro has worked so well for you!! What dosage are/were you on and how long did it take you to clear??

#131 skindeepstory

skindeepstory

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

Hello Spiro Friends!

Just checking in.  Hope everyone is doing well - maybe your skin is improving?! 

I also wanted to tell you how much I love these Salicylic Acid Peels.  I've gotten two now and they really have worked wonders for my skin.  You look pretty tragic for about a week after (peeling like crazy) but they've really helped knock out all my acne, fade my acne scars a bit and evened out my skin texture.  My face is actually soft again!  It's been a while since it felt like that...

Maybe it's something you might consider?  I got my first one done at the dermatologist's office and the second one by an esthetician.  Happy with both results.  If you're interested and in the Los Angeles area I'll put you in touch with my esthetician because she is AMAZING :)  Seriously, she's one of those estheticians that actually takes the time to extract every last blackhead - even the ones you didn't know about.

Anyway, wishing all of you a warm and sunny Monday :)

Sierra

#132 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

Hey! Just wanted to update on my hormone results. My testosterone is super low - below normal range. My estrogen is also super low - it is at menopausal levels. This makes sense as to why I haven't had my period since giving birth 9 months ago. My endo is really concerned about bone loss and wants me to start some sort of estrogen - either hormone replacement therarpy or the birth control pill. The pill seems to have broken me out in the past, but maybe now that I am on the Spiro it will not have this effect? I am hoping the Spiro will bind with any testosterone created in my skin as a result of the pill. It is so crazy to have facial hair and acne and super low testosterone - but as my endo says " we don't know what's happening in the skin". So I might have overactive enzymes in the skin converting T to  DHT - the more potent form of testosterone. Anyway, it gives me hope that you also have low testosterone and estrogen and Spiro is working for you. Do you know your exact numbers? I am curious if they are as low as mine. My T was a 5 and normal is 7-48 and my estrogen was an 11 - I think it should be at least 40 and gets to as high as 400 around ovulation (although I don't ovulate).

Im going to check out the links of the products you purchased and maybe ask questions if I fancy them, the High Frequency thingy sounds very intriguing. One thing though, if I do still have active acne would these prosucts maybe not work for me? Like, do you need to just have Hyperpigmentation marks and stuff?

Thanks Stacey!

Skinoren sounds really interesting! Looking forward to hearing how it works for you.

As for the two products I mentioned, I wouldn't use the PMD (Personal Microderm Device) until your acne has mostly cleared.  It's not good to use on active acne but it's great when it comes to scarring and evening skin tone and texture as well as preventing breakouts. 

However, you can definitely use the D'Arsonal Professional Grade High Frequency Device on active acne.  It's really gentle and effective, specifically on active breakouts.  So far I'm still in love with it!

Another device you might look into once your cystic acne is gone is the Clarisonic.  It's kind of similar to the PMD in that it exfoliates, reduces wrinkles, uneven skintone and helps prevent breakouts.  They have a Clarisonic that is specifically for acne and I've heard great things about it, but I've also read that it's best for mild to moderate acne, not severe or cystic.  I just got the Clarisonic Mia 2 with a "delicate" brush brand new on ebay for $67 (normally $149)!!  I'll let you know how it works.  I

Here's the link to Clarisonic reviews from acne.org: http://www.acne.org/.../421/page1.html

smile.png

Sierra

P.S. So sorry about being tagged on FB with a bad photo.  That's like my nightmare...I totally understand.  Hope you untagged yourself.  If you're really uncomfortable maybe you can request that the person take it down. 

P.P.S.  So interesting to hear about your history with anorexia.  I also have a history with binge eating and anorexia (not bulimia thank goodness - could never figure out the throwing up thing).  I really wonder if there is a connection with acne, PCOS and disordered eating because I've heard it come up from several people on acne.org.  I think it has to do with the perfectionist nature of who we are that perhaps has something to do with causing these "imperfections" like acne, weight gain, etc.  Also, my breasts have grown at least 1/2 a cup size too, but my bf seems to like it so I'm not so worried.  Just trying to focus on the fact that he still thinks I'm beautiful.  I did notice that I have to work harder to keep my weight down since starting spiro.  I was at 115, now more like 120, but I look totally different/curvier.

