Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

227 posts in this topic

Day 15 25mg Spiro

Morning, Im feeling mixed feelings. On the bad side I have a wee minor breakout it seems. Over night NIGHT I have accumulated about 5 spots with heads around my chin and mouth area...not good. I don't know if it is the anti-depressants kicking in or what (oh yea I started taking them again 4 days ago) but I don't feel ashamed as I normally would about my skin...I think it is because I believe sooo strongly that Spiro will work for me. It will...right? But then again maybe the anti-depressants have caused this? Who knows. They are a lttle sore and I never get sore spots, they actually seem as though they won't last very long though.

Also I was freaking out today because everytime I play with my hair a few strands fall out. Is this just paranioa?

Anyway hope you are all doing well!

Limited dairy/gluten - everything in moderation - lots of healthy fats, and veggies. Too much fruit breaks me out unfortunately.

-------------------------------------------------------
Prescription:

Isotrex - Active ingredient of Accutane, Isotretinoin (0.05%) Week 2

Medik8 Beta Cleanse - (morning)
Benzoyl Peroxide (10%)
Acne.org Moisturiser mixed with a little Sweet Almond oil
Micellular water face cleanse Garnier - (night)
Eucerin Toner - sometimes if skin is very dry
Isotrex

Happy birthday Sierra!! Ive left it a little late to update my log. Of course I don't mind AT ALL you venting on this page, honestly smile.png I hope you are feeling alright though.

Trust me I completely know where you are coming from, I am convinced I have more down days as opposed to up days I tell you. But when I have a good day honestly it feels so friggin' great, I love it when I have those days. How about when we feel as though we are having a bad day, we remember how good we actually felt on one of our good days, we will just avoid the mirrors and trust our happier feelings to judge how we plan/go about our day? smile.png sounds so easy though doesn't it!

But I believe it is true that, that which we feel on the inside and think about ourselves totally reflects our outer experiences...totally. Therefore maybe when we are having a down-day we could like know how far we have come and how well we have eaten and excersised, but instead of getting discouraged and feeling hopeless that something isn't working we could maybe start to appreciate how our acne OR any other problems are forcing us to make other healthier changes. It is definately a journey and whether thats a long, short, never ending one...we need to trust it and hope for the good times but also feeeeel good too. When we feel good we show that in everything; our body language, our voice, our clothes styles. We are happier and more serene and chirpy smile.png just all because we literally feeeeel grateful, thakful, loved - and as soon as that persistent pang of a negative voice is about to jump in, shut it out. Don't let that b**ch enter in there.

So be chirpy today Sierra, be you. You are amazing, with or without acne. You have lots of things to feel good about just focus on them, not your skin. I remember a post you wrote on your blog and Im sure you had said when you were relaxed and not-stressed your skin felt and looked much better. Well think back to that relaxing feeling! Look how easy it was then to just let the negative sh** drive past you.

Life is beautiful, it is wonderful and full of many surprises. But most importantly life wants to give us what we want but it can't when we focus on the negative things, because it will just give us the negative things. Find the good things (life goals, aspirations, family, friends, hobbies, love..) that are buried underneath that pile of old rehearsed negative chit chat that keeps saying you have bad skin, and realise that you have so so much to offer to life.

I hope you have the very best birthday today, I don't know about you but Im a sucker for cake haha!

Thanks so much Stacey. I feel like I just wrote myself that note! We're very much alike.

That really made a big difference for me and can't tell you how much I appreciate it. You are SO right: "That which we feel on the inside and think about ourselves totally reflects our outer experiences." I actually printed that out and put it on my desk.

I had a great birthday and yes, I ate cake - well, a cupcake - and it was delish!

xo

Sierra

skindeepstory.wordpress.com

1 person likes this

Day 15 25mg Spiro

Morning, Im feeling mixed feelings. On the bad side I have a wee minor breakout it seems. Over night NIGHT I have accumulated about 5 spots with heads around my chin and mouth area...not good. I don't know if it is the anti-depressants kicking in or what (oh yea I started taking them again 4 days ago) but I don't feel ashamed as I normally would about my skin...I think it is because I believe sooo strongly that Spiro will work for me. It will...right? But then again maybe the anti-depressants have caused this? Who knows. They are a lttle sore and I never get sore spots, they actually seem as though they won't last very long though.

Also I was freaking out today because everytime I play with my hair a few strands fall out. Is this just paranioa?

Anyway hope you are all doing well!

Good Morning!

It's great to hear that you aren't letting a few spots ruin your day. I don't know much about your anti-depressant, but I suspect those spots have to do with the spiro. The first few weeks I was on it I definitely dealt with "overnight" pimples and a pretty funky initial breakout. In my experience, this IB just means that the spiro is working!

As for hair loss, spiro does have a tendency to cause it in some people. I was on it for 3 years and my hair fell out a bit more than usual, but it wasn't significant or noticeable to anyone else. What's funny this time around is that it seems like the spiro has actually halted the hair loss I was experiencing before I started it!

You can always back down from the spiro once it starts to work (which is what I plan on doing) by VERY slowly weaning down 25 mgs at a time to see if that helps your hair while continuing to give you clear skin. Of course, check in with your doc before doing so. And perhaps do some research on your anti-depressant and any other medicine you started taking just to make sure they are not the cause.

