Photo

Stacey's Spiro Log.

spiro spironolactone clogged pores estrogen progesterone testosterone breakout spots red marks tea tree oil

226 replies to this topic

#61 kelseylee

kelseylee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

acne.jpg

#62 skindeepstory

skindeepstory

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me
  • Interests:Nutrition, Holistic Health, Yoga, Running, Hiking, Cooking, Movies, Music, Aesthetics, Skincare and Cosmetology

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:21 AM

Hi Stacy, I just wanted to write and say I hope its going well. The bcp's have helped things generally I think, a lot of the weird side effects I felt related to pcos have subsided. I did have a really rough time emotionally the first three days, cuz of the effects of the new hormones i'm imagining, but that improved. I felt/feel pretty moody and emotionally up and down but pcos made me moody too so maybe thats just my state hah. 

glad to hear you were able to feel better after having your periods return from amenorrhea. wow that took me a long time to google that and make sure i got the right word. i feel your pain on the restricted eating, in high school i was exercising constantly and restricting what I was eating a lot. definitely stopped having my period for awhile. I was underweight for my height and remember being really hungry a lot. like starving feeling. the shitty part is, I was kind of proud of myself in my 20s when i started eating normal......and then i guess i took it slightly too far and ended up with shitty health problems. its like theres a tiny margin for being healthy; you're either dieting too much and its terribly unhealthy or you're being too glutenous and its wreaking havoc on your system.

I really hope the spiro starts working for you, from the changes i've already seen from bcp's, and the anti-androgene supplements, I really think it will work for you. weight fluctuations, from personal experience, strongly affect hormones, which are then stubborn and lag behind other changes in the body. But once they start to shift I think you will see things get better fast. It seems there's no harm in continuing and if you give up that will prob just confuse your body more right? its hard i know just trying to say words of encouragement, the last like four days have been a mix of a lot better, and really shitty so this post is kind of cathartic. 

Before I start talking about emotional stuff I’ll finish up talking about acne. So despite the roller coaster, the thing that is improving right now is actually my acne. I know I’ve said this like three times before but seriously: African black soap is saving my life right now. My skin gets a little better every single day. Every day, 3-5 previous clogged pores, which had been there for months and just wanted to make a real zit, completely dry up and dislodge themselves from the pore. That sounds kind of intense, but it happens very, very softly and literally ever clogged pore that has surfaced and then just fallen to the wayside, has left zero mark. The pore is not even enlarged. It’s actually amazing. I was squeezing the shit out of my pores before, or an estatician was. And now that they’re closed its like they’re closed permanently; everytime I would extract, within five days the same pores would fill right back up and potentially turn into white heads/acne.

I’m going to really get serious about black soap here because it is the ONLY, the ONLY thing I have ever put on my face that has affected my acne at all. That is saying a lot right? Oh and it cost me $3.49. I spent at least $200 in the last year on aveda. Let that sink in. I washed my face with aveda the other day out of curiosity and it left my skin feeling almost dirty compared to the black soap.

I know you guys are super cautious about what you put on your skin which I understand more than anything, but this is pretty much as natural as it gets. And when pores are clogged, I just didn’t know what else to do to heal them besides wait like years. I’ve had some of them for a long time. If you use it once a day, it mostly has just a tingly feeling. If you use it two or three times and leave it on longer than 20 seconds, it has a tiny burn to it. Pretty much like salycilic acid if you’re using that often, which never unclogged my pores btw even tho I still use it cuz I spent like $80 on fancy aveda pads. But yah I totally understand if ppl aren’t ready to jump on ship with something new, but if you do find yourself saying, I’m ready to unclog these bitches and see some movement, it is the stuff you need. It is not as effective on cysts/badly inflamed pimples although it does help big white heads calm down, and it makes smaller whiteheads go away FAST. I still usually extract bad whiteheads (gently..) if they’re aggressive enough and not going away on their own. but all whiteheads started as a clogged pore so my science mind is saying its preventing new ones. Here’s some graphic proof: on a lot of my previously clogged pores there is a little clear/yellowish “seed” hanging off the skin. That is really gross. But its like it literally turned it inside out, from being clogged on the inside to being falling off on the outside. Okay I’ll stop now…

Oh yeah I made a big mistake of taking melatonin last night and it made me feel depressed as hell this morning; I woke up really early and tossed and turned and basically freaked out and just thought about all the negative aspects of my life and all the mistakes I’ve made over and over and over. Should probably likewise write them down and burn it. Never taking melatonin again.

After melatonin funtimes, I saw the holistic counselor this afternoon and made sort of an idiot of myself. She took my full history and I got overwhelmed by trying to explain…my whole life…to a stranger…and talked too much but really vaguely and jumped from topic to topic and even confused myself. I used to be so much better at articulating myself, especially verbally. I feel like I just verbally vomited on her and left her to clean it up. And the most intense part, which I guess Ill admit is that when I left, I looked at her notepad and I am 99% I saw that she wrote “hard for her for me to see her struggle” or something along those alones. You might have to read that a few times but I think u will get the idea. And it is very true. So at least I know she is smart haha.

Hi Stacy, I just wanted to write and say I hope its going well. The bcp's have helped things generally I think, a lot of the weird side effects I felt related to pcos have subsided. I did have a really rough time emotionally the first three days, cuz of the effects of the new hormones i'm imagining, but that improved. I felt/feel pretty moody and emotionally up and down but pcos made me moody too so maybe thats just my state hah. 

glad to hear you were able to feel better after having your periods return from amenorrhea. wow that took me a long time to google that and make sure i got the right word. i feel your pain on the restricted eating, in high school i was exercising constantly and restricting what I was eating a lot. definitely stopped having my period for awhile. I was underweight for my height and remember being really hungry a lot. like starving feeling. the shitty part is, I was kind of proud of myself in my 20s when i started eating normal......and then i guess i took it slightly too far and ended up with shitty health problems. its like theres a tiny margin for being healthy; you're either dieting too much and its terribly unhealthy or you're being too glutenous and its wreaking havoc on your system.

