Photo

Stacey's Spiro Log.

spiro spironolactone clogged pores estrogen progesterone testosterone breakout spots red marks tea tree oil

226 replies to this topic

#221 pinkpugsy

pinkpugsy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

Thanks pinkpugsy . Nice to know its probably the spiro .  I wonder if that means that my hormones were really out of balance.  Any way I really hope it works.  I have only been on it a week and am actually surprised I would get any effects like loss of appetite so quickly when the derm told me I won't see improvements until around 6 months.

It seems like there is a lot of disagreement among derms about spiro.  Mine told me I should see good results within 3 months.  He wanted me to watch out for side effects within the first couple of weeks (dizziness, LBP, etc.), so it didn't surprise me when I noticed the thirst right away.  The appetite changes only really came for me big time around week 4, though.  On a positive note, they had to take in the waist of my wedding dress! haha

#222 BlueMoon3

BlueMoon3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

So glad you have this log as I just started spiro . I  am 34 and have had severe oily skin and acne since I was 13.  I have been on accutane 3 times and every time it worked and a few months later it all comes back the severely clogged skin and oily skin.  I don't get a ton of actual pimples they all stay under neath the skin so I have severely clogged pores and discoloration all over my skin.  My derm gave me minocyline to prevent initial break out and he told me it takes up to 6 months to work. He kept calling this the magic bullet that works, but I don't know how many times I have been told that by a derm about retina and accutane.  I keep getting retina prescribed by every derm I see after telling them it has  never worked for me.  Any one have suggestions of how to apply maybe I am not applying it right as too much and too frequent possibly?  I am scared to try the retina again because all it did was make me red and cause break outs and I gave it try each time for at least 6 months.  I feel like at 34 I should be worried about wrinkles and not acne and severely oily skin!  At first I kinda gave up and felt like I had to accept my skin. However, it does get me down and decided to see a derm as I have moved to another state thinking maybe they could help. i don't expect perfection, but seeing how clear I was on accutane its frustrating to know my skin can get clear and not oily. False hope for 6 months each time I was on it.  I am curious to keep reading your log to see your progress.

Also forgot to mention since staring spire and minocycline I have lost my apetite completely and find it hard to eat as I have to force myself to eat due to the mincocyline its a mandotory to eat right before or it causes vomitting and nausea.  I don't know if its the spiro or the minocycline thats causing my lack of appetite. 

Ninergirl, have you experienced any long-term side effects from your three courses on Roaccutane? I've only been on it once, and my skin was clear for a couple of years afterwards. I only had one or two spots every now and then, which was nothing. Anyway, now it's all coming back because I came off BCP six months ago. I've tried antibiotics and creams in the past few months, but I've had to stop the antibiotics because they were causing digestive issues and nausea. Anyway, I'm just contemplating whether I should go for another course of Roaccutane (which may just get rid of my spots completely), or going for Spiro, as my issue may be hormonal. I would go for the Roaccutane as it's short-lived and I wouldn't have to be on medication for a long time, but I'm worried that it will harm my joints. I had painful joints during my first course, but this may have been caused by not drinking enough water. I am reading horrid stories all over the net about people developing arthritis after taking several courses of Roaccutane. 

Edited by BlueMoon3, 27 July 2013 - 09:00 AM.

#223 Ninergirl

Ninergirl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:NFL,Kickboxing, MMA,

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

Hey Bluemoon,

No I have not experienced any long term side effects.  I would say the only difficulty I had is the 2nd and third time I took accutane I was clear by the second month and I had a hard time when my dose was upped.  I felt extremely tired like I was on tylenol pm and I love working out and I had really bad joint pain, but it all went away each time I was off of accutane.  Arthritis runs in my family.  I had knee surgery at 16 and was told I would have arthritis.  I recently went to see my dr about it since my knees and fingers were hurting, but I have been working out alot more and harder.  She said I was totally fine and almost everyone gets some for arthritis with age and did not think accutane would have anything to do with it if anything my genes and my knee surgery.  I think everybody has a different reaction, but I can definitely say I have had no long term side effects.  I just started spiro and Minocycline and hoping they work especially the spiro, but have noticed no changes other than having no appetite, but I know it will take a while for it to work. I always thought it was more hormonal, but all my derms disagreed.  I don't have any complaints from accutane other than it being a tease and disappointing since I was so clear and oil free, but it never lasted and once I stopped taking it my skin went right back to how it was.