If it helps to inspire, I just started week 8 yesterday and things are really looking a lot more clear on my end! Some people clear up even faster. I feel VERY strongly that the spiro will work for you. I do! I can't say it enough - it has been an absolute miracle for me and the only thing that has ever worked. And I've read dozens of other testimonials from women who feel the same way.

Stick with it, stay positive and continue to picture yourself with perfect clear glowing skin. It's on the way!!

:)

Sierra

Good Morning!

It's great to hear that you aren't letting a few spots ruin your day. I don't know much about your anti-depressant, but I suspect those spots have to do with the spiro. The first few weeks I was on it I definitely dealt with "overnight" pimples and a pretty funky initial breakout. In my experience, this IB just means that the spiro is working!

As for hair loss, spiro does have a tendency to cause it in some people. I was on it for 3 years and my hair fell out a bit more than usual, but it wasn't significant or noticeable to anyone else. What's funny this time around is that it seems like the spiro has actually halted the hair loss I was experiencing before I started it!

You can always back down from the spiro once it starts to work (which is what I plan on doing) by VERY slowly weaning down 25 mgs at a time to see if that helps your hair while continuing to give you clear skin. Of course, check in with your doc before doing so. And perhaps do some research on your anti-depressant and any other medicine you started taking just to make sure they are not the cause.

If it helps to inspire, I just started week 8 yesterday and things are really looking a lot more clear on my end! Some people clear up even faster. I feel VERY strongly that the spiro will work for you. I do! I can't say it enough - it has been an absolute miracle for me and the only thing that has ever worked. And I've read dozens of other testimonials from women who feel the same way.

Stick with it, stay positive and continue to picture yourself with perfect clear glowing skin. It's on the way!!

smile.png

Sierra

Its funny you are saying good morning, since its already 19.21 over here lol I will be in bed in a few hours! I do believe we are actually very much alike. Out of curiosity what star sign are you?

Thankyou so much for your support and kind words, Im having quite a bad day today...little, and I mean little red spots have appeared too, it kinda sucks. In ways I do hope it is the Spiro BUT I also had some peanut butter the other day and had not ate it for about a few weeks , so I actually thought it may have even been due to that? But I looove PB so frigging much haha so I hope its the Spiro and I hope it doesn't last too long.

Its 100mg your on isn't it? Im soo so pleased you are feeling better about your skin. Really. You deserve to see a huge improvement! Well done for eating the cupcake :) Im an absolute lover of cakes...oaft. I caught up with your blog too and actually left a wee comment on one of the posts! I love reading it because your words actually remind me of my positive attitude about life (when I am actually in that positive mood lol). I have alot of pessimistic days as opposed to optimistic but for the most part I TRY to stay optimistic.

My hair is my pride. So I hope I don't lose too much, I will really cry if I do! Its quite long-ish and curly/wavy but a medium thickness...not too thick not too thin. However I do have a slight receeded hairline and I keep double taking in the mirror as I feel my left side is now a bit more receeded. Its probably just me over-analysing like I always do and creating it though :P

Hope you have a good day lovely x

Limited dairy/gluten - everything in moderation - lots of healthy fats, and veggies. Too much fruit breaks me out unfortunately.

Prescription:

Benzoyl Peroxide (10%)
Isotrex

Thanks for making this Spiro log...i just started today and honestly...i'm terrified. my derm doc didn't tell me ANYTHING about spiro, or that i might have an IB, so i've been doing all of the research myself. Hoping for the best!

Hey I wanted to check in and see how things are going with you and your spiro. Are you still on the 25mg? I am still doing the 100mg and things havent changed much. I am getting little white heads about daily maybe one or two tiny little guys though and I can just prick them and they go away the next day. My forehead has cleared up since starting three weeks ago. I am using witch hazel in my am and pm face wash routine and then every other night I use retin a mixed with my moisturizer. Hoping to kill the ance inside and out! Seems to be doing the trick. It doesn't dry me out too bad and moisturizing helps that out right away. I know the spiro will only stop acne from coming it won't actually heal anything on the outside so we need to treat the acne we already have with topicals or peels or whatever.

Hopefully you are having more good days than bad and the new medication is helping you stay positive! I doubt it is breaking you out though. I am thinking if you feel like you've been breaking out since starting it, you are probably getting the famous spiro IB. The timing is just crappy. Hang in there sweetie time and spiro will heal you up :)

Day 18 25mg Spiro

Evening guys, just a quick update. So Im feeling extrememly low at the moment. The low-ness is due to the fact I had 1 hour sleep, ONE hour sleep, last night before working (6am-2pm). I hate not being able to get to sleep, I feel for me sleeping soundly is like an integral part of what I NEED - but for some reason I find it so difficult at the weekends, before work.

I also feel extremely bloated, I went over-board on the PB yesterday again, and also my period is due today apparantly so it could be that. I just feel horrible and just fat and disgusting. I hate this feeling, I hate it so so much...I normally try my best to look on the positive side of shit but today I'm not having it.

My skin doesn't look too bad, it is not as red as normal which is a good thing, but I still have a few spots im places that have cropped up this past week...I am starting to believe that it is the initial breakout. This is just 2 and a half weeks in so Im thinking and hoping in my mind that by about week 8 I will hopefully see improvements?

I just hope I sleep tonight I have another 6-2 shift tomorrow.