I really hope the spiro starts working for you, from the changes i've already seen from bcp's, and the anti-androgene supplements, I really think it will work for you. weight fluctuations, from personal experience, strongly affect hormones, which are then stubborn and lag behind other changes in the body. But once they start to shift I think you will see things get better fast. It seems there's no harm in continuing and if you give up that will prob just confuse your body more right? its hard i know just trying to say words of encouragement, the last like four days have been a mix of a lot better, and really shitty so this post is kind of cathartic. 

Before I start talking about emotional stuff I’ll finish up talking about acne. So despite the roller coaster, the thing that is improving right now is actually my acne. I know I’ve said this like three times before but seriously: African black soap is saving my life right now. My skin gets a little better every single day. Every day, 3-5 previous clogged pores, which had been there for months and just wanted to make a real zit, completely dry up and dislodge themselves from the pore. That sounds kind of intense, but it happens very, very softly and literally ever clogged pore that has surfaced and then just fallen to the wayside, has left zero mark. The pore is not even enlarged. It’s actually amazing. I was squeezing the shit out of my pores before, or an estatician was. And now that they’re closed its like they’re closed permanently; everytime I would extract, within five days the same pores would fill right back up and potentially turn into white heads/acne.

I’m going to really get serious about black soap here because it is the ONLY, the ONLY thing I have ever put on my face that has affected my acne at all. That is saying a lot right? Oh and it cost me $3.49. I spent at least $200 in the last year on aveda. Let that sink in. I washed my face with aveda the other day out of curiosity and it left my skin feeling almost dirty compared to the black soap.

I know you guys are super cautious about what you put on your skin which I understand more than anything, but this is pretty much as natural as it gets. And when pores are clogged, I just didn’t know what else to do to heal them besides wait like years. I’ve had some of them for a long time. If you use it once a day, it mostly has just a tingly feeling. If you use it two or three times and leave it on longer than 20 seconds, it has a tiny burn to it. Pretty much like salycilic acid if you’re using that often, which never unclogged my pores btw even tho I still use it cuz I spent like $80 on fancy aveda pads. But yah I totally understand if ppl aren’t ready to jump on ship with something new, but if you do find yourself saying, I’m ready to unclog these bitches and see some movement, it is the stuff you need. It is not as effective on cysts/badly inflamed pimples although it does help big white heads calm down, and it makes smaller whiteheads go away FAST. I still usually extract bad whiteheads (gently..) if they’re aggressive enough and not going away on their own. but all whiteheads started as a clogged pore so my science mind is saying its preventing new ones. Here’s some graphic proof: on a lot of my previously clogged pores there is a little clear/yellowish “seed” hanging off the skin. That is really gross. But its like it literally turned it inside out, from being clogged on the inside to being falling off on the outside. Okay I’ll stop now…

Oh yeah I made a big mistake of taking melatonin last night and it made me feel depressed as hell this morning; I woke up really early and tossed and turned and basically freaked out and just thought about all the negative aspects of my life and all the mistakes I’ve made over and over and over. Should probably likewise write them down and burn it. Never taking melatonin again.

After melatonin funtimes, I saw the holistic counselor this afternoon and made sort of an idiot of myself. She took my full history and I got overwhelmed by trying to explain…my whole life…to a stranger…and talked too much but really vaguely and jumped from topic to topic and even confused myself. I used to be so much better at articulating myself, especially verbally. I feel like I just verbally vomited on her and left her to clean it up. And the most intense part, which I guess Ill admit is that when I left, I looked at her notepad and I am 99% I saw that she wrote “hard for her for me to see her struggle” or something along those alones. You might have to read that a few times but I think u will get the idea. And it is very true. So at least I know she is smart haha.

Hi Kelsey.

Enjoyed reading your post.  Question, what brand of the black soap are you using and where do you buy it?

Sierra

#63 kelseylee

kelseylee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

Hi, I got it at the natural co op in washington where I live. if you have a comprehensive co op with a big beauty/supplement section, they should have it. mine had about 6-8 different kinds, including black soap shampoo? I got the Ylang Ylang "flavor". I have also seen it rampantly online, and I think that's where you can get the really good stuff. I've heard in a bar is a good form, also heard ppl say "not all black soap is created equal". a few whole sections of clogged pores/bumps on my forehead have dried up and flattened out this morning..seriously crazy. if i exfoliated right now a lot of stuff would come off. and a small cyst on my back is almost gone. were you guys able to check out that link of of the photo log a girl posted about black soap? anyway.....wanted to mention I really enjoyed reading ur post and a little of ur blog sierra...thank u!

#64 skindeepstory

skindeepstory

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Nutrition, Holistic Health, Yoga, Running, Hiking, Cooking, Movies, Music, Aesthetics, Skincare and Cosmetology

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

Hi, I got it at the natural co op in washington where I live. if you have a comprehensive co op with a big beauty/supplement section, they should have it. mine had about 6-8 different kinds, including black soap shampoo? I got the Ylang Ylang "flavor". I have also seen it rampantly online, and I think that's where you can get the really good stuff. I've heard in a bar is a good form, also heard ppl say "not all black soap is created equal". a few whole sections of clogged pores/bumps on my forehead have dried up and flattened out this morning..seriously crazy. if i exfoliated right now a lot of stuff would come off. and a small cyst on my back is almost gone. were you guys able to check out that link of of the photo log a girl posted about black soap? anyway.....wanted to mention I really enjoyed reading ur post and a little of ur blog sierra...thank u!

