Photo

Stacey's Spiro Log.

spiro spironolactone clogged pores estrogen progesterone testosterone breakout spots red marks tea tree oil

226 replies to this topic

#21 skindeepstory

skindeepstory

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me
  • Interests:Nutrition, Holistic Health, Yoga, Running, Hiking, Cooking, Movies, Music, Aesthetics, Skincare and Cosmetology

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

Hey Sierra how have you been doing? I completely and utterly agree that we are ALL unique, so so unique infact. I know people in the world - normal people lol - try and be nice and supportive and think giving advice is needed, but it is hard to explain to a non acne sufferer about how diet, hormones, stress etc can ALSO contribute to this isn't it? I just need to bite my tongue and not say a word. My real friends are the ones who support what Im doing and wish the best for me and don't try to tell my what to do.

I totally agree with you to stick to a cleansing regime - Ive been doing what Im doing literally for about a month and a bit now. I just wash my face late afternoon (once a day) and let it dry for an hour and apply tea tree oil or apple cider vinegar if it is dry. I haven't used a topical in about 2 months, I gave them up and relaised ..well thought my acne would heal itself without it once I fix inside my body and when it is balanced, however I am considering a good exfoliating regime, so Im still looking into that. I also take supplements (3000iu vit D - I have slowly upped to this - 24mg Zinc, and cod liver oil every other day) I was looking into L-carnite or something? Apparantly it is meant to be good for healing your digestive system.

Did you find you got an IB on the HQRA? The only retinoid I have tried is Differin, but even by taking a pea sized amount it burned my face over time, and I had these burns on my skin for a good few weeks...that's when I decided to stop ALL topicals and just focus on tea tree oil. Good to hear you were having an okay skin day the other day. I am today! Woo. Hope your night out went well.

I have been reading your blog from the beginning Sierra and I must say it is amazing. I try to read a bit when I get time, Ive managed to read all posts of the Dec 2012. You are actually a little like me, I like to call myself a hippie and love the holistic approach to life. I have never read "the power of now" but it sounds like something I'd be interested in. I like the idea of being in the present moment, it is ahrd to do though with all the mind chatter that runs through your head, do you ever meditate?

There is a book that I read on and off and it is called "Your life was never meant to be a struggle" by Roy E Klienwachter, I think you would like it, he is very interested in the idea that we are here in this life to learn things and we chose our parents accordingly before birth to make sure we live our lfie purpose through the life lessons that they teach us. This book also refers to "manifesting" - a subject I love dearly - and how when we focus positively and BELIEVE and KNOW that we will have something, we will.

I know it is very hard to be un-perfect so-to-speak but sometimes we need to show the world our vulnrability and rely on others for a time to make us feel better. We can't always have a braze face and expect everything to go as plan, life isn't like that, its forever changing, it likes to keep us on our toes! I like to say "Happiness is fleeting" - I totally believe this, we need to change this though and attempt to stay happier for longer and if this means opening up to someone who we trust and effectively understands, they can keep encouraging us to 'keep on keeping on'. Then hopefully we will feel so relieved and even happy to have opened up in the first place smile.png some people in the world like to know things, and maybe by telling people our own stories they can then be inspired to share their own and maybe even help others out. Im glad your sisteris supporting you smile.png really, so happy you spoke to her about your PCOS.

Take care!

Hi Stacey!  It's really great hearing about your natural approach.  I've been taking zinc with digestive enzymes and rose hip oil.  I have heard about L-Carnitine on this site actually.  I don't know much about it...

I don't know if I got an initial breakout on HQRA...I started it around the time that I started spiro and I was getting my initial breakout from spiro.  If HQRA did cause an IB, it didn't last long.  Every time I use it my skin improves.  It's little by little, but it's noticeable. 

What I did get when I started HQRA was incredibly red, dry itchy skin.  I started it when my skin was already super dry from self-treatments of benzoyl peroxide.  I should have let my skin heal first before I tried the HQRA.  But that has been resolved pretty easily.  I laid off all topicals for a few days and poured on the moisturizer.  Then I started HQRA again, but every other night instead of every night.  Now I am up to two nights in a row with one night of just moisturizer.  My skin is still a bit red and dry, but nothing terrible.

Sorry to hear about your experience with Differin.  It is different from HQRA, so maybe you would have more luck? 