Hey I wanted to check in and see how things are going with you and your spiro. Are you still on the 25mg? I am still doing the 100mg and things havent changed much. I am getting little white heads about daily maybe one or two tiny little guys though and I can just prick them and they go away the next day. My forehead has cleared up since starting three weeks ago. I am using witch hazel in my am and pm face wash routine and then every other night I use retin a mixed with my moisturizer. Hoping to kill the ance inside and out! Seems to be doing the trick. It doesn't dry me out too bad and moisturizing helps that out right away. I know the spiro will only stop acne from coming it won't actually heal anything on the outside so we need to treat the acne we already have with topicals or peels or whatever.

Hopefully you are having more good days than bad and the new medication is helping you stay positive! I doubt it is breaking you out though. I am thinking if you feel like you've been breaking out since starting it, you are probably getting the famous spiro IB. The timing is just crappy. Hang in there sweetie time and spiro will heal you up smile.png

Prescription:

Benzoyl Peroxide (10%)
Isotrex

Day 18 25mg Spiro

Evening guys, just a quick update. So Im feeling extrememly low at the moment. The low-ness is due to the fact I had 1 hour sleep, ONE hour sleep, last night before working (6am-2pm). I hate not being able to get to sleep, I feel for me sleeping soundly is like an integral part of what I NEED - but for some reason I find it so difficult at the weekends, before work.

I also feel extremely bloated, I went over-board on the PB yesterday again, and also my period is due today apparantly so it could be that. I just feel horrible and just fat and disgusting. I hate this feeling, I hate it so so much...I normally try my best to look on the positive side of shit but today I'm not having it.

My skin doesn't look too bad, it is not as red as normal which is a good thing, but I still have a few spots im places that have cropped up this past week...I am starting to believe that it is the initial breakout. This is just 2 and a half weeks in so Im thinking and hoping in my mind that by about week 8 I will hopefully see improvements?

Hey girl,

I'm so sorry to hear you are having a crummy day. One hour of sleep is crazytown! I really hope you were able to catch up. I've also noticed that I am having problems sleeping recently. I have never been a good sleeper, but it's definitely worse than usual. I wonder if it's related to the spiro...it very well could be.

Congrats on two and a half weeks! I see that as two and a half weeks behind you. It's progress! No matter what your skin looks like now, you are moving forward. Trust in this process and know that spironolactone is a journey, not an overnight cure. I am almost done with 8 weeks and I only recently started clearing. But I am and it's really exciting.

Count every new day as a blessing because you are one day closer to your ultimate goal of clear skin. But in the meantime, try to remember to enjoy the NOW, no matter what you see in the mirror. You are SO much more than your reflection!

Sending a hug your way.

Sierra

Thanks for making this Spiro log...i just started today and honestly...i'm terrified. my derm doc didn't tell me ANYTHING about spiro, or that i might have an IB, so i've been doing all of the research myself. Hoping for the best!

Hey there! I'm sorry to hear your derm did not tell you much about spironolactone. The good news is there is tons of info online. Thank goodness for google :)

I don't know what your condition is but I have heard of many women that have no initial breakout. These generally seem to be ladies with less severe acne, but it is totally possible to just clear up with no IB! However, we can't all be so lucky so just remember to be patient with spiro. As long as it's not affecting your health negatively, stick with it because results can take time.

Look forward to hearing your progress!

Sierra

Spiro can make you more of an insomniac. This was resolved for me by taking by morning dose at 8am and my evening dose at 3pm.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

GreenGables

So...this is very difficult for me but I've decided to post a few pictures.

This is me, mid week 8 on spironolactone, BCP, Acanya Gel and HQRA. I am red, inflammed and dry with 3 very non-coverupable acne lesions and lots of half pimples, post inflammatory scarring, blackheads and clogged pores. It's not a pretty picture, but I thought it might give hope to anyone who is at this stage on spiro and not happy with the results.

If you don't know me, I've treated my skin with spironolactone before and I remember it taking a LONG time to finally work. About 4 months. But when it did work it REALLY worked.

I actually looked better a few days ago but I had a major emotional binge and ate everything in sight with sugar, dairy and gluten. It was a lot of self sabotage and caused tons of inflammation to my acne. I'm not proud of it, but it's the honest truth.

My advice for anyone just starting a new acne regime, epecially spiro, is to be patient and help your body along by nourishing it with plenty of whole plant-based foods and do your best to avoid sugar and dairy. Gluten is still controversial but it doesn't hurt to cut it for a few weeks and then test it again to see if it makes a difference.

Are you going to up your dose? Based on your pics I would say you're going to need 100mg to see results.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

GreenGables

Hey :) how have you been doing lately? Im still on 25mg yea, I plan to stay on at this dosage for at least another few weeks to a month. Im so happy to hear that you are only experiencing tiny white heads that clear quickly, that is great. The fact that your forehead is clearing on week three gives me hope! Il be at the start of week three in 3 days but I still have congested skin on my forehead, not so much my cheeks anymore. I have noticed that the redness has gone down ALOT, but I also take 3000iu Vit D a day so I think that could be helping too :) do you take any supplements at all?

I was wondering are you experiencing any other symptoms with the 100mg?

Thankyou for your encouraging words, it really really means alot to me especially on a crappy day like this :) hope your having a good relaxing weekend

I have been doing well thank you for asking. Spiro seems to be working to stop new breakouts from happening. I am maybe getting a tiny whitehead every few days otherwise things seem to be clearing. Forehead is doing good and I have just a few healing whiteheads. I start month 2 next week and I'm hoping for more improvements from here on out! Then I get to continue to work on these red marks I have. I never was able to get rid of them after accutane so hopefully spiro will keep me clear and I can work on the more superficial parts of acne.