Thanks!  I do know of a co-op. I'll check it out next time I'm in the area.

And so glad to hear about the improvements in your skin!!  Woohoooo!

#65 skindeepstory

skindeepstory

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

Hello Spiro Friends,

Wanted to share a little week 10 update.  I have good news...

My skin has definitely been improving a lot this past week!  I was almost nervous to write that - maybe I would jinx it or something. But, it's undeniable.  I'm getting less amounts of new acne.  Most of the new acne I am getting is from bumps or clogged pores that are several weeks old and never came to fruition.  When they do make an appearance they seem smaller and quicker to disappear.  I'm certainly not flawless, but it's nice that the areas where I have a lot of scarring have kind of had a break so they are starting to fade. 

And, the big exciting thing is that yesterday I put on a ton of makeup (that's the only way to cover up the blemishes and hyperpigmentation) and I was out all day - well over 12 hours.  I was so nervous about washing my makeup off and to my surprise...nothing!  No new bumps.  I thought for sure this morning I would see something, but no.  That, to me, is a miracle. 

As a note, I have been exercising almost every day, being really careful about my diet, and 5 days ago I added the pill Metformin.  I was on 500mg the first 4 days, and then bumped to 1000mg.  No side effects at all. I don't know if it's what made the difference in my skin or just the passage of time on spiro.

Aside from the few active pimples and the scarring, the other thing I am still dealing with is bigtime dryness and redness!  I think it's a combo of the spiro plus my topicals (HQRA and Acanya).  I know if my skin were super hydrated my acne would look a lot better, so, begrungingly, I'm going to be skipping my topicals a few nights a week and just hydrating like crazy. 

If anyone has any tips for a good heavy duty (but non pore-clogging) night time moisturizer or mask, that would be amazing! 

Oh!!  And I wanted to share a link to a girl's youtube vlog about her journey with spironolactone.  She documents a year on it and it really made me feel secure about my progress.  There are going to be ups and downs on this medicine, but in the longrun, we are making progress!!

Here's the link to her first video.  I watched all of her videos last night.  Felt like a youtube stalker, but God bless her for sharing her story!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=tZh3XU8gGkA

Have a lovely day everyone!

Sierra

skindeepstory.wordpress.com

#66 kelseylee

kelseylee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

Hey that is so exciting!!!! It really sounds like the spiro is kicking in full force. 2 1/2 months sounds intuitively right for hormones having a substantial opportunity to shift. And some people haven't seen significant improvement until 4 or 6 months so yay for you!! That's so cool you went out and about and didn't have to find troubled skin afterwards. Yesterday I walked around downtown and it was the first day I didn't feel like I had pretty bad acne. I didn't feel the need to hide my face as much or worry about the clogged pores just growing bigger and more numerous.

Wow I'm really intrigued to hear you're on metformin. Good for you for being open to trying new things. I actually thought metformin was going to be something I might take but they did not bring it. Did your doc suggest it? I've heard it works super, super well for people. I went on antidepressants about five days ago and they have helped me tremendously.  

The best moisturizer I have found that doesn't clog my pores is shea butter in its most rudimentary form with no additives etc. It is literally the best moisturizer I've ever used (it works better for eczema than hydrocortisone cream which is like a steroid) but it is quite thick and I guess you'd have to be careful that you knew it wasn't clogging your pores.   

xx

Edited by kelseylee, 15 March 2013 - 03:37 PM.

#67 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 155
About Me
  • Interests:Fitness, good food, reading blogs, spiritualism, learning, self-medicating.

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

hey missac17 i really feel for you. i was breaking out really bad before i started spiro with cysts and nodules and then when i went on spiro i kept breaking out really bad for a while. i am almost 13 weeks in and it will get better i can promise you. the first few months i was getting my period like every 2 weeks which caused me more acne than i would have normally had (i get the worst acne before my period) and it seemed like every pore around my chin and jawline was broke out and very inflamed. i went to a wellness doctor who had me take a blood test to find out that i am allergic to eggs, dairy, wheat, gluten, barley, rye, beet etc. i stopped eating all that stuff for 2 months and my face only got worse so now i eat those things in moderation. i dont even know how reliable those tests were since the doc said that most people clear up completely when they stop eating all the stuff they are allergic to.i really do think for me its just a hormonal thing. if i was allergic to dairy i dont think i would have been able to eat it like all summer and be clear ya know? anyway after 8 weeks of being on spiro i asked my pa for another antibiotic called keflex. within 3 days i had no more cysts and my face is clearing up really well. it totally get rid of the redness too so you could try asking for that.

i was on 100mg of spiro and my pa is going to up it to 150mg and keep me on the keflex for at least another 3 weeks or so then slowly wean me off in the hopes that the spiro would have  kicked in by then. i only get 1 period a month now so i think things are starting to get back to normal for me but if the acne comes back i am getting right on accutane and my pa says if i take it and stay on spiro i shouldnt have a relapse after i get off of it. just try to stay strong and workout if you can because it will help you mentally. i went through a bad couple of weeks where i literally wanted to die i never felt so low in my life and i have been through a lot of shit but you know what, it will get better. it can only go up from here. if you ever need to talk pm me. i am here for you!

one more thing my endo said spiro can take up to 6 months to work so keep your chin up. how long have you been on it now?