Blue moon forgot to mention ...Let me know what you end up deciding.  Maybe you can ask your derm which is better

#224 pinkpugsy

pinkpugsy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

Update.. it's been about 11 1/2 weeks on Spiro (50mg twice a day) and 5 1/2 weeks on Differin at night.  I'm kind of scared to say this BUT MY FACE IS CLEAR! No little bumps, no cysts, nothing.  It's been 5 or so days since I had a pimple, and even that was very small and came to a head in 24 hours.  I still have red marks, but they aren't noticeable with just a little bit of foundation.  I'm not even wearing concealer.  

Side effects: HORRIBLE breakout right at Day 21 of Differin.  Lots of large, deep pustules on both cheeks and jawline.  Lasted about 9 days, then I cleared up completely.  Slightly dry skin (better than being an oil slick like I was before).  Still no appetite from the Spiro- I have to be careful and remember to eat if I'm alone.  If I don't eat and stay hydrated, I can tell my blood pressure drops and I feel sick.

I wanted to quit so many times but promised my derm I'd see out 3 months on Spiro and 8 weeks on Differin.  I'm so glad I did!  I know I may still have some ups and downs, but my face has not looked this good since I developed bad acne this spring.  Fingers crossed it looks this good for the wedding in 34 days!

Edited by pinkpugsy, 04 August 2013 - 06:43 PM.

#225 BlueMoon3

BlueMoon3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:47 AM

Hey Bluemoon,

No I have not experienced any long term side effects.  I would say the only difficulty I had is the 2nd and third time I took accutane I was clear by the second month and I had a hard time when my dose was upped.  I felt extremely tired like I was on tylenol pm and I love working out and I had really bad joint pain, but it all went away each time I was off of accutane.  Arthritis runs in my family.  I had knee surgery at 16 and was told I would have arthritis.  I recently went to see my dr about it since my knees and fingers were hurting, but I have been working out alot more and harder.  She said I was totally fine and almost everyone gets some for arthritis with age and did not think accutane would have anything to do with it if anything my genes and my knee surgery.  I think everybody has a different reaction, but I can definitely say I have had no long term side effects.  I just started spiro and Minocycline and hoping they work especially the spiro, but have noticed no changes other than having no appetite, but I know it will take a while for it to work. I always thought it was more hormonal, but all my derms disagreed.  I don't have any complaints from accutane other than it being a tease and disappointing since I was so clear and oil free, but it never lasted and once I stopped taking it my skin went right back to how it was.

Blue moon forgot to mention ...Let me know what you end up deciding.  Maybe you can ask your derm which is better

Hey, thanks for your reply! I hadn't noticed until I checked back at this thread. 

I agree, it can be a real tease, as it doesn't feel fair gaining temporary clear skin and then experiencing acne again. Were you on Accutane before you turned 16? I've only been on it once and it hurt my joints so much, especially my back. I'm so desperate for a cure but I'm awaiting blood test results to rule out any possible underlying causes for my acne. I must admit, I'm more tempted to take Accutane again rather than a longterm treatment like Spiro, as I'd rather just be done with acne...But that's quite a lot to wish for! I need to be very patient before I take the leap though, as Accutane won't be successful again if there's an underlying issue. I heard that not drinking enough water whilst on Accutane is what causes the painful joints, and I made that mistake. Perhaps if I keep really hydrated during a second course I won't have the same problem. I did suffer from a lot of digestive issues for a couple of years after it too, which is also why I'm having a hard time trying to come to a decision, as I can't go through that again. The fact that Isotretonoin works on cell-division in the digestive tract as well as the skin, really makes this decision a tough one. I haven't been to see a derm yet, and apparently the waiting list here can take longer than three months! :(

Edited by BlueMoon3, 11 August 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#226 skindeepstory

skindeepstory

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me
  • Interests:Nutrition, Holistic Health, Yoga, Running, Hiking, Cooking, Movies, Music, Aesthetics, Skincare and Cosmetology

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

Hello gals (and guys)!  Today marks the beginning of month 9 on Spiro.  I thought it would be a good time to do a quick update. Actually, knowing me this might be long...