I do take supplements, I take fish oil daily and probiotics. As far as side effects or anything no I don't experience anythings out of the norm. I drink more water and use the bathroom a tad more than usual but nothing that crazy. Maybe 2 or 3 times more a day tops. Luckly it hasn't affected me at night at all. I take my 100mg all at once when I wake up. I have thought about splitting the pill and taking 50 in the morning and then 50 at lunch time or something. I'm not sure that would be beneficial or not. Something to think about... How are you today?

Day 18 25mg Spiro

Hey girl,

I'm so sorry to hear you are having a crummy day. One hour of sleep is crazytown! I really hope you were able to catch up. I've also noticed that I am having problems sleeping recently. I have never been a good sleeper, but it's definitely worse than usual. I wonder if it's related to the spiro...it very well could be.

Congrats on two and a half weeks! I see that as two and a half weeks behind you. It's progress! No matter what your skin looks like now, you are moving forward. Trust in this process and know that spironolactone is a journey, not an overnight cure. I am almost done with 8 weeks and I only recently started clearing. But I am and it's really exciting.

Count every new day as a blessing because you are one day closer to your ultimate goal of clear skin. But in the meantime, try to remember to enjoy the NOW, no matter what you see in the mirror. You are SO much more than your reflection!

Sending a hug your way.

Sierra

>Thanks for making this Spiro log...i just started today and honestly...i'm terrified. my derm doc didn't tell me ANYTHING about spiro, or that i might have an IB, so i've been doing all of the research myself. Hoping for the best!

Hey there! I'm sorry to hear your derm did not tell you much about spironolactone. The good news is there is tons of info online. Thank goodness for google smile.png

I don't know what your condition is but I have heard of many women that have no initial breakout. These generally seem to be ladies with less severe acne, but it is totally possible to just clear up with no IB! However, we can't all be so lucky so just remember to be patient with spiro. As long as it's not affecting your health negatively, stick with it because results can take time.

Look forward to hearing your progress!

Sierra

thank you for the advice! :) i guess my acne would be considered moderate, though it is worsened by my extremely combination (namely, dry) skin. i have TONS of tiny white bumps under the skin all over my face (mostly on my cheeks and jawline) and do get medium- large pimples pretty regularly, though NOT cysts. my most consistent form of acne are the small bumps. i've only gotten a cyst maybe 2 or 3 times before i started spiro. i'm starting to wonder if spiro will even help with this kind of acne? i never had a blood test, and my derm kinda seemed in the clouds (she asked her assistant if using makeup with 1% salicyllic acid would make me breakout, has NEVER heard of spiro causing an IB, didn't even ask me or suggest to go on birth control, etc).

Are you going to up your dose? Based on your pics I would say you're going to need 100mg to see results.

Hi! Unfortunately, I'm already at 200mgs a day. At my weight that is the absolute highest dosage I can safely take. I've had clear skin before at 150mg so I feel confident it's just a very slow process for me...

1 person likes this

Hey Zulu :) thanks for taking the time to read my log! I wish you good luck with Spiro. What dosage are you doing?

So...this is very difficult for me but I've decided to post a few pictures.

This is me, mid week 8 on spironolactone, BCP, Acanya Gel and HQRA. I am red, inflammed and dry with 3 very non-coverupable acne lesions and lots of half pimples, post inflammatory scarring, blackheads and clogged pores. It's not a pretty picture, but I thought it might give hope to anyone who is at this stage on spiro and not happy with the results.

If you don't know me, I've treated my skin with spironolactone before and I remember it taking a LONG time to finally work. About 4 months. But when it did work it REALLY worked.

I actually looked better a few days ago but I had a major emotional binge and ate everything in sight with sugar, dairy and gluten. It was a lot of self sabotage and caused tons of inflammation to my acne. I'm not proud of it, but it's the honest truth.

My advice for anyone just starting a new acne regime, epecially spiro, is to be patient and help your body along by nourishing it with plenty of whole plant-based foods and do your best to avoid sugar and dairy. Gluten is still controversial but it doesn't hurt to cut it for a few weeks and then test it again to see if it makes a difference.

Hey love :) I appreciate this post and this is a very brave step for you to post pictures of yourself. I love how you are honest about your binge, have you had any past issues with binge eating or anything? You still look beautiful in your pictures and honestly I wouldn't even notice them if I were to see you in real life because Im pretty sure your personality and charisma would far out weigh any silly blemish!

After I binge, my skin tends to be fine after a good few days to a week. I know exactly how you must have felt after it. That horrible rise of guilt which surfaces every inch of your mind, the feeling of anger at yourself. Its during those times though that we must not get angry with ourself and just acknowledge what happened and be easy on ourselves, we are aloud to live a little and go over board sometimes...we are only human.

I hope your feeling better Sierra, get outside for a lovely walk and see the beauty in life and nature, even go for a nice jog/run. Keep your chin up!

Prescription:

Benzoyl Peroxide (10%)
Isotrex

Day 23 (week 3) Spiro 25mg

Morning guys! How is everyone today then? The weather is absolutely rubbish over here today, I was going to go for a lovely jog but it has unfortunately been postponed.

So today I'm feeling not too bad but not too great either. I actually had a night out the other day to celebrate a friends 21st birthday, I drank a bit much more alcohol than planned (why do I always do that??) and was extremely hungover yesterday. I tend to make bad food choices when I feel like that (thankfully I only feel like that probably once or twice a month) but I ate bread man, BREAD. God.