Hi Tracy, thank's for writing :) I really appreciate hearing about your experience. So it has took 13 weeks you say for you to start seeing good reults then? Did you ever get like tiny small spots? This is what Im dealing with right now, its actually totally knocking me back for six, I feel so disgusted by myself and I do keep wondering I should just suck it up and be patient you know. Its really hard. Its hard to block my ego self from thinking "the world and people around me are staring at me and think Im a monster" kind of thing.

I know exactly what you mean that if you can eat dairy and not break out, then why would it affect me now? I think though sometimes in our womanly cycle we are much more sensitive to certain chemicals and hormones, especially in milk. I'm not sure though. Did you just take Spiro or did you take BCP too?

Thankyou! If I need extra support I'll be sure to pm you, and you too btw. When your breakout was at its worst, how long would you say it lasted?

#68 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Fitness, good food, reading blogs, spiritualism, learning, self-medicating.

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

I know what you mean about that "tiny margin" of healthy/unhealthy. Yea, I did have ALOT of problems with eating when I was younger, I was anorexic for about a good couple years and then whilst recovering I turned bulimic and then Binge eating Disorder kinda came into that aswell. Bingeing is something which occurs occasionally still. Not all the time though, maybe once or twice a month, it is a horrible thing AND horrible addiction.

I wish I hadn't upset my body though the way I did, but hey everything happens for a reason right. So what is the state of your skin currently? Do you find the melatonin actually does help your sleep at all?

Thankyou for the graphic detail of the way Black Soap helps your skin :) so it is really good for clogged pores then? I have read that is is very drying, and I don't actually use a moisturiser. I do have a balck soap but I don't know if it is a good one or not, are there any specific brands which are better than the other?

Hope your having a good weekend Kelseylee :)

Hello Spiro Friends,

Wanted to share a little week 10 update.  I have good news...

My skin has definitely been improving a lot this past week!  I was almost nervous to write that - maybe I would jinx it or something. But, it's undeniable.  I'm getting less amounts of new acne.  Most of the new acne I am getting is from bumps or clogged pores that are several weeks old and never came to fruition.  When they do make an appearance they seem smaller and quicker to disappear.  I'm certainly not flawless, but it's nice that the areas where I have a lot of scarring have kind of had a break so they are starting to fade. 

And, the big exciting thing is that yesterday I put on a ton of makeup (that's the only way to cover up the blemishes and hyperpigmentation) and I was out all day - well over 12 hours.  I was so nervous about washing my makeup off and to my surprise...nothing!  No new bumps.  I thought for sure this morning I would see something, but no.  That, to me, is a miracle. 

As a note, I have been exercising almost every day, being really careful about my diet, and 5 days ago I added the pill Metformin.  I was on 500mg the first 4 days, and then bumped to 1000mg.  No side effects at all. I don't know if it's what made the difference in my skin or just the passage of time on spiro.

Aside from the few active pimples and the scarring, the other thing I am still dealing with is bigtime dryness and redness!  I think it's a combo of the spiro plus my topicals (HQRA and Acanya).  I know if my skin were super hydrated my acne would look a lot better, so, begrungingly, I'm going to be skipping my topicals a few nights a week and just hydrating like crazy. 

If anyone has any tips for a good heavy duty (but non pore-clogging) night time moisturizer or mask, that would be amazing! 

Oh!!  And I wanted to share a link to a girl's youtube vlog about her journey with spironolactone.  She documents a year on it and it really made me feel secure about my progress.  There are going to be ups and downs on this medicine, but in the longrun, we are making progress!!

Here's the link to her first video.  I watched all of her videos last night.  Felt like a youtube stalker, but God bless her for sharing her story!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=tZh3XU8gGkA

Have a lovely day everyone!

Sierra

Sierra this is AMAZING! Im so happy you feel good about your skin right now :) seriously you deserve this so much. What exactly is Metaformin?

Sometimes I find when not using topicals and even not washing me face for a couple days the redness goes down significantly :)

Awesome I love youtube, its amazing the amount of vlogs and tutorials you can get on that! "Youtube stalker" Haha I am the EXACT same. Love it.

#69 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

Day 31 (week4) - feel terrible.

Hallooo people. Just a wee quick update today. I have had a reeeally busy week with college, honestly. Had alot of experiments (like making salt from a metal and acid - fun stuff like that), also went to the university of Edinburgh for a lecture on Stem Cell Research. It was pretty interesting I must admit.

Ive had ALOT OF BAD bad skin says this full week really, my skin is such a contrast from last week, it is just really inflamed and I ahve spots, new and some old just scattered all over my fucknig face. I swear it is making me feel really low. And I am trying keep my head up. That is my period now 2 weeks late, I dunno if maybe the whole breakout is because of this or what? I just want to know what to do you know. I keep dwindling and wodnering whether to maybe up the Spiro to 50mg? Or should I wait a little longer, or should I even stop it? I have made a conscious decision also that I should go on a BCP if I do decide to stop it, like Dianette again or maybe even try and get Yazmin.

I have also noticed my hair is thinning a little, definately. Not too much but I can tell. I have been having a really really dry throat lately, and wake up alot through the night for a drink of water. Recently, just this week I have been getting alot of Mucus coming out of my nose and mouth EVERY morning, I think I have a small cold/flu thing though, but the mucus is all green and some splurts of blood have been in it too. I have the doctor on Wednesday so hopeully she can tell me what it is.