Thank you for reading my blog!!  I thought only the spammers hung out there :)  I actually got The Power of Now as an audiobook.  I throw it on in the car and it reminds me to relax and consider life in a new way.  I used to meditate every day and then I just sort of petered off.  Now it's once a week or whenever I'm super uptight.  I do meditative yoga which I prefer best.  It is definitely hard to stop the chatter... One of the basic principles in The Power of Now is just to observe the chatter.  Don't let it define you because your mind isn't you.  It's been programmed with the same chatter (often negative for us who are struggling with acne).  Just listening to my own thoughts has been a real awakening. 

I will definitely check out the book you recommended!  I'm kind of a self help junkie ;)

I really appreciate all your kind words and support and especially liked hearing you were having a good skin day!!  Hoooray!!

Sierra

skindeepstory.wordpress.com

Day 9 of 25mg

Ive felt a little discouraged today. I hate how days can be so juxtaposed...one day your amazing, the next your low.

Thankfully Im not experiencing major side effects smile.png Im just hating on my skin today, I kinda caught my face in a small mirror at college (BAD lighting, you know that bright florescent one - doesn't help that the walls and everything else is white.) and I noticed that there are actually so many bumps all over my forehead, like skin coloured but all frigging over. It just looks so disgusting to me and I hate knowing that its on my face like that.

I also went to the bathroom at college, and just about as I was leaving three girls walked in, they were from a Beauty therapy class so they had all their hair and make-up done perrrrfectly. And there was me. Infront of them trying to get past. I heard them giggling alot after I walked away...I KNOW they may probably not have been giggling at my skin or whatever but it just seemed to heighten my total HATE for my skin today. Acht.

I used a clay mask again today, I mix Bentonite Clay with apple cider vinegar, I do actually like it and probably only use it once/twice a week max. I like feeling it pulsating and imagining it cleaning my skin. Im actually considering getting some sort of facial or something, maybe to try and extract all these bumps or something, I dunno, I shall look into it!

And another thing I wanted to mention I noticed on my Spiro the brand name is Actavist, I am guessing that this is a generic brand? I hope it doesn't mean it is less effective than Aldactone.

Just sending a quick digi-hug to you.  I totally hear you about the ups and downs.  One day I feel great and the next is a disaster.  I don't really have advice except to tell you that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and always keep that in mind. 

I know your skin is going to clear and you are doing everything right.  Hang in there!

:)

#22 skindeepstory

skindeepstory

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Nutrition, Holistic Health, Yoga, Running, Hiking, Cooking, Movies, Music, Aesthetics, Skincare and Cosmetology

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

Hi Stacey,

Just checking in and also thought I'd use your board to vent.  Hope that's okay! 

The gosh darn ups and downs of acne really have me down today.  I'm mid week 7 on spironolactone and have spent this morning scouring google for inspiration to be patient.  My skin is not looking so great today, but when I really think about it, I know it has improved from where I started.  It's just SO slow going!

Most of the studies I have read say to give it 3 - 4 months.  I'm not quite at 2 full months yet but I feel like time is moving so slow it might as well be going backwards.

My birthday is tomorrow and I was really hoping for a clear day.  Don't see that happening, but, alas, I do have hope.  I know spiro works for me and that I just need to wait it out...  But I am only human and struggling with having patience for this.

Hope you are having a better day!  Thanks for letting me use your board to let off some steam :)

Sierra

#23 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 155
About Me
  • Interests:Fitness, good food, reading blogs, spiritualism, learning, self-medicating.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:27 AM

Hi Stacey,

Just checking in and also thought I'd use your board to vent.  Hope that's okay! 

The gosh darn ups and downs of acne really have me down today.  I'm mid week 7 on spironolactone and have spent this morning scouring google for inspiration to be patient.  My skin is not looking so great today, but when I really think about it, I know it has improved from where I started.  It's just SO slow going!

Most of the studies I have read say to give it 3 - 4 months.  I'm not quite at 2 full months yet but I feel like time is moving so slow it might as well be going backwards.

My birthday is tomorrow and I was really hoping for a clear day.  Don't see that happening, but, alas, I do have hope.  I know spiro works for me and that I just need to wait it out...  But I am only human and struggling with having patience for this.

Hope you are having a better day!  Thanks for letting me use your board to let off some steam smile.png

Sierra

Happy birthday Sierra!! Ive left it a little late to update my log. Of course I don't mind AT ALL you venting on this page, honestly :) I hope you are feeling alright though.