This is my second time on spiro, and it is still my miracle medicine.  I know it doesn't work for everyone.  Sometimes the side effects aren't worth it, and it is so important to listen to your body and your instinct.  Beauty is not worth sacrificing your health.

With that said, I've had ups and downs on this med.  I started at the highest dose, 200mg per day.  A couple months ago I started experiencing pretty intense shortness of breath that was constant for a full week.  I decided to ween down very slowly so my skin wouldn't freak out, but I could feel comfortable breathing again.  As soon as I lowered my dose, the breathing problems went away.  I'm at 175mg per day now, and hope to get down to 150 by the end of the year.  I still have shortness of breath every so often, but it only lasts a few minutes. This has been the only worrisome side effect for me.

Here are some other side effects: I'm thirsty all the time and have to pee a lot, but this is to be expected with a diuretic. My body has really changed.  I'm looking much more curvy and feminine.  I gained a few pounds, but they seem to have all gone to the right places.  Total bonus for me!  I was getting hirsuitism before I started spiro, and my hair stopped falling out almost immediately.  The thicker peach fuzz I had on my face went away in a few months.  I had serious fatigue and moodiness the first few months, but this has completely disappeared.  Actually, I feel more energetic and even tempered than I have in a long time!  Crazy how much normalizing my hormones has changed me externally and internally.

As for the big question - how is my skin? 

A little backstory: I started esthetician school two weeks ago.  I absolutely LOVE it.  Seriuously, it's the best choice I've ever made.  Every day I feel like I'm going to Disneyland.  Anyway, we've been practicing facials on each other and finally, a few days ago, it was my turn to get one.  I was really nervous about revealing my face to the class, but everyone actually remarked on how good my skin looked!  The girl that did my facial was upset because she didn't get to practice enough extractions on me.  She said I had "three clogged pores on my nose, but that's it."  I am still dealing with melasma (a large area of hyperpigmentation that is genetic and aggravated by hormone imbalance and sunlight) and rosacea (redness, visible capillaries, dry and irritable skin which is also genetic and aggravated by the sun).  I've started laser therapy for both of those conditions and it's been making a big difference. 

I still get the occasional breakout.  They are much smaller than what I used to get, not as inflammed, and often just shrink down in a few days.  The upsetting thing is, even though my face is so much better now, if I see a pimple starting to form I immediately feel that same sinking feeling I used to get.  In my head, this one pimple is just the beginning of a whole new huge breakout.  I'm always waiting for my face to start acting up again.  Even though it's taken a long 8 months to transform my skin, it still feels too sudden and a bit unreal.  I guess I don't quite believe it yet. 

I'm posting some updated photos for you.  I took these this morning. 

I really hope this log will help people.  Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions, or just want some encouragement on the journey.  Now that I've started esthetician school, I'm thinking of starting a new log here about my journey.  Stay tuned...

xo

Sierra

http://skindeepstory.wordpress.com

Spiro Month Nine 4
Album: Spironolactone Month 9
4 images
0 comments

Edited by skindeepstory, 08 September 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#227 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:37 AM

hey skindeepstory, thanks for sharing about the spiro. i am so glad you are having such good success with it. your skin looks really good - so nice and clear!! question for you regarding the melasma what is the treatment that you are getting for it? i have had a microlaser peel and 2 ipl's on the area but it does nothing for the melasma patch on my cheek. i was thinking of trying v-beam but wasnt sure if it would work. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users