I am also considering getting the Azelaic Acid again which I ahd in August and stoppped in the end of October. I just feel maybe I do need a topical because these spots are reeeeally bad. I hate my appearance right now and just can't look in mirrors.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xBcMKwbMEcQ

I love this song smile.png

Ps!! I want to know, why do people (some) who take Spiro ALSO take a hormonal birth control? Does this make it more effective or something? And because I don't take a BCP will the Spiro therefore effect me differently? Or am I being dumb lol

Edited by misssac17, 16 March 2013 - 10:47 AM.

#70 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, trying new things, finding my inner strength through this struggle.

Acne has broken me down but i am hopefully that one day things will get better.

Achievements

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

I don't have answers to your questions but i just wanted to stop by and lend my support.  You are not alone.  Why not slowly up your dosage of spiro slowly and give it it 4-6 months to see if it helps.  A topical may also be a good idea.

Keep us posted and keep your head up.  I took a look at your pictures and you are definitely beautiful

#71 kelseylee

kelseylee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

Hi stacy! agh shitty to hear your skin is acting up. i know the feeling. that's awesome you're getting into some cool science in college tho. so hmm yeah i was thinking about what you mentioned in your post. i know i should probably refrain from giving you suggestions or saying what i would do in your situation, since i am no doctor but im going to blab anyway cuz maybe it will help at least support wise.

Periods can be irregular, esp when you deal with any hormonal issues and you're young and not on bc, that's pretty normal. So that's prolly what's going on with your cycle and maybe is aggravating your skin too. To answer your last question, I would say ppl take spiro w/hormonal bc to further regulate and stabilize hormones. Does anyone else know other reasons this is done?

Bc is literally introducing estrogen/progesterone into your body, while spiro, as far as I understand, 1 helps block androgens, which will promote estrogen/progesterone balance and increase them, 2 contains weak progesterone properties, and 3 contains indirect estrogen boosting effects. So when you really think about it, spiro is a lot like birth control, the method of controlling hormones is just different. bc doesn't specifically block androgens like spiro but both reduce testosterone and promote a functional balance of female hormones. Using both would essentially provide a stronger defense in balancing hormones, imho. I would probably up my spiro to 100 mg and consider introducing a bc, but again, just me, you have to do what feels intuitively right! anytime you're changing anything, upping spiro, introducing bc, it is still a change that can have effects, but my attitude is kind of like, if they're shitty now, why don't I try something and see if it helps. Have you spoken to your doctor about upping spiro? from what i've understood, you might have to be on quite a bit more before you see improvements.

As far as your mild hair loss, this happened to me quite a bit with pcos, and I hated it, and maybe thought I was dying. But it was temporary (my hair is a lot better now) and for me is a lot less of an issue than acne. I have heard that when testosterone lowers, your hair gets less thick because testosterone encourages thicker hair and more hair growth, so try to look at it as a natural thing--you're not losing hair cuz you're sick or anything, its just adjusting with your hormone levels (?) (pseudo science alert). Once things stabilize and your body gets used to spiro, I would imagine the hair loss would not become an issue. 

From looking at your skin, it is very similar to the acne I have, except I think I have more bumpy clogged pores. For me, I had to start putting something stronger on it because it just was not budging and actually getting worse by the day either not washing or just using something very mild like aveda green science. Treating whats going on inside is so important, but at some point treating the outside starts to look pretty appealing too, IF you find the right thing. For me like i've said a bunch of times african black soap helped my skin tremendously; maybe getting some tropicals (lol just realized i wrote tropicals...topicals) would help..even salycilic acid and a good cleanser could calm things down.  

I know this is kind of out there but have you been checked for vitamin d or iron levels? If those two things are low it can make you feel shitty...those are two supplements i feel have quite a bit of efficacy. I read some psuedo science thing about low levels of vitamin d exacerbating/causing excessive sebum production, cuz your skin is trying to produce vitamin d on its own, idk. i've been taking 5,000-10,000 IU's a day and I like it.

Wooh how's everybody doing?  

Edited by kelseylee, 17 March 2013 - 01:22 AM.

#72 feebedel

feebedel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

Hey! I started Spiro August 2011 which seems like forever ago now that I think about it. Anyway, I had cystic hormonal acne and I was on 150mg for a long time and it worked wonders! After about 4 weeks I could tell my skin and hair were less oily. I used to have to wash my hair like twice a day. It was awful. I had really clear skin with mild breakouts around my somewhat random periods. Then in the summer of 2012 my face got bad again. ALmost as bad as it was. So my doc upped my scripts to 200mg a day with 200mg of doxycycline. It was alright, but didn't seem to do much. I also stopped getting my periods when it went up and I felt icky all the time. Just like I was constantly PMSing. I also had to pee like ALL the time. So, I said screw it and backed down to 100mg of both meds (which I should have consulted my doc, but whatever), It was like a miracle, after about 2 months my periods became regular again and my face cleared up. So I've been clear again for about 4 months or so. Very few break outs. Mostly just scaring. I just wanted to share my story with you and hope that my success story might make you feel better. After the first month and a half I noticed a difference and by the end of month 3 I saw a huge difference. I didn't have welts on my skin anymore. I hope this works for you. It's been great for me so far.  

GOOD LUCK!!!

#73 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

I don't have answers to your questions but i just wanted to stop by and lend my support.  You are not alone.  Why not slowly up your dosage of spiro slowly and give it it 4-6 months to see if it helps.  A topical may also be a good idea.