>Hi ladies. Thought I'd chime in as I"m also on Spiro (the brand name Aldactone) and just passed the 12 week point. You all seem really nice so hope you don't mind me tagging along:) To give a brief history - I have had acne ONLY around my chin since I was 19 (I'm 32). I also have facial hair. But the wierd thing is that my testosterone is very low. So the endocrinologist thinks it might be high testosterone circulating just in the skin so Spiro may still work. So I have to say that 12 weeks in I am not really seeing anything good. I am still oily and I feel like my sex drive is HIGHER, which could mean Spiro is stimulating the androgen receptors instead of blocking them (which can happen if you don't have enough testosterone for it to bind with). My endo says it takes 6-9 months for it to work so I'm going to hang on. I have a follow up appointment with him on Friday and I'll see where my hormones are. Does anyone else here have low tesosterone?

Hi Michi! 

So happy you chimed in.  I also have low testosterone but all of the symptoms of someone with high testosterone - specifically severe acne and mild hirsuitism among others.  One of my doctors diagnosed me with PCOS but my other doctor kind of "un-diagnosed" me based on my low testosterone and perfect cholesterol and glucose levels.  Very frustrating not understanding why I have these symptoms.  I also have low estrogen - do you?

I can tell you that spiro is totally working for me.  I'm almost at week 16 and only started seeing a real difference at week 13.  It just seems to be getting better and better now.  I'm also on a birth control called Zovia which I started at the same time. 

While it's working for me, it seems like our experience is very different.  My oiliness went away pretty much immediately when I started.  My sex drive was gone the first couple months but around the time that my skin started clearing it started slowly coming back.  I don't expect it to ever be where it was though.  That's just my experience having been on the spiro and BC protocol before.

Would love to get an update from you.  Really curious since I haven't met anyone else with low testosterone and all the PCOS symptoms. 

Wishing you lots of luck!!

Sierra

#133 kelseylee

kelseylee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

Hi Michi-

wow i'm really surprised you could have symptoms that you do and have really low T. hormones are mysterioushuh.png My estrogen and progesterone were very low too-and I also was not ovulating for about 7 months. back on ortho tri cyclen lo so things are normal. I am surprised your estrogen was so low if you are on spiro? isn't it suppose to raise estrogen for a lot of women...? and I thought if you had low T spiro could actually raise it. must b different for everyone. its funny that your endo said we don't know what's happening in the skin--seems to be pretty much true. I do know when I had high T and low estrogen/progesterone it was seriously no bueno for my skin so there's that. being back on birth control is strange in that this time I have been having very vivid dreams that I am pregnant ever since resuming it. I've had I think 4 but each time it is so intense and I actually psychologically believe I am currently pregnant until I wake up. very scary. It must be the flux in hormones, even though I never ever had this being on birth control before. I think it was bcuz my hormones shifted so drastically, going from high T, low E and P to ovulating again within just one month. It was rocky restarting the bc emotionally as well. 

How is everyone else doing? Stacy are things going okay? how is your skin...time is passing so hopefully better in regards to spiro smile.png my skin is okay. I got like 5 sizeable whiteheads around my period and there is still one stubborn one still in white head form. I am really happy about my decision to not touch my face whatsoever in terms of squeezing and extracting and blah blah blah. BUT, leaving whiteheads to resolve themselves is quite the dramatic saga. some are gone in a day and dry up well, others linger for DAYS. like the one on my forehead. its slowly drying up I think (ew) but it is stubborn, and it is kind of a painful one. I also had to go to the dentist with a sizeable whitehead above my mouth--this is how much I sort of don't care anymore. One good thing about getting older. In some ways acne has made me care more than ever about my appearance and it some ways its made me say F it. but yeah they had to clean my teeth and everything and when I left and looked in the mirror I was like ugh. and my forehead was greasy.

