Caveman Regimen - Dead Skin

4 replies to this topic

#1 seroyal223

seroyal223

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

Hi there, short background first: I'm 18 and got acne when I was 15, started using some really harsh cleansers and products and my skin got really dried out and sensitive. My cheeks got it the worst. I quit the harsh products last year and tried to heal my face with just gentle moisturizers, but that didn't work either, my acne and sensitivity just wasn't going away. 

SO 3 months ago I started the caveman regimen to let my skin heal and rebalance on it's own. About a month and a half into it my acne completely stopped, and my forehead and and jawline are now looking great and almost totally clear, except for a few old flat marks that are still fading.

My cheeks are a different story though. After doing the caveman for a couple of weeks, my cheeks built up this insanely thick dead skin mask. It got to the point where my cheeks were so covered in this gross dead skin that I couldn't even see the skin underneath. I left it on for a while because I figured it was good for healing, but I inevitably caved and took it off yesterday cause I couldn't stand how disgusting it looked, I could hardly even look people in the eye with that thing on my cheeks.

Now I'm starting to wonder if that was a mistake though. The skin underneath looks pretty red and raw today (much moreso than before I started this). And the acne marks I had on my cheeks are a lot better, but they still haven't fully healed. I know most of that redness is just temporary irritation from removing the dead skin, but I'm still worried I may have interrupted the process.

I know some people on this board have done or are doing the caveman now. Does anyone know if taking the dead skin off before it comes off on it's own is a mistake? I left it on for almost 3 months but I'm still worried my skin won't heal now without it

P.S. I highly recommend the caveman for anyone with skin that's been very stripped and dried out from product use, since like I said, all my acne completely stopped.

Edited by seroyal223, 13 February 2013 - 12:03 AM.

#2 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

No. It's not a mistake. It serves no purpose. Just like the not letting any water touch your face thing serves no purpose. Unless you are hyper sensitive to the minerals or chlorine in your water, but most people won't be. The only issue is that you let it build up in the first place, and then possibly irritated your skin with what you had to do to get it off. Try Wiping your face with a clean damp cloth every day instead.

Not stripping away your acid mantle with alkaline cleansers or using harsh topicals s a good thing. That part is true.
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#3 seroyal223

seroyal223

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

No. It's not a mistake. It serves no purpose. Just like the not letting any water touch your face thing serves no purpose. Unless you are hyper sensitive to the minerals or chlorine in your water, but most people won't be. The only issue is that you let it build up in the first place, and then possibly irritated your skin with what you had to do to get it off. Try Wiping your face with a clean damp cloth every day instead.

Not stripping away your acid mantle with alkaline cleansers or using harsh topicals s a good thing. That part is true.

Well I was kind of buying into this theory that it served no purpose, which is why I took it off, but what;s bugging me is that my skin underneath does look a lot better in many ways. All my PIH marks look twice as good as they did before, and my skin looks more hydrated, so I believe now that it was a mistake to remove it since it was hydrating and protecting my skin as it renewed itself. I only pray now that if I continue not washing my face the dead skin will return

#4 CaveOx

CaveOx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

Hey all, got a similar question.

Today is my 28th day on the regimen, and I’m not sure where to go from here. I’m splashing with water once every other day. Before the regimen, my skin was clear but oily and slightly red. I was using Cetaphil wash and gentle moisturizer twice a day prior to the regimen. Years of bp/Retin-A/Accutane before that.

Anyway, my skin has not really improved on the caveman yet. It’s as red and oily as ever. My cheeks and forehead are covered in dead skin and brown patches, but it’s not really visible except after a shower. My face is mostly clear, but I do have a lot of little red bumps on my forehead, which is new for me.

Any opinions? Not sure if I should exfoliate, give it another couple weeks, or just go back to my old method. Diet is about 80% paleo.

Thanks!

#5 ohnelly

ohnelly

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I'm interested in making my face nice again, if that's possible.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

Hey Caveox,

I am on day 20 of the water only regimen.  I just let warm water run down my face for a few seconds in the shower everyday and then towel dry. 

My face looks worse than it ever has in my life.  I have whiteheads and red splotches all over.  I'm really starting to lose hope. 

I didn't get the skin mask, just flaky skin here and there.  A lot of flaky skin the first week but not as much any more.

Also, seroyal, did you go through a purging period or worsening period?  I'm trying to gauge whether or not this water only is working for me.  My skin is worse than ever and I'm only 20 days in.  No cysts though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users