Keep us posted and keep your head up.  I took a look at your pictures and you are definitely beautiful

Thankyou for your encouraging words Sasch :)

#74 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:12 AM

Hi Tracy, thank's for writing smile.png I really appreciate hearing about your experience. So it has took 13 weeks you say for you to start seeing good reults then? Did you ever get like tiny small spots? This is what Im dealing with right now, its actually totally knocking me back for six, I feel so disgusted by myself and I do keep wondering I should just suck it up and be patient you know. Its really hard. Its hard to block my ego self from thinking "the world and people around me are staring at me and think Im a monster" kind of thing.

I know exactly what you mean that if you can eat dairy and not break out, then why would it affect me now? I think though sometimes in our womanly cycle we are much more sensitive to certain chemicals and hormones, especially in milk. I'm not sure though. Did you just take Spiro or did you take BCP too?

Thankyou! If I need extra support I'll be sure to pm you, and you too btw. When your breakout was at its worst, how long would you say it lasted?

hello again! yeah i would say once i hit the 3 month mark that things started to get better but i am sure the antibiotic is really helping a lot as well. i was getting really inflamed little zits and cysts so basically my entire face hurt so bad. it was odd because when i would get the small zits before they would never be inflammed like that. my skin was like super red too and now its back to normal color thank goodness. i felt like such a freak and i pretty much stopped going out and doing things. i started breaking out really bad at the end of november and then my face started to look pretty good around the middle of february. so its was pretty much a constant but i started spiro at 25, 50, 75 and 100mg. i think if i would have just started with the 100mg i would have seen results faster and i noticed too every single time i upped the dose i would breakout. if you are only on 25mg i would definitley up to at least 50 but the derm i see said that most patients only respond to a dose between 100-200mg so you might want to think about jumping right up to 100mg now. also my derm said the spiro alone will not clear me so you need a good topical as well as antibiotics at least for the first few months to get you over the period of time until the spiro starts to work. now if you are against antibiotics then i would try and just wait it out and hope that it will get better so that you dont have to take them but even a low dose doxycycline of 50mg would probably help you out and it wont mess up your gut flora either.  i dont take the pill just the spiro because the pill makes my acne like 10 times worse and i had a phlebitis in my arm years ago so i am not able to take hormonal birth control which is fine with me. dont worry though it will get better i promise!! take care of yourself.

Edited by tracy521, 18 March 2013 - 07:13 AM.

#75 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:18 AM

Hi stacy! agh shitty to hear your skin is acting up. i know the feeling. that's awesome you're getting into some cool science in college tho. so hmm yeah i was thinking about what you mentioned in your post. i know i should probably refrain from giving you suggestions or saying what i would do in your situation, since i am no doctor but im going to blab anyway cuz maybe it will help at least support wise.

Periods can be irregular, esp when you deal with any hormonal issues and you're young and not on bc, that's pretty normal. So that's prolly what's going on with your cycle and maybe is aggravating your skin too. To answer your last question, I would say ppl take spiro w/hormonal bc to further regulate and stabilize hormones. Does anyone else know other reasons this is done?

Bc is literally introducing estrogen/progesterone into your body, while spiro, as far as I understand, 1 helps block androgens, which will promote estrogen/progesterone balance and increase them, 2 contains weak progesterone properties, and 3 contains indirect estrogen boosting effects. So when you really think about it, spiro is a lot like birth control, the method of controlling hormones is just different. bc doesn't specifically block androgens like spiro but both reduce testosterone and promote a functional balance of female hormones. Using both would essentially provide a stronger defense in balancing hormones, imho. I would probably up my spiro to 100 mg and consider introducing a bc, but again, just me, you have to do what feels intuitively right! anytime you're changing anything, upping spiro, introducing bc, it is still a change that can have effects, but my attitude is kind of like, if they're shitty now, why don't I try something and see if it helps. Have you spoken to your doctor about upping spiro? from what i've understood, you might have to be on quite a bit more before you see improvements.

As far as your mild hair loss, this happened to me quite a bit with pcos, and I hated it, and maybe thought I was dying. But it was temporary (my hair is a lot better now) and for me is a lot less of an issue than acne. I have heard that when testosterone lowers, your hair gets less thick because testosterone encourages thicker hair and more hair growth, so try to look at it as a natural thing--you're not losing hair cuz you're sick or anything, its just adjusting with your hormone levels (?) (pseudo science alert). Once things stabilize and your body gets used to spiro, I would imagine the hair loss would not become an issue. 

From looking at your skin, it is very similar to the acne I have, except I think I have more bumpy clogged pores. For me, I had to start putting something stronger on it because it just was not budging and actually getting worse by the day either not washing or just using something very mild like aveda green science. Treating whats going on inside is so important, but at some point treating the outside starts to look pretty appealing too, IF you find the right thing. For me like i've said a bunch of times african black soap helped my skin tremendously; maybe getting some tropicals (lol just realized i wrote tropicals...topicals) would help..even salycilic acid and a good cleanser could calm things down.  

I know this is kind of out there but have you been checked for vitamin d or iron levels? If those two things are low it can make you feel shitty...those are two supplements i feel have quite a bit of efficacy. I read some psuedo science thing about low levels of vitamin d exacerbating/causing excessive sebum production, cuz your skin is trying to produce vitamin d on its own, idk. i've been taking 5,000-10,000 IU's a day and I like it.

Wooh how's everybody doing?  

I love reading your posts Kelseylee, you sounds as if you could talk for hours on this sort of thing! I really appreciate this and thankyou for taking the time to write!

I, too, think that maybe they take the BCP along with the Spiro to balance out the Estrogen, Progesterone and Testosterone. I am thinking about upping the dosage to 50mg, I think I may give it another 2 weeks first though. I see my doctor on Wenesday so we will see how it goes.