I have been blasting my face with african black soap and salicylic acid...the whiteheads came up when I wasn't washing my face very diligently sad.png. I also think stress/anxiety induced some of the zits. I can't really tell if the salicylic acid is even doing anything, it's only 2% and it def never did anything in the past until I started using it in conjunction with black soap. I know it increases cell turnover but I feel like maybe I need a slightly higher percentage. 

Edited by kelseylee, 23 April 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#134 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:43 AM

I know it is a mystery, but it must be something happening at the skin level and not in my blood. Most likely the 5 alpha reductase enzyme is converting T to DHT. Spiro is supposed to slowly suppress this enzyme over a long period of time. I have a theory that this is why it takes sooo long to work for some people. With lower DHT you can have higher T because less is being converted. I am afraid though because Spiro needs T to work, otherwise it actually stimulates the androgen receptor - not good! Yes it is interesting with hormones and dreams. In my first trimester I had tons of crazy dreams! (and lots of sex dreams)

Hi Michi-

wow i'm really surprised you could have symptoms that you do and have really low T. hormones are mysterioushuh.png My estrogen and progesterone were very low too-and I also was not ovulating for about 7 months. back on ortho tri cyclen lo so things are normal. I am surprised your estrogen was so low if you are on spiro? isn't it suppose to raise estrogen for a lot of women...? and I thought if you had low T spiro could actually raise it. must b different for everyone. its funny that your endo said we don't know what's happening in the skin--seems to be pretty much true. I do know when I had high T and low estrogen/progesterone it was seriously no bueno for my skin so there's that. being back on birth control is strange in that this time I have been having very vivid dreams that I am pregnant ever since resuming it. I've had I think 4 but each time it is so intense and I actually psychologically believe I am currently pregnant until I wake up. very scary. It must be the flux in hormones, even though I never ever had this being on birth control before. I think it was bcuz my hormones shifted so drastically, going from high T, low E and P to ovulating again within just one month. It was rocky restarting the bc emotionally as well. 

How is everyone else doing? Stacy are things going okay? how is your skin...time is passing so hopefully better in regards to spiro smile.png my skin is okay. I got like 5 sizeable whiteheads around my period and there is still one stubborn one still in white head form. I am really happy about my decision to not touch my face whatsoever in terms of squeezing and extracting and blah blah blah. BUT, leaving whiteheads to resolve themselves is quite the dramatic saga. some are gone in a day and dry up well, others linger for DAYS. like the one on my forehead. its slowly drying up I think (ew) but it is stubborn, and it is kind of a painful one. I also had to go to the dentist with a sizeable whitehead above my mouth--this is how much I sort of don't care anymore. One good thing about getting older. In some ways acne has made me care more than ever about my appearance and it some ways its made me say F it. but yeah they had to clean my teeth and everything and when I left and looked in the mirror I was like ugh. and my forehead was greasy.

I have been blasting my face with african black soap and salicylic acid...the whiteheads came up when I wasn't washing my face very diligently sad.png. I also think stress/anxiety induced some of the zits. I can't really tell if the salicylic acid is even doing anything, it's only 2% and it def never did anything in the past until I started using it in conjunction with black soap. I know it increases cell turnover but I feel like maybe I need a slightly higher percentage. 

#135 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

Hello Spiro Friends!

Just checking in.  Hope everyone is doing well - maybe your skin is improving?! 

I also wanted to tell you how much I love these Salicylic Acid Peels.  I've gotten two now and they really have worked wonders for my skin.  You look pretty tragic for about a week after (peeling like crazy) but they've really helped knock out all my acne, fade my acne scars a bit and evened out my skin texture.  My face is actually soft again!  It's been a while since it felt like that...Th

Hi Michi-

Hey lovlies! So sorry I haven't updated in a while, I have still been on the forums reading about but wanted to wait a week to reply because I do believe that TIME is a healer and posting nearly everyday won't be as accurate.

Thankyou all for STILL posting and keeping this log going!! :D

Sierra  - you don't know how utterly glad I actually am to hear that things are going so well for you. I think I would just be a bit scared to try the Salycilic Acid Peels (SAP - new abreviation? haha) How bad exactly is the drying and flaking of the skin? Did you moisturise afterwards?