So I am taking this as a new day and trying to forget about it, fair enough it happend, back to reality. The coming weekend I have made the conscious decision of re-newing my gym membership and starting that up again - I had to take time off with an injury I had suffered. Im excited about starting swimming again though, it has literally been months since I swam! I do work-out almost everyday, well Im active anyway. I try to walk almost everywhere, do work-out dvd's like yoga /pilates, this cardio thing called Turbo Jam - its actually American - which involves alot of kickboxing moves. I tend to make up my own type of workouts since I have equipment at home like my weights and things (I favour weights over everything since they are EXTREMELY beneficial to women). I try to do something everyday anyway.

I actually straightened my hair the other day and have noticed that my hair is fine, totally fine and have not noticed any less hair falling out like what I was at the beginning of taking Spiro. I must have just been paraniod. My thirst isn't even as bad and my urinating os not too drastic either - am I becoming like used to it or something? Is that even possible? Does your boddy accustom to it?

The large spots I had about a week ago are still there but not nearly as bad as when they had appeared, mostly just papule type marks, they are also alot smaller. My period still has NOT appeared it is now 5 days LATE. I hate it when it is late. They are so frigging irregular.

Another good thing I have noticed is I had aalot of small, folliculitis type spots on my back, mostly the upper back and on my chest however the ones on my back have SIGNIFICANTLY cleared, like they aint there at all...it is smooth skin now and I only have about 5-6 tiny tiny spots (skin-couloured). My chest has improved alot too.

1 person likes this

Prescription:

Benzoyl Peroxide (10%)
Isotrex

Hey just wanted to add to this whole thing...for missssac17, I have the same thing with non inflamed bumps all over my forehead and parts of rest of my face. and blackheads. The spiro should really really help with preventing more of these and hopefully get rid of all inflamed zits, but for those non inflamed bumps that are already there the best thing I have found is black soap. Seriously it like draws all clogged pores out. Just wanted to mention this cuz you said you're only cleansing with water, which is loads better than chemical crap or just ineffective facewash (even nice aveda stuff I was using wasn't doing anything or just making my skin red). But black soap actually gets rid of those bumps that are already there that im guessing you've had for a while, as I've had mine for months and was self-extracting cuz I literally could not get rid of them any other way. after extracting they would just refill, fun. SA (salycilic acid) helps too if applied religiously but just wanted to help you with those exciting bumps/blackheads cuz even if you get the hormonal acne under control your existing pores are still clogged and obviously u want to free them up. For me, cutting out dairy (took a food allergy test and I had a medium allergy to ever kind of dairy which was pretty high compared to basically no allergy for other foods) so food tests can be really helpful too, I would have had no idea dairy was impacting me that much if I had not seen it on a friggin graph. food allergies can reallllllly exacerbate hormonal acne. but yeah also mononessa (bcp) has helped too.

I also have pics if you would like to see the current state o' the bumps and the drawing out process. I was diagnosed w/pcos a month ago after feeling really really messed up and weird after going off bcps 8 months ago, (not to mention 0 periods and the worst acne of my life). i too am normal weight (5'8, 138 lbs) but three years of inactivity after a lifetime of being an athlete... + a bad break up... + unlimited access to cupcakes/ice cream/pizza/coffee for way too long (where I worked)... led me to elevated testosterone, cholesterol and a pcos diagnosis cry.gif. It's pretty much gone now (i've been working out like two hours a day) but if you guys have any question/ want to share things you've learned.... lemme know.

1 person likes this

I also have pics if you would like to see the current state o' the bumps and the drawing out process. I was diagnosed w/pcos a month ago after feeling really really messed up and weird after going off bcps 8 months ago, (not to mention 0 periods and the worst acne of my life). i too am normal weight (5'8, 138 lbs) but three years of inactivity after a lifetime of being an athlete... + a bad break up... + unlimited access to cupcakes/ice cream/pizza/coffee for way too long (where I worked)... led me to elevated testosterone, cholesterol and a pcos diagnosis cry.gif. It's pretty much gone now (i've been working out like two hours a day) but if you guys have any question/ want to share things you've learned.... lemme know.

Hi Kelsey!

Your story sounds a lot like mine. I had some PCOS symptoms on and off since puberty, but it wasn't until I quite birth control that my PCOS symptoms came out full force. I am normal weight 5'3" 120 pounds. I've always been conscious of eating right and exercising but the longer I was off the BCP the more tired I became, the less I exercised, and the more I started craving carbs. I gained a bit of weight (nothing extreme, but it was a battle to keep it down) and started experiencing the worst acne of my life (and I've had some BAD acne in my time) as well as a bit of hirsuitism. I also had no periods for 8 months and wasn't ovulating at all. This was exacerbated by some really hard times - boss from hell, lost my job, had to move in with my parents, troubled relationship, etc. Finally I got my PCOS diagnosis and it all made sense.

I just thought I'd share because your story really sounded a lot like mine. I love your natural approach and I too keep it as pseudo holistic as possible. A bit of eastern meets western medicine combined with some good old common sense.

Wishing you all the best on your PCOS journey and thank you for sharing your story!

Sierra

Hi Skindeep! Wow this was so great to hear from you--I read back further on this thread what you've posted and I commend you for your patience: its so not easy. But it seems like you guys have the hard first part of starting spiro under your belt.