Trust me I completely know where you are coming from, I am convinced I have more down days as opposed to up days I tell you. But when I have a good day honestly it feels so friggin' great, I love it when I have those days. How about when we feel as though we are having a bad day, we remember how good we actually felt on one of our good days, we will just avoid the mirrors and trust our happier feelings to judge how we plan/go about our day? :) sounds so easy though doesn't it!

But I believe it is true that, that which we feel on the inside and think about ourselves totally reflects our outer experiences...totally. Therefore maybe when we are having a down-day we could like know how far we have come and how well we have eaten and excersised, but instead of getting discouraged and feeling hopeless that something isn't working we could maybe start to appreciate how our acne OR any other problems are forcing us to make other healthier changes. It is definately a journey and whether thats a long, short, never ending one...we need to trust it and hope for the good times but also feeeeel good too. When we feel good we show that in everything; our body language, our voice, our clothes styles. We are happier and more serene and chirpy :) just all because we literally feeeeel grateful, thakful, loved - and as soon as that persistent pang of a negative voice is about to jump in, shut it out. Don't let that b**ch enter in there. 

So be chirpy today Sierra, be you. You are amazing, with or without acne. You have lots of things to feel good about just focus on them, not your skin. I remember a post you wrote on your blog and Im sure you had said when you were relaxed and not-stressed your skin felt and looked much better. Well think back to that relaxing feeling! Look how easy it was then to just let the negative sh** drive past you.

Life is beautiful, it is wonderful and full of many surprises. But most importantly life wants to give us what we want but it can't when we focus on the negative things, because it will just give us the negative things. Find the good things (life goals, aspirations, family, friends, hobbies, love..) that are buried underneath that pile of old rehearsed negative chit chat that keeps saying you have bad skin, and realise that you have so so much to offer to life.

I hope you have the very best birthday today, I don't know about you but Im a sucker for cake haha!

#24 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Fitness, good food, reading blogs, spiritualism, learning, self-medicating.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

Day 13 on 25mg Spiro

Hey guys want to apologise for the slight absence. Hope you are all okay though and still keeping your head's held SO friggin' high! smile.png because you do deserve to you know, you deserve to walk down the street and feel like a queen or king if your a guy. You do though, no-one and I mean not any one person has the right to make you feel as though you shouldn't/cannot do that. And if they do then they are one hell of a malicious, materialistic, down-right A-hole - with a capital A.

I have had a mixed few days. This morning was great, on Monday mornings I go for a walk/jog kind of thing and on my journey this small, seemingly lost, dog ran past me. The next thing all I could hear was whistling and shouting but I could not see who was shouting. So I stopped and it then became clear that the man who was shouting lost his dog - the one that ran right past me.

So I was kinda confused, didn't know whether to keep going and forget about this or help him. I literally paced up and down a couple metres thinknig about this. My heart got the better of me and I actually walked in the direction of the wee dog, and after a few minutes I saw him. He was just having the time of his life I guess sniffing about a new territory, chasing his tale and all that jazz...I eventually whistled on him and he started at me then after a few minutes he came running to me and went past me and back to his owner. Im not gonna lie I felt pretty good about myself.

I like those little things in life, the ones that make you relfect and think. Surely that was a test of heart/compassion/empathy or something similar from life? Surely!? Well I certainly passed it. Ance is a test too though, I believe. Don't you? I personally believe it is a test of patience, courage and confidence.

I had trouble sleeping this weekend :/ like a whole 6 hours the full weekend. It was horrible and I felt shitty and because I felt so tired and lethargic I made bad food choices, BAD. So aside from feeling guilty about eating a shed load of crap and hating on my body right now, I haven't felt disgusted by my skin. Its been no too bad recently, my right cheek is especially doing well. A large spot with accumulated seemingly overnight a couple weeks ago is now practically gone. I would say the only thing noticable is my red Hyperpigmentation marks, but overall Im feeling alright with it just now. It is still bumpy too but not AS much, considering the amount of sugar I gorged on at the weekend...honestly.

As for the spiro, could be my imagination but I have noticed a bit more hair shedding from what I normally get, Im trying to keep this tucked away in my mind though because I love my hair (you know that ONE thing you actually adore/like/love about your appearance) and I don't want to bring focus to the idea of it going somewhere. On top of that I have been more thirsty and peeing just a a couple extra times a day smile.png

Have an awesome day people!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=KlyXNRrsk4A

Edited by misssac17, 25 February 2013 - 07:54 AM.