I am still in the middle of this major breakout but I don't think it helps that my period has still NOT came. Also, I picked up a prescription for another round od Spiro and it has been the brand name Actavis I have been using but they have given me Genesis so Im hoping the different brand does not have any altering effects!

Wow that's quite a high dosage of Vit D you take, I do take Vit D and have been taking between 1,000iu - 4,000iu for the past month and 2 month now smile.png thinking of taking 5,000iu but I have not been tested for a defficiency - however I do come from Scotland and never go out in the sun so Im pretty sure I would be defficient right? The most sun I get in the course of a year is probably a total of 4 weeks!

ALSO I should let you know that I ordered African Black Soap :) it says with Oats, Aloe and Vitamin E. I am pretty nervous trying it, it does smell nice though, I just hope it does not do any harm than good!

Take care smile.png

Edited by misssac17, 18 March 2013 - 07:20 AM.

#76 skindeepstory

skindeepstory

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

Sierra this is AMAZING! Im so happy you feel good about your skin right now smile.png seriously you deserve this so much. What exactly is Metaformin?

Sometimes I find when not using topicals and even not washing me face for a couple days the redness goes down significantly smile.png

Awesome I love youtube, its amazing the amount of vlogs and tutorials you can get on that! "Youtube stalker" Haha I am the EXACT same. Love it.

Thanks Stacey!!

I really should lay off the topicals for a bit...

Metformin is another common medicine prescribed for PCOS.  It's actually a diabetic medicine, but, like spiro, has an off-brand use for PCOS.  It can help balance hormones and control PCOS symptoms, including acne.  Most women who have PCOS have some form of insulin resistance, but even those who don't (or at least who don't show it via testing) can take Metformin to control symptoms, including "lean" PCOSers.

This is totally an experiment for me because I did get clear last time around on just the spironolactone.  But compared to last time I tried spiro, my acne is definitely worse so I wanted some reinforcements.  I don't know if it's placebo effect, but I do feel like my carb cravings have been lower since I've started the metformin. And as for the acne, it's hard to tell if the metformin is helping since I've already been on spiro 10 weeks, but it does not seem to be making things worse.

If you do a search on acne.org for Metformin you'll find more info about it.

Hope you are doing well :)

Sierra

Day 31 (week4) - feel terrible.

Hallooo people. Just a wee quick update today. I have had a reeeally busy week with college, honestly. Had alot of experiments (like making salt from a metal and acid - fun stuff like that), also went to the university of Edinburgh for a lecture on Stem Cell Research. It was pretty interesting I must admit.

Ive had ALOT OF BAD bad skin says this full week really, my skin is such a contrast from last week, it is just really inflamed and I ahve spots, new and some old just scattered all over my fucknig face. I swear it is making me feel really low. And I am trying keep my head up. That is my period now 2 weeks late, I dunno if maybe the whole breakout is because of this or what? I just want to know what to do you know. I keep dwindling and wodnering whether to maybe up the Spiro to 50mg? Or should I wait a little longer, or should I even stop it? I have made a conscious decision also that I should go on a BCP if I do decide to stop it, like Dianette again or maybe even try and get Yazmin.

I have also noticed my hair is thinning a little, definately. Not too much but I can tell. I have been having a really really dry throat lately, and wake up alot through the night for a drink of water. Recently, just this week I have been getting alot of Mucus coming out of my nose and mouth EVERY morning, I think I have a small cold/flu thing though, but the mucus is all green and some splurts of blood have been in it too. I have the doctor on Wednesday so hopeully she can tell me what it is.

I am also considering getting the Azelaic Acid again which I ahd in August and stoppped in the end of October. I just feel maybe I do need a topical because these spots are reeeeally bad. I hate my appearance right now and just can't look in mirrors.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xBcMKwbMEcQ

I love this song smile.png

Ps!! I want to know, why do people (some) who take Spiro ALSO take a hormonal birth control? Does this make it more effective or something? And because I don't take a BCP will the Spiro therefore effect me differently? Or am I being dumb lol

Hi there,

I'm so sorry to hear your skin has been acting up this week.  Mine was going crazy the first 2 months on spiro and only recently started to show improvements.  Hope that helps you keep your chin up!

As for birth control, both times I've been prescribed spiro I was also told that I need to go on a BCP as well to as a maintenance plan for my PCOS symptoms.  I'm on one I've never tried before called Generess Fe.  No complaints so far.  Previously I was on one called Zovia which was also great for my acne. 

I've never tried spiro without a BCP but I have read from a lot of ladies that without it, the spiro can definitely mess with your cycle.  If you already have experience with Dianette or Yasmin and like them, I say go for it.  I know...ugh...more medicine!  My thinking is that once my symptoms clear up I am going to ween lower off my dosages so I consider all this temporary.  That makes me feel better about putting all these things into (and onto) my body.  Maybe that will help put a sense of ease into your decision.

Also, spiro can cause a dry nose and throat, including blood in your nose.  The first couple months I noticed when I would blow my nose I would sometimes get a little blood, but I remember this happened last time I was on spiro.  Green mucus sounds like you also have a virus.  Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids and getting enough rest! 

And just remember, you are one day closer to clear skin!!  It takes time, but have faith in the process.

Sending you lots of encouragement and support!

Sierra

Edited by skindeepstory, 18 March 2013 - 12:02 PM.

#77 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

Day 35 (week 5)

Evening guys! Thought I would give you a wee update on me.

I have been pretty busy with college work the past few days so I haven't payed tooooo muc hattention to my skin, although I am still avoiding mirrors a little. From what I see though I have a few really inflamed papules around my jaw and mouth and a few or several infact on my frigging forehead - I took a few photos actually if you want to check them out.