I actually initially went off bc cuz I thought I would have more energy to get back in shape; needless to say my understanding of hormones is a bit more advanced now. This is exactly what happened to me "but the longer I was off the BCP the more tired I became, the less I exercised, and the more I started craving carbs." I felt off in other ways too--like I would be cold all the time but really craving cold drinks. I even felt more masculine. My body did not like the hormone imbalance.

My jaw literally dropped when I got my blood results back, because we didn't know exactly what was wrong. I had suspected pcos just from reading randomn boards on here, but nothing like seeing your testosterone elevated to 2x the high end of normal for women (if the range is like 30-100, mine was 200). I went on bcp's immediately after seeing a great, very pro-bc gynocolegist and also felt better basically immediately. I'm kind of curious what my levels are now, & how many ovulation cycles it takes to adjust hormones. This might be the first time in my life I'm excited for menstruating...probably about equivalent to when I was 12.

That's interesting to me that being vegan did not help you at all, because I guess we've seen the obsession with dairy contributing to acne more than a few times. that just shows you how complicated these things can get. I really think that when the hormones get out of balance, it's a lot harder to push them back to equilibrium without some hormonal intervention (bcp's, spiro). For me, bcp's helped give me the energy to exercise again. What you said about a psuedo holistic approach summarized my outlook perfectly smile.png. I've been seeing a naturopath, the gynocologist and an awesome holistic counselor. Some of the naturopaths suggestions have me scratching my head a little--if I ate as many vegetables and seeds as she recommends I would spend half the day chewing and grocery shopping. I'm at the point where I feel guilty eating a smoothie with a banana cuz of "all the sugar".

Oh and there's definitely an interesting genetic/environmental component going on with pcos. I can see now how this developed for me, I never had a problem as a teenager cuz I was so thin/active and then went straight on bcp's, but as soon as i started inhaling sugar in my 20s, I was unknowingly playing with fire. My mom has had acne her whole life, she even still has some after menopause, so yeah. I think she might have a dairy issue and not know as well. It's interesting that we often crave the foods contributing to our issues like sugar and dairy. Doesn't the body know better? smile.png Lastly, have you spent any time on soulcysters? The section about thincysters just made me feel kinda bad.

three years of inactivity after a lifetime of being an athlete... + a bad break up... + unlimited access to cupcakes/ice cream/pizza/coffeeI also have pics if you would like to see the current state o' the bumps and the drawing out process. I was diagnosed w/pcos a month ago after feeling really really messed up and weird after going off bcps 8 months ago, (not to mention 0 periods and the worst acne of my life). i too am normal weight (5'8, 138 lbs) but three years of inactivity after a lifetime of being an athlete... + a bad break up... + unlimited access to cupcakes/ice cream/pizza/coffee for way too long (where I worked)... led me to elevated testosterone, cholesterol and a pcos diagnosis cry.gif. It's pretty much gone now (i've been working out like two hours a day) but if you guys have any question/ want to share things you've learned.... lemme know.

Hey Kelseylee! Thankyou so so so much for relplying to my log. I really really appreciate it. That would be great to actually see some pictures too, if thats alright with you.

I have heard of black soap, but never used it; your right though I do literally only use water, I believe Im actually scared to try any kind of cleanser incase it breaks me out :/ I totally understand that I need to unclog them and bring them out to let them heal, but theres so many its unbelievable and it is mostly on my foreahead!

I also cannot belive that the "three years of inactivity after a lifetime of being an athlete... + a bad break up... + unlimited access to cupcakes/ice cream/pizza/coffee" you mentioned contributed to the increase in testosterone. Im glad that you did get the PCOS diagnosis so at least you knew how to treat it. My levels were of "normal" range but I found out later that actually my androgen levels are just a bit higher. I really do hope the spiro works for me. I was actually on BCP's for 4 and a bit years. I came off them at 19 (Dianette) and my sin was fine until 18 months later, all hell broke loose.

Also its great that your seeing many holistic people, I had never heard of a "naturopath" before reading here on this site, I don't know if we get them in Scotland. With regards to the whole dairy thing, I do eat a limited dairy diet but I do have a coffee or a tea once per day and take milk in that (full fat). I notice too when I eat too much sugar my skin seems to flar up a little bit.

Prescription:

Benzoyl Peroxide (10%)
Isotrex

It’s really awesome to have this log to update on, cuz even tho I’m not on spiro I feel like I’m going through a lot of the same things u guys are.

Ha, so as far as the cupcakes/ice cream/pizza/coffee increasing testosterone—it’s kind of a few degrees of separation thing but there actually is a biological link in the way it played out. But don’t fear—if you put a cupcake in your mouth you’re not going to directly knock your testosterone through the roof…doesn’t work quite like that. It takes a lot more time and basically results when your body does not burn the sugar that you are consuming. So basically, when you’re consuming really high sugar things often, and especially not being super active (I was working on my feet eight hours a day but unfortunately that’s not quite enough), there’s an increased risk of building up insulin in the blood, because that’s what (unused) sugar is converted into. Insulin is actually a hormone. So now you see the start of the hormonal issues. Blood sugar will rise over time as well if this is happening. I wasn’t even probably consuming that many more calories than I did previously, its just that a lot more of them were coming from simple sugars (literal sugar and white flour based things). I had never paid that much attention to nutrition cuz I’d always been really healthy, so I didn’t realize this change in eating was having these kind of effects. Put simply: I used to exercise a lot, and eat a loss sugar, then I stopped exercising, and like doubled or tripled my sugar intake.