#25 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=_est5zPL6eo

I just wanted you guys to have a listen at how good this song is. I absolutely love this guy, and I only heard him yesterday for the first time!

#26 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:40 AM

Day 15 25mg Spiro

Morning, Im feeling mixed feelings. On the bad side I have a wee minor breakout it seems. Over night NIGHT I have accumulated about 5 spots with heads around my chin and mouth area...not good. I don't know if it is the anti-depressants kicking in or what (oh yea I started taking them again 4 days ago) but I don't feel ashamed as I normally would about my skin...I think it is because I believe sooo strongly that Spiro will work for me. It will...right? But then again maybe the anti-depressants have caused this? Who knows. They are a lttle sore and I never get sore spots, they actually seem as though they won't last very long though.

Also I was freaking out today because everytime I play with my hair a few strands fall out. Is this just paranioa?

Anyway hope you are all doing well!

Edited by misssac17, 27 February 2013 - 05:41 AM.

#27 skindeepstory

skindeepstory

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

Happy birthday Sierra!! Ive left it a little late to update my log. Of course I don't mind AT ALL you venting on this page, honestly smile.png I hope you are feeling alright though.

Trust me I completely know where you are coming from, I am convinced I have more down days as opposed to up days I tell you. But when I have a good day honestly it feels so friggin' great, I love it when I have those days. How about when we feel as though we are having a bad day, we remember how good we actually felt on one of our good days, we will just avoid the mirrors and trust our happier feelings to judge how we plan/go about our day? smile.png sounds so easy though doesn't it!

But I believe it is true that, that which we feel on the inside and think about ourselves totally reflects our outer experiences...totally. Therefore maybe when we are having a down-day we could like know how far we have come and how well we have eaten and excersised, but instead of getting discouraged and feeling hopeless that something isn't working we could maybe start to appreciate how our acne OR any other problems are forcing us to make other healthier changes. It is definately a journey and whether thats a long, short, never ending one...we need to trust it and hope for the good times but also feeeeel good too. When we feel good we show that in everything; our body language, our voice, our clothes styles. We are happier and more serene and chirpy smile.png just all because we literally feeeeel grateful, thakful, loved - and as soon as that persistent pang of a negative voice is about to jump in, shut it out. Don't let that b**ch enter in there. 

So be chirpy today Sierra, be you. You are amazing, with or without acne. You have lots of things to feel good about just focus on them, not your skin. I remember a post you wrote on your blog and Im sure you had said when you were relaxed and not-stressed your skin felt and looked much better. Well think back to that relaxing feeling! Look how easy it was then to just let the negative sh** drive past you.

Life is beautiful, it is wonderful and full of many surprises. But most importantly life wants to give us what we want but it can't when we focus on the negative things, because it will just give us the negative things. Find the good things (life goals, aspirations, family, friends, hobbies, love..) that are buried underneath that pile of old rehearsed negative chit chat that keeps saying you have bad skin, and realise that you have so so much to offer to life.

I hope you have the very best birthday today, I don't know about you but Im a sucker for cake haha!

Thanks so much Stacey.  I feel like I just wrote myself that note!  We're very much alike.

That really made a big difference for me and can't tell you how much I appreciate it.  You are SO right:  "That which we feel on the inside and think about ourselves totally reflects our outer experiences."  I actually printed that out and put it on my desk.

I had a great birthday and yes, I ate cake - well, a cupcake - and it was delish!

xo

Sierra

#28 skindeepstory

skindeepstory

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

Day 15 25mg Spiro

Morning, Im feeling mixed feelings. On the bad side I have a wee minor breakout it seems. Over night NIGHT I have accumulated about 5 spots with heads around my chin and mouth area...not good. I don't know if it is the anti-depressants kicking in or what (oh yea I started taking them again 4 days ago) but I don't feel ashamed as I normally would about my skin...I think it is because I believe sooo strongly that Spiro will work for me. It will...right? But then again maybe the anti-depressants have caused this? Who knows. They are a lttle sore and I never get sore spots, they actually seem as though they won't last very long though.

Also I was freaking out today because everytime I play with my hair a few strands fall out. Is this just paranioa?

Anyway hope you are all doing well!

Good Morning!

It's great to hear that you aren't letting a few spots ruin your day.  I don't know much about your anti-depressant, but I suspect those spots have to do with the spiro.  The first few weeks I was on it I definitely dealt with "overnight" pimples and a pretty funky initial breakout.  In my experience, this IB just means that the spiro is working!