Its sad that I don't live anywhere near LA, otherwise I would have totally went to the same one :) Im still trying my best to find a GOOD Naturopath up in Scotland.

Kelseylee - I find it so so strange that as you were having low E,P and T that you were not ovulating and when I was having slightly high T and normal of the other two I, too, was not ovulating. It is quite weird how hormones work differently for other people. From what I have read anyway Spiro is supposed to eventually raise estrogen, but I think this occurs due to the fact that as you lower testosterone even further the more dominant hormone will be estrogen, but then what if you naturally have low E and high P? I would presume that the Spiro must then affect our P levels. Its all quite confusing actually lol. However, having higher E tends to make women more susceptible to weight GAIN especially around the middle region. So maybe women who experience weight GAIN are having higher estrogen and the women who actually LOSE weight have low estrogen still but higher amounts of progesterone??

How long have you been using the SA for? I have this cream called Paula's choice BHA 2% is this the same thing? I remember when I used it though it made me break out alot, I just wasn't very patient about using it so stopped immediately. How is your skin looking?

Good for you about not caring what the dentist would think! Thats a shame though that the whiteheads appeared when you were being slack with washing, I actually notice that when I leave my skin for a day or 2 of NOT washing...it looks better!

I know it is a mystery, but it must be something happening at the skin level and not in my blood. Most likely the 5 alpha reductase enzyme is converting T to DHT. Spiro is supposed to slowly suppress this enzyme over a long period of time. I have a theory that this is why it takes sooo long to work for some people. With lower DHT you can have higher T because less is being converted. I am afraid though because Spiro needs T to work, otherwise it actually stimulates the androgen receptor - not good! Yes it is interesting with hormones and dreams. In my first trimester I had tons of crazy dreams! (and lots of sex dreams)

Hi Michi :) What dosage of Spiro are you on again?

I have actually heard that without T is can stimulate the androgen receptor...but what exactly does it do then? Because surely people with low T must be experiencing this then?

#136 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

DAY 71 - week 10 - 50 mg

Alrighty guys this is WELL overdue.

As they say though, no news is good news, right? :D

Well, anyway I guess that is partly true for me. Everything in my Signature is EXACTLY what I am doing right now. However I have recently been taking the 50mg of Zinc every second day just because I feel it is alot that Ive been taking.

My skin is actually looking okay. Its far from perfect but it isn't a disaster :) I don't have any huge cysts or papules and the spots I do have are small whiteheads situated aroung the corner of my mouth and forhead - I still have alot of bumps and SMALLER papules on my forhead. However I've not had any pustules in a long time.

When washing my face I only use COLD water, and I think it does help to not dry out the skin. Ive also been doing well at not having any dairy, I am liking drinking my tea black now! I notice that on the off chance I do have anything milky, eg a Latte or Cappachino or Mocha (heaven in a cup)my stomach gurgles...so it makes me think theres some kind of dairy intolerance thing going on.

Now for the bad news - My weight is upsetting me, immensley guys. I hate my body, and its sad saying this. I mean I know Im not fat by any means, but being a bit more curvier and having a bit more "junk in the trunk" and slightly bloated breasts...I can't handle it. And to be honestit is seriously driving me to quit Spiro...although I do not want to, I really want to give it a chance. I am trying my best to eat healthy, and I think I need to try harder which I will...so after a couple weeks 'dieting' I will see how I feel. I have not weighed myself but I think Ive gained a few. I am just wanting to know though if this is because of the E or is it something else?

I also do keep toying with the idea of going on BC. And it would probably be Dianette probably. But I don't know how my body will react?? So I am so so so confused with this..it sucks I wish I just had a wee tool in my house that I could breath into and it could tell me what my hormone levels are!!!

Also recently Ive been noticing pain in my heart area like sharp pains when breathing in. This mostly occurs during exercise. I have actually noticed less of her falling out and I haven't been extremely thirsty like I did at the beginning.