Anyway, most things about pcos say it takes place usually as a (build up) result of insulin resistance. I don’t want to box anyone in and say this is the case for all ppl, some ppl might have such a strong genetic component that no matter what they do they wind up with the symptoms…but for a lot of girls, like myself, mine was definitely a combination of nature vs nurture, in that I helped pull the trigger (kind of dislike that expression but it works). But so back to the hormones, the insulin literally builds up in your blood, and your body isn’t able to use all of it for energy, cuz it’s in excess, and then the free insulin ends up working on your other hormones. So basically being on bcp’s, like others have experienced, can be kind of a cover for a lot of pcos symptoms. The bomb doesn’t go off until you stop taking the pills, because basically you’ve been supplementing with “good” hormones (estrogen and progesterone) and when you pull those out of the equation, the testosterone is allowed to shoot upwards because it doesn’t have those female hormones competing for dominance in the mix anymore.

From here you’re basically just screwed because the testosterone becomes dominate very fast. It sends signals to the pituitary gland in complicated ways that I don’t know about which basically creates more testosterone. You stop ovulating etc. Your estrogen/progesterone get very very low. And like skindeep mentioned, you crave carbs really bad. Sugar and bread basically. These things do, esp in a hormonally unstable environment, increase testosterone as well. I hope I am not writing too much here so maybe I’ll bring it to a close but there is a really loose interpretation of how I’ve gleened things to work after speaking to the gynocolegist and hitting up Wikipedia a number of times (as well as reading a fair amount of ‘questionable’ science on the interweb J). If you have anything to correct, add, or personal experiences let me know. Oh and you mentioned it took 18 months after bcp’s for your androgens to get elevated, so that sounds like it means you’re body had a lot easier time fighting to maintain the estrogen and progesterone as dominate, but as time progressed, the androgen slowly crept up a little. I don’t think doctors are quite alarmist enough about elevated androgens because a lot of women, especially those dealing with acne, probably have an androgen sensitivity issue. Like, being on the low end of the testosterone spectrum is probably what your body prefers, so for you, or whoever, even slightly elevated androgens are a problem, even though you fall within the “normal” range.

ok for all my tech saviness I can't figure out the best way to upload a photo. The image button didn't work.

1 person likes this

and hey sorry i didn't answer too many of your q's--too busy trying to be a scientist. but here's what you might want to try. cut out all dairy, even ff milk, for a week. or even four days. I literally lost 6 lbs of water weight within two days of cutting out dairy because of the inflammation it was causing. if you give your body that break, and test out how you feel, you can actually see whether its impacting you, which it might not be. but i saw mine on a test, so i knew. the best thing about cutting it out is that when you add it back in, your body reacts a lot better to it cuz it got that break.

Also--i did cut out coffee. that was hard, but it was causing me anxiety so i did it. i notice you drink coffee, have you tried black tea? if you drink two cups its almost as much caffeine as coffee but the buzz it way less harsh or something. I use soy creamer in black tea. I hope u guys have good alternate creamers there, helps you forget about dairy. I would imagine scotland has naturopaths but i had the best luck with a great gynocolegist, they're rare, but like gold.

Day 27 of 25mg Spiro (Week 3)

Tomorrow will be the beginning of week 4! Wow, I can't believe how fast that feels.

I don't really know how I feel today, I'm quite tired mentally and physically and this is due to hardly ANY sleep over the weekend again due to work. I'm fed up of this whole insomniac weekends, I can't keep this up so I'm thinking of going to the doctors soon about it. I did get a small surprise yesterday when my mum told me her Polish friend Lukas had said to her, "Stacey is looking much better" and my mum had asked, "what do you mean, better?" and he apparantly put his hand to his face and smiled and said "much better" - so I think that's a compliment right?

Well I sure don't as hell feel there is a significant difference, but mind you I did not see him for a good few weeks before Saturday there. I have accumulated a myriad of small spots along my right cheek next to my nose and also on my forehead. My period is STILL late and is now 1 week and 2 days late. I can't stress enough how much this period makes me crave sugar, I am trying my best to avoid it but it is hard, I have had a chocolate bar everyday for the past 5 days. And I feel reeeeeally bad about it. Isn't Spiro ment to help regulate hormones? Or is that if you take it alongside a BCP?

Anyway, side effect wise nothing really new to report. Obviously the trouble in sleeping is apparant but that is only before a shift at work, and its mainly anxiety induced. I am taking an ant-depressant and I have read somewhere online that Spiro can infact cancel out the effects of these, but I don't know how true that is.

I am also considering trying dairy free again, I know I can do it since the only dairy I really get is milk in my tea/coffee and the occasional yoghurt, however I will tell you this now, whenever I eat yoghurt for some reason my stomach gurgles? This definately isn't a good thing is it?

Anyway I shall leave you the now, hope you are all keeping well!

Prescription:

Benzoyl Peroxide (10%)
Isotrex

It’s really awesome to have this log to update on, cuz even tho I’m not on spiro I feel like I’m going through a lot of the same things u guys are.