As for hair loss, spiro does have a tendency to cause it in some people.  I was on it for 3 years and my hair fell out a bit more than usual, but it wasn't significant or noticeable to anyone else.  What's funny this time around is that it seems like the spiro has actually halted the hair loss I was experiencing before I started it!

You can always back down from the spiro once it starts to work (which is what I plan on doing) by VERY slowly weaning down 25 mgs at a time to see if that helps your hair while continuing to give you clear skin.  Of course, check in with your doc before doing so.  And perhaps do some research on your anti-depressant and any other medicine you started taking just to make sure they are not the cause. 

If it helps to inspire, I just started week 8 yesterday and things are really looking a lot more clear on my end!  Some people clear up even faster.  I feel VERY strongly that the spiro will work for you.  I do!  I can't say it enough - it has been an absolute miracle for me and the only thing that has ever worked.  And I've read dozens of other testimonials from women who feel the same way. 

Stick with it, stay positive and continue to picture yourself with perfect clear glowing skin.  It's on the way!! 

:)

Sierra

#29 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Good Morning!

It's great to hear that you aren't letting a few spots ruin your day.  I don't know much about your anti-depressant, but I suspect those spots have to do with the spiro.  The first few weeks I was on it I definitely dealt with "overnight" pimples and a pretty funky initial breakout.  In my experience, this IB just means that the spiro is working!

As for hair loss, spiro does have a tendency to cause it in some people.  I was on it for 3 years and my hair fell out a bit more than usual, but it wasn't significant or noticeable to anyone else.  What's funny this time around is that it seems like the spiro has actually halted the hair loss I was experiencing before I started it!

You can always back down from the spiro once it starts to work (which is what I plan on doing) by VERY slowly weaning down 25 mgs at a time to see if that helps your hair while continuing to give you clear skin.  Of course, check in with your doc before doing so.  And perhaps do some research on your anti-depressant and any other medicine you started taking just to make sure they are not the cause. 

If it helps to inspire, I just started week 8 yesterday and things are really looking a lot more clear on my end!  Some people clear up even faster.  I feel VERY strongly that the spiro will work for you.  I do!  I can't say it enough - it has been an absolute miracle for me and the only thing that has ever worked.  And I've read dozens of other testimonials from women who feel the same way. 

Stick with it, stay positive and continue to picture yourself with perfect clear glowing skin.  It's on the way!! 

smile.png

Sierra

Its funny you are saying good morning, since its already 19.21 over here lol I will be in bed in a few hours! I do believe we are actually very much alike. Out of curiosity what star sign are you?

Thankyou so much for your support and kind words, Im having quite a bad day today...little, and I mean little red spots have appeared too, it kinda sucks. In ways I do hope it is the Spiro BUT I also had some peanut butter the other day and had not ate it for about a few weeks , so I actually thought it may have even been due to that? But I looove PB so frigging much haha so I hope its the Spiro and I hope it doesn't last too long.

Its 100mg your on isn't it? Im soo so pleased you are feeling better about your skin. Really. You deserve to see a huge improvement! Well done for eating the cupcake :) Im an absolute lover of cakes...oaft. I caught up with your blog too and actually left a wee comment on one of the posts! I love reading it because your words actually remind me of my positive attitude about life (when I am actually in that positive mood lol). I have alot of pessimistic days as opposed to optimistic but for the most part I TRY to stay optimistic.

My hair is my pride. So I hope I don't lose too much, I will really cry if I do! Its quite long-ish and curly/wavy but a medium thickness...not too thick not too thin. However I do have a slight receeded hairline and I keep double taking in the mirror as I feel my left side is now a bit more receeded. Its probably just me over-analysing like I always do and creating it though :P

Hope you have a good day lovely x

#30 zulu59

zulu59

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

Thanks for making this Spiro log...i just started today and honestly...i'm terrified. my derm doc didn't tell me ANYTHING about spiro, or that i might have an IB, so i've been doing all of the research myself. Hoping for the best!

#31 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

Hey I wanted to check in and see how things are going with you and your spiro. Are you still on the 25mg? I am still doing the 100mg and things havent changed much. I am getting little white heads about daily maybe one or two tiny little guys though and I can just prick them and they go away the next day. My forehead has cleared up since starting three weeks ago. I am using witch hazel in my am and pm face wash routine and then every other night I use retin a mixed with my moisturizer. Hoping to kill the ance inside and out! Seems to be doing the trick. It doesn't dry me out too bad and moisturizing helps that out right away. I know the spiro will only stop acne from coming it won't actually heal anything on the outside so we need to treat the acne we already have with topicals or peels or whatever.