So mixed reviews right now but there's a good wee update for you's :)

I hope to hear more good news for everyone and hope everyone else is doing good too, if your not here is a  big *hug* from me and just remember to think positive and know that you are loved.

x

#137 skindeepstory

skindeepstory

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

Hey! Just wanted to update on my hormone results. My testosterone is super low - below normal range. My estrogen is also super low - it is at menopausal levels. This makes sense as to why I haven't had my period since giving birth 9 months ago. My endo is really concerned about bone loss and wants me to start some sort of estrogen - either hormone replacement therarpy or the birth control pill. The pill seems to have broken me out in the past, but maybe now that I am on the Spiro it will not have this effect? I am hoping the Spiro will bind with any testosterone created in my skin as a result of the pill. It is so crazy to have facial hair and acne and super low testosterone - but as my endo says " we don't know what's happening in the skin". So I might have overactive enzymes in the skin converting T to  DHT - the more potent form of testosterone. Anyway, it gives me hope that you also have low testosterone and estrogen and Spiro is working for you. Do you know your exact numbers? I am curious if they are as low as mine. My T was a 5 and normal is 7-48 and my estrogen was an 11 - I think it should be at least 40 and gets to as high as 400 around ovulation (although I don't ovulate).

Hi Michi!

Here are some of my numbers:

Estradiol: 21 - That is in the menopausal range and I'm 29 years old :(

Testosterone Total: 8 - Actually that is on the low range of normal which is 8-48 according to my lab

Prolactin: 4.3 - It's low, normal is 4.6 - 37.0

Not sure if you're interested in any more numbers but I have plenty :) 

#138 skindeepstory

skindeepstory

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

Sierra  - you don't know how utterly glad I actually am to hear that things are going so well for you. I think I would just be a bit scared to try the Salycilic Acid Peels (SAP - new abreviation? haha) How bad exactly is the drying and flaking of the skin? Did you moisturise afterwards?

Its sad that I don't live anywhere near LA, otherwise I would have totally went to the same one smile.png Im still trying my best to find a GOOD Naturopath up in Scotland.

Hi Stacey!  Thanks for the encouragement as always. 

You should definitely go with your instincts about the Salicylic Peel.  If you aren't comfortable, don't do it.  Here was my experience: I looked fine the day of the peel and the next day but I felt my skin was super tight.  Then for two days after that I was shedding like a snake.  Super dry.  But if you time it right (get your peel done on a Thursday) then most of the bad peeling happens on the weekend when you hopefully aren't working.  Then it was another two or so days of dry skin, but I could still go out in public.  I was able to moisturize the whole time and I could have even done a better job moisturizing to minimize the peeling.  Still very happy with the results.

I am really happy to hear your skin is starting to clear up and your hair isn't falling out anymore.  That's great news!  It sounds like the higher dose of spiro is starting to make a difference.  That might be why you have the extreme thirst.  BUT, please give your doctor a call about the chest pains!!  That's not something you should mess around with.  Maybe you can do a search about spironolactone and chest pains.  Have you had your potassium levels checked recently? 

As for your curvier look, I know this a really sensitive subject for you.  I noticed the same changes in my body and I believe they are from spiro too.  I've been able to work off some of the weight by ramping up my exercise routine, but I do still have a curvier shape.  Before you ditch the spiro altogether, maybe just ask yourself if you would regret not seeing it all the way through, at least 6 months.  And if you do decide to go off of it, just be sure to ween off very slowly!  That was my biggest mistake last time I quit spiro cold turkey.  Worst. Idea. Ever. 

In any case, we support you no matter what you choose to do! 

By the way, I have heard really good things about Dianette.  Wish we could get that in the States... it does still have a low dose of spiro so I wonder if that would have the same curvier affect to your body?  I think it's only 25mg of spiro, so maybe it wouldn't.  Not sure.

Here's my update!