My chest acne is practically non-existent, just a few tiny pimples, which is good, the skin is actually smooth. My back is still improving too, not as good as my chest though.

Im still NOT happy with my skin however, Im trying to grin and bear it, since people like confident people and are attracted to people that can laugh off their flaws and see the beauty inside themselves...I hope anyway!?

Physical wise, okay Im really having a lot of dehydration at night! And I'm urinating pretty damn frequently - like possibly 8-10 times a day. Thats about it right now.

I have the docs tomorrow and am thinking about talking to her about upping my dose to 50mg. But I will see what she things. Hope you are doing great and will let you know what the doctor says :)

x

#78 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

So the doctors went well today. She took blood from me to test out my kidneys and check my hormones again. I always get really nervous at the doctors, like I am dying to ask for a copy of my hormone results from the last time, but can they do that? I tried to see the numbers - I did notice the number at the top was 7.3, I think that was to do with free androgens...but obviously she just stated that they were "within normal range" as per.

Still not too kean on my skin. I also spoke about upping my dosage and we have decided to wait another few weeks before doing that. Its weird she totally does not really know much about Spiro, so it seems all the onus is on me to research and research about it, which I have done. She did tell me that it is off-liscense or something, meaning that we are using to treat acne but it isn't actually meant to treat acne or something.

I am also wondering, since the pharmacy gave me a DIFFERENT brand of the Spiro is it possible for them to change it to the one I have been taking?

Anyway hope you are all keeping well, look forward to hearing from you guys :)

x

#79 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

Right Im kind of freaking out and thinking that maybe I should go to a dermatologist now, I have found this http://www.rosaceans.com/pf.php and it seems to look like my skin, and even when I google image "Pityrosporum folliculitis" the images look identical to my skin. Im kind of worried that perhaps I could have some sort of fungal/yeast infection thing going on which has contributed to my acne then again I obviously do not know for sure...perhaps Im just totally getting paranoid right now.

#80 skindeepstory

skindeepstory

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

So the doctors went well today. She took blood from me to test out my kidneys and check my hormones again. I always get really nervous at the doctors, like I am dying to ask for a copy of my hormone results from the last time, but can they do that? I tried to see the numbers - I did notice the number at the top was 7.3, I think that was to do with free androgens...but obviously she just stated that they were "within normal range" as per.

Still not too kean on my skin. I also spoke about upping my dosage and we have decided to wait another few weeks before doing that. Its weird she totally does not really know much about Spiro, so it seems all the onus is on me to research and research about it, which I have done. She did tell me that it is off-liscense or something, meaning that we are using to treat acne but it isn't actually meant to treat acne or something.

I am also wondering, since the pharmacy gave me a DIFFERENT brand of the Spiro is it possible for them to change it to the one I have been taking?

Anyway hope you are all keeping well, look forward to hearing from you guys smile.png

x

Hi Stacey,

I'm going to the doctor today too!  I always get nervous and emotional.  I worry I am going to start crying in the doctor's office.  Is that weird?  The PCOS thing is just a sensitive subject for me and doctors can be...well...a little dense when it comes to treating the emotional issues that arise from medical problems.

Anyway, you can absolutely get a copy of your test results!  They belong to you.  That's YOUR body.  My parents are doctors so I've learned to really speak up in the doctor's office.  Ask a billion questions and don't ever settle. 

As for the spiro prescription, maybe they gave you generic instead of regular or something like that.  In my experience, all generics are not made alike, so if you are comfortable with the brand you were taking, ask the pharmacy for that one.  If they don't carry it anymore, find a pharmacy that does.  I had to do that with one of my medicines once. 

When it comes to your health you can't afford to be shy.  It's really okay to ask for exactly what you want, and remember, your doctor doesn't necessarily know everything (though you want to find one who you really trust) so do your own research too.

Okay, that was my little rant.  I'm done. 

I also wanted to update.  I went to the derm to get a facial today thinking I would just be getting a soothing massage and extractions, but my esthetician suggested a salicylic acid peel for my skin.  She said her acne was worse than mine (and mine is really turrible) and she did these peels which really helped.  Now her skin looks amazing!  Blemish and scar free, and so even toned...it gave me a lot of hope that I can look that way again too.  So, suffice to say I decided to go for it.

She applied the peel for maybe 45 seconds and while it was on, I won't lie, it felt like my skin was on fire.  But, that didn't last long so it wasn't so bad.  My skin is red now and it's supposed to peel in the next 3-5 days and reveal beautiful new skin.  The salicylic acid is especially good for acne and post acne marks.  I also have a bit of melasma (brownish hyperpigmentation from wacked out hormones) which it's supposed to help too.  And I like the salicyclic especially because it's actually all natural.  It comes from the bark of a tree!  Or so I've read...

Anyway, I'll let you know the results when the peeling is over. 

xo

Sierra

P.S. I just read your rosacea post.  I would suggest you hold off on the self-diagnoses until you get a real diagnosis from your dermatologist.  I used to self diagnose all the time and convinced myself I had a million different things.  I was driving myself nuts until I finally took control and got a doctor to figure out exactly what was going on.  If it's really worrying you, make the appointment ASAP so you can feel secure knowing you are going to find out very soon.  And in the meantime, you can always safely take a strong probiotic and cut the sugar (including fruit) until you see your doc.  That will help if there really is any yeast issue.  My favorite probiotic is the Garden of Life Raw Probiotics for Women.  It's expensive but lasts 3 months. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users