Hopefully you are having more good days than bad and the new medication is helping you stay positive! I doubt it is breaking you out though. I am thinking if you feel like you've been breaking out since starting it, you are probably getting the famous spiro IB. The timing is just crappy. Hang in there sweetie time and spiro will heal you up :)

#32 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

Day 18 25mg Spiro

Evening guys, just a quick update. So Im feeling extrememly low at the moment. The low-ness is due to the fact I had 1 hour sleep, ONE hour sleep, last night before working (6am-2pm). I hate not being able to get to sleep, I feel for me sleeping soundly is like an integral part of what I NEED - but for some reason I find it so difficult at the weekends, before work.

I also feel extremely bloated, I went over-board on the PB yesterday again, and also my period is due today apparantly so it could be that. I just feel horrible and just fat and disgusting. I hate this feeling, I hate it so so much...I normally try my best to look on the positive side of shit but today I'm not having it.

My skin doesn't look too bad, it is not as red as normal which is a good thing, but I still have a few spots im places that have cropped up this past week...I am starting to believe that it is the initial breakout. This is just 2 and a half weeks in so Im thinking and hoping in my mind that by about week 8 I will hopefully see improvements?

I just hope I sleep tonight I have another 6-2 shift tomorrow.

Hey I wanted to check in and see how things are going with you and your spiro. Are you still on the 25mg? I am still doing the 100mg and things havent changed much. I am getting little white heads about daily maybe one or two tiny little guys though and I can just prick them and they go away the next day. My forehead has cleared up since starting three weeks ago. I am using witch hazel in my am and pm face wash routine and then every other night I use retin a mixed with my moisturizer. Hoping to kill the ance inside and out! Seems to be doing the trick. It doesn't dry me out too bad and moisturizing helps that out right away. I know the spiro will only stop acne from coming it won't actually heal anything on the outside so we need to treat the acne we already have with topicals or peels or whatever.

Hopefully you are having more good days than bad and the new medication is helping you stay positive! I doubt it is breaking you out though. I am thinking if you feel like you've been breaking out since starting it, you are probably getting the famous spiro IB. The timing is just crappy. Hang in there sweetie time and spiro will heal you up smile.png

Hey :) how have you been doing lately? Im still on 25mg yea, I plan to stay on at this dosage for at least another few weeks to a month. Im so happy to hear that you are only experiencing tiny white heads that clear quickly, that is great. The fact that your forehead is clearing on week three gives me hope! Il be at the start of week three in 3 days but I still have congested skin on my forehead, not so much my cheeks anymore. I have noticed that the redness has gone down ALOT, but I also take 3000iu Vit D a day so I think that could be helping too :) do you take any supplements at all?

I was wondering are you experiencing any other symptoms with the 100mg?

Thankyou for your encouraging words, it really really means alot to me especially on a crappy day like this :) hope your having a good relaxing weekend

#33 skindeepstory

skindeepstory

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:43 AM

Day 18 25mg Spiro

Evening guys, just a quick update. So Im feeling extrememly low at the moment. The low-ness is due to the fact I had 1 hour sleep, ONE hour sleep, last night before working (6am-2pm). I hate not being able to get to sleep, I feel for me sleeping soundly is like an integral part of what I NEED - but for some reason I find it so difficult at the weekends, before work.

I also feel extremely bloated, I went over-board on the PB yesterday again, and also my period is due today apparantly so it could be that. I just feel horrible and just fat and disgusting. I hate this feeling, I hate it so so much...I normally try my best to look on the positive side of shit but today I'm not having it.

My skin doesn't look too bad, it is not as red as normal which is a good thing, but I still have a few spots im places that have cropped up this past week...I am starting to believe that it is the initial breakout. This is just 2 and a half weeks in so Im thinking and hoping in my mind that by about week 8 I will hopefully see improvements?

Hey girl,

I'm so sorry to hear you are having a crummy day.  One hour of sleep is crazytown!  I really hope you were able to catch up.  I've also noticed that I am having problems sleeping recently.  I have never been a good sleeper, but it's definitely worse than usual.  I wonder if it's related to the spiro...it very well could be. 