Ha, so as far as the cupcakes/ice cream/pizza/coffee increasing testosterone—it’s kind of a few degrees of separation thing but there actually is a biological link in the way it played out. But don’t fear—if you put a cupcake in your mouth you’re not going to directly knock your testosterone through the roof…doesn’t work quite like that. It takes a lot more time and basically results when your body does not burn the sugar that you are consuming. So basically, when you’re consuming really high sugar things often, and especially not being super active (I was working on my feet eight hours a day but unfortunately that’s not quite enough), there’s an increased risk of building up insulin in the blood, because that’s what (unused) sugar is converted into. Insulin is actually a hormone. So now you see the start of the hormonal issues. Blood sugar will rise over time as well if this is happening. I wasn’t even probably consuming that many more calories than I did previously, its just that a lot more of them were coming from simple sugars (literal sugar and white flour based things). I had never paid that much attention to nutrition cuz I’d always been really healthy, so I didn’t realize this change in eating was having these kind of effects. Put simply: I used to exercise a lot, and eat a loss sugar, then I stopped exercising, and like doubled or tripled my sugar intake.

Anyway, most things about pcos say it takes place usually as a (build up) result of insulin resistance. I don’t want to box anyone in and say this is the case for all ppl, some ppl might have such a strong genetic component that no matter what they do they wind up with the symptoms…but for a lot of girls, like myself, mine was definitely a combination of nature vs nurture, in that I helped pull the trigger (kind of dislike that expression but it works). But so back to the hormones, the insulin literally builds up in your blood, and your body isn’t able to use all of it for energy, cuz it’s in excess, and then the free insulin ends up working on your other hormones. So basically being on bcp’s, like others have experienced, can be kind of a cover for a lot of pcos symptoms. The bomb doesn’t go off until you stop taking the pills, because basically you’ve been supplementing with “good” hormones (estrogen and progesterone) and when you pull those out of the equation, the testosterone is allowed to shoot upwards because it doesn’t have those female hormones competing for dominance in the mix anymore.

From here you’re basically just screwed because the testosterone becomes dominate very fast. It sends signals to the pituitary gland in complicated ways that I don’t know about which basically creates more testosterone. You stop ovulating etc. Your estrogen/progesterone get very very low. And like skindeep mentioned, you crave carbs really bad. Sugar and bread basically. These things do, esp in a hormonally unstable environment, increase testosterone as well. I hope I am not writing too much here so maybe I’ll bring it to a close but there is a really loose interpretation of how I’ve gleened things to work after speaking to the gynocolegist and hitting up Wikipedia a number of times (as well as reading a fair amount of ‘questionable’ science on the interweb J). If you have anything to correct, add, or personal experiences let me know. Oh and you mentioned it took 18 months after bcp’s for your androgens to get elevated, so that sounds like it means you’re body had a lot easier time fighting to maintain the estrogen and progesterone as dominate, but as time progressed, the androgen slowly crept up a little. I don’t think doctors are quite alarmist enough about elevated androgens because a lot of women, especially those dealing with acne, probably have an androgen sensitivity issue. Like, being on the low end of the testosterone spectrum is probably what your body prefers, so for you, or whoever, even slightly elevated androgens are a problem, even though you fall within the “normal” range.

ok for all my tech saviness I can't figure out the best way to upload a photo. The image button didn't work.

and hey sorry i didn't answer too many of your q's--too busy trying to be a scientist. but here's what you might want to try. cut out all dairy, even ff milk, for a week. or even four days. I literally lost 6 lbs of water weight within two days of cutting out dairy because of the inflammation it was causing. if you give your body that break, and test out how you feel, you can actually see whether its impacting you, which it might not be. but i saw mine on a test, so i knew. the best thing about cutting it out is that when you add it back in, your body reacts a lot better to it cuz it got that break.

Also--i did cut out coffee. that was hard, but it was causing me anxiety so i did it. i notice you drink coffee, have you tried black tea? if you drink two cups its almost as much caffeine as coffee but the buzz it way less harsh or something. I use soy creamer in black tea. I hope u guys have good alternate creamers there, helps you forget about dairy. I would imagine scotland has naturopaths but i had the best luck with a great gynocolegist, they're rare, but like gold.

Good afternoon Kelseylee smile.png

Thankyou for all of this which you have wrote, please do not worry about writing too much honestly. You didn't! You actually made it really clear to me how the hormones work. It kinda makes sense actually how after stopping BCP's we get a surge of the testosterone hormone eventually (obviously due to the fact that we don't have the estrogen or progesterone fighting against each other anymore, is that right?) I have read about androgen sensitivity aswell and I do feel that is what I have, this would also make sense as to why, when I eat more sugar on a particular day and am not as active, I find my acne flares a little.

I wanted to add that during those 18months with clear skin and NO period I was gaining weight (Intentially) I was only just under 7stone before stopping them and ventured on a weight training programme at the gym to gain muscle weight rather than just pure fat. I actually managed to gain about 14lbs (1 stone) in a year and a half. Obviously this would have effects on my testosterone levels surely? Lifting weights? And gaining. I find it kind of hilarious that after suffering an injury in DEC2011 I had to STOP the training, and that coming APRIL2012 I had took on a more womanly figure as opposed to more leaner muscular (still the same weight though) and my period CAME BACK. Along with acne.

So have you ever took Spiro before? Also, what is your actualy regimen atm that you use for your skin?

I have tried black tea and I do actually like it. I am reeeeeally considering going dairy free again, what I am finding right now is after I eat some kind of dairy yoghurt or trifle or whatever my stomache gurgles! But I never get it when I drink some milk with my tea or coffee.

Prescription:

Benzoyl Peroxide (10%)
Isotrex