Photo

Stacey's Spiro Log.

spiro spironolactone clogged pores estrogen progesterone testosterone breakout spots red marks tea tree oil

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
226 replies to this topic

#1 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 155
About Me

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

Okay I have decided to start my own wee log, I've actually always wanted to do one of these as I like writing...well typing. I have a love for words, and I like to use them. I have a pretty major habit of finding words I don't know and keeping a little glossary of them.

Anyway, back to the actual reason for this log. So for a while I have been interested in Spironolactone for my acne, I wasn't too sure I would be able to get it prescribed in Scotland but went to my GP anyway with this doubt in mind - to my bloody surprise she actualy prescribed me it! Ha, I was pretty chuffed. So today was my first day of taking it, 25mg.

My story of my acne is on my profile if you wish to read it, I'm just hoping Spiro does help and I intend of being positive about it - creative visualisation and all that jazz.

I'm keeping this log in the hopes that it keeps me sane and proactive, I have a tendancy to spiral into a little depressive mode where I am extremely negative and I really want to stop this. I will do my bestest to keep it up-to-date and informative about my thoughts, feelings and everything else.

Wish me luck smile.png

Edited by misssac17, 26 March 2013 - 12:09 PM.

DIET
ACCUMAX - 2000iu Vitamin A: 19·6mg Vitamin E: 40mg Vitamin C: 80mg DIM
Solgar - Vitamin A - 5000iu. 
Limited dairy/gluten - everything in moderation.

#2 BMarieWantsNoAcne

BMarieWantsNoAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

Good luck, and I hope it works out for you! :)

#3 skindeepstory

skindeepstory

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

Hi Stacey!

I'm happy to see someone else is just starting spironolactone.  I've been on it for five weeks now at 200 mg per day.  I'm finally starting to see a little bit of a shift in my skin, but it's slow, I mean REALLY slow going. 

The good news is I've been here before.  A few years ago I went on spiro and I remember it took 3-4 months to really work.  I know it can be much faster for some people, but for me it took some time and it got worse before it got better.  But I KNOW it works.  Patience is the toughest part, but I really encourage you to keep hanging out here on acne.org.  Support is crucial.

I am personally too embarassed to tell my friends.  Even my boyfriend hates me right now because he doesn't know why I'm avoiding him.  So it's nice to have people to talk to here.

Keep us updated with your progress.  Just a note.  I've heard about many ladies who started on low doses of Spiro and when it didn't work for them their doctors upped the dose and it made all the difference in their skin.  Starting small is always a great idea though.  Just know that you have that option.

Sierra

skindeepstory.wordpress.com

#4 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:43 AM

Hi Stacey!

I'm happy to see someone else is just starting spironolactone.  I've been on it for five weeks now at 200 mg per day.  I'm finally starting to see a little bit of a shift in my skin, but it's slow, I mean REALLY slow going. 

The good news is I've been here before.  A few years ago I went on spiro and I remember it took 3-4 months to really work.  I know it can be much faster for some people, but for me it took some time and it got worse before it got better.  But I KNOW it works.  Patience is the toughest part, but I really encourage you to keep hanging out here on acne.org.  Support is crucial.

I am personally too embarassed to tell my friends.  Even my boyfriend hates me right now because he doesn't know why I'm avoiding him.  So it's nice to have people to talk to here.

Keep us updated with your progress.  Just a note.  I've heard about many ladies who started on low doses of Spiro and when it didn't work for them their doctors upped the dose and it made all the difference in their skin.  Starting small is always a great idea though.  Just know that you have that option.

Sierra

Hey Sierra smile.png (what a beautiful name btw) thankyou for your encouragement. I was just wondering, why did you originally come off Spiro? And did you notice any side effects the first time around?

Patience is hard to come by, it certainly is a talent we must learn. I have been patient before befor and I'm certainly sure I can do it again, I have wanted to try Spiro for so long now and now that I have finally got it I am pretty chuffed.

Hey, don't feel like you need to avoid people, I think by doing things like that it just creates unwanted tension and negativity. I bet your friends AND your boyfriend would be happy if you opened up to them about it. As people we like to "know" things and learn things, not be left in the dark smile.png

Good morning, I'm just sitting with a hot water and lemon and thought I'd update this wee thing.

So this is day 2 of taking 25mg of Spiro, however I had some trouble last night. It could just be me being paraniod but I struggled to sleep, like really struggled to sleep last night. I went to bed around half past 11 and did not fall asleep until 3.30am. It could be Valentines nerves? Or maybe because I previously read about someone having sleep problems when starting spiro and I got that drilled into my head? I don't know.

The thing about not getting to sleep though is the fact it really worsens my anxiety which effectively worsens my depression. I was on Citalopram 20mg (AD) previously for 2 months but decided to stop taking them - probably not theee best idea, it sounded good in my head though - I just did not want to be tied to a pill anymore for happiness you know? Citalopram did somewaht help my sleeping though, maybe the act of stopping it coupled with taking Spiro is making my sleep worse again and maybe I should take the Citalopram again? I don't know, I guess I will just wait until the Spiro actually gets into my system.

My plan is to take 25mg for a few weeks and then see how I feel, then hopefully pregress onto 50mg.

Happy Valentines day everyone!