Congrats on two and a half weeks!  I see that as two and a half weeks behind you.  It's progress!  No matter what your skin looks like now, you are moving forward.  Trust in this process and know that spironolactone is a journey, not an overnight cure.  I am almost done with 8 weeks and I only recently started clearing.  But I am and it's really exciting. 

Count every new day as a blessing because you are one day closer to your ultimate goal of clear skin.  But in the meantime, try to remember to enjoy the NOW, no matter what you see in the mirror.  You are SO much more than your reflection!

Sending a hug your way.

Sierra

Thanks for making this Spiro log...i just started today and honestly...i'm terrified. my derm doc didn't tell me ANYTHING about spiro, or that i might have an IB, so i've been doing all of the research myself. Hoping for the best!

Hey there!  I'm sorry to hear your derm did not tell you much about spironolactone.  The good news is there is tons of info online.  Thank goodness for google :)

I don't know what your condition is but I have heard of many women that have no initial breakout.  These generally seem to be ladies with less severe acne, but it is totally possible to just clear up with no IB!  However, we can't all be so lucky so just remember to be patient with spiro.  As long as it's not affecting your health negatively, stick with it because results can take time.

Look forward to hearing your progress! 

Sierra

#34 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

Spiro can make you more of an insomniac. This was resolved for me by taking by morning dose at 8am and my evening dose at 3pm.

#35 skindeepstory

skindeepstory

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

So...this is very difficult for me but I've decided to post a few pictures.

This is me, mid week 8 on spironolactone, BCP, Acanya Gel and HQRA. I am red, inflammed and dry with 3 very non-coverupable acne lesions and lots of half pimples, post inflammatory scarring, blackheads and clogged pores. It's not a pretty picture, but I thought it might give hope to anyone who is at this stage on spiro and not happy with the results.

If you don't know me, I've treated my skin with spironolactone before and I remember it taking a LONG time to finally work. About 4 months. But when it did work it REALLY worked.

I actually looked better a few days ago but I had a major emotional binge and ate everything in sight with sugar, dairy and gluten. It was a lot of self sabotage and caused tons of inflammation to my acne. I'm not proud of it, but it's the honest truth.

My advice for anyone just starting a new acne regime, epecially spiro, is to be patient and help your body along by nourishing it with plenty of whole plant-based foods and do your best to avoid sugar and dairy. Gluten is still controversial but it doesn't hurt to cut it for a few weeks and then test it again to see if it makes a difference.

Spiro Mid Week 8 1
Album: Spironolactone Week 8
3 images
4 comments

#36 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

Are you going to up your dose? Based on your pics I would say you're going to need 100mg to see results. 

#37 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Hey :) how have you been doing lately? Im still on 25mg yea, I plan to stay on at this dosage for at least another few weeks to a month. Im so happy to hear that you are only experiencing tiny white heads that clear quickly, that is great. The fact that your forehead is clearing on week three gives me hope! Il be at the start of week three in 3 days but I still have congested skin on my forehead, not so much my cheeks anymore. I have noticed that the redness has gone down ALOT, but I also take 3000iu Vit D a day so I think that could be helping too :) do you take any supplements at all?
I was wondering are you experiencing any other symptoms with the 100mg?
Thankyou for your encouraging words, it really really means alot to me especially on a crappy day like this :) hope your having a good relaxing weekend

I have been doing well thank you for asking. Spiro seems to be working to stop new breakouts from happening. I am maybe getting a tiny whitehead every few days otherwise things seem to be clearing. Forehead is doing good and I have just a few healing whiteheads. I start month 2 next week and I'm hoping for more improvements from here on out! Then I get to continue to work on these red marks I have. I never was able to get rid of them after accutane so hopefully spiro will keep me clear and I can work on the more superficial parts of acne.

I do take supplements, I take fish oil daily and probiotics. As far as side effects or anything no I don't experience anythings out of the norm. I drink more water and use the bathroom a tad more than usual but nothing that crazy. Maybe 2 or 3 times more a day tops. Luckly it hasn't affected me at night at all. I take my 100mg all at once when I wake up. I have thought about splitting the pill and taking 50 in the morning and then 50 at lunch time or something. I'm not sure that would be beneficial or not. Something to think about... How are you today?