Today is Week 16 on Spiro!  Here are my updated photos:

Spiro Week 16 Forehead
Spiro Week 16 Right Cheek
Spiro Week 16 Left Cheek

xo
Sierra

#139 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

Wow we really are hormone twins! You don't have excess facial hair do you? Were those levels taken before you were on the pill or after, and before you were on spiro or after? Also how much estrogen is in the birth control you take? Now I'm thinking I should do the same thing as you and add a b.c. pill. I am only on 100mg of Spiro and I wonder if I need more, since you are on 200. Did you ever take just 100mg? I think it is interesting you are on Metformin. My Endo said I don't need it because my insulin is totally normal. But I thought I remembered something about it being helpful even if you aren't insulin resistant. What did your doc say about this? Sorry for the 20 questions - I'm just so excited to have found someone like me. I was diagnosed and then un-diagnosed with PCOS - they feel I don't have it because of my low tesosterone and insulin and because I'm thin and don't have cystic ovaries. But PCOS is really just a grouping of symptoms - of which I have acne, facial hair, anovulatory cycles and infertility (we conceived with IVF).

Hi Michi!

Estradiol: 21 - That is in the menopausal range and I'm 29 years old sad.png

Testosterone Total: 8 - Actually that is on the low range of normal which is 8-48 according to my lab

Not sure if you're interested in any more numbers but I have plenty smile.png

Edited by michi31, 24 April 2013 - 01:55 PM.

#140 skindeepstory

skindeepstory

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:19 PM

Wow we really are hormone twins! You don't have excess facial hair do you? Were those levels taken before you were on the pill or after, and before you were on spiro or after? Also how much estrogen is in the birth control you take? Now I'm thinking I should do the same thing as you and add a b.c. pill. I am only on 100mg of Spiro and I wonder if I need more, since you are on 200. Did you ever take just 100mg? I think it is interesting you are on Metformin. My Endo said I don't need it because my insulin is totally normal. But I thought I remembered something about it being helpful even if you aren't insulin resistant. What did your doc say about this? Sorry for the 20 questions - I'm just so excited to have found someone like me. I was diagnosed and then un-diagnosed with PCOS - they feel I don't have it because of my low tesosterone and insulin and because I'm thin and don't have cystic ovaries. But PCOS is really just a grouping of symptoms - of which I have acne, facial hair, anovulatory cycles and infertility (we conceived with IVF).

Hi Michi!

Estradiol: 21 - That is in the menopausal range and I'm 29 years old sad.png

Not sure if you're interested in any more numbers but I have plenty smile.png

Yay hormone twins!  LOL... Those #s were taken right before I started spiro and BC.

I actually went off of Metformin based on my doctor's advice.  I kind of miss it because when I was on it my out of control carb cravings finally disappeared.  But, he said my insulin and glucose levels were fine so I didn't need it.  And it seems like my skin is getting much better without it so I guess he's right on that level.  I did read it can help acne even for thin "Cysters" without insulin problems like us.

I have been mostly clear at 100mg of spironolactone before, but I started off at 150mg and then slowly backed down to 100.  But, I wasn't as clear as when I was on 150mg.  At 150 I literally didn't have one single zit ever.  It was amazing.  This time around I decided to go for the big guns at 200mg, but I do plan on weening myself down to at least 150mg in a few months or when I stop having any breakouts. 

My birth control is Zovia 1/35E.  It contains 2 hormones: a progestin and an estrogen.  Each pill ontains 1 mg of ethynodiol diacetate and 35 mcg of ethinyl estradiol.  I just copied that from a website so not sure exactly what that means, but I think it's the lower dose of estrogen.  There is also one that has 50 mcg of ethinyl estradiol.  I'm not a doctor, but if your estrogen is low and you are anovulatory it seems like you could really benefit from birth control.  I'm also anovulatory and don't have my period at all unless I'm on the pill.

Oh, and I did start getting thicker facial hair right before I started Spiro.  Luckily it was blonde, but noticeably...erm...furry :/  I'm sure it would have continued getting worse if I didn't intervene.  But that's pretty much all resolved now.  It's still a little noticeable, but only to me. 

Keep me updated!  I'm kind of surprised your doctor didn't suggest birth control.  Honestly, I think we have to be proactive with our doctors because they aren't always thorough.  Glad you're doing your research.  If I didn't suggest spiro to my doctor a long time ago I would have never found my acne cure.

Anyway, enough ranting.  I really need to start making shorter posts!

xo

Sierra

Edited by skindeepstory, 24 April 2013 - 04:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users