Edited by misssac17, 14 February 2013 - 03:32 AM.

DIET

#5 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

hey i felt that way too in that i couldn't sleep when i started taking spiro. so i would take a melatonin around 10 and now i take my spiro like 5 minutes before i fall asleep. you could also just take your pill in the morning too and see how that goes. what i did was i started at 25 then 1 week later i started taking 50 then 3 weeks later i went up to 75 and a few weeks after that my derm bumped me up to 100mg which is what i will stay on since i am starting accutane soon. 

just a note that melatonin is all natural (your body produces this stuff) and you only need 1 pill. i take mine at least 2 hours before bed.

good luck to you and pm if you have any other questions about it.

Edited by tracy521, 14 February 2013 - 01:22 PM.

#6 skindeepstory

skindeepstory

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

Hi Stacey!

Sierra

Hey Sierra smile.png (what a beautiful name btw) thankyou for your encouragement. I was just wondering, why did you originally come off Spiro? And did you notice any side effects the first time around?

Patience is hard to come by, it certainly is a talent we must learn. I have been patient before befor and I'm certainly sure I can do it again, I have wanted to try Spiro for so long now and now that I have finally got it I am pretty chuffed.

Hey, don't feel like you need to avoid people, I think by doing things like that it just creates unwanted tension and negativity. I bet your friends AND your boyfriend would be happy if you opened up to them about it. As people we like to "know" things and learn things, not be left in the dark smile.png

Thanks for the compliment.  I know I should stop avoiding people.  I'm slowly but surely getting out more.  It's crazy how much acne takes over your life!  But, I know ultimately I should just open up to everyone.  The only people that know are my parents and they have been really supportive. 

Anyway, I originally stopped taking it just because I had been studying nutrition and holistic health.  I didn't know at the time that I had PCOS and thought that because I was taking such good care of my health as far as exercising, yoga, sleeping, meditiation, and diet, that my acne would not be a problem.  It took a few weeks before my skin became gradually worse and worse.  No matter what I did.  I changed my diet, tried eliminating all possible causes of the problem, but nothing worked.  After 7 months, when it was undeniable that my severe cystic acne was not getting better, I finally got the courage to be tested and got my PCOS diagnosis. 

Now I'm using both medication (spironolactone, birth control (Generess Fe), and topicals (HQRA and Acanya)) along with my holistic approach to resolve my skin. 

Probably more info than you wanted but like I said, I haven't been telling anyone about my acne so it's all sorta spilling out smile.png

As for the sleeping thing, I never noticed a problem but I generally take my second dose of spiro early (like 5:00pm-ish) and try to exercise every day so my body is tired. 

Look forward to your next update!

Sierra

Edited by skindeepstory, 14 February 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#7 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

Okay I have decided to start my own wee log, I've actually always wanted to do one of these as I like writing...well typing. I have a love for words, and I like to use them. I have a pretty major habit of finding words I don't know and keeping a little glossary of them.

Anyway, back to the actual reason for this log. So for a while I have been interested in Spironolactone for my acne, I wasn't too sure I would be able to get it prescribed in Scotland but went to my GP anyway with this doubt in mind - to my bloody surprise she actualy prescribed me it! Ha, I was pretty chuffed. So today was my first day of taking it, 25mg.

My story of my acne is on my profile if you wish to read it, I'm just hoping Spiro does help and I intend of being positive about it - creative visualisation and all that jazz.

I'm keeping this log in the hopes that it keeps me sane and proactive, I have a tendancy to spiral into a little depressive mode where I am extremely negative and I really want to stop this. I will do my bestest to keep it up-to-date and informative about my thoughts, feelings and everything else.

Wish me luck :)

Hey! I also just started taking spiro.. I'm on my 3rd day at 100 mg. hoping this medication is the one for me... I finished a 7 month accutane course in mid October I was clear until a few weeks ago then bam I woke up with my acne creeping back up on me... So here I am starting spiro and hoping its the fix for me like it has been for so many other ladies. I'm glad to have ran across this topic and hopefully we can all compare our journeys.

Also I'm not sure what time you are taking your pill but my obgyn recommended that I take mine in the morning because people can have sleeping issues. I take mine at 7 am and by the end of the day I have no issues sleeping..

Best of luck!!

#8 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:02 AM

Good morning people, so I don't know what happened to the last post I tried to post...it seems it kind of jelled so-to-speak with my "quoted" post which is weird? I even tried to copy and paste it but it just kept doing it :S I had no idea how to fix it!

I hope this post works out fine. I just wanted to inform you that my stomach is giving me serious grief, like serious grief. I had a small bout of diarrhea yesterday and the full day my stomach was growling and making weird noises, it is also sore when I press on it. It seems I am pretty gassy too :/

I'm not really sure it could be something I ate or what, I only ate an omlette for breakfast with peppers, mushrooms and some salad consisting of tomatoes and sweet corn - I usually eat omlettes fine too with no problems - then all I ate in the afternoon was some dried fruit and a bit of 85% dark chocolate which I LOVE! Then my last meal was a home-made chilli that I made, my stomach was acting up that much that I did not really feel like eating too much.

I did sleep well last night which was a bonus though! :D I took my Spiro in the morning about 10am and I was soo sleep around 10pm, so I think maybe I was just nervous about Valentines Day ha.

This morning, Ive took my spiro at 11am but my stomach is still making weird noises and is still a bit sore...I do think diarrhea is a symptom of spiro, Ive read this, so hopefully it does ease off. I haven't felt hungry all morning weirdly enough and have only had a hot water and lemon but I just poured myself a lovely cup of coffee (40ml FF milk and 1tsp coffee) - this is my ONLY vice. I did go completely caffiene free for about a good month or so, but I had a coffee as a "treat" and after that treat I had the taste for it again. I am trying to limit it, so I am having one maybe every second day which is fine...but I want to try going dairy-free again (bearing in mind the only dairy I ever eat is full fat milk with coffee and feta cheese occasionally) I hate Soya milk though, that gave me realllllllly bad gas. BUT I found this Almond Breeze milk which I have heard alot about in America, so I gave it a go and loved it! It is dairy free too which is a bonus, its just hard because I live with my mum and little brother and theres always full fat milk in the fridge so it is much easier to use it lol.

Hey! I also just started taking spiro.. I'm on my 3rd day at 100 mg. hoping this medication is the one for me... I finished a 7 month accutane course in mid October I was clear until a few weeks ago then bam I woke up with my acne creeping back up on me... So here I am starting spiro and hoping its the fix for me like it has been for so many other ladies. I'm glad to have ran across this topic and hopefully we can all compare our journeys.

Also I'm not sure what time you are taking your pill but my obgyn recommended that I take mine in the morning because people can have sleeping issues. I take mine at 7 am and by the end of the day I have no issues sleeping..

Best of luck!!

Hey thankyou very much :) Im sorry to hear accutane did not work out too well for you, Ive read stories on here actually where people's acne comes back after accutane, that's what makes me believe even MORE that acne is a sympton of a worse cause that accutane cannot fix. I beleieve so much that it is internal, so hopefully spiro will work for you and maybe help balance out your hormones.

Thanks for the tip I have started taking it in the morning :) Im just hoping my stomach issues get better. Im hoping to stay on 25mg for a few weeks and then progress up to 50mg so we will see how it goes. What is your acne like?

All the best for you too!

DIET

#9 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

I love Almond Breeeze hifive.gif

Are you taking spiro with food? It's best to take it with food so it absorbs properly and doesn't give you stomach problems

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#10 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

Hey thankyou very much :) Im sorry to hear accutane did not work out too well for you, Ive read stories on here actually where people's acne comes back after accutane, that's what makes me believe even MORE that acne is a sympton of a worse cause that accutane cannot fix. I beleieve so much that it is internal, so hopefully spiro will work for you and maybe help balance out your hormones.
Thanks for the tip I have started taking it in the morning :) Im just hoping my stomach issues get better. Im hoping to stay on 25mg for a few weeks and then progress up to 50mg so we will see how it goes. What is your acne like?

I thought accutane was working very well actually. I have recently been under a very high stress situation, sure enough my acne started to return. Either the stress caused the acne to come back or it was just going to happen anyways. Either way I am glad I was able to start spiro. I didn't want to do accutane again. I agree acne is internal, I really need to get a food intolerance test done and see if maybe the culprit is something I am consuming often..

My acne right now is just back at the starting stages a couple inflammed zits have popped up and my forehead is breaking out with little non inflammed acne all over. When I met with my obgyn she told me if my ance started to return to tell her right away so we can control it with the spiro and that's what I did. Hopefully I was able to start the spiro fast enough and nothing serious is going to pop up. Crossing my fingers there. How is your acne? Like green gables said try taking the pill with food, that should help with the stomach issues hopefully!

#11 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

Hi Stacey!

Sierra

Thanks for the compliment.  I know I should stop avoiding people.  I'm slowly but surely getting out more.  It's crazy how much acne takes over your life!  But, I know ultimately I should just open up to everyone.  The only people that know are my parents and they have been really supportive. 

Anyway, I originally stopped taking it just because I had been studying nutrition and holistic health.  I didn't know at the time that I had PCOS and thought that because I was taking such good care of my health as far as exercising, yoga, sleeping, meditiation, and diet, that my acne would not be a problem.  It took a few weeks before my skin became gradually worse and worse.  No matter what I did.  I changed my diet, tried eliminating all possible causes of the problem, but nothing worked.  After 7 months, when it was undeniable that my severe cystic acne was not getting better, I finally got the courage to be tested and got my PCOS diagnosis. 

Now I'm using both medication (spironolactone, birth control (Generess Fe), and topicals (HQRA and Acanya)) along with my holistic approach to resolve my skin. 

Probably more info than you wanted but like I said, I haven't been telling anyone about my acne so it's all sorta spilling out smile.png

As for the sleeping thing, I never noticed a problem but I generally take my second dose of spiro early (like 5:00pm-ish) and try to exercise every day so my body is tired. 

Look forward to your next update!

Sierra

Honestly I can totally attest to the fact that it takes over your life Sierra, it does, it really does. And it's sad actually, I mean we are in our 20's and should be "having the times of our lives". I can't even count the number of oppertunities I've missed to go out with my friends because of my skin and to someone without this they must think "what??!" That's good your family is supportive, I actually have more friends that are supported as opposed to my mum to be honest - it seems since I "don't believe her" when she says my skin is fine, I need to get a grip. Yea.

I have read about alot of women having PCOS and Spiro being like a lifesaver basically. I got tested for it too, but my test were in the "normal" range however a year later my doctor actually told me that I have just slightly elevated androgens...why the fuck do they not tell you the figures??
I hope this works for, I actually have no doubts that it will :)

Before trying this I have spent ALOT of money on holistic remedies for my skin. I still eat pretty well though and exercise too and I'm hoping that this helps aswell. As for a face regime though, I only wash my face once a day at the moment with water and spot treat with tea tree oil, if I can that is...its hard because I have all these clogged pores and bumps everywhere but just a few larger cyst type papule things.

Don't worry about "spilling" stuff out because it seems this is a good community for that :)

DIET

#12 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

I love Almond Breeeze hifive.gif

Are you taking spiro with food? It's best to take it with food so it absorbs properly and doesn't give you stomach problems

Thank's Green Gables, I was taking it with food, but just before eating so maybe if I eat half of breakfast first, then take it and finish breakfast. That might work better :)

Almond breeze is great! Its funny I think Scotland is trying to turn into America, Edinburgh has just opened their FIRST Krispy Creme donut shop lol, thank the lord I ain't a donut person.

I was wondering, before you went on spiro did you ever have a lot of clogged/congested skin like bumps?

Hey thankyou very much smile.png Im sorry to hear accutane did not work out too well for you, Ive read stories on here actually where people's acne comes back after accutane, that's what makes me believe even MORE that acne is a sympton of a worse cause that accutane cannot fix. I beleieve so much that it is internal, so hopefully spiro will work for you and maybe help balance out your hormones.
Thanks for the tip I have started taking it in the morning smile.png Im just hoping my stomach issues get better. Im hoping to stay on 25mg for a few weeks and then progress up to 50mg so we will see how it goes. What is your acne like?

I thought accutane was working very well actually. I have recently been under a very high stress situation, sure enough my acne started to return. Either the stress caused the acne to come back or it was just going to happen anyways. Either way I am glad I was able to start spiro. I didn't want to do accutane again. I agree acne is internal, I really need to get a food intolerance test done and see if maybe the culprit is something I am consuming often..

My acne right now is just back at the starting stages a couple inflammed zits have popped up and my forehead is breaking out with little non inflammed acne all over. When I met with my obgyn she told me if my ance started to return to tell her right away so we can control it with the spiro and that's what I did. Hopefully I was able to start the spiro fast enough and nothing serious is going to pop up. Crossing my fingers there. How is your acne? Like green gables said try taking the pill with food, that should help with the stomach issues hopefully!

I had been offered to see a derm to consider accutane by my doc but I think that it is a HUGE step, I actually applaud you for taking it and having a good experience with it. Lets hope Spiro works well for you this time :)

I have always wanted a food intolerance test thing done too but they are pretty expensive and Im not sure if my doctor would let me do it for free on the NHS :/ I guess all you could do is trial-and-error, switch this and that and see what works.

What is an obgyn? I've heard that alot on this site lol. I hope your acne doesn't get any worse but thankfully does not sound too bad but I suppose its more of a mental process isn't it. Um mines right now: I had my period 2 weeks ago and with that I accustomed a few small papule spots around the corners of my mouth and one under my nose..I know for a fact when they heal they will leave a red mark! I have ALOT of tiny tiny spots all over the bottom areas of my cheeks and around my nose, I have currently a large cyst/papule thing on the side of my forehead and many, I mean many, clogged/non inflamed bumpy acne all over my forhead. I seriously hope and PRAY that Spiro helps me out.

DIET

#13 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

Day 5 of 25mg Spiro

Good afternoon subscribers, thought I'd type today smile.png

So yesterday I had a stressssful day, I broke up with my boyfriend of only a month and a bit, but before the act I was EXTREMELY unsetteled. My stomach was churning and nerves were everwhere. I have alot of empathy and compassion and did not want to hurt him, Im very much like that. But its over, and I feel relieved. Anyway, this past weekend I have had not a good amount of sleep :/ I don't know if its the Spiro or just this situation. I'm hoping I sleep well tonight though since I have a free day tomorrow and am not as stressed...I feel good. So I will inform you with that.

You know that annoying feeling when someone (who actually claims to have "severe" acne when its literally just a cluster of about 4 spots around the chin once a month) tells you how you "should" treat your skin? Well I had that today at work. Honestly, I'm fed up with it. I was telling her that I started Spiro and it was making me feel a little sick but Im going to give it time to get into my system. Straight away "Stop it then, don't listen to your doctor, Ive told you HUNDREDS of times (she seriously has) to do the clinique regime, it totally works fast and with help you completely" - well Im sorry but please just stop right there. Im not giving up on my belief that it is INTERNAL and no frigging chemical can sort that shit out. It may help but not indefinately. I get this all the time whenever I'm down at work and need support.

With regards to my SKIN, I'm hating on it right now. Avoiding mirrors like the plague, it just seems to look alot more redder recently and I have a few papules on my mouth area, I put on a clay mask yesterday and to be honest I ADORE my face when I wash that off...it just looks so clear, its weird. I also have loads of under-skin bumps on my foreahead area, all over it...I hate that, they are like skin-coloured but just makes my skin look disgusting you know, Im hoping the Spiro can actually help this.

Ive been contemplating a good exfoliator, any suggestions? I have never really exfoliated - not properly anyway I don't think. I have Paulas Choice BHA 2% liquid cream and used it a couple times but Im confused with it, I didnt know wether to wash it off or not, I never noticed a significant difference really. My regime currently is just wash my face with water-only once per day and sometimes tone with apply cyder vingar and spot treat with tea tree oil...or sometimes I leave it. It is VERY minimal.

DIET

#14 skindeepstory

skindeepstory

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

Day 5 of 25mg Spiro

Good afternoon subscribers, thought I'd type today smile.png

So yesterday I had a stressssful day, I broke up with my boyfriend of only a month and a bit, but before the act I was EXTREMELY unsetteled. My stomach was churning and nerves were everwhere. I have alot of empathy and compassion and did not want to hurt him, Im very much like that. But its over, and I feel relieved. Anyway, this past weekend I have had not a good amount of sleep :/ I don't know if its the Spiro or just this situation. I'm hoping I sleep well tonight though since I have a free day tomorrow and am not as stressed...I feel good. So I will inform you with that.

You know that annoying feeling when someone (who actually claims to have "severe" acne when its literally just a cluster of about 4 spots around the chin once a month) tells you how you "should" treat your skin? Well I had that today at work. Honestly, I'm fed up with it. I was telling her that I started Spiro and it was making me feel a little sick but Im going to give it time to get into my system. Straight away "Stop it then, don't listen to your doctor, Ive told you HUNDREDS of times (she seriously has) to do the clinique regime, it totally works fast and with help you completely" - well Im sorry but please just stop right there. Im not giving up on my belief that it is INTERNAL and no frigging chemical can sort that shit out. It may help but not indefinately. I get this all the time whenever I'm down at work and need support.

With regards to my SKIN, I'm hating on it right now. Avoiding mirrors like the plague, it just seems to look alot more redder recently and I have a few papules on my mouth area, I put on a clay mask yesterday and to be honest I ADORE my face when I wash that off...it just looks so clear, its weird. I also have loads of under-skin bumps on my foreahead area, all over it...I hate that, they are like skin-coloured but just makes my skin look disgusting you know, Im hoping the Spiro can actually help this.

Ive been contemplating a good exfoliator, any suggestions? I have never really exfoliated - not properly anyway I don't think. I have Paulas Choice BHA 2% liquid cream and used it a couple times but Im confused with it, I didnt know wether to wash it off or not, I never noticed a significant difference really. My regime currently is just wash my face with water-only once per day and sometimes tone with apply cyder vingar and spot treat with tea tree oil...or sometimes I leave it. It is VERY minimal.

Hi there.  Oh if I could count the times people gave me advice for my skin...  It's quite silly to think that just because something worked for you it's going to work for someone else.  We are all so unique and the complexity and severity of our skin is different.  There are always going to be opinionated people out there so the best thing to do is remember that they have the best intentions and let it go.  They simply don't understand.

With that said, for many people, spironolactone causes an initial breakout (or IB).  I've heard this is basically the medicine doing its job to clear up the pores that are already clogged.  For me that was the case both times I used it.  It's no fun, but if you know it's going to happen then it's a little easier to digest.  Patience is the key with spiro...

Like I said above, you know your skin best, but what I have heard from every skin expert is when you find a regimine, stick to it!  Don't keep changing things up because that can make your skin worse.  And the second thing I always here is to be very gentle with your skin.  I'm not sure why it's red.  Did you start a new topical?  I recently started new topicals and they caused my skin to be super red and dry so on the advice of my derm I stopped for a couple of days until my skin settled down and then changed the routine to every other day until my skin gets used to the cream.

My only exfoliant is my topical HQRA (Hydroquinone Retin A).  I love it so much because the Retin A helps resolve my acne and the Hydroquinone fades my scars.  But, it's pretty intense so I can't use it every night until my skin gets used to it.  I don't know what would make sense for you, but if you're interested you could always do some research and ask your doc about it.

I am having an okay skin day.  I don't have any huge cysts at all today!  I have a couple medium pimples forming, a few not so fun whiteheads, lots of tiny skin colored bumps (but these have been decreasing every day), and some not so cute healing pimples as well.  But for me, this is a pretty good day.  I have to go out tonight so I'm happy because I can do a decent job covering this up. 

By the way, I took your advice and told my sister about my skin and my PCOS.  She was really supportive.  It's such a relief letting people know about my skin.  I think many ladies who have acne tend to be perfectionists (like me) and it's the hardest thing to show people that we are not perfect.  I have so much shame about my skin and that's the hardest thing to let go of...

Anyway, sending lots of support your way as usual.  Glad to hear the update!

Sierra

#15 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

I had been offered to see a derm to consider accutane by my doc but I think that it is a HUGE step, I actually applaud you for taking it and having a good experience with it. Lets hope Spiro works well for you this time :)
I have always wanted a food intolerance test thing done too but they are pretty expensive and Im not sure if my doctor would let me do it for free on the NHS :/ I guess all you could do is trial-and-error, switch this and that and see what works.
What is an obgyn? I've heard that alot on this site lol. I hope your acne doesn't get any worse but thankfully does not sound too bad but I suppose its more of a mental process isn't it. Um mines right now: I had my period 2 weeks ago and with that I accustomed a few small papule spots around the corners of my mouth and one under my nose..I know for a fact when they heal they will leave a red mark! I have ALOT of tiny tiny spots all over the bottom areas of my cheeks and around my nose, I have currently a large cyst/papule thing on the side of my forehead and many, I mean many, clogged/non inflamed bumpy acne all over my forhead. I seriously hope and PRAY that Spiro helps me out.

I didn't even know anything about spiro or even heard of it until after I started accutane otherwise I would have tried spiro before I tried accutane. It took me years of my dermatologist throwing accutane in my face before I finally caved in a took it. It was a difficult and scary decision. I will admit that. Everyday being on that medication worried me. Anything going on with my body I was worried accutane was causing it. And I am somewhat sure it did, like sore back and joint pains. Somedays I felt like I was a 90 year old woman. With really chapped lips haha. I am really hoping that spiro is the answer for me. I always would read green gables posts about spiro and she would say try spiro if accutane failed and that is what I am doing.

I haven't looked into getting a food intolerance test done yet. I always figured insurance would cover it.. Maybe that isn't that case. I should look into it because my luck I'm allergic to gluten or something and I don't know it and I am in love with breads. I suppose the try and test it out method would work too but that is a lot of time into cutting things out and playing the waiting game. I'd rather have the test done if it is cost effective for me.

An obgyn is a gynecologist and obstetrician. In the us you would see a obgyn while you are pregnant and to get pap smears and birth control and all your womanly stuff. A general practioner would be able to do most of the same things a obgyn would. A obgyn is just specialized in it. My obgyn is very open to the idea of acne being hormonal, my dermatologist never even wanted to explore that idea which seems pretty close minded ya know?

Sounds like spiro should do the trick for your skin. Do you plan on going on a higher dose? My obgyn started me at 100mg daily and said she will take a look at me in 3 months and see if she needs to build me up too 200mg even. She didnt seem shy about me starting at 100. 25mg seems so low compared. I suppose it is best to get clear on lower doses if possible. That makes more sense to only take the amount of medication it takes to clear you.

Your right thought waiting to get clear from medication is all mental. I am used to the waiting game though. I was breaking out on accutane until my 4th month on the medication. While it seemed everyone else was clearing in month 2 and 3 I was still getting acne daily. It was quite a mental struggle. Once you commit to taking a medication and put your faith into it, it is easy to become discouraged when you aren't getting the results you expected as quickly as you would like.

Edited by BeautifulDisasters, 17 February 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#16 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

Yes, my chin was quite congested with the small bumps.

I should iterate here that spiro prevents new acne but it does not heal existing acne. If you have a lot of clogged pores that are not resolving, you WILL need to use a topical such as Retin-A or get some salicylic acid peels (10% or higher) to clear those out. When my actives were gone I still had a number of clogged pores that required several months of Retin A and a 10% salicylic acid gel to clear up.

Edited by Green Gables, 18 February 2013 - 03:20 PM.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#17 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:15 AM

Day 8 of 25mg - Good News.

Morning guys! Hope you are all doing well :)

I actually am feeling alright today for some reason - this is a good thing! Sadly I don't have any lemons so I'm not drinking my hot lemon water, so Im having a wee cup of tea instead, with milk too. Yesterday I had quite a day with food, for some reason I cannot resisit the scrummy hot Mochas at the college, like ohmygoodness it is like heaven in a cup. I normally manage until Friday to treat myself with one but I kinda went mad. For some reason I was in the mood to get a bit drunk, but after half of my phone book refused the pub idea I just left it. Instead though I wallowed my way through some Bramley apple pie and ice cream - 2 servings. I feel a bit sick today because of it lol

Now I don't normally wash my face in the morning, but some days it looks kinda red and my hyperpigmentation marks are very noticable and it can be more bumby. Today it looks not too bad, the marks on the far sides of my cheeks (sideburn area) are practically non-existant, and the right side feels...smoooooth. The only thing that looks bad on my skin currently - minus the BUMPS - is this cystic pustule thin at the top of my uni-brow, have you ever had a large spot burst during the midle of the night and its all blood red in the morning? Well that's what has happened - it looks like an extraction gone wrong.

Im trying my bestest to stay positive about everything, and I am. Ive been wanting to go on Spiro for almost a year now, it really did appeal to me when I decided not to go back on the BCP's, which I was on for 4 and a half years. I am pretty confident about it.

Also I am extremely happy to report that the bacd stomach issues AND horrible diarreah (sp?) I was experiencing has actually ceased! Thank goodness :D On top of this I have been experiencing an increased in lethargy and get pretty knackered around half 11am ish/12ish but I have been sleeping like a charm. The only thing that is kinda bugging is the increased thirst now, but I do not mind this one bit.

Have a lovely day guys, hopefully it is sunny where you are today, its pretty cold and bleak up in Scotland, no rain though so theres a plus!

DIET

#18 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:53 AM

Hi there.  Oh if I could count the times people gave me advice for my skin...  It's quite silly to think that just because something worked for you it's going to work for someone else.  We are all so unique and the complexity and severity of our skin is different.  There are always going to be opinionated people out there so the best thing to do is remember that they have the best intentions and let it go.  They simply don't understand.

With that said, for many people, spironolactone causes an initial breakout (or IB).  I've heard this is basically the medicine doing its job to clear up the pores that are already clogged.  For me that was the case both times I used it.  It's no fun, but if you know it's going to happen then it's a little easier to digest.  Patience is the key with spiro...

Like I said above, you know your skin best, but what I have heard from every skin expert is when you find a regimine, stick to it!  Don't keep changing things up because that can make your skin worse.  And the second thing I always here is to be very gentle with your skin.  I'm not sure why it's red.  Did you start a new topical?  I recently started new topicals and they caused my skin to be super red and dry so on the advice of my derm I stopped for a couple of days until my skin settled down and then changed the routine to every other day until my skin gets used to the cream.

My only exfoliant is my topical HQRA (Hydroquinone Retin A).  I love it so much because the Retin A helps resolve my acne and the Hydroquinone fades my scars.  But, it's pretty intense so I can't use it every night until my skin gets used to it.  I don't know what would make sense for you, but if you're interested you could always do some research and ask your doc about it.

I am having an okay skin day.  I don't have any huge cysts at all today!  I have a couple medium pimples forming, a few not so fun whiteheads, lots of tiny skin colored bumps (but these have been decreasing every day), and some not so cute healing pimples as well.  But for me, this is a pretty good day.  I have to go out tonight so I'm happy because I can do a decent job covering this up. 

By the way, I took your advice and told my sister about my skin and my PCOS.  She was really supportive.  It's such a relief letting people know about my skin.  I think many ladies who have acne tend to be perfectionists (like me) and it's the hardest thing to show people that we are not perfect.  I have so much shame about my skin and that's the hardest thing to let go of...

Anyway, sending lots of support your way as usual.  Glad to hear the update!

Sierra

Hey Sierra how have you been doing? I completely and utterly agree that we are ALL unique, so so unique infact. I know people in the world - normal people lol - try and be nice and supportive and think giving advice is needed, but it is hard to explain to a non acne sufferer about how diet, hormones, stress etc can ALSO contribute to this isn't it? I just need to bite my tongue and not say a word. My real friends are the ones who support what Im doing and wish the best for me and don't try to tell my what to do.

I totally agree with you to stick to a cleansing regime - Ive been doing what Im doing literally for about a month and a bit now. I just wash my face late afternoon (once a day) and let it dry for an hour and apply tea tree oil or apple cider vinegar if it is dry. I haven't used a topical in about 2 months, I gave them up and relaised ..well thought my acne would heal itself without it once I fix inside my body and when it is balanced, however I am considering a good exfoliating regime, so Im still looking into that. I also take supplements (3000iu vit D - I have slowly upped to this - 24mg Zinc, and cod liver oil every other day) I was looking into L-carnite or something? Apparantly it is meant to be good for healing your digestive system.

Did you find you got an IB on the HQRA? The only retinoid I have tried is Differin, but even by taking a pea sized amount it burned my face over time, and I had these burns on my skin for a good few weeks...that's when I decided to stop ALL topicals and just focus on tea tree oil. Good to hear you were having an okay skin day the other day. I am today! Woo. Hope your night out went well.

I have been reading your blog from the beginning Sierra and I must say it is amazing. I try to read a bit when I get time, Ive managed to read all posts of the Dec 2012. You are actually a little like me, I like to call myself a hippie and love the holistic approach to life. I have never read "the power of now" but it sounds like something I'd be interested in. I like the idea of being in the present moment, it is ahrd to do though with all the mind chatter that runs through your head, do you ever meditate?

There is a book that I read on and off and it is called "Your life was never meant to be a struggle" by Roy E Klienwachter, I think you would like it, he is very interested in the idea that we are here in this life to learn things and we chose our parents accordingly before birth to make sure we live our lfie purpose through the life lessons that they teach us. This book also refers to "manifesting" - a subject I love dearly - and how when we focus positively and BELIEVE and KNOW that we will have something, we will.

I know it is very hard to be un-perfect so-to-speak but sometimes we need to show the world our vulnrability and rely on others for a time to make us feel better. We can't always have a braze face and expect everything to go as plan, life isn't like that, its forever changing, it likes to keep us on our toes! I like to say "Happiness is fleeting" - I totally believe this, we need to change this though and attempt to stay happier for longer and if this means opening up to someone who we trust and effectively understands, they can keep encouraging us to 'keep on keeping on'. Then hopefully we will feel so relieved and even happy to have opened up in the first place :) some people in the world like to know things, and maybe by telling people our own stories they can then be inspired to share their own and maybe even help others out. Im glad your sisteris supporting you :) really, so happy you spoke to her about your PCOS.

Take care!

DIET

#19 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:09 AM

I didn't even know anything about spiro or even heard of it until after I started accutane otherwise I would have tried spiro before I tried accutane. It took me years of my dermatologist throwing accutane in my face before I finally caved in a took it. It was a difficult and scary decision. I will admit that. Everyday being on that medication worried me. Anything going on with my body I was worried accutane was causing it. And I am somewhat sure it did, like sore back and joint pains. Somedays I felt like I was a 90 year old woman. With really chapped lips haha. I am really hoping that spiro is the answer for me. I always would read green gables posts about spiro and she would say try spiro if accutane failed and that is what I am doing.

I haven't looked into getting a food intolerance test done yet. I always figured insurance would cover it.. Maybe that isn't that case. I should look into it because my luck I'm allergic to gluten or something and I don't know it and I am in love with breads. I suppose the try and test it out method would work too but that is a lot of time into cutting things out and playing the waiting game. I'd rather have the test done if it is cost effective for me.

An obgyn is a gynecologist and obstetrician. In the us you would see a obgyn while you are pregnant and to get pap smears and birth control and all your womanly stuff. A general practioner would be able to do most of the same things a obgyn would. A obgyn is just specialized in it. My obgyn is very open to the idea of acne being hormonal, my dermatologist never even wanted to explore that idea which seems pretty close minded ya know?

Sounds like spiro should do the trick for your skin. Do you plan on going on a higher dose? My obgyn started me at 100mg daily and said she will take a look at me in 3 months and see if she needs to build me up too 200mg even. She didnt seem shy about me starting at 100. 25mg seems so low compared. I suppose it is best to get clear on lower doses if possible. That makes more sense to only take the amount of medication it takes to clear you.

Your right thought waiting to get clear from medication is all mental. I am used to the waiting game though. I was breaking out on accutane until my 4th month on the medication. While it seemed everyone else was clearing in month 2 and 3 I was still getting acne daily. It was quite a mental struggle. Once you commit to taking a medication and put your faith into it, it is easy to become discouraged when you aren't getting the results you expected as quickly as you would like.

It certainly would be difficult to mentally digest the fact you are intolerant to gluten wouldn't it? It is in most things. Recently I have been obsessed with searching online for recipes without gluten ingredients (alot of Paleo websites) I myself eat a limited gluten and dairy diet. I have not ate bread since October, and I tell you it was one of theee most diffiult things for me to give up since I ate so so much of it. So believe me when you say you love bread, I did too! I could never imgaine my life without a yummy big slice of bread toasted with a big dollop of PB smeared on top, and it I was feeling naughty (which I mostly always did) I would put some dark chocolate drops on top so the chocolate would melt! Now that was heaven to me. But now I can't think of any other reason why I'd want to eat bread. I don't care for it anymore.

Ah, I understand what an obgyn is now! I actually wish we had them over here, would be good to have someone specialist in that area. I have actually been intrigued to go and visit an endocrinologist and check out my hormones more thoroughly. Ive never visited a derm but Ive heard alot of mixed reviews on here with them. they do sound pretty closed minded, then again Im pretty biased since I believe wholeheartedly that the government keep us suffering to just get our money from the purchase of many topicals, anti-biotics and such. Therefore say there was a cure or a cure through diet that could be more emphasised, I beleieve they would just totally dismiss it. Theres this thing the now in the UK where there is going to be a 20% tax on ALL soft drinks and junk foods in the hopes of curbing the obesity epidemic.

Thankyou for your kind words :) I do plan on going upto 50mg soon enough, perhaps in about a few weeks. 25mg does seem very low compared to 100mg, it makes me wonder if you would experience more side effects, like increased thirst as opposed to myself? Then again I suppose it will affect everyone differently. I actually read a thread about a girl who got clear after 9 months on 25mg and had little to no side effects, that really appeals to me. Mind you it is a long time.

It is easy to get discouraged but that's why I enjoy this website since you have alot of wonderful people who can help you feel more upbeat and help you keep fighting! I hope you don't discouraged, just envision how you would like yourself to look in the next few months and smile :) KNOW that you'll have it! (easier said that done I know lol)

DIET

#20 MissSac17

MissSac17

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

Day 9 of 25mg

Ive felt a little discouraged today. I hate how days can be so juxtaposed...one day your amazing, the next your low.

Thankfully Im not experiencing major side effects :) Im just hating on my skin today, I kinda caught my face in a small mirror at college (BAD lighting, you know that bright florescent one - doesn't help that the walls and everything else is white.) and I noticed that there are actually so many bumps all over my forehead, like skin coloured but all frigging over. It just looks so disgusting to me and I hate knowing that its on my face like that.

I also went to the bathroom at college, and just about as I was leaving three girls walked in, they were from a Beauty therapy class so they had all their hair and make-up done perrrrfectly. And there was me. Infront of them trying to get past. I heard them giggling alot after I walked away...I KNOW they may probably not have been giggling at my skin or whatever but it just seemed to heighten my total HATE for my skin today. Acht.

I used a clay mask again today, I mix Bentonite Clay with apple cider vinegar, I do actually like it and probably only use it once/twice a week max. I like feeling it pulsating and imagining it cleaning my skin. Im actually considering getting some sort of facial or something, maybe to try and extract all these bumps or something, I dunno, I shall look into it!

And another thing I wanted to mention I noticed on my Spiro the brand name is Actavist, I am guessing that this is a generic brand? I hope it doesn't mean it is less effective than Aldactone.

DIET