#38 zulu59

zulu59

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

Day 18 25mg Spiro

Hey girl,

I'm so sorry to hear you are having a crummy day.  One hour of sleep is crazytown!  I really hope you were able to catch up.  I've also noticed that I am having problems sleeping recently.  I have never been a good sleeper, but it's definitely worse than usual.  I wonder if it's related to the spiro...it very well could be. 

Congrats on two and a half weeks!  I see that as two and a half weeks behind you.  It's progress!  No matter what your skin looks like now, you are moving forward.  Trust in this process and know that spironolactone is a journey, not an overnight cure.  I am almost done with 8 weeks and I only recently started clearing.  But I am and it's really exciting. 

Count every new day as a blessing because you are one day closer to your ultimate goal of clear skin.  But in the meantime, try to remember to enjoy the NOW, no matter what you see in the mirror.  You are SO much more than your reflection!

Sending a hug your way.

Sierra

>Thanks for making this Spiro log...i just started today and honestly...i'm terrified. my derm doc didn't tell me ANYTHING about spiro, or that i might have an IB, so i've been doing all of the research myself. Hoping for the best!

Hey there!  I'm sorry to hear your derm did not tell you much about spironolactone.  The good news is there is tons of info online.  Thank goodness for google smile.png

I don't know what your condition is but I have heard of many women that have no initial breakout.  These generally seem to be ladies with less severe acne, but it is totally possible to just clear up with no IB!  However, we can't all be so lucky so just remember to be patient with spiro.  As long as it's not affecting your health negatively, stick with it because results can take time.

Look forward to hearing your progress! 

Sierra

thank you for the advice! :) i guess my acne would be considered moderate, though it is worsened by my extremely combination (namely, dry) skin. i have TONS of tiny white bumps under the skin all over my face (mostly on my cheeks and jawline) and do get medium- large pimples pretty regularly, though NOT cysts. my most consistent form of acne are the small bumps. i've only gotten a cyst maybe 2 or 3 times before i started spiro. i'm starting to wonder if spiro will even help with this kind of acne? i never had a blood test, and my derm kinda seemed in the clouds (she asked her assistant if using makeup with 1% salicyllic acid would make me breakout, has NEVER heard of spiro causing an IB, didn't even ask me or suggest to go on birth control, etc).

#39 skindeepstory

skindeepstory

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

Are you going to up your dose? Based on your pics I would say you're going to need 100mg to see results. 

Hi!  Unfortunately, I'm already at 200mgs a day.  At my weight that is the absolute highest dosage I can safely take.  I've had clear skin before at 150mg so I feel confident it's just a very slow process for me...

#40 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

Hey Zulu :) thanks for taking the time to read my log! I wish you good luck with Spiro. What dosage are you doing?

So...this is very difficult for me but I've decided to post a few pictures.

This is me, mid week 8 on spironolactone, BCP, Acanya Gel and HQRA. I am red, inflammed and dry with 3 very non-coverupable acne lesions and lots of half pimples, post inflammatory scarring, blackheads and clogged pores. It's not a pretty picture, but I thought it might give hope to anyone who is at this stage on spiro and not happy with the results.

If you don't know me, I've treated my skin with spironolactone before and I remember it taking a LONG time to finally work. About 4 months. But when it did work it REALLY worked.

I actually looked better a few days ago but I had a major emotional binge and ate everything in sight with sugar, dairy and gluten. It was a lot of self sabotage and caused tons of inflammation to my acne. I'm not proud of it, but it's the honest truth.

My advice for anyone just starting a new acne regime, epecially spiro, is to be patient and help your body along by nourishing it with plenty of whole plant-based foods and do your best to avoid sugar and dairy. Gluten is still controversial but it doesn't hurt to cut it for a few weeks and then test it again to see if it makes a difference.

Hey love :) I appreciate this post and this is a very brave step for you to post pictures of yourself. I love how you are honest about your binge, have you had any past issues with binge eating or anything? You still look beautiful in your pictures and honestly I wouldn't even notice them if I were to see you in real life because Im pretty sure your personality and charisma would far out weigh any silly blemish!

After I binge, my skin tends to be fine after a good few days to a week. I know exactly how you must have felt after it. That horrible rise of guilt which surfaces every inch of your mind, the feeling of anger at yourself. Its during those times though that we must not get angry with ourself and just acknowledge what happened and be easy on ourselves, we are aloud to live a little and go over board sometimes...we are only human.

I hope your feeling better Sierra, get outside for a lovely walk and see the beauty in life and nature, even go for a nice jog/run. Keep your